hulika

Author Topic: How many of you have boutique pedals but don't own a tube amp?  (Read 31454 times)

Offline Tiger Balm ^_^

• Veteran Member
Re: How many of you have boutique pedals but doesn't own a tube amp?
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
haha  :-D
my mint ds1+cash for ur ds2 :)

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
ako puro talent lang...

nyahaha joke lang.

no botiques and no tubes. pero id like to have a portable tube amp first...

teka meron ba nun?
strum away!

Offline juzaen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 09:55:28 PM »
Kung ang tanong eh, "How many of you have boutique pedals and tube amps but don't have any guitar skill?", unang una na akong magtataas ng kamay.
:-D ang cute..
MY TOYS: 2001 Gibson 1958 Reissue, MesaBoogie subway blues, Springfield armory XDM 40sw, CZ SP01 shadow and MY GLOCK 23 40sw

Offline tackielarla

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »

teka meron ba nun?

Peavey Royal 8, Epi Valve Jr, Blackheart, Fender Champ, etc. :)

Ako, wala (pati talent). :-D But I always have fun when I'm playing. :-D
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »
I got my zen and its been in the cabinet ever since i got it. I

Akin na lang!!!

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 10:55:25 PM »
Ako walang tube amp (balak bumili) and wala ding bowteek pedals. Pero hindi rin talaga ako nahilig sa pedals kahit noon pa. I have a Marshall MG50DFX, my first real amp compared to what I had before. I've been plugging the guitar directly to it most of the time. I've been through a couple of pedals and a couple of MFXs but what Im really doing is emulating the sound of direct to amp plus other effects. So tama yung sinabi na pedals should be there to enhance guitar + amp. Now Im using a Maxon OD808, it doesn't change the color of the sound of the amp but it added singing sustain, "balls" and more "in your face" tone. Kuntento pa ko sa tunog ko ngayon, pag hindi na tsaka na ko bibili ng tube tamang Classic 30 siguro. For me I have to outgrow gear first and realize maturity, para pag nagpalit ng amp mas maapreciate mo yung difference. Ang masama naka tube and bowteek ka but for you and the listeners you still sound the same nyak!!!
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 12:17:36 AM »
guilty!

but i HAD a tube amp. i bought a peavey valveking 112 and didnt like it at all. took it back to the store. in the meantime, naka marshall mg50dfx ako 'til i can afford a real marshall tube amp.

hey, i have to get some good distortion from somewhere in the meantime right? :-) boutique distortion pedal owner here.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 01:34:53 AM »
i set out to invest in a good tube amp first. to me, it didn't make sense to spend good money on pedals designed to emulate a tube amp when I didn't even have one to begin with so, i started playing with basic stuff then upgraded over the years to a few nice guitars and nice amps. i've always thought of pedals as "dressing" to a fundamental tone which largely comes from the guitar and amp themselves.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline rasj76

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2008, 02:22:05 AM »
the evolution of my guitar related toys started with a marshall avt100 amp and boss/digitech/mxr stompboxes. from these mass produced pedals i slowly accrued what others call "boutique" pedals that ranged from voodoo labs, barber electronics and fulltone stompboxes. playing them through a tranny (or a hybrid amp in my case) sounded like there's something missing and i knew I had to get a tube amp so i decided to invest (if thats the right word to use???) on a tube amp and bought myself a Peavey JSX 212. the sound difference was MASSIVE!! i was suddenly a tube amp devotee. i enjoy my pedals more than when i played them through a tranny.

i always believed that "boutique" pedals are designed for use with a tube amp in mind. the majority of high gain "boutique" distortion or "boutique" overdrive pedals would sound lame IMHO (sounds like crap!!!) when played through a tranny because there are no tubes to drive into saturation the way the pedals were designed to do.

a cranked tube amp and a great guitar can only do so much. it'll work if you play blues or if you want to sound like angus young. but if you wan't to paint sonic landscapes the way gilmour, the edge, hendrix do you'll need them stompboxes. it's like a painter with only charcoal and a paper to work with. sure he can do sketches but how many shades of black can you get. give him a canvass, paint and an assortment of brushes and he can do much more.

it's true boutique pedals sound better played through a tube amp but them tube amps are darn expensive. but it's all good though. whether you own "boutique" pedals and play them through a solid state amp because in the end, as the great eric clapton used to say: "...it's in the way that you use it..."
:mrgreen:

just my two cents. :wink:

peace! 8-)

Offline Kulas

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2008, 03:33:28 AM »

teka meron ba nun?

meron pre, yung ibanez valbee, hehe. maliit lang yun. 5w tube amp. meron pa isa, yung zvex nano amp, it's a .5w amp head, hehe. ayos din eh, all tube pa! hahaha!

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2008, 03:53:44 AM »
No boutique pedals, but two Fender (one BF and one SF) amps here.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »
i got no bowteek pedals...its too pricey for me...still dreaming to have one (kahit FOXROX ZIM lang:-D)i got a peavey delta blues though...it changed my view on how a guitar tone should be...parang mas "organic" pag sa tube ako nakasaksak...since last year most of the time i'm just plugged in straight with it...minsan i'd add and SD2 & a wah...well, thats just me...problema lang, mabigat dalhin... :-D 8-) :-D
black moon creeping...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
For me its amps amps amps. The less pedals the better. :D

I only have maybe 4 boutique pedals and honestly, only use 1 of em. Hahah. I got my zen and its been in the cabinet ever since i got it. I only go into boutique pedals after i got the amps I wanted.

As for gigs, sometimes i just bring my guitar cable amp and footswitch (boss tuner in the case) and its far more reliable than having a pedal board. I wont be doing this anymore though since Ians got my baby now. hahaha :evil:

Oh yes, she is mine now!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »
ako may tube amp, for home use only, and isang napakasimpleng pedal set up (od/distortion at delay), ok na yun. praktis lang ng praktis...  :-D

itchybrain

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »
I dont think boutique has anything to do with price... its more about low production runs and small shop.

Korek. Our local boutique pedal makers are really great craftsmen. Most importantly, di sila mahal maningil! :-D

Ako walang tube amp. Tube lang. Sinubukan kong ilagay sa  Fender Sidekick ko ayaw pumasok. hehehe. :-D

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Korek. Our local boutique pedal makers are really great craftsmen. Most importantly, di sila mahal maningil! :-D

Ako walang tube amp. Tube lang. Sinubukan kong ilagay sa  Fender Sidekick ko ayaw pumasok. hehehe. :-D

baka makuryente ka nyan bro...  :lol:

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »
ako i have boutique pedals pero walang tube amp. i have a lowly roland cube 40 at home for practice, pero it takes pedals well. ang rationale ko naman kasi dun eh hindi ko naman mabibitbit yung tube amp to gigs or tugtogs eh, minsan nga yung tugtog requires me to go direct to the mixer pa. so parang kung sa bahay lang naman, ok na ako dun sa cube. though i would love to have a tube amp some day, pero hindi sha top of my priorities (priority na nga top pa, hehe) and, kung sa tinutugtugan mo eh matchless independence 35 yung gamit mo eh wala talagang tatapat na tone dun (matchless nga eh, haha) so parang might as well not. so ok na ako sa pedals muna.

same situation tayo sir! :)
"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 09:48:01 AM »
I dont think boutique has anything to do with price... its more about low production runs and small shop.

you have to admit, it does have something to do with the price... most if not All bowteeks are pricey because of the same reason you say so yourself: "its more about low production runs and small shop. "

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »
Oh yes, she is mine now!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

you bought an amp from him? which one?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
some really cheap pedals, a peavey classic 50 and crap for talent... sigh...
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »
meron pre, yung ibanez valbee, hehe. maliit lang yun. 5w tube amp. meron pa isa, yung zvex nano amp, it's a .5w amp head, hehe. ayos din eh, all tube pa! hahaha!

ayus ah.. medyo di ko lang feel yung ibanez. heheh. ewan ko ba. hahah.

nway, parang di tayo nagkikita sa gma ano dito pa nag-usap? hahah.

FYI nakaka-gas kausap tong si peewee. wag niyo kakausapin ng personal!!! hahah
strum away!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
you bought an amp from him? which one?

Hehe yep, I bought Miks' Budda Superdrive 30 1x12 combo plus an extra headshell should I opt to got for a head + cab setup :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »
Ako walang tube amp sa bahay. Pero sa jamming place ng drummer namin, naka laney pure tube ako. So I have both; a tube amp and boutique pedals (mesa,carl martin) :-D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
I didn't buy a tube amp because i never bring my amp to gigs  :-) And if i do, it's usually a small party so i bring my really transparent Laney LG20R which is really just to serve the purpose of "making the guitar louder" and nothing else

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
count me in I guess...

i own a crunch box & a blues pro.

Marshall Valvestate 8040 (solidstate on clean/12ax7 driven on dirt channel)