hulika

Author Topic: Please help: I want to learn Jazz Music  (Read 10471 times)

Offline kurtomen

Please help: I want to learn Jazz Music
« on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

Gusto ko lang sanang huming ng payo sa mga Jazz guitar player dito sa PM. Kadalasan kasi puro Metal ang tinutugtog ko medyo nakakasawa sa katagalan. Gusto ko din sana matuto ng Jazz Music please help me kung saan ba ko dapat mag umpisa..

Guitar Scales? (yung usual na ginagamit ng mga Jazz player)
Chords?
Artist?
Songs?

na pwede niyong isuggest saakin.

Salamat mga in advance mga bro  :mrgreen:

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Please help: I want to learn Jazz Music
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

first thing for me is to make a set of proper listening materials in Jazz. guitar scales, chords and other techniques follow after when you already have an idea of how jazz music sounds and structured. same thing to for other instruments

for a list of jazz guitarists (marami sila kung gusto mo talaga malaman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_guitarists

That will cover the artist part of your question. For songs, the best i think is to get familiarized with the 'jazz standards'. You can find them here. http://www.realbooksite.com/

Nasa site na rin yan yung ilang pyesa na pwede mo aralin to get familiar with standards and how they're basically played. There are so much resources now that is available online for learning. But I think a lot of learning still comes from listening and continuously expanding your knowledge in your own instrument. Hope it helps. :)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
Hi Guys,

Gusto ko lang sanang huming ng payo sa mga Jazz guitar player dito sa PM. Kadalasan kasi puro Metal ang tinutugtog ko medyo nakakasawa sa katagalan. Gusto ko din sana matuto ng Jazz Music please help me kung saan ba ko dapat mag umpisa..

Guitar Scales? (yung usual na ginagamit ng mga Jazz player)
Chords?
Artist?
Songs?

na pwede niyong isuggest saakin.

Salamat mga in advance mga bro  :mrgreen:
First important thing to do is to listen to Jazz music, asi dapat absorb mo muna, you cannot force yourself, IMO, dapat natural yung pag hilig mo sa Jazz, mas mabilis pag ganun. Yung mga ibang bagay, tools mo nalang yan i.e. chords, songd to learn, scales etc., it's like eating tuna sashimi for the first time, you have to develop an acquired taste. my 5 cents :)

Offline kurtomen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:54:38 AM »
Salamat po sa mga payo.. medyo mahirap lang at di pa ko marunong bumasa ng nota tulad dun sa binigay na site ni Sir Jamming_Papu..

Siguro maguumpisa muna ko sa pakikinig ng Jazz music.. May masusuggest po ba kayo yung medyo basic lang naman ang tunog at di gaanong mahirap ang progression ng song.

Salamat po!

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 05:56:07 AM »
i'm actually a dude who's into jazz piano so wala akong masabi particularly kung sino ang pinaka ok na pakinggan kapag nagsisimula pa lang ang isang guitarista sa jazz. narrowing it down check mo yung top 10 sa list na 'to.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazzguitar.html

listen to their full albums na available sa youtube. when listening, just plainly listen. no need na madaliin kung paano malaman na tumugtog/tumunog na ganun. jazz is a verb. hindi sya noun or name ng uri ng pagtugtog. kapag nakuha mo na yung idea ng tunog ng jazz guitar then after nun pwede na pagtuunan yung ibang bagay. sa music theory, is uses the same thing with other music genre. with jazz, makikita mo yung extensive application ng music theory. if you're really serious, find a proper instructor na pwede magturo sa'yo. other options is self exploration with the guide of online resources. sa tingin ko ang dami ko na nasabi. bottom line, I hope all of my words above helps.  :)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline progmetalhead

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
For you to really understand jazz, I suggest na mag aral ka muna ng konting music theory. It's quite simple. Start with the major scale, then its 7 modes and their specific tonal characteristics. Then go to chord theory; how chords are constructed e.g. how to construct major/minor chords, seventh, ninth chords, minor7b5 etc. (madali na lang to, pag naintindihan mo yung major scale foundations)

Pag naintindihan mo na, hindi ka na mahihirapang pag aralan yung mga jazz lessons, regardless of your instrument, kasi alam mo na yung mga nangyayari, musically. Hindi mo rin kailangang matutong mag basa ng musical transcriptions para maka intindi ng music theory foundations, pero malaking advantage pag marunong ka. Hope this helps =D. :-D

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
^ Also agree with that. If you can start with the basic music theory, it's a good way. Sakto din yung sunod sunod na ganyang arrangement sa pag-aaral.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:08:20 PM by jamming_papu »
- Miles Davis

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
tama sila progmetalhead at jamming_papu, additional plus din ang pag-kinig ng jazz music, para ma gets din yung feel.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:31:37 AM »

one last but also very important thing, if you can be there where there is 'real' live jazz music, punta ka.

iba yung pakinig at yung nandun ka sa harap ng mga lehitimong jazzistang guitarista. you'll know what I mean kapag nasubukan mo na. :mrgreen:
- Miles Davis

Offline arcanum_2g

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
I find that studying jazz nowadays can be incredibly easy and incredibly hard... Probably both for the very same reason - there's a lot of information out there on the internet. The difficulty with this is knowing exactly where to start.

It may sound boring, but the manner by which I began to study jazz (and share it with others) was to first gain a firm grip of arguably the most basic concept - INTERVALS. That being said, know your intervals... Locate a root note anywhere on the fretboard and have a fair visual map of where each interval is in relation to that root note. It may seem uninteresting, but trust that this knowledge will pay off, most specially if you're seeking to "break out of boxes" when you eventually improvise over changes.
Guitars:Ibanez '86 RG320, Yamaha '78 SA1000
Amp: Mesa Boogie Mark V Head, Mesa Boogie 2x12 Rectifier Cab
FX: Wampler Dual Fusion, Ego Compressor, Ecstacy, Hermida Audio Zendrive, Analogman Bi-Chorus, TC Nova Delay, ToadWorks Death Rattle, Dunlop 535Q Wah

Offline harugrugrug

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:35 AM »
Learn the history from Dixieland jazz,ragtime and pre bop stuffs to get it. :cute:
The progress to big bands to be bop,then post bop to fusion.
josephmariosep.wordpress.com,josephmariosep instagram
Pwede naman magreply sa pm,libre naman serbisyo ng philmusic bat ang tamad niyo pa magreply sa mga offer niyo.

Offline d_one

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
one last but also very important thing, if you can be there where there is 'real' live jazz music, punta ka.

iba yung pakinig at yung nandun ka sa harap ng mga lehitimong jazzistang guitarista. you'll know what I mean kapag nasubukan mo na. :mrgreen:

Can't agree more to this. Hanap ka ng places, coffee shops usually, where live jazz bands play.
I'd advertise my favorite Jazz cafe here in the metro, Tago Jazz cafe. Live jazz music every night, and you can jam with other musicians in their weekly open jam during sundays. Pag medyo confident ka na sa jazz playing mo, try jamming with other people. It speeds up your learning pag naabot mo na yung tingin mong initial glass ceiling ng guitar playing mo.

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:58 AM »
I'm a drummer I want to learn or been studying and listening to it for the past 2 decades na on and off.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:34 AM »
sakin naman, lalo na para sa galing sa rock/metal tulad ni OP, maganda magsimula sa mas familiar. No sense to dive into straight up serious stuff kasi di ka makakarelate.

Personally, you could start with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, yung Jeff Coffin era (I suggest you go watch Live at the Quick). It's not straight up jazz, more like bluegrass/fusion, but it's jazz enough to get you hooked, plus the main thing about the band that should work for you is Jeff the sax guy.

Si Jeff kasi pag nagsulat para sa Flecktones parang rock din, solid riffs that are not too complex, tapos yung chord changes si Bela (the banjo guy) ang naghahandle. pag nasakyan mo na yung mga linya ni Jeff, masasanay na rin yung tenga mo sa mga chord changes na nasa medyo malapit na sa jazz. tapos nun pwede ka mag big band or bebop or fusion, tapos pag nakainom ka try mo saksakan ng free jazz  :lol: I listen to this Australian jazz band Logic?, rakista friendly yung tunes nila.

Of course napakaimportante matutunan yung mga chords. If anything, chords na siguro ang diyos ng jazz. yung mga scales and modes na pag-aaralan mo, ay para makasabay sa chord changes ng kanta. Ang sakin lang, para makapasok ka sa mundo ng technical/theoretical aspect ng jazz, dapat matripan mo muna yung music, at para sakin Flecktones ang isa sa mga magandang starting point. Si Jaco din tsaka si Coltrane.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline GL2009

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 10:59:53 PM »
Paki check mo to baka makatulong sa yo...

good luck!

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 08:38:04 AM »
Kung may extra cash Ka to spare, look for aya Yuson..take a private lesson from a master..

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »

Kung may extra cash Ka to spare, look for aya Yuson..take a private lesson from a master..

Have you been to Aya lately?

Reason I ask is because I went ahead and got jazz lessons from him. Really, really big help if you already know your basics; he can take you to the next level. However, Aya suffered a stroke before my lessons, so he had some trouble fretting out a guitar (I took my lessons with him without him holding a guitar).

It got to a point that I felt that the advanced lessons needed for him to fret the guitar to show me, and honestly I wanted for us to jam na to get the feel and improv thing to happen.

No dice.

The sessions evolved into him pointing out a note on my fretboard and me pressing the note. After that quick demo he will sing what he wanted me to play and I’d have to immediately capture that. Fun and challenging at the same time. Man, did he know every note of the fretboard though and each chord possible.

But that was around three years ago, I wonder if he's done with therapy and can jam na?

Having said that, lessons with Aya pay for itself. But, I suggest you do some self study first so you don’t get lost in the woods if you take lessons. Things like scales, inversions and major, minor triads shouldn’t be alien to you.

Every one hour session I've had with him resulted in exercises I still do right to this day.
His excercise on spelling out the triad for each note of a scale got me very far in improv situations.

Sadly, work intervened and months stretched into years and I haven’t been back to him.

Some Lessons Learned:

1.) We started the session with him asking me to play anything. Since I loved the blues and can play a decent twelve bar I played that and he liked the fact that I had a solid grounding in the blues which would make improv and jazz song structure easier to teach.

From there we went into a study of a typical Jazz Blues like Billie’s bounce and how the blues evolved into Jazz.

2.) Common Jazz song structures derived from standards. Yup there’s a pattern for chords that seem to be embedded in the standards (invaluable lessons right there)

3.) Making sense of the scale modes in improv. What does a Dorian. Ionian and Lydian scale feel like when superimposed in some chordal situations. (made my nose bleed)

4.) Exploring the permutations and weirdness of 7th chords (made my brain bleed)

Overall good stuff. But! I still don’t play jazz as good as I want to. Even if I studied and forced myself to dedicate a year to listening, I’m just not getting there due to non practice and non jamming, and honestly, I love the blues better. While I do know how to improvise and know jazz in theory, having the gift to play it is an entirely different manner. I can memorise and play a jazz tune but playing one on the fly and improvising like a damn madman on the spot will be a fever dream for me.

Sadly, the soul of improvising o jazz (which is one of its cornerstones) isn’t just a matter of doodling together notes. You can get away with it, even fake it. But it has to start with living and breathing jazz — as for me, I’m now content to be a fan.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:35:06 AM by Stratzkiboy »

Offline blackwingchai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
Have you been to Aya lately?

Reason I ask is because I went ahead and got jazz lessons from him. Really, really big help if you already know your basics; he can take you to the next level. However, Aya suffered a stroke before my lessons, so he had some trouble fretting out a guitar (I took my lessons with him without him holding a guitar).

It got to a point that I felt that the advanced lessons needed for him to fret the guitar to show me, and honestly I wanted for us to jam na to get the feel and improv thing to happen.

No dice.

The sessions evolved into him pointing out a note on my fretboard and me pressing the note. After that quick demo he will sing what he wanted me to play and I’d have to immediately capture that. Fun and challenging at the same time. Man, did he know every note of the fretboard though and each chord possible.

But that was around three years ago, I wonder if he's done with therapy and can jam na?

Having said that, lessons with Aya pay for itself. But, I suggest you do some self study first so you don’t get lost in the woods if you take lessons. Things like scales, inversions and major, minor triads shouldn’t be alien to you.

Every one hour session I've had with him resulted in exercises I still do right to this day.
His excercise on spelling out the triad for each note of a scale got me very far in improv situations.

Sadly, work intervened and months stretched into years and I haven’t been back to him.

Some Lessons Learned:

1.) We started the session with him asking me to play anything. Since I loved the blues and can play a decent twelve bar I played that and he liked the fact that I had a solid grounding in the blues which would make improv and jazz song structure easier to teach.

From there we went into a study of a typical Jazz Blues like Billie’s bounce and how the blues evolved into Jazz.

2.) Common Jazz song structures derived from standards. Yup there’s a pattern for chords that seem to be embedded in the standards (invaluable lessons right there)

3.) Making sense of the scale modes in improv. What does a Dorian. Ionian and Lydian scale feel like when superimposed in some chordal situations. (made my nose bleed)

4.) Exploring the permutations and weirdness of 7th chords (made my brain bleed)

Overall good stuff. But! I still don’t play jazz as good as I want to. Even if I studied and forced myself to dedicate a year to listening, I’m just not getting there due to non practice and non jamming, and honestly, I love the blues better. While I do know how to improvise and know jazz in theory, having the gift to play it is an entirely different manner. I can memorise and play a jazz tune but playing one on the fly and improvising like a damn madman on the spot will be a fever dream for me.

Sadly, the soul of improvising o jazz (which is one of its cornerstones) isn’t just a matter of doodling together notes. You can get away with it, even fake it. But it has to start with living and breathing jazz — as for me, I’m now content to be a fan.
well said...
MAKE ME SICK I MAKE MUSIC

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »
I used to play the bass with aya Yuson.learned a lot from him too,more than the four years stay in college of music..great teacher