hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 63364 times)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »
i havent been a long time listener but ever since, ive been hooked.

anyone who has MP3s? pwede pa copya? bayaran ko nlng ung CD.  :-D

15 tracks lang meron ako. cgruo compilation lang to.

pwede pacopya ng mga CDs? cnong kumpleto?

deacon blues, meron ka?  :-D
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 01:08:32 AM »
i havent been a long time listener but ever since, ive been hooked.

anyone who has MP3s? pwede pa copya? bayaran ko nlng ung CD.  :-D

15 tracks lang meron ako. cgruo compilation lang to.

pwede pacopya ng mga CDs? cnong kumpleto?

deacon blues, meron ka?  :-D

discography meron ako  :-D

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:34 AM »
maganda din yung Tribute to Steely Dan
http://www.guitar9.com/atributerd.html

paborito ko Bodhisattva ni Steve Morse :-D

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
Dami pa nabibili mga original CDs. There are even re-releases I saw in Fully Booked.

Meron din at least 4 different compilation albums.

My faves (popular) include Kid Charlemagne, Josie, Peg and Aja. My non-popular fave are Caves of Altamira and Black Cow.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 04:20:15 PM »
parang greatest hits nila eh iyong live album nila....lahat ng hits...

ALIVE IN AMERICA!!

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 08:20:25 PM »
thanks to limewire!

OMG... BAD SNEAKERS! sarap pakingan
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
If you listen to Bad Sneakers in the morning, surely it will certainly last
in your mind the whole day (last song syndrome).
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
If you listen to Bad Sneakers in the morning, surely it will certainly last
in your mind the whole day (last song syndrome).

i did and it did. kinapa ko kanina and kinakanta ko na now :)

but my favorite: dR. WU. pucha, tungkol pala to sa cocaine. ang lalim!

2. peg
3. reelin' in the years
4. any M dude will tell you
5. babylon sisters
6. dont take me alive
7. FM (puccha)
8. Kid Charlemagne

lahat pero eto ang tops ko.

sobrang galing gumawa ng kanta ng mga unggoy na to. i wish i was somewhere closer at making songs like these genuises.

ps. i thought boddhisattva was TOTO. kaka alam ko lng, Steely pala.

ano bang ibig sabihin nyan?

pss. pwede ba tayong mag STeely DAN tone party, jamming eklavu? (pardon the language)

sabi ni tinie, meron daw dati. asan na? :)

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:33:54 AM »
If you have the chance, watch the "Aja" Steely Dan DVD where they discussed the making of the Aja album.  Those guys were perfectionists in many ways.  From every vocal nuance to very slight variations in the playing of a certain rift to wholesale changes to the entire session gang for a particular song, these guys wouldn't settle for second best.  Kung sa Pilipinas pa ito, nabangkarote na yung producer ng mga ito.  SD lyrics were always top-notch - makukorto utak mo just to make out the messages, hidden or otherwise, in every SD song.  I still have to come across a SD song I didn't like, though my favorite is Pretzel Logic.

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
well if somebody steps up into the plate to play drums and also sing those classic steely dan songs, I and Bod are okay for keyboards. it just has to be organized(as in "cinifra" or we can play the song from start to finish) so that it doesn't turn into a jam session.

...gotta be serious 'bout those Steely Dan songs....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 12:38:48 PM »

AMEN to that. I'd like to volunteer bass guitar on a couple of tunes.. Bodhisattva and Bodhisattva Live.  8-)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »
well if somebody steps up into the plate to play drums and also sing those classic steely dan songs, I and Bod are okay for keyboards. it just has to be organized(as in "cinifra" or we can play the song from start to finish) so that it doesn't turn into a jam session.

pretzel logic is the best blues jam. i was dreaming SRV wouldve collaborated even just for that song (wet dream).

kulang na lang drums. ako na vocals and little bit of guitars (di to stir)

then maybe we can do stuff, like origs na lagyan ng "feel" na steely. i got songs or maybe you guys have too :)

its about time we do other stuff than the usual :)

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »
ok somebody make a list of 5 possible steely dan songs that we can work on. yung magaan muna ha.... we might as well do this right...

kahit bass, guitars keyboards and vocals para lang tumakbo... lets just see if anything happens....

deac? are you there?  helllo?   tama na yung showbiz scribe  : )
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 01:39:42 AM »
ok somebody make a list of 5 possible steely dan songs that we can work on. yung magaan muna ha.... we might as well do this right...

kahit bass, guitars keyboards and vocals para lang tumakbo... lets just see if anything happens....

deac? are you there?  helllo?   tama na yung showbiz scribe  : )

BAD SNEAKERS (and a pinacolada my friend... LSS)
FM
Kid Charlemagne (sinong baback up, daming boses nito hehehe)

ay magaan pala...

DIRTY WORK
REELIN' IN THE YEARS
ANY M DUDE WILL TELL.

magaan na pero mabigat parin. :)

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:21:49 PM »

itchybrain

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
Oi! Sama ko dito! ba't ngayon ko lang nakita itong thread na ito?! :-D

My favorite lines in all of music:

I'll learn to work the saxophone
I play just what I feel
Drink scotch whiskey all night long
And  die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world

I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the crimson tide
Call me Deacon Blues  (Deacon Blues)

GEEKS RULE! :-D Fyi, I'm a geek. hehehe.

------------

I just bought the last copy of "Steely Dan Guitar Anthology Series" at National Bookstore. World Class. If you want to copy this, PM or text nyo ko, boys. 0917-8018907. :-D

Kahit rhythm ako, sama. :-D

Music peg ko:

Rikki Don't Lose that Number
Pretzel Logic

:-D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:06:08 PM by itchybrain »

itchybrain

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »

ps. i thought boddhisattva was TOTO. kaka alam ko lng, Steely pala.

ano bang ibig sabihin nyan?

pss. pwede ba tayong mag STeely DAN tone party, jamming eklavu? (pardon the language)

Meaning ng Steely Dan ba or Boddhisattva?

Here goes. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

If my memory serves me right, Boddhisattva is a Hindu being who, after reaching NIRVANA (enlightened state or "heaven" to us Christians) comes back to earth as a "Boddhitsattva."

Steely Dan, on the other hand, came from a book (which I forgot). In that book, a character endearingly calls her dildo as her "Steely Dan."

There you go. :-D

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »
deacon blues is on my list :) bakit geek? geeks lang ba nakaka appreciate ng steely dan? im no geek but im close to tears when i hear "DR WU".  :cry:

anyways, pakopya bro!!! pwede? :) 09267166278

i was asking about bodhitsattva. thanks for the info :)

about the name, heres more info:

i quote: "Taking the name 'Steely Dan' from the steam-powered dildo in William Burroughs' novel The Naked Lunch..." (italics mine)

more readings :)

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Steely-Dan-Biography/88FE4554733F35E14825690C002D99EC

Offline Raphailo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
jazz rock hehe wow this one is my fav..
'Keep on Groovin'

itchybrain

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 02:46:11 AM »
deacon blues is on my list :) bakit geek? geeks lang ba nakaka appreciate ng steely dan? im no geek but im close to tears when i hear "DR WU".  :cry:

anyways, pakopya bro!!! pwede? :) 09267166278

i was asking about bodhitsattva. thanks for the info :)

about the name, heres more info:

i quote: "Taking the name 'Steely Dan' from the steam-powered dildo in William Burroughs' novel The Naked Lunch..." (italics mine)

more readings :)

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Steely-Dan-Biography/88FE4554733F35E14825690C002D99EC

Well, semantics issue ang pagiging "geek."  :-D hehehe. Geeks lang talaga ang tingin ko kela Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. They've been sessionists for the longest time and they hated the limelight but, in my book, they're geniuses! :-)

Oks sa copy! Just text me para ma-sked natin pag free time natin, bro.  :-D

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 03:06:18 AM »
maganda din yung Tribute to Steely Dan
http://www.guitar9.com/atributerd.html

paborito ko Bodhisattva ni Steve Morse :-D

Panoorin mo yung TOTO Live in Amsterdam na DVD(meron pa sa mga pirated).
Ang tindi ng BODHISATTVA ni Steve Lukather, plakado pre, at dinagdagan pa. Ok yung 2nd guitarist na kinuha nya(2 guitar harmony ang Bodhisattva with Jeff Baxter & Denny Dias on guitars sa orig Bodhisattva ng Steely Dan).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:32:14 AM by guitarpie »
(",)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
Well, semantics issue ang pagiging "geek."  :-D hehehe. Geeks lang talaga ang tingin ko kela Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. They've been sessionists for the longest time and they hated the limelight but, in my book, they're geniuses! :-)

Oks sa copy! Just text me para ma-sked natin pag free time natin, bro.  :-D

taga san ka ba bro? para makuha ko CD?

i agree, these guys are GEEKS! ung mga topic ng kanta, ibang klase. what amazes me is how they made it sound so darn COOL and overly , ecstatically swell to listen to!(wetdream again... nagigiging bedtime songs ko na to)

pero pansin ko, ung mga kanta nila during the time they had DAvid Palmer as lead vocals, mabababaw at closely POP (e.g. do it again). eto ung time na the record company wanted them to really SELL sa masa (as i read, which explains the david palmer and the songs, coz fager apparently isnt a treat to watch). but i dont dig them songs as much as i do when Fager sings them. i saw this video once on youtube, they did 'do it again' with palmer. you could see (o baka ako lang yun), di mo maipinta ung mukha ni Fagen, like he was discontent, close to disgust, that they were selling out, bringing in a more 'sellable' singer just to be able to sell more records.

He (donald) reminds me of Ray Charles (notice the similarity in the pout and the way they sing) but more refined, not as rough bluesy as the shades (not to say Ray Charles and his blues is lesser, ibang category lang). I dig ray charles too, tho not as much as SD. Mas may SOUL nga lang si RAy Charles, being black (natural na to!) plus being blind (see no evil... doesnt mean he's less evil. TRivia, pareho silang na addict sa heroin  :wink:) Pero sa material, Ray is a footnote in SD's epic ass hehehe (pardon my exaggeration)

i now love Becker-Fagen than Lennon-McCartney (sorry beatlefans). The Fab four was easier to the ear* but the substance of the SD duo's materials makes john and paul's songs seem like broth made from salt and water. Try to compare: 'She Loves You' to 'Rikki Dont Lose That Number'. parang kinder ung beatles tapos nag-mmasteral na ung Steely Dan, in both lyrics and musicality.

(*common chords...easy to follow... Steely dan's? try to jam without being familiar with the songs, you wouldnt last a phrase, e.g. FM)

pero i still LOVE the beatles. i grew up with them.

but that doesnt go without saying I wish I grew up with Steely Dan instead.  :-D :wink:

ps. new favorite: Time Out of Mind. swabe, para tlgang 80s slow groove song. sna buhay na ako dati :)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »
pss. i failed to mention, Steely Dan's music is like extraterrestial music. They dont sound like what you usually hear, as if aliens made songs with all the info they gathered about the human race. (pardon again for my exag, its exactly how i feel. parang 1st crush/love hahahah)

itchybrain

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »
taga san ka ba bro? para makuha ko CD?

(*common chords...easy to follow... Steely dan's? try to jam without being familiar with the songs, you wouldnt last a phrase, e.g. FM)

pero i still LOVE the beatles. i grew up with them.

Taga cubao ako, bro. Sa p. tuazon. Text before you come here. Tsaka BOOK yun 'di CD,'tol. :-)

i agree, these guys are GEEKS! ung mga topic ng kanta, ibang klase. what amazes me is how they made it sound so darn COOL and overly , ecstatically swell to listen to!(wetdream again... nagigiging bedtime songs ko na to)

... parang kinder ung beatles tapos nag-mmasteral na ung Steely Dan, in both lyrics and musicality.

Sobrang galing ng mga lyrics. Parang PhD na nga sila compared to the Beatles (hep, Beatles Fan rin ako).

I can empathize kasi i grew up an outcast. Geek to the bone-- "any major dude will tell you," my friend. :-D

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:49 AM »
pss. i failed to mention, Steely Dan's music is like extraterrestial music. They dont sound like what you usually hear, as if aliens made songs with all the info they gathered about the human race. (pardon again for my exag, its exactly how i feel. parang 1st crush/love hahahah)

Pre, di ka nag-iisa sa iniisip mo na 'yan... Inside the cover/jacket of Steely Dan's 'Alive In America' album which was recorded live during their US 1993 & 1994 reunion tour, you will find "Steely Dan Alive In America Contest Results." On the category question "What are Donald and Walter really like?" The 1st Place winner, Warren Bernhardt, a pianist from Woodstock, NY, entered this winning answer: "They're like really weird, man. I think they were probably abducted by aliens years ago - yeah, that would explain it."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:58:29 AM by guitarpie »
(",)