hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 63366 times)

Offline plasticsoul

Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
Try to score a copy of the Making of Aja DVD where the recording process is meticulously discussed and shown. Then you'll say "Wow".

Sana makakita ako.

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
Try to score a copy of the Making of Aja DVD where the recording process is meticulously discussed and shown. Then you'll say "Wow".

Just saw this yesterday, galing nga ng making, npaka meticulous, pero swak na swak tlga ang album na aja

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »
Last month when I was killing time by going through the racks of the main HMV store here in Toronto, I was able to score a copy of their "latest" DVD after watching it on one of the many overhead flatscreens on the store walls.  It documents their recent tour which I was fortunate enough to have seen while I was visiting NYC last year.  I have the word "latest" in quotes because I don't think it is legit since wala siya sa DVD list ng SD website (just like "The Making of AJA" DVD; The title of this DVD is "Perfection in Performance", which doesn't sound like the usual SD irreverent titles.  Weird).  As usual the Katzenjammer  Kids were supported by one fine group of musicians:  Jon Harrington on lead/musical director, Freddie Washington on bass etc.  But what caught my eye was this young drummer (forgot his name) who nailed that Steve Gadd solo on Aja.  One of their "chu-chu-wahhhs", Carolyn Leonheart, is one hell of a vocalist (and a hottie as well).  Thank God I've got one of her CDs (Jazz staples and standards).  Michael MacDonald was a guest vocalist/keyboard player on that leg (I don't think he was there on the NYC leg) and his vocals fit hand-in-glove with SD's rock-jazz grooves.

If you have the chance to get a copy of this DVD, go get it.  Hindi kayo magsisisi, though I wish they had included other well know SD cuts (like Pretzel Logic).  Labo ni Harrington - I think he left this out of the tour set.

SD was also here early this year for two nights at Massey Hall.  What they did was interesting:  They played all the cuts on "Aja" during the first night and all the cuts on another album (as usual di ko maalala which one) on the second night.  Nice gimmick:  if you're a die-had SD fan you'd want to see both shows!  Too bad I was unavailable that weekend.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:37:52 AM by Jaco D »

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
good stuff. it is great that they are still at it. yun nga lang the last live DVD they had, eh si Donald fagen had difficult hitting some of the high notes. yes to Carolyn Leonheart kaya lang medyo distracting yung "hottines niya" i think music grad siya and she also has an album of her own.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »
I tried to get my band to do the song "Do it again" and they never heard the song before SIyang talaga!!!
kalspa

Offline globalwarmthings

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2010, 10:05:40 PM »
Last month when I was killing time by going through the racks of the main HMV store here in Toronto, I was able to score a copy of their "latest" DVD after watching it on one of the many overhead flatscreens on the store walls.  It documents their recent tour which I was fortunate enough to have seen while I was visiting NYC last year.  I have the word "latest" in quotes because I don't think it is legit since wala siya sa DVD list ng SD website (just like "The Making of AJA" DVD; The title of this DVD is "Perfection in Performance", which doesn't sound like the usual SD irreverent titles.  Weird).  As usual the Katzenjammer  Kids were supported by one fine group of musicians:  Jon Harrington on lead/musical director, Freddie Washington on bass etc.  But what caught my eye was this young drummer (forgot his name) who nailed that Steve Gadd solo on Aja.  One of their "chu-chu-wahhhs", Carolyn Leonheart, is one hell of a vocalist (and a hottie as well).  Thank God I've got one of her CDs (Jazz staples and standards).  Michael MacDonald was a guest vocalist/keyboard player on that leg (I don't think he was there on the NYC leg) and his vocals fit hand-in-glove with SD's rock-jazz grooves.

If you have the chance to get a copy of this DVD, go get it.  Hindi kayo magsisisi, though I wish they had included other well know SD cuts (like Pretzel Logic).  Labo ni Harrington - I think he left this out of the tour set.

SD was also here early this year for two nights at Massey Hall.  What they did was interesting:  They played all the cuts on "Aja" during the first night and all the cuts on another album (as usual di ko maalala which one) on the second night.  Nice gimmick:  if you're a die-had SD fan you'd want to see both shows!  Too bad I was unavailable that weekend.

keith carlock yun drummer  :-D

Offline globalwarmthings

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »

feature=related

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:09 AM »
good stuff. it is great that they are still at it. yun nga lang the last live DVD they had, eh si Donald fagen had difficult hitting some of the high notes. yes to Carolyn Leonheart kaya lang medyo distracting yung "hottines niya" i think music grad siya and she also has an album of her own.

actually ung pag ka hirap ni donald fager to sing the high notes, for me, adds a different dimension to the songs :P

and yes, carolyn leonheart is hot!!! i googled her and got OB with her for a while :P
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline globalwarmthings

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:20 PM »
actually ung pag ka hirap ni donald fager to sing the high notes, for me, adds a different dimension to the songs :P

and yes, carolyn leonheart is hot!!! i googled her and got OB with her for a while :P

asawa nya yun isa member ng steely dan, ano pala ibig sabihin ng OB?  :-D

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »
Blasphemy?

feature=related

hehehehe....

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:26 AM »
I was going through old posts and saw this. Went overseas and a lot has happened since hindi na natuloy ang jamming ... ot natuloy wla lang ako.

Sana matupad parin to. Steely Dan songs give that certain nostalgia of yesteryears, when i wasnt even born yet. Surreal.
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25