hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 63367 times)

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 05:16:47 AM »
Pre, di ka nag-iisa sa iniisip mo na 'yan... Inside the cover/jacket of Steely Dan's 'Alive In America' album which was recorded live during their US 1993 & 1994 reunion tour, you will find "Steely Dan Alive In America Contest Results." On the category question "What are Donald and Walter really like?" The 1st Place winner, Warren Bernhardt, a pianist from Woodstock, NY, entered this winning answer: "They're like really weird, man. I think they were probably abducted by aliens years ago - yeah, that would explain it."

holy crap! we saw (heard) the same thing! im not sure if he spent time with the men and then came out with that conclusion (hyphotesis). however, I, just by listening, know these guys are weird. but in a damn cool way :)

alien-like in the fashion they have created their music.

ALIEN!!! (ala brod pete  :-D)

ps. ang dami pala nilang kanta!

CD hunting ako sa SG nito! (nice to have those jackets) in bold ung meron akot narinig ko na. Anyone care to fill me in sa mga wla pa ako? thanks in advance!

A Horse in Town
A Little With Sugar
Aja Lyrics
Almost Gothic
Android Warehouse
Any Major Dude Will Tell You
Any World (That I'm Welcome To)
Babylon Sisters
Bad Sneakers <-- favorite  :wink:
Barrytown
Blackcow
Black Friday
Blues Beach
Bodhisattva
Brain Tap Shuffle
Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me)
Chain Lightning
Change of the Guard
Charlie Freak
Come Back Baby
Countermoon
Cousin Dupree
Daddy Don't Live In That New York City No More
Deacon Blues
Dirty Work
Do It Again
Doctor Wu <-- favorite
Don't Take Me Alive
East St. Louis Toodle-Oo
Everyone's Gone to the Movies
Everything Must Go
Everything You Did
Fire in the Hole
Florida Room
FM
Gaslighting Abbie
Gaucho
Glamour Profession
Godwhacker
Green Book
Green Earrings
Haitian Divorce
Hey Nineteen
Home at Last
I Got the News
I.G.Y. (pucha SD pala to!! kya pala gusto ko. lately ko lang nalaman)
Jack of Speed
Janie Runaway
Josie
Kid Charlemagne
King of the World
Kings
Lunch With Gina
Maxine
Midnight Cruiser
Monkey in Your Soul
More to Come
My Old School
My Rival
Negative Girl
New Frontier
Night by Night
Old Regime
On The Dunes
Only a Fool Would Say That
Parker's Band
Pearl of the Quarter Lyrics
Peg
Pixeleen
Pretzel Logic
Razor Boy
Reelin' in the Years
Rikki Don't Lose That Number
Rose Darling
Ruby Baby
Show Biz Kids
Sign in Stranger
Slang of Ages
Snowbound
Soul Ram
Springtime
Take It Out on Me
Teahouse On The Tracks
The Boston Rag
The Caves of Altamira
The Fez
The Goodbye Look
The Last Mall
The Nightgly
The Roaring of the Lamb
The Royal Scam
Things I Miss the Most
Third World Man
This Seat's Been Taken
Through With Buzz
Throw Back the Little Ones
Time Out of Mind
Tomorrow's Girls
Trans-Island Skyway
Turn That Heartbeat over Again
Two Against Nature
Walk Between The Raindrops
West of Hollywood
What a Shame About Me
With a Gun
Yellow Peril
You Go Where I Go
Your Gold Teeth
Your Gold Teeth II
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

itchybrain

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »

Magandang idea yang CD hunting na yan! :-D TARA! EB na rin yan! :-D

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »
Yung Things I Missed The Most meron ako dito. Last track sya nitong Steely Dan Collection album CD, gift ng friend ko ito from US.. yung mga SD ko dito mga common din katulad ng nasa bold letters mo. I remember meron ako vinyl record(33 rpm) double album ng Best Of Steely Dan na nabili ko during my high school days..he-he.. Che-check ko kung meron dun ng iba nasa list mo. Actually mas marami ka pa yata alam na rare songs nila.
After all these years di ko na naexplore ang mga songs ng Steely Dan, yun lang mga common ang palagi nadidinig ko. Natatandaan ko pa nung martial law days, late 70s, i saw them in [sausage] Clark's "In Concert" na regular na pinapalabas noon sa RPN channel 9. Kinanta nila ng live ang Do It Again & Reelin' In The Years w/ Jeff "d Skunk" Baxter on guitar. That's the first time i saw & heard them.. from then i also got hooked on SD.

Yung Steely Dan Alive In America maganda pagka-live ng mga songs. They put on new/different arrangements on some of their old songs.
Yung Reelin In The Years iniba nila areglo ng mga kabitan & brasses, lumalim sya.. Yun naman Babylon Sisters ang ganda pala sa live..

Ok din yung DVD na reunion 'ulit' nila nung year 2000(meron sa pirated). Ang ganda nung Pretzel Logic duon. May mga female backup vocs. Sarap pa ng guitar solo ni Walter Becker na clean sound using a Fender Telecaster
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:01:56 AM by guitarpie »
(",)

Offline skydog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 04:07:49 PM »
If you listen to Bad Sneakers in the morning, surely it will certainly last
in your mind the whole day (last song syndrome).

grabe, ganitong-ganito nangyari sa akin kahapon.  :mrgreen: natanggal lang when I listened to FM and Kid Charlemagne. Ganda ng tone ni Larry Carlton sa Kid Charlemagne. I love that solo!
"Just rock on, and have you a good time."- Duane Allman

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Pre, di ka nag-iisa sa iniisip mo na 'yan... Inside the cover/jacket of Steely Dan's 'Alive In America' album which was recorded live during their US 1993 & 1994 reunion tour, you will find "Steely Dan Alive In America Contest Results." On the category question "What are Donald and Walter really like?" The 1st Place winner, Warren Bernhardt, a pianist from Woodstock, NY, entered this winning answer: "They're like really weird, man. I think they were probably abducted by aliens years ago - yeah, that would explain it."

That was an inside Dan joke - Warren Bernhardt actually played keys on that tour!

Anyway for the guy looking for the complete Steely Dan works, look for the boxed set "Citizen Dan" which has everything they recorded before their hiatus. It's only about 4 CDs I think.

Then look for the Steely Dan live DVD at your suking dibidi tindahan - this represents the contemporary live Dan as opposed to their studio days. Steely Dan Live is a relatively recent phenomenon (dating back from the Alive in America days) and is a very tight ensemble. Sound on this DVD is great if you have a nice Home Theater System.

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »
Ay oo nga! di ko napansin na sya pala keyboardist

Yes ok yan DVD Steely Dan Live, maganda sound.. Two Against Nature yata ang title nuon, year 2000
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:10:09 AM by guitarpie »
(",)

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:06 AM »
grabe, ganitong-ganito nangyari sa akin kahapon.  :mrgreen: natanggal lang when I listened to FM and Kid Charlemagne. Ganda ng tone ni Larry Carlton sa Kid Charlemagne. I love that solo!

Yes, classic na yan solo ni Carlton sa Kid Charlemagne. May live concert nuon si Larry Carlton sa laser disc pa. Tinugtog nya mga guitar solos nya sa Steely Dan, in medley. Ang galing! plakado nya mga solos nya.

Yun palang Peg ay si Jay Graydon ang nag-guitar solo. Akala ko noon si Carlton din yun.
(",)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 04:18:49 PM »
In the Two Against Nature video, they themselves were narrating how they treated various guitar sessionists to do the infamous Peg guitar solo. They wanted a certain sound that  each sessionist took almost a day to do.  They had four or five tries without success. It came to a point where a sessionist being asked to do it would quip, "Oh no, I'm being asked to do a guitar part for Steely San!",with a heavy sigh.

But you must admit the sound they were looking for, finally nailed by Jay Graydon, WAS different.  Gives you an idea of the personalities of those two as asked by this thread initially.

Akala ko rin Carlton yun.

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »
One of the vocalists in the 2vsNature video is a hottie - Carolyn Leonhart.  Hayop sa boses, specially when she and the two other back-up singers do blues.  However in her two solo CDs, she sings traditional big-band tunes done with a trio as backup.  Suabeng-suabe:  Ma-e-"L" ka talaga.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 10:39:52 AM »
ok somebody make a list of 5 possible steely dan songs that we can work on. yung magaan muna ha.... we might as well do this right...

kahit bass, guitars keyboards and vocals para lang tumakbo... lets just see if anything happens....

deac? are you there?  helllo?   tama na yung showbiz scribe  : )

I'll rent Gig Studios in Cubao for 3 hours sometime this April, maybe Saturday am - just decide on the date. I'll have my band there and then all who are interested to play SD songs can come. I'll also invite Deacon Blues and Psychic Sushi.

Our band (non-pro) can already play Josie.
We can jam Peg, Reeling in the Years, Rikki Don't Lose that Number, Pretzel Logic.

Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

itchybrain

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:09 PM »

Wow. Nonood na lang ako sa inyo! :-D

I'll also invite Deacon Blues and Psychic Sushi.

We can jam Peg, Reeling in the Years, Rikki Don't Lose that Number, Pretzel Logic.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »
i really like the bassline of the song "Rikki Don't Loose That Number"...very catchy...  :-D
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 03:05:47 AM »
I'll rent Gig Studios in Cubao for 3 hours sometime this April, maybe Saturday am - just decide on the date. I'll have my band there and then all who are interested to play SD songs can come. I'll also invite Deacon Blues and Psychic Sushi.

I would love to sit in on this and listen.

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 03:26:44 AM »
I would love to sit in on this and listen.

Me too!

Steely Dan fan here as well  :lol:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »
....beer and chips extra?

@bod

...now seriously.... which comes first - those who will commit or you set the date and time and then we commit? mas maganda talaga kung meron kakanta eh...
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline konkreteink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
pwede po ba sumingit? gusto ko po makijam sana para maiba naman. isa rin si steely dan sa mga influences ko kahit oldskul metal/variety ang genre ko. eto po mga pwede ko kantahin;
razor boy
black friday
bad sneakers
doctor wu
rose darling
throw back the little ones(my favorite)
black cow
deacon blues
kaso po, nasa studio ako ni dok randy naka base dahil may tattoo studio po ako dun (pinoy penguin studio). pano po kaya yun?
Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio is located at #167 A.Bonifacio avenue, Taņong, Marikina City. for inquiries call or text us @ 0917-587-4873 or visit our Facebook page ( Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio ). a good tattoo is not cheap, a cheap tattoo is not good...

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »
....beer and chips extra?

@bod

...now seriously.... which comes first - those who will commit or you set the date and time and then we commit? mas maganda talaga kung meron kakanta eh...

I want to know what date and time many would prefer, although we can do it the other way around. Is Saturday after dinner better than Saturday before lunch?
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
for me it would be any weekday and sunday. saturday would be in the morning or up to 3pm only.

konkreteink, you would be welcome. half of the songs you mentioned hinde ko alam, he he.  okay na ako sa "Deacon blues" as one of the songs... 

come on guys your inputs....

for those who will post their availability and the songs you know. please also post the intro or at least the first few chords of the song so that madali mag cifra and we avoid any "key" issues. let's just try to narrow it down to 5 steely dan songs by mutual agreement...

hinde po ako "organizer" dito ha.... panggulo lang ako.

1.grasyaps - he he you started this
2. 3650guy - "deacon blues" sana  2nd keyboare
3. boddhisattva - "Josie", "Peg" "reelin in the years" daw... keyboards
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline konkreteink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2008, 02:35:12 AM »
sir kahit throw back at yung deacon blues lang kol ako kaso may horn section yta yung throw back the little ones e diba? isama narin bad sneakers!!!
excited na ko!!!!!!
Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio is located at #167 A.Bonifacio avenue, Taņong, Marikina City. for inquiries call or text us @ 0917-587-4873 or visit our Facebook page ( Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio ). a good tattoo is not cheap, a cheap tattoo is not good...

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2008, 04:20:26 AM »
Alang-alang sa mga di makapunta tulad ko (wala sa 'Pinas), paki YouTube ha?

:evil:

Actually, this looks like a good PhilMusic activity to do once in a while.

itchybrain

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
for me it would be any weekday and sunday. saturday would be in the morning or up to 3pm only.

konkreteink, you would be welcome. half of the songs you mentioned hinde ko alam, he he.  okay na ako sa "Deacon blues" as one of the songs... 

come on guys your inputs....

for those who will post their availability and the songs you know. please also post the intro or at least the first few chords of the song so that madali mag cifra and we avoid any "key" issues. let's just try to narrow it down to 5 steely dan songs by mutual agreement...

hinde po ako "organizer" dito ha.... panggulo lang ako.

1.grasyaps - he he you started this
2. 3650guy - "deacon blues" sana  2nd keyboare
3. boddhisattva - "Josie", "Peg" "reelin in the years" daw... keyboards

Hmmm.. Pwede ba mag-request? Since isa na lang ako dakilang audience, "Do it again" tsaka "Any Major Dude." :-D

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
TBC ang attendance ko. im out of the country sa ngayon. baka mid april pa balik ko.
why dont we set a list of songs para pag natuloy to, na sifra na? whacha think?

suggest na kayo. tapos iapprove natin.

1. dont take me alive

also, who will do the following?

1. vocals
2. keys
3. drums
4. bass
5. horns (asa pa? :p) or keys #2.

i can do vox. i dunno kung papasa sa inyo. im not the PLAKA type. i sing it as i feel it. in short i dont sound the FAGEN but i can sing them songs. and a little guitar. nakaka sira ng ulo ung nga solo eh so ayaw ko na iattempt. :)
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline konkreteink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
kahit po pakantahin nyo ako ok lang basta kasama yung "throw back the little ones" and "bad sneakers". yung ibang songs pwede naman po siprahin eh. hehe basta wag nlang po yung mga biritan, di ko napo kasi abot yun eh, masyado na po gasgas ang boses ko sa metal. count me in mga ser kung ok lang po sa inyong lahat...

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Sarap tugtugin nyan mga Steely Dan songs.. kaya lang keyboards talaga magdadala para tumunog ng ganuon.. hindi biro mga chords ng Steely Dan
(",)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »
Pwede bang makinood?  We used to play some Steely Dan songs with Overdrive. - Reeling, Rikki, Peg, Hey Nineteen.  We practiced FM but we never got to play it kasi we took this loooong break.