hulika

Author Topic: Your recommendations for powered mixer  (Read 3282 times)

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Your recommendations for powered mixer
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:41:11 PM »
I have a 15 to 20K budget for powered mix.  I need to have 8 channels man lang.  What can you suggest as a good option for me?  Many thanks.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your recommendations for powered mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:13:16 AM »
check mo samson kung me available sa budget mo
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:29:30 AM »
Do you have a personal experience with Samson?  One guy told me that the headroom is not that much kaya na discourage ako mag try ng Samson.  I had a Peavey MP600 and I had a great time with it but I just let it go recently.  For a replacement, I am looking for a stereo system at least sana.  (The MP600 being mono).  Yung Peavey XR series kasi nasa 30K plus na and over the budget ko na but I would love yung mga yun sana.

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:34 AM »
Seems the only thing to fit the budget is the Behringer PMP1000.  But reading a lot of negative things about Behry performance here, parang natakot ako bigla.   :?

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
Seems the only thing to fit the budget is the Behringer PMP1000.  But reading a lot of negative things about Behry performance here, parang natakot ako bigla.   :?

If you're thinking of Behri's with that budget then kulang yan -- dapat include mo sa budget cost of repair. hehehe!

Once you have that budget bro, contact me. I know just where to find the "it" for you (you know what I mean na).  :wink: :roll: :mrgreen:

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »
If you're thinking of Behri's with that budget then kulang yan -- dapat include mo sa budget cost of repair. hehehe!

hahahaha  :-D :-D :-D.  Sobrang insulto sa Behringer to.  haha.

Offline bongiX

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:57:44 PM »

para totoo naman ito. meron ako mga kilalang may behringer..maganda performance pero hindi naman nagtagal. :-(

Offline gobingo

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:25:44 AM »
May Behringer PMP1000 ako ok naman. depende sa gamit im using it sa Karaoke 12hrs daily straight for 6 mons now wla naman probs. the lower models like PMH and PMX series may problem cguro but maybe for this model PMP1000 upgraded na.. :-D :-D :-D

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
Hmmmn.  Seems I still have hope for my budget!   :-D

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
I finally got the PMP3000 from Behringer.  The sound is very good for the price I have to pay.  I am a happy user  :-D

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »
I finally got the PMP3000 from Behringer.  The sound is very good for the price I have to pay.  I am a happy user  :-D

Good for you raymie_v! :)

Just a reminder, the actual power output of PMP3000 is 215w RMS at 8ohms. So the safest speaker load per channel should be max 100w RMS Continuous power. Anything higher than 100w can underpower your amp.

Cheers bro! Pa-burger ka naman! :roll: :roll:

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:46 PM »
Hi Skyjammer,

I have 2, 300W boston engineering speakers driven.  The amp is ok.  You just don't push it to the limits of distortion and clipping (as with any amp).  The PMP3000 has PFL to help the user assess the incoming signal for overloads (more than 1V P-P).  It also has a clip signal LED that the user can watch out for.  Further, it has a feedback locating system EQ to help the user iron out the offending feedback frequency.  But of course, it is still a good set of ears that will ensure a good, clean sound.  And coming from a Peavey MP600UG (200W RMS into 4ohms), I can say that I have more than enough output power for my needs.  hehe.  Burger tayo!   :-D

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
Hi Skyjammer,

I have 2, 300W boston engineering speakers driven.  The amp is ok.  You just don't push it to the limits of distortion and clipping (as with any amp).  The PMP3000 has PFL to help the user assess the incoming signal for overloads (more than 1V P-P).  It also has a clip signal LED that the user can watch out for.  Further, it has a feedback locating system EQ to help the user iron out the offending feedback frequency.  But of course, it is still a good set of ears that will ensure a good, clean sound.  And coming from a Peavey MP600UG (200W RMS into 4ohms), I can say that I have more than enough output power for my needs.  hehe.  Burger tayo!   :-D

If you could spend more time reading the inputs from the pros here (mikep, KitC et al) please do. I got the input I gave you from them.

For example:

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,129968.0.html
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,106377.15.html

mikep, in one of his replies to posts here, gave this link:

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/amp_info/how_much_power.htm

I'm sorry if I'm kinda insistent. I'm just trying to help bro. I learned a lot from my mistakes in the past (i didn't know they were mistakes till I learned it here at PM) so I'm kinda having this "calling" to help others. This is my way of paying forward the generosity of our pros when they shared their professional audio know-hows with us.:)

In case you'd want to know, mikep carries this on his name (the main reason why i'm a great fan of his):

ASA, AES, SMPTE, IAA :wink:

Sir Mike sorry sa plugging. :-D

Speaking of burger...

Pa-email ng burger bro. Gusto ko double whopper ng burgerking! :-D

God bless everyone!

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:13 PM »
Hehe, thanks for your concern bro.  But don't worry, I'm sure I can't blow my speakers with this amp.  Just operate at the amp rating without distortion. 

Based on your link:
"If you use much more power, you are likely to damage the speaker by forcing the speaker cone to its limits. If you use much less power, youll probably turn up the amp until it clips, trying to make the speaker loud enough. Clipping can damage speakers due to overheating."

Too much power means mech damage.  Clipping and distortion can mean coil damage.  Therefore, we as users need to be content with the "loudness" level which is safe for the amp not to clip.  Then our speakers will be safe.

For example, as long as you have clean sound, you can connect a 100W speaker to a 100W amp, operate it at 10% volume (so you don't wake up the neighbors because it's 12 midnight na. haha) and it is guaranteed you won't damage the speakers.  That simply put is driving a 100W speaker with 10W amp power.  However, if we drive the amp until it distorts and clips, then the 100W amp is actually delivering more than 100W RMS power into the speakers.  Then you might damage the speakers by overheating.

Also taken from MikeP's thread:
"Using an amp with some extra "headroom" will help assure that only clean, undistorted power gets to your speakers. Some professional amplifiers are designed so they have additional headroom. These amps can cleanly reproduce transient peaks that exceed their rated power. In this case select a model with an output power rating equal to the continuous IEC power rating of the speaker."...

"If budget restraints or legacy equipment force you to use an amplifier with less power, extreme care should be taken to see that the amplifier is not driven into clipping."

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »
Hehe, thanks for your concern bro.  But don't worry, I'm sure I can't blow my speakers with this amp.  Just operate at the amp rating without distortion. 

Based on your link:
"If you use much more power, you are likely to damage the speaker by forcing the speaker cone to its limits. If you use much less power, youll probably turn up the amp until it clips, trying to make the speaker loud enough. Clipping can damage speakers due to overheating."

Too much power means mech damage.  Clipping and distortion can mean coil damage.  Therefore, we as users need to be content with the "loudness" level which is safe for the amp not to clip.  Then our speakers will be safe.

For example, as long as you have clean sound, you can connect a 100W speaker to a 100W amp, operate it at 10% volume (so you don't wake up the neighbors because it's 12 midnight na. haha) and it is guaranteed you won't damage the speakers.  That simply put is driving a 100W speaker with 10W amp power.  However, if we drive the amp until it distorts and clips, then the 100W amp is actually delivering more than 100W RMS power into the speakers.  Then you might damage the speakers by overheating.

Also taken from MikeP's thread:
"Using an amp with some extra "headroom" will help assure that only clean, undistorted power gets to your speakers. Some professional amplifiers are designed so they have additional headroom. These amps can cleanly reproduce transient peaks that exceed their rated power. In this case select a model with an output power rating equal to the continuous IEC power rating of the speaker."...

"If budget restraints or legacy equipment force you to use an amplifier with less power, extreme care should be taken to see that the amplifier is not driven into clipping."

I'm actually worried about your amp, not the speakers (mas mura ang speakers). Kasi pag nasira yan (wag naman), pati mixer mo di magagamit. :) Anyway, with the looks of it (though I don't necessarily see hehe) parang hindi mo naman talaga babanatin yung amp mo so sige doble ingat lang.  :-D

Would you mind having the burgers shipped instead? hehehe! Good day bro!

PS. Pansin ko andami kong parentheses ah... hehehe

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 08:51:02 AM »
Thanks bro.  Pag makadaan ako burger king, picturan ko tapos email ko sa yo.  hahaha.  If you happen to go to the south however you can drop me a note and if schedules permit, we might be able to meet.  Laguna ako e.

Back to topic, baka ma-OT tayo eh  :lol:

Hindi na lang ako maglo-load ng less than 4ohms sa amp para iwas thermal runaway...   :-)

Offline haring_araw

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
Raymie_V of South-X?

hehehe si Nix to!

Congrats on your Behringer PMP3000, for church ba yan or para sa studio? 300w boston engineering, nice!

ako rin on the hunt for upgrades sa sound system ng church namin.
Pearl Forum FZ Kit<br />Gio Ibanez Guitar<br />Vantage Guitar<br />Vantage Bass Guitar

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »
Hi Nix,

For both yan.  Yung Peavey kasi nasa GCF na so I need a replacement.  So God gave this one.  :)  Eto yung magagamit namin sa mga outdoor activities.  Problema na lang ay yung speakers kasi nandun din sa GCF most of the time.  I am also looking for replacements while still praying for the money.  hehe...

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 01:28:48 AM »
hirap kasi maghanap ng PHP :?
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »
Hi Nix,

For both yan.  Yung Peavey kasi nasa GCF na so I need a replacement.  So God gave this one.  :)  Eto yung magagamit namin sa mga outdoor activities.  Problema na lang ay yung speakers kasi nandun din sa GCF most of the time.  I am also looking for replacements while still praying for the money.  hehe...

GCF as in Greenhills Christian Fellowship?

Offline raymie_v

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
@Skyjammer,

GCF Sta Rosa po.   :-)