hulika

Author Topic: Let's talk about power supply!  (Read 40414 times)

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
Let's talk about power supply!
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:17:45 PM »
Hi peeps,

I decided to switch from multieffects to analog last year. Before, i was using only a danelectro power supply (like a one spot that can connect daisy chain in it). Unfortunately after using it for almost 4 years, it's broken now. So i've been looking for a decent power supply for days. I went to Lazer then saw this Joyo Power Supply 2 for only P3200, i wasn't able to buy the power supply yesterday because I left my ATM card. When I got home, I read some reviews about it and got some bad feedback. It says on the manual that it's an isolated power supply but based on some reviews it's not.

Please help me find a good one, i have so many questions about it. What is regulated? Isolated? how does it work? I've searched about it but still can't understand.  :cry: :cry: :cry:
references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Let's talk about power supply!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:58:08 AM »
Power supplies like your old Danelectro, the original OneSpot, all the types that rely on daisy-chained DC cables, and a number of "brick" power supplies like the Dunlop DC Brick, the Mac Smith power supplies, etc. are NOT isolated. In other words, they all share connections (if you use a multimeter to check continuity between DC plugs' negative (or positive) conductors, you will hear a beep/see a light/ read zero.) In theory this may cause some noise especially when you make analog and digital pedals share the same power, but if your particular unit has enough mA to power all your pedals comfortably, it's usually quiet enough to not be bothersome.

Isolated power supplies' taps have outputs that are not connected to one another, which means each pedal is getting power separately from the others, which eliminates the chances of power supply noise from one pedal getting into others. Some examples of isolated power supplies currently available are the OneSpot Pro series, the Dunlop Iso Brick (highly recommended by yours truly by the way), and the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:12:16 AM »
Power supplies like your old Danelectro, the original OneSpot, all the types that rely on daisy-chained DC cables, and a number of "brick" power supplies like the Dunlop DC Brick, the Mac Smith power supplies, etc. are NOT isolated. In other words, they all share connections (if you use a multimeter to check continuity between DC plugs' negative (or positive) conductors, you will hear a beep/see a light/ read zero.) In theory this may cause some noise especially when you make analog and digital pedals share the same power, but if your particular unit has enough mA to power all your pedals comfortably, it's usually quiet enough to not be bothersome.

Isolated power supplies' taps have outputs that are not connected to onei another, which means each pedal is getting power separately from the others, which eliminates the chances of power supply noise from one pedal getting into others. Some examples of isolated power supplies currently available are the OneSpot Pro series, the Dunlop Iso Brick (highly recommended by yours truly by the way), and the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.
well explained. Diretsa sa punto.

BTT:
Gumagawa ng isolated si sir emil of pedalmax.
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
What's your budget for the PSU and how many outputs do you need? What other features do you need from it? I'd prefer to shell out a bit of cash for power supplies. Good isolated power supplies can reduce noise in your rig. Cheap power supplies can add more noise, and can potentially damage your pedal. Check out Cioks or Voodoo Lab power supplies.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »

Isolated power supplies' taps have outputs that are not connected to one another, which means each pedal is getting power separately from the others, which eliminates the chances of power supply noise from one pedal getting into others. Some examples of isolated power supplies currently available are the OneSpot Pro series, the Dunlop Iso Brick (highly recommended by yours truly by the way), and the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.
Thanks bro, helps a lot

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

references: sbalbaguio2006 , washburny , pentagram x , markv , tone thinker, r_chino18

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »
well explained. Diretsa sa punto.

BTT:
Gumagawa ng isolated si sir emil of pedalmax.
Yes, i was thinking of getting one from sir emil. Can't decide yet. Thanks bro.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »
What's your budget for the PSU and how many outputs do you need? What other features do you need from it? I'd prefer to shell out a bit of cash for power supplies. Good isolated power supplies can reduce noise in your rig. Cheap power supplies can add more noise, and can potentially damage your pedal. Check out Cioks or Voodoo Lab power supplies.
Actually I need at least 6 9v and 1 12v. I've read reviews about voodoo, I'll check out Cioks. Btw i saw this t-rex at lazer for 8k. Is it worth it?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
Actually I need at least 6 9v and 1 12v. I've read reviews about voodoo, I'll check out Cioks. Btw i saw this t-rex at lazer for 8k. Is it worth it?

If you're talking about the TRex Goliath (gray) yes that's a well-known and highly favored PSU. You might be better off with PedalMax's products though kasi pwede mo i-customize.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:48:19 AM by lolwat »

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
I think the Goliath was priced at 12k sa Lazer (kung tama alala ko). IMHO, you're better off with Emil's stuff. I've had one for 5 years now. Hindi pa rin bumibigay sa akin. Heck, haven't even had to change the fuse on mine.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »
If you're talking about the TRex Goliath (gray) yes that's a well-known and highly favored PSU. You might be better off with PedalMax's products though kasi pwede mo i-customize.
Thanks bro. I'll contact sir Emil.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
I think the Goliath was priced at 12k sa Lazer (kung tama alala ko). IMHO, you're better off with Emil's stuff. I've had one for 5 years now. Hindi pa rin bumibigay sa akin. Heck, haven't even had to change the fuse on mine.
I also saw that goliath for 11.5k. Thanks bro... will reach sir emil. ;)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

Sakto ang Pedal Power 2+ from Voodoo Lab for you, which is around 8k yata. Also check out the Cioks DC8.

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »
Sakto ang Pedal Power 2+ from Voodoo Lab for you, which is around 8k yata. Also check out the Cioks DC8.
Thanks bro. Will check on that.

Offline thkh

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02:46 PM »
Check out the new Truetone/Visual Sound One Spot Pro CS7, it's priced around $120. Slightly cheaper than the Voodoo Lab stuff.
i lurve delay pedals

Offline karl666

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 06:11:44 PM »
Check out the new Truetone/Visual Sound One Spot Pro CS7, it's priced around $120. Slightly cheaper than the Voodoo Lab stuff.

Thanks bro, do you know where i could purchase that precious?

Offline bisckye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »
Hello buhayin ko lang etong thread may kaunting katanungan lang ,
May nakagamit naba sa inyo ng joyo portable power supply? Jmp 01 at jp 05? Wala kasi ako mahanapan ng volto dito sa uae , joyo lang available, salamat guys 😁

Offline dewberry

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 02:35:57 AM »
Looks like okay bro yung JP-05. Yan gamit ni Ocho Queso. So far parang gamit nya pa rin.

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:03 AM »
here's karl's pedalmax power supply.. he used it for 1 and a half years (JAN 2017 to JUL 2018).. and now he's using a Line 6 Helix LT.. ▼

also repaired (for free) his digitech whammy's orig adapter (110V) after using it accidentally in a wrong outlet (220V).. as per my suggestion before he order a psu unit so he will have the means to test his digitech whammy if it still working or if also damaged upon the dielectric breakdown.. ▼

Looks like okay bro yung JP-05. Yan gamit ni Ocho Queso. So far parang gamit nya pa rin.

Here's Ocho's pedalmax power supply circa 2009 (after ondoy) right before i started the pedalmax facebook page ▼

i lost track of how long he's been using it..

but google says joyo jp-05 release date was ▼

Hebrews 3:4
For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.

God bless Ü
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:46:24 AM by emil_murillo »

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »
i got this screenshot just right now and  his fb post says "FEB 16" so that could only mean this year and he answered "mosky" to a fellow pedalmax user marv javier (who happens to be a very big fan of paolo).. again just lost track if the joyo jp-05 was before or after FEB 16 this year 

Offline dewberry

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
Ako naman na kita ko sa Post nya last March 6, 2019 Pedalboard PH na FB group. Dahil daw na sabotahe and para ma avoid mga accident sa stage haha.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:27:16 PM by dewberry »

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »
Ako naman na kita ko sa Post nya last March 6, 2019 Pedalboard PH na FB group. Dahil daw na sabotahe and para ma avoid mga accident sa stage haha.

may ilan na din akong nadidinig na ganyan mula pa and artists.. in my opinion dapat gumagawa na ng solution ang handlers ng gig kasi may tech guys naman sila and just like any other event kahit hindi concert dapat may safety personnel and that includes concerns about the entire electrical system.. an electrical engineer that supervises like a sound engineer to audio concerns.. atleast kahit 10 ang pahinante kahit hindi aral atleast a single electrical engineer supervising them and will follow certain electrical standards.. magkaron na sana ng standards among gigs and concert events.. if the pay is good naman i believe improvements such as these would mean win-win among musicians and to all who matters..

Proverbs 2:11
Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.

God bless Ü

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 11:28:01 PM »
Hello buhayin ko lang etong thread may kaunting katanungan lang ,
May nakagamit naba sa inyo ng joyo portable power supply? Jmp 01 at jp 05? Wala kasi ako mahanapan ng volto dito sa uae , joyo lang available, salamat guys 😁

if you are looking for a rechargeable power supply or that comes with a power bank like pedaltrain volto.. go grab one.. it's a very nice improvement for a power supply to have one most especially if power surges are very frequent in your place.. if you don't have any problems with "ground loop" or "ground loop hum", or "crosstalks", or "channel separation" then you'll be just fine.. but then kung sakaling meron man and/or only if you do have it.. "i advice to use separate batteries na lang.. atleast it will break the ground loop because every battery has separate (-) lugs or ground..

►►►NOTE: all batteries have (+) and (-) polarities by which the (-) is used as an alternative or substitute to (GND) ground.. logically both have currents flowing.. unlike single power supplies which only have (V+) and (GND) by which an ideal ground have "0 current".. "if you share a single supply having substantial current on the (GND) ground to several loads (pedals), each ground loop produces more and intense MAGNETIC FIELD compare to ground loops with an ideal "0 current' single supply.. just like sharing batteries to several loads (pedals)

THE MORE GROUND LOOP ◄► THE MORE GROUND LOOP HUM

THE MORE GROUND LOOP ◄► THE MORE GROUND LOOP HUM

WITH GROUND LOOP BROKEN ◄► NO GROUND LOOP HUM

WITH GROUND LOOP BROKEN ◄► NO GROUND LOOP HUM

GROUND LOOP BROKEN ◄► NO GROUND LOOP HUM

God bless Ü
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:14:26 PM by emil_murillo »

Offline bisckye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 02:52:16 AM »
Salamat po sa advice mga 5 mins bago mag sink in sakin hehe

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 07:19:37 AM »
Salamat po sa advice mga 5 mins bago mag sink in sakin hehe

basta ang potential power supply regardless of brands to having ground loop and/or ground loop hum and crosstalks or degrading channel separation are those psu using the same ground or psu distributed in parallel or to electronics' local term "TAP".. pero hindi naman lahat ng pedals are manifesting significant high audible noise (not producing significant magnetic field) even though logically may ground loop because of using the same ground distributed to all pedals.. you have to be experienced or proficient enough to sort which pedal/s needs isolation or not..

◄◄◄ PROS AND CONS ►►►

► DAISYCHAIN:
the biggest advantage nga lang na alam ng nakararami to power supply with single circuit is the freedom to change pedals one after another basta the same voltage (9V).. may clear deviation nga lang with comes to channel separation or galvanic isolation kasi significant and inevitable ang ground loop.. and if you're proficient enough you will notice that you are limited to a few numbers of pedals that are not manifesting high audible ground loop hum.. and another clear advantage is low price.. clearly a single psu circuit is cheaper than psu with several circuits and an isolation transformer..

► ISOLATED:
the biggest advantage is galvanic isolation up to 500KV-800KV pulse.. breaks ground loops = no significant ground loop hum, no crosstalks, with decent (if not superior) audio channel separation.. but most psu models tends to limit you to certain specs (mainly current).. imagine you have an all isolated psu with 5 x 100mA.. you can't use Boss DD-20, Boss DD-500, or even a Strymon blueSky (what more Eventide pedals) or simply your acqusition of pedals are limited to low consuming pedals.. there were brands with specs having more choices.. but experience taught us that when you have big pedalboards and/or got complex and intense power needs (hybrid powering) → you will need 2 or more (branded) isolated psu to handle all those.. you can try search google image, key word "big pedalboards" to see..

► a humble thought:
If there's a way to acquire all the pedals you've always wanted without worrying about issues on ground loop, ground loop hum, crosstalk, channel separation, hybrid powering e.g. 9V, 24V, 40V, USB, Dual Supply (+9V 0 -9V), CT (2x18VAC), switchables, variables/SAG, warranty (if not a clear & decent repair), and in a single power supply unit with a reasonable price..

God bless Ü
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:14:38 AM by emil_murillo »

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 07:48:28 AM »
Great info above! Thanks @emil_murillo! :)

May I ask though if isolated and regulated non-rechargeable PSUs having toroidal transformers better? Or are they merely marketing hype?

Thanks!