hulika

Author Topic: Record 4 tracks simultaneously using Cubase+Behringer UCA202+PC soundcard  (Read 8121 times)

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
This is a tutorial on how to record 4 tracks simultaneously using Cubase, Asio4All v2, Behringer UCA202, and your PC's internal sound card.

What you will need:
Your Behringer UCA202
Your PC with an internal sound card
ASIO4ALL
Cubase (i'm using cubase 5)

1.) Open Cubase. Go to Devices > Device Setup

2.) In Device Setup, select ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver. Then in the ASIO4ALL window, turn on the Behringer UCA202 (USB AUDIO DEVICE in the picture) and your PC's Internal Soundcard (Realtek High Definition Audio in the picture).

3.) After that, close the Device Setup and ASIO4ALL windows. Then go to Devices > VST Connections

4.) In the VST Connections window, go to the Inputs tab. There should be 1 stereo bus in there (or something else). Remove it.. Then replace it by adding 4 mono buses.

5.) Then set the device ports to the inputs of your UCA202 and sound card (see picture). It says Input 1 and Input 2 on the devices because they have stereo inputs: LEFT and RIGHT, but they're set to MONO so yeah...

6.) Close the VST Connections tab. Then go and add 4 tracks.

7.) Then set each track to any mono inputs you want to use (e.g. Track 1 - Mono1, Track 2 - Mono 2)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:20:24 PM by irajames »
Regards,
IraJames

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
i did something like this around a year ago. i used a maudio 2496 and the onboard sound during my attempt. same concept, asio4all and several buses. it works but its not synchronized. the 2496 inputs are ok with each other but not with the realtek. i forgot which one has latency or even 'reverse' latency. (if there's such a thing) if i remember it correctly, the (wave forms) 2496 registers a bit early on the count and the realtek si delayed by ratio of 3 to 5. (this is from the downbeat itself) thats a hell of a discrepancy if you're recording drums. theres also a slight delay before the waveforms show up.

let me elaborate, it the 2496 registers at 0.01 secs ahead of the downbeat, the realtek shows up 0.03 to 0.05 late from the dowbeat. (im not sure of the exact terms so i just created my own.) i hope you dont get the same results i got.

O.T.
this is info more of a by-product of my attemp to make my audiophile 2496 work back then. i had trouble with inconsistent signal and noise plus unexplained peaks. i tried it on cubase sx3 , cubase studio 4 and nuendo 3. i was getting desperate back then and the fix --- is a simple driver downgrade.  :-D
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
i did something like this around a year ago. i used a maudio 2496 and the onboard sound during my attempt. same concept, asio4all and several buses. it works but its not synchronized. the 2496 inputs are ok with each other but not with the realtek. i forgot which one has latency or even 'reverse' latency. (if there's such a thing) if i remember it correctly, the (wave forms) 2496 registers a bit early on the count and the realtek si delayed by ratio of 3 to 5. (this is from the downbeat itself) thats a hell of a discrepancy if you're recording drums. theres also a slight delay before the waveforms show up.

let me elaborate, it the 2496 registers at 0.01 secs ahead of the downbeat, the realtek shows up 0.03 to 0.05 late from the dowbeat. (im not sure of the exact terms so i just created my own.) i hope you dont get the same results i got.

O.T.
this is info more of a by-product of my attemp to make my audiophile 2496 work back then. i had trouble with inconsistent signal and noise plus unexplained peaks. i tried it on cubase sx3 , cubase studio 4 and nuendo 3. i was getting desperate back then and the fix --- is a simple driver downgrade.  :-D
Thanks for the info! In my case, i don't experience any latency lags. Maybe it has something to UCA202 running on USB. I think the UCA202  doesn't "stress out" the pc like the 2496 does. Or maybe it has something to do with my PC running on Quad core. 
Regards,
IraJames

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
im running a quad myself. im planning to pair it up with a fastrack pro in the future. (for additional inputs) i hope i dont encounter something like this when the time comes. 
one more thing, the difference in sound capture is marginally different. as in!

O.T.
by any chance do you know of a dual input preamp that can do digital output in 24/96? just cheap ones and locally available so i can use the digital input of the 2496.... 
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member

one more thing, the difference in sound capture is marginally different. as in!
lol true. but i don't really mind because i use the realtek when recording the snare and kick drum then use drumagog later. but yesterday i recorded 2 acoustic guitars at the same time using the realtek and it sounds pretty decent for me.  http://www.myspace.com/brainfartstudio1  :-D

O.T.
by any chance do you know of a dual input preamp that can do digital output in 24/96? just cheap ones and locally available so i can use the digital input of the 2496....  
i don't eh. sorry.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:18:27 PM by irajames »
Regards,
IraJames

Offline Peter North

I've done this before, but instead of using the realtek.. i've used 4 UCA200 simultaneously giving me 8 independent mono tracks in my DAW. Ok naman ang resulta. Luckily my laptop had 5 usb inputs. sakto lang sa paggagamitan ko.

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
I've done this before, but instead of using the realtek.. i've used 4 UCA200 simultaneously giving me 8 independent mono tracks in my DAW. Ok naman ang resulta. Luckily my laptop had 5 usb inputs. sakto lang sa paggagamitan ko.
awesome! i was planning to use 4 UCAs din pero di ako sure kung gagana. thanks for sharing.  :-D
Regards,
IraJames

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Set the buffers to a latency that exceeds the latency caused by using asio4all on the realtek. This in theory should synchronize all inputs.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline irajames

• Veteran Member
Set the buffers to a latency that exceeds the latency caused by using asio4all on the realtek. This in theory should synchronize all inputs.
yup. it works perfectly. walang latency whatsoever. sound quality lang naiiba. hahaha.
Regards,
IraJames

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
yup. it works perfectly. walang latency whatsoever. sound quality lang naiiba. hahaha.

That is because its only 16bit.

Offline alvincflorentino

Can anyone offer a step-by-step of the above using 2 UCA202s with Sonar 7 or 8? In theory it should also work but I don't know the ins and outs (literally!). Thanks in advance...
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Can anyone offer a step-by-step of the above using 2 UCA202s with Sonar 7 or 8? In theory it should also work but I don't know the ins and outs (literally!). Thanks in advance...

Use WDM instead of asio if Sonar can only detect one of the UCA's. If behringer applied their UCA asio driver package properly, it should be able to 'unify' multiple UCA's into a single driver. Asio has a tendency to 'see' a single interface only (for stricter control of latency and timing), so if the UCA's don't appear as a unified whole, it's better to use the WDM drivers.

As for Jobet's suggestion on the buffer settings, the tradeoff is in overall latency, however, but there is a way to circumvent this especially if you pair that setup with a mixer that has the 'ALT 3/4' button. This is alternate method to 'direct hardware monitoring'.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ive been doing this since COOL EDIT days!!! i had 4 " ordinary sound cards " installed in my PC... so i had 8 individual inputs ( 8 mono )... i used the built-in audio of the mobo for monitoring...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
I used to have an AWE32 paired with an SBLive. For one thing, the difference in audio quality between the 2 was more than noticeable. Noise was louder on the AWE, and I couldn't get rid of the DC offset that was plaguing their inputs. Yes, I had multiple inputs, but part of my editing process was getting rid of the DC offset as well as curing noise problems, which when digital eq and noise reductionusually compounded the problem. When I went to a better soundcard in terms of the Terratex DMX 6fire, the sound quality difference was staggering!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire