hulika

Author Topic: 'Diamond' in the rough  (Read 2631 times)

slowspeederII

'Diamond' in the rough
« on: February 27, 2007, 03:58:45 AM »
        Thank you Shutterbugjohn
        Luck maybe was on my side as i was reading some add at Guitar Classified. To start with, i've been fascinated by Les Pauls since i was 14 or 15, when i had the chance to play one for the very first time. It was a wine red Gibson Les Paul Custom. And since then i had a romantic relationships with LPs. Ace Frehley of KISS, a certified Les Paul user, once said '... this is one guitar that has a lot of balls'. A lot of 'balls' indeed!
        As i was reading Guitar Classified, i saw a lot of ads plastered on my computer screeen selling les pauls of different brands, from Gibson to Epiphone, Greco to Bacchus to RJ. All jaw dropping! But there's one that caught my eye, it's a red sunburst Les Paul Custom, but whose brand i'm not so familiar with: Diamond. The ad said MIJ. Diamond? I told myself...'what the heck! It's another one of those lawsuit watchamacallit japanese brand!' Being sold by one Shutterbugjohn.  I saw the pic... its 1:1 copy of the real. Though admittedlly not as jaw dropping as the other brands, it even looked old, but it still has its own appeal anyway.
        But for one reason or another, of all the les paul brands being sold, there was a 'whisper' telling me to look at this mysterious 'Diamond". I called up Shutterbugjohn and asked him if could see the guitar. Surething! he said. So i went (Spyroghyro as with me). Finally i saw the 'Diamond'... staring right in front of me. Though not so diamond physically, true enough it looked old as in the picture, like it took a lot of beatings in the past... hehe. But to put it nicely, this guitar looked like veteran one.
        It was handed to me, then Shutterbugjohn said 'try it!'. So grabbed it, it was practically light for a Les Paul designed guitar. It was plugged straight to a Yamaha amp with no effects in between, just the gain fully cranked up. As i hit the first note... Lo and behold!... the celestial sound coming from the guitar went straight into the stratosphere! AWESOME! My fingers practically flew across the fretboard on its own! The playability was just great as if it was set at my own specs. I have played many les pauls in the past, Gibson or others, but i have never played anything like it. It may be just a 'copy' with its stock pickups, but it sure can kick other guitars' butt! There are only two guitars, so far, that i have played so comfortably with, and that has the same playability: a Jackson ( owned by a long lost friend) which i tried a long, long time ago. And now, this Diamond Les Paul. This guitar may look old, but what the heck! It's like an old '57 Chevy.... in its Hot Rod mode! Raw power!
        I went back to Shutterbugjohn the next day. Luckily nobody got interested in it. I bought. And since then, my hands has never left the fretboard. Now i have a Hot Rod... zoooming away! A name i've never heard of... a real 'diamond' in the rough.
        So to all of you out there in search of a guitar... use y our gut feeling! Pick one up... and try it. don't be misled by appearances, they're just secondary. And don't be ashamed if it's not an original... coz it might be the right one for you
        There's so much i like to thank Shutterbugjohn for. Hes such a nice guy to deal with. I just hope there other Shutterbugjohns out there (.... and Jon DLCs too... and emilM), these people makes living in this guitar world a lot better... Rock on!

Offline Boosted

• Forum Fanatic
Re: 'Diamond' in the rough
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 07:39:58 AM »
ayus!  :-D

Offline lao

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:11:21 AM »
got to test that guitar also, galing ng tunog, awesome color din! alittle cleaning and it will be a diamond na talaga :-D

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
guys -- you're all responding to a post made by a bot... or didn't you realize that?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »
A bot? Tough call, dude. Shutterbugjohn is actually a PhilMusic member. Bots usually don't cite names of real members and personalities in a forum, either.

If it is, then it's one very very smart bot.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline fuzzylogic

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:22:32 PM »
ano yung bot?   :-D

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 06:28:14 PM »
its a program designed to make our lives miserable

prang narinig o nakita ko na yung diamond na yan eh...

ayun!

nakasabit yan sa bahay ni sir jon ng elegee custom shop!

its a Diamond LP...lumang luma na pero mukang panalo pa rin!
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »
A bot? Tough call, dude. Shutterbugjohn is actually a PhilMusic member. Bots usually don't cite names of real members and personalities in a forum, either.

If it is, then it's one very very smart bot.

Bots are intended to be smart...  :-D  I get tons of emails everyday where I am addressed by my first name, there are words thrown in the header and body that are actually relevant and make me think the email is legit... until I look at the sender.

The analogy to a 57 Chevy is what's throwing me off... how many Pinoys would really use that as an analogy? 

High-tech ng mundo ngayon ano?

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »

Bots are intended to be smart...  :-D  I get tons of emails everyday where I am addressed by my first name, there are words thrown in the header and body that are actually relevant and make me think the email is legit... until I look at the sender.

The analogy to a 57 Chevy is what's throwing me off... how many Pinoys would really use that as an analogy? 

High-tech ng mundo ngayon ano?

Baka mahilig manood ng Ride sa Discovery Channel or lumaki sa America.  :wink:

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

Congrats on your new guitar!!! Keep on playing!!

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »
Defend mo sarili mo bro!!!  That is of course, kung di ka nga bot  :-P

Sana may pic nung guitar
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline spyroghyro

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
Ok mga bro relax lang kayo, slowspeeder is not a BOT. He's one of those guys na who frequently browse and visits  philmusic as the one of the "silent majority". This is his 1st thread/post d2 sa philmusic. I was with the guy when we first visited and tested shutterbugjohn's guitar. He's a buddy esp. when we're talking about guitars but actually he's one of my boss. So once again slowspeeder is not a bot, thank you. Peace.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 06:29:58 PM by spyroghyro »

Offline lao

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 07:06:17 PM »
Ok mga bro relax lang kayo, slowspeeder is not a BOT. He's one of those guys na who frequently browse and visits  philmusic as the one of the "silent majority". This is his 1st thread/post d2 sa philmusic. I was with the guy when we first visited and tested shutterbugjohn's guitar. He's a buddy esp. when we're talking about guitars but actually he's one of my boss. So once again slowspeeder is not a bot, thank you. Peace.

was planning to buy nga yung LP ni shutterbugjohn, i tested it din, a few days passed and na sold na pala, kaya i think this guy is for real :-D

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 07:16:55 PM »
hahaha. well, there you go.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com