hulika

Author Topic: CLIP-ON VS PEDAL TUNER? which is more accurate?  (Read 2908 times)

Offline japsiamd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
CLIP-ON VS PEDAL TUNER? which is more accurate?
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »
What is the best tuner for both electric and acoustic guitar? clip-on or pedal tuners? what brand? Thanks.

Offline metalmaster

Re: CLIP-ON VS PEDAL TUNER? which is more accurate?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »
What is the best tuner for both electric and acoustic guitar? clip-on or pedal tuners? what brand? Thanks.
:idea:

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »

In general, mas accurate ang pedal tuner kesa clip-on tuner. I believe Sonic Research Turbo Tuner pa rin ang pinaka accurate na pedal tuner ngayon.

For acoustic guitars naman, you can only use a pedal tuner kung may pickup siya. Kung walang pickup ang acoustic, you'll only be able to use a tuner that has a microphone or can detect vibrations (usually clip-on tuners). Maraming clip-on tuners, don't know which one is the most accurate as I'm not a fan of clip-ons. Pero the TC Polytune Clip has been getting a lot of positive reviews. And also the Snark clip on tuners, which are more affordable.

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:43:06 AM »
Pedal Tuner=nakasalalay ay ang tune at tunog ng pickups.
Clip on=nakaasa sa vibration ng string thru wood.

Pros of pedal tuner: I can't say which is better or accurate, but I may say that the pedal is the one you need when you need to intonate, due to it's accuracy.

Pros of clip on: very handy and compact, kahit sa bulsa kasya.

Better to have both. I have my clip on on my acoustic and pedal to my electric.
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
Strobe tuners are the most accurate, and if I remember correctly, Peterson now offers it in pedal form.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »
The difference in accuracy rates of most current pedal and clip-on tuners, strobe or otherwise, almost doesn't matter. In fact, most are very small that it is almost impossible to differentiate and hear. Tracking, not only in terms of speed but also in sensitivity, is where the big difference lies and pedal tuners would almost always excel in this aspect.

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
The difference in accuracy rates of most current pedal and clip-on tuners, strobe or otherwise, almost doesn't matter. In fact, most are very small that it is almost impossible to differentiate and hear. Tracking, not only in terms of speed but also in sensitivity, is where the big difference lies and pedal tuners would almost always excel in this aspect.

agree
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

This. I have a pedal strobe tuner that is accurate to 0.01 cent. But do I have a guitar machinehead precise enough to make use of that? No.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 05:00:57 PM »
I bought a clip-on tuner with the prospect of saving space on my pedalboard ( taking off the pedal tuner from the board).
But During gigs i found it more difficult to tune as the clip on tuner was detecting the other sounds from the venue ( other bandmates doing soundcheck).

So back up lang ngayon ang function ng clip on tuner ko :-)

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
i agree with all the posts above.

if you're going to plunk, one time on a pedal tuner, Turbo Tuner imho is a good way to go. maganda din naman sensitivity nya

never liked the Peterson. once in a while id see them in used stores here at my place. so it means that some do not like them too.

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
Clip-on/Pedal based tuner aside - you should also invest on machine heads with good gear ratios (e.g. grover, gotoh).

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 08:43:54 AM »
Just bought a ns microtuner for less weight na dinadala sa gigs...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 12:04:17 AM »
In my very humble opinion, Strobe Tuners as first released by Conn back in the day were the most accurate tuners ever made. Coming on the heels of the Conn Strobe Tuner is Peterson which is just as good as Conn. But most strobe tuners are very expensive. But Pedal Tuners are great. Also those BOSS TU tuners. I have a matrix tuner that I bought for a thousand pesos in 1999 on my present pedalboard and it still serves me well after 15 years of service.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline Rayel.Baruela

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 11:04:09 AM »
para sakin like the one who said 1st to me

`mas Ok ang Vibrato tuners para sa acoustic : sa electric di sya ganun kabilis mag sense nang tune. imo.

`sa electric, pedal tuner is Great as far as i know ;)

anyway merong Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200 Price: Php 6,500.00 sa Neldel Music http://www.nelldenmusic.com/turbo-tuner.html
Karma is a Bitch!...Right???

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
The Turbo Tuner tracks the best in my experience. Siyempre sa accuracy at durability panalo rin siya.

There are good clip on tuners though (Snark and TC are the ones I've had). They're convenient to use and bring around. Medyo kailangan lang alagaan para di mabali kapag laging linalabas.

Offline mjsmanahan29

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 04:57:44 PM »
There's a slight difference in tuning accuracy for clip-on and pedal tuners, clip on's note is slightly sharp compared to pedal tuner.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
clip ons are cool, and light and small, I have Daddario NS micro tuners on all my guitars and bass, the problem lang with them is pag masyadong maingay yung stage..medyo nahihirapan niya basahin frequency... but for the weight and size, Im all go for clip on tuners..wag lang yung OA na masyadong bulky at nakausli yung reader... NS micro tuner the best!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 10:51:46 PM »
before i use a pedal tuner - bulky lalo na kung magpraktis ka lang i setup mo pa pedalboard mo

ngayon clip tuner na lang - anytime anywhere

pag di makita ang clip tuner cellphone app lang ok na lalo na kung sa room ka lang.

in terms of accuracy i dont hear any difference,,,,,, i dont have that super bionic ear to hear if its 0.01 cent accurate basta it sounds in tune ok na sa akin. sa totoo lang i sometimes make my tuning a little sharp pero tunog in tune pa din.

i think we should focus more on how to make our instrument stay in tune longer than knowing which tuner is the most accurate. invest more on locking tuners, good nut and good bridge/trem and proper set up..... id rather have a guitar that stays in tune.......than the best tuner in the world

Offline janjan0416

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »
Pedal Tuner!  :wave:

Got my Korg Pitchblack mini, works well naman para saken at affordable pa.  :)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »
if you have the real estate, get a pedal tuner! it'll be your killswitch as well. and, you'll have non of those thingies dangling or hanging from your headstock hahahaha. bawas pogi eh. hahaha

but clip ons are also reliable. when we were active in  the gigging scene, we exclusively used clip-ons due to convenience.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »
I wish I could get more of those Planet Waves micro tuners. I plan to put one on all guitars I use

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
I wish I could get more of those Planet Waves micro tuners. I plan to put one on all guitars I use

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »

they are awesome! I still have 2 pcs. left.. I used most of my stock actually! haha..message me on FB Marco.. its new stock (the battery plastic separator is still there).. but the no packaging as I got them in bulk. hehe 1200 free shipping with a daddario sticker.
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
clip-ons are fairly accurate. if i have the opportunity to use pedal based tuner then i use them. otherwise, clip-ons will do. ito yung mga nagamit ko na

snark (red version) - good but the plastic of the main tuner broke. after a while the plastic became sticky/gooey
son of snark - good but viewing angle is not optimal. magkaka stiff neck ka kakatingin sa small screen
polytune clip on - good. i'm still using this
polytune mini (v1) - good and bright
pitchblack - good but may not be very visible if masyadong maliwanag like outdoor. slightly slower tracking compared to polytune
fishman aura spectrum (built in tuner) - good enough
ms30g (built in tuner) - quite slow yung tracking compared to dedicated pedal tuners
doh!!!

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
for fun,  TY , beer-taxi money gigs, every extra gram of gear you carry matters... and not worth the weight sa bagahe na bitbitin or dalhin..so clip on tuner for me..basta kasya lang sa isang gigbag..yun na yun..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *