hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296945 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »
btw, when using headphones as monitors...

ung master volume lagi 0db!? or higher...

No. Use a level you're comfortable with. Always protect your hearing, unless of course you're Beethoven's reincarnation, then it won't matter if you go deaf.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2007, 09:12:04 PM »
i tested the altec lansing...kaya nya...20-20000Hz

ung headphone hnd...awww  :-(
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
Hi guys. I'm not sure kung naitanong na ito sa mga thread dito. I've read the thread before pero baka di ko lang naintindihan kung meron mang info regarding this. I hope you'll be patient answering my questions. Please give some "IDIOT PROOF" answers oki? hehe.
i have a mixer (not a USB/Firewire) ang a PC at home. i think 1/8" ang input ng PC. (Please correct me if I'm wrong..) Ang out naman ng mixer ay 1/4". How do I connect my mixer to the PC?

mixer out(stereo) -
RCA-1/8" cable (with RCA-1/4" adapters) -
PC 1/8" input

tama ba ang connection na nasa isip ko? or do i need a gadget pa (interface ba yun?) to connect?

thanks for your extremely patient advice. :-D

mga kaforum.. bakit walang sumagot?
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
mga kaforum.. bakit walang sumagot?

Let's put it this way... you can't be an idiot with these things. Somehow, someway, technology 'to, and you can't just allow yourself not to know about these things. Ignorance is how equipment gets trashed and good gear just gets wasted.

Judging from your pc, you're either connecting to the onboard inputs or a consumer gaming soundcard. If you're only concerned with recording demos and maybe a few ideas, you can get by with this pero if you're after some serious recording, don't waste your time and just get a better soundcard. As it is, you can only record 2 channels or a plain stereo mix from the mixer. Anything other than that will require a whole lot of perseverance from you.

Simply connect the 1/8" stereo y-cable from the pc to the mixer's main or control room outs... ok na yun.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
thanks sa reply.
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
Hi,

My setup is...

Guitar -> DI Box -> Laptop Soundcard
..the cable I will use will have an XLR plug (for DI Box out) on one end and a Stereo Plug (for Sound Card in) on the other end

Mawawala po ba yung pagka "balanced" nung signal from the DI box to the Laptop Soundcard dahil i-coconvert ko yung isang dulo ng XLR cable from XLR plug to stereo plug?  :? :?

Thanks...   :-)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
Mawawala po ba yung pagka "balanced" nung signal from the DI box to the Laptop Soundcard dahil i-coconvert ko yung isang dulo ng XLR cable from XLR plug to stereo plug?  :? :?

Definitely.

A DI's balanced output 'expects' to be connected to a balanced input. In a balanced connection, the same signal is present in pins 2 and 3, but with the signal in pin 3 is opposite in terms of phase polarity to the signal in pin 2. This has noise canceling properties with respect to the connecting cable, plus the signal is summed in the receiving device giving the added benefit of 6 dB of gain.  Converting a balanced signal to stereo defeats this purpose, plus summing the 2  channels to a stereo track will result in complete cancellation. Most DI's are designed for unbalanced line level input so there is also the issue of impedance mismatch when connecting a guitar to a typical DI box.

Rather than use a DI, get a pc interface that has guitar/instrument connections instead.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
andito pala yung Q & A.

Sir KitC, sorry kung kinulit kita sa kabila ah.

next week po bibilin na namin ung nirecoment niniyo MAudio 1010LT. analaking tulong po ng mga sagot ninyo! salamat!

Offline bugoy_king

« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2007, 12:31:54 AM »
KitC,

I would like to get your opinion on this probable set-up (for recording drums at home):

- Macbook 2.0 GhZ, 1GB RAM (upgradable)
- Logic Pro
- MOTU UltraLite Firewire Audio Interface (10 in, 14 out)
- studio monitors (most probably Behringer Truth 2031A)
- drum mics (haven't decided which, but leaning towards Shure)

Ok na ba yung ganitong set-up? Thanks!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2007, 12:41:04 AM »
I don't see why not. I assume you have a good grasp of Logic, although for audio, it's pretty straightforward. Just don't ask me how to configure its Environment... it's like playing 3D chess.

Offline bugoy_king

« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2007, 12:56:22 AM »
Honestly, i don't, although I've managed to get a few really helpful tutorials from the Net, aside from browsing thru different fora regarding Logic.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Offline audiopanic

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2007, 02:48:16 PM »
noob question po:

i've got a pc with

athlon x2 3400
asrock ALiveNF6G-VSTA
2gb ddr2 533mhz ram
using built-in audio and video
40gb 5400rpm ide hdd

aside from getting another hdd (sata2), what else do i need to record guitar tracks for demo purposes with low latency? should i get a soundcard or a usb interface? i'll try out the reaper software too.

i've tried out this current setup with guitar tracks and i can't get decent real-time recording with my guitar.

suggestions naman po for the cheapest but acceptable setup.

thanks in advance!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »
sir, subukan niyo po muna yun asio4all.  it's a free asio driver para maayos yun timin issues mo.  kung masaya ka na sa quality ng recording through your onboard, then you're set without havin to spend more.  HTH.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline audiopanic

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »
thanks! install ko mamaya sa bahay para masubukan!

Offline audiopanic

« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2007, 08:21:03 AM »
astig asio4all! parang real-time na mag-record! thanks for this tip! saved me a lot of money!

however, i experienced dropouts with guitar tracks pro and couldn't fix them. i switched to reaper and was able to record without any problems. looks like i'll be using that from now on.

thanks sa mga tips!

Offline solgimichki

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2007, 03:35:53 AM »
iv been recording using my PC for quite some time now. usually guitar and voice lang. i run a pentium D and i use Sonar 4. my interface is the tascam us-122. latly i got a laptop to help me keep up sana wid recording on the road. and a very powerful laptop might i add. i picked my OS to be Windows Vista HE(home edition) and as it turns out hindi pala gumagana ang kahit anong music recording program sa Vista. not even my tascam can be installed.

my question is... can anyone tell me if there are any existing softwers for recording out there that can run in Vista? and if i were to get an new interface, what brand can format to Vista? please take this as a for-warning to all people that plan to upgrade their OS. VISTA CANNOT COMPLY WID ANY OLD RECORDING PROGMS or INTERFACES... believe me.. i've tried everything from pro tools to nuendo. ung pasok lang was Adobe Audition.. yuk...

thanx in advance!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »
my question is... can anyone tell me if there are any existing softwers for recording out there that can run in Vista?

Sonar, beginning with version 5 and above, has been coded to take advantage of Vista specification, especially in areas of 64-bit operation. Try to upgrade to S5 or higher. Most other DAW software are being upgraded for Vista compatibility, albeit slowly.

Much harder is trying to find Vista drivers for a lot of gear, especially 64-bit drivers. Probably explains why blip.tv made this.

You will be better off using WinXP for DAW usage in the meantime.

Offline ecva

« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
Hi mga sir/ma'am,

Makikitanong na po sana ako.

I have a PC and these are the specs:
Gigabyte P35-DQ6
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2GB Corsair XMS2
Palit 8500GT
M-Audio Delta44
M-Audio Trigger Finger

Tanung lang po sana, ano po magandang mixer na i-pair sa delta44? I'm looking at the peavey pv6 mixer since I'm only going to be recording vocals lang and gusto ko sana yung maraming input options but it will only be recorded one track at a time. I'm also looking at behringer mixers. Ano po kaya mas maganda (based on mic pre-amps)?

And can I route the delta44's outputs to the mixer so I can monitor the output? How do I do that so I won't be looping the sounds coming in and out of the interface?

Salamat po ng marami.
[Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Focusrite Forte, Presonus Studio One 2.6 Professional, NI Maschine Mikro MK2. NI Komplete 9. M-Audio Keystation 49es. Audio Technica ATH-M50. Audio Technica AT4047/SV]

Offline ETM(PHILS)

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2008, 11:19:11 PM »
sir, subukan niyo po muna yun asio4all.  it's a free asio driver para maayos yun timin issues mo.  kung masaya ka na sa quality ng recording through your onboard, then you're set without havin to spend more.  HTH.

:-) :-) :-)

sir question?

my PC specs (old)

hardware:
AMD duron 800 mhz
256 MB RAM
100 gb hd
creative soundcard

software:
reaper shareware

may delay nga ang recording ko a small msecond...  I just would like to ask kung ano po ba ang asio4all? anong advantage nya for recording? meron akong zoom asio nakainstall...

may sample ako ng recordings ko sa soundclick(my signature)

Thank you.

Offline wannabeguitarist

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »
aspiring to do recording, what are the basic equipments I need? yung pang beginer lang. thanks

Offline audiopanic

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2008, 08:13:59 AM »
sir question?

my PC specs (old)

hardware:
AMD duron 800 mhz
256 MB RAM
100 gb hd
creative soundcard

software:
reaper shareware

may delay nga ang recording ko a small msecond...  I just would like to ask kung ano po ba ang asio4all? anong advantage nya for recording? meron akong zoom asio nakainstall...

may sample ako ng recordings ko sa soundclick(my signature)

Thank you.

sinubukan ko rin yung asio4all, as suggested. nagkaroon ng asio driver yung mga audio devices ko (sound card, zoom g2.1u) so instead na wdm, asio na gamit ko kaya nawala yung latency. nakakapagrecord na ako ng tracks realtime  kahit naka-playback yung ibang tracks - hindi ko magawa yun nung wala pa akong asio4all.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
@ETM(PHILS) - your pc is getting to be on the slow side for recording. First of all, your cpu is on the bare minimum needed for most present-day software to run plus you only have 256 megs of ram... XP just barely functions with that much ram. I suggest upgrading your ram to at least 512 megs; 1 gigabyte if you can afford it will be loads better. You will be hardpressed to find a cpu upgrade, but replacing your duron with an socket-A Athlon or even Sempron (if your mobo supports it) will give you additional processing horsepower.

The asio4all drivers are ok, but I got better performance using kxdrivers with soundblasters.

aspiring to do recording, what are the basic equipments I need? yung pang beginer lang. thanks

Most computers today have what you need to start recording; internal soundcard with line inputs and outputs, all you have to add is a mixer to be able to accept multiple inputs. Bear in mind that the onboard soundcard will have compromised sound quality so don't expect to release pro sounding recordings with that. You don't need a mixer if you already have equipment with suitable line outputs. Examples are keyboards and some digital guitar multifx, but if you want to record vocals, you will need a mic preamp and a mic of course. Behringer mixers are inexpensive enough for beginners and come with several mic preamps - some models even have built-in fx.

LouieAzcona

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »
sir kit, binabasa ko kasi mga previous posts niyo dito, ano po ba ibig sabihin ng paga-assemble ng PC depende sa software? paano po malalaman kung ano ang kailangan ng software? pano kung sonar 7 or protools?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2008, 09:08:05 PM »
sir kit, binabasa ko kasi mga previous posts niyo dito, ano po ba ibig sabihin ng paga-assemble ng PC depende sa software? paano po malalaman kung ano ang kailangan ng software? pano kung sonar 7 or protools?

Sonar, for example, has a minimum requirement: at least 1 GHz processor with at least 256 megs of ram. Understand that if you follow these specs, your computer will most likely crawl or grind to a screeching stop if you follow this minimum so it's entirely reasonable to expect that you should multiply the minimum values by at least 1.5 if you want to be able to do SOME audio work with your computer. Add the fact that Sonar is windows only so this somehow directs your hardware choice, although you can run Sonar on a Mac using Bootcamp, albeit with a few limitations.

There are software that are dual platform, Cubase/Nuendo, in particular, so choosing either Steinberg product will give you some flexibility in choosing your computing platform. Other software such as Logic Pro and Digital Performer are Mac only so that definitely mitigates usage in a PC. ProTools is also dual platform, btw, but the HD version of PT is so very specific with hardware requirements that it's almost mandatory to use Macs in order to avoid hardware issues. That is not to say you can't run PT on windows, but Digidesign is really picky when it comes to windows hardware.

Another factor is the soundcard. Some motherboard chipsets have issues with soundcards. For example, if you intend to use a firewire audio interface, the firewire chipset of choice is Texas Instruments. This is not some urban legend, but was arrived at by several respected DAW builders who experienced glitches with other FW chipsets such as Via, Agere and Ricoh (although Via seems to be on the rebound lately). On the pci card side, Intel's P35 is emerging as the chipset of choice nowadays, superceding the former P965 and 975 chipsets. Another thing is that pci soundcards are SLOWWLLLYYY transitioning to pcie. Some mobos only have 2 pci slots while the newer Intel X38 and X48 mobos have absolutely none, so getting a pci soundcard for an X48 mobo is just plain... you know. One more thing... some soundcards, such as Apogee's Ensemble, are Mac only so that definitely dictates your choice of computer hardware.

DAW software developers usually publish a list of recommended soundcards for their products. Cakewalk, for example, has a list of approved soundcards and listed issues with some cards previously. Usually, this is not a problem since soundcard manufacturers often release driver updates to correct these issues.

If you want to see which soundcards are usually recommended with certain DAW software, go to their user forums. I lurked in the Cakewalk forums for a year before I developed my present DAW.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:07:04 AM by KitC »

LouieAzcona

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:02 PM »
If you want to see which soundcards are usually recommended with certain DAW software, go to their user forums. I lurked in the Cakewalk forums for a year before I developed my present DAW.

magandang inspiration ito. salamat po!