hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 360551 times)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
Peter Frampton had to listen to Sgt. Pepper's lp and would not get out of his room for a while.

Bryan Wilson had to congratulate fellow Beach Boys at the time Sgt Peppers was released.

Uk radio stations play altogether Sgt Peppers lp/ album to commemorate its anniversary.

Sgt Peppers was voted as the No. 1 album of all time by the Rolling Stone Mag.

Sgt Peppers is the no. 1 album by the RS Mag for the pd. 1967-1987.

Sgt Peppers remains to be my No. 1 album of all time.
According to Lennon, Sgt Peppers was the peak.

For me naman.. Abbey Road but I like Sgt. Peppers too because of:

1. John's extraordinary vocal rendition of A day in a life. No offense to Bee Gees fans pero para sa akin angat talaga ang version ni Lennon.
2. Paul's bass lines on A little help from my friends. He conducts the orchestra too.
3. Ringo's drum fill ins in A day in a life, first of a kind. Never heard like that one before.
4. George's riff on Sgt. Pepper's reprise but I hate the Indian music in within you without you.

By the way Paul's jacket was marked OPD on its arm. Some said it means Officialy pronounced Dead (Paul is dead theory)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:48:22 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline audio deft

« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2010, 12:28:32 AM »
guys, correct me if i'm wrong, di ba ung "magical mystery tour" album was sort of an extension, or continuation of pepper's? halos same period ang recording ata nitong dalawang albums..... anyway, isip ko lang, what if those two albums were recorded as one, or released as a double lp, i don't think there would be any doubt as to what is the greatest album of all time..... iba iba din kasi sa bawat survey ang greatest album of all time. but most of the time it's a beatles album on top

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »
guys, correct me if i'm wrong, di ba ung "magical mystery tour" album was sort of an extension, or continuation of pepper's? halos same period ang recording ata nitong dalawang albums..... anyway, isip ko lang, what if those two albums were recorded as one, or released as a double lp, i don't think there would be any doubt as to what is the greatest album of all time..... iba iba din kasi sa bawat survey ang greatest album of all time. but most of the time it's a beatles album on top

yes it is. Ang let it be at Abbey Road din. Halos sunod sunod din ang recording sessions non.
Had it been released in double LP, meron na namang superb bass line si Paul don sa Penny Lane at... Strawberryfields forever ni John at fill ins ni Ringo. George's riff on Hello goodbye and then again there was this Blue Jay Way Indian music flavored which I don't like so much.

By the way, Paul has a black rose pinned on his jacket while John, George & Ringo's rose were red. (Paul is dead theory)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:40:24 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »

Magical Mystery Tour Album contained the first Beatle song Flying which was written by them four, John, Paul, George & Ringo.

The other Beatle song written by the four Beatle is in the Let it be album.Is it Dig it or Maggie Mae?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
Magical Mystery Tour Album contained the first Beatle song Flying which was written by them four, John, Paul, George & Ringo.

The other Beatle song written by the four Beatle is in the Let it be album.Is it Dig it or Maggie Mae?

It would have to be Dig It - which is essentially a jam session with words thrown in. Maggie Mae I think is a traditional British folk tune which the arrangement is credited to the four. Plus OPD means Ontario Police District on Paul's police uniform in Pepper.

In terms of chronology, Flying is not the first song credited to all four. Technically it would have to be a 12-bar blues instrumental recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions. But this remained unreleased until 1996 on the Anthology 2 compilation. In a sense, Flying is the first Beatle track in which all four were credited as writers to be released.

By the way, one should get the Sgt Pepper in BOTH MONO AND STEREO. The mixes are totally different.

I personally don't believe that Magical Mystery tour is a continuation of Pepper. It is their first project after the death of Brian Espstein. It is more of a project to hold the band together as Epstein's death really affected the band so badly. John thought of disbanding the Beatles after Epstein. George and Ringo was in a state of confusion. It was only Paul who kept it so together. The only thing MMT links with Pepper is that Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were recorded on the Pepper sessions and released in MMT as album cuts in the American album of MMT. MMT was never released in UK in LP format until 1976.

For the record Pepper and MMT were the creations of Paul McCartney. It was their response to the psychedelic era that ironically became a template for other psychedelic albums to be made in the future.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:21:31 PM by burnsbhm »
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
It would have to be Dig It - which is essentially a jam session with words thrown in. Maggie Mae I think is a traditional British folk tune which the arrangement is credited to the four. Plus OPD means Ontario Police District on Paul's police uniform in Pepper.

In terms of chronology, Flying is not the first song credited to all four. Technically it would have to be a 12-bar blues instrumental recorded during the Rubber Soul sessions. But this remained unreleased until 1996 on the Anthology 2 compilation. In a sense, Flying is the first Beatle track in which all four were credited as writers to be released.

By the way, one should get the Sgt Pepper in BOTH MONO AND STEREO. The mixes are totally different.

I personally don't believe that Magical Mystery tour is a continuation of Pepper. It is their first project after the death of Brian Espstein. It is more of a project to hold the band together as Epstein's death really affected the band so badly. John thought of disbanding the Beatles after Epstein. George and Ringo was in a state of confusion. It was only Paul who kept it so together. The only thing MMT links with Pepper is that Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were recorded on the Pepper sessions and released in MMT as album cuts in the American album of MMT. MMT was never released in UK in LP format until 1976.

For the record Pepper and MMT were the creations of Paul McCartney. It was their response to the psychedelic era that ironically became a template for other psychedelic albums to be made in the future.

I envy your memory bro. I forgot there was this blues jam instrumental..thanks a lot

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:22 AM »

On quitting Beatles. He was the first one to manifest it. He was advised by Paul not to go public about it. But it was Paul who actually went first. John was upset. He should have gone public first.

:-) :-) :-)

[/quote]

Yes John Believes he should be the one to announce the Beatles breakup because he was the one who formed the Beatles. The announcement by Paul made John more mad because it didn't take too long, Paul's first solo album was released.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:54:44 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »

everyone should admire Paul for his positive attitude, he's workaholic, but he's efforts were not so appreciated by his band mates in Let it be for reasons already mentioned.

Offline audio deft

« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:04 AM »
everyone should admire Paul for his positive attitude, he's workaholic, but he's efforts were not so appreciated by his band mates in Let it be for reasons already mentioned.

each of them, most probably, had developed huge egos in the latter part of the band's career. no one wanted to take $hit from one another anymore..... i guess it was really just a matter of time.....but yeah, i think paul was very prolific.... and in fact, what amazes me more about the beatles is the amount of absolutely great music they were able to make in such a short of period of time. i could'nt think of any other band like that. led zep would probably be the closest in that department. just my opinion.........

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »
each of them, most probably, had developed huge egos in the latter part of the band's career. no one wanted to take $hit from one another anymore..... i guess it was really just a matter of time.....but yeah, i think paul was very prolific.... and in fact, what amazes me more about the beatles is the amount of absolutely great music they were able to make in such a short of period of time. i could'nt think of any other band like that. led zep would probably be the closest in that department. just my opinion.........

.. and their music lives on, it transcends from generation to generation.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
The Dynasouls used to be called The Dynasonics in the '60s. They changed their name in the '70s. The line up of The Dynasouls upon release of their first album:
1. Vick Generoso - Guitars, vocals
2. Tony Generoso - Bass, vocals
3. Walter Pennington - Drums, vocals
4. Dan Villarosa - Keyboards
5. Buoy Catuncan - Lead Guitar
6. Jojo Domingo - Bass

Their debut album which I am holding as I type this is basically Tagalized lyrics of Beatles classics. The cover is fascinating, one has to see to believe it!

I need you, No reply, are my favorites from this group. are they still playing today? baka pwede makijam  :wink: while my guitar gently weeps at let it be

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
Abbey Road (AR) is my ultimate pop album. Wala ka nang hahanapin pa. Cover pa lang classic na. Of course some will dispute to this. But AR is not an ordinary pop album. I say better than Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, MJ's Thriller or Carole King's Tapestry. AR contributed to shape up pop music. It set the standards. 

Sgt Pepper's may have accomplished this. But to me, the album marked a time when there was only then a thin that separarted pop and rock music. This is why Pet Sounds would catch up as one best albums of the rock period.

Paul was applauded for this. Many thought that it was his whole idea that AR came about. Probably, because John was no longer interested in making albums but to put up with a hit song; hence, 'Come Together.' George just developed. It was an end and a beginning of something. Even as they were about to disband, Beatles managed to put up a happy album that defines a period in music after the Sgt Pepper's or the psychedelic era.

It was a nice farewell from the band who gave their nerves to make good music.

Offline Mocho

« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »

Ang galing nyang gumawa ng melody, I have an audio na parang practice lang during breaks nila sa studio wherein paul was singing "just another day" (which was release later sa Wings band) na hindi pa kumpleto, pero ok na yung main melody.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #263 on: March 30, 2010, 05:07:06 AM »
Paul is still amazing as he was before. I viewed his Space between US concert again last night, their music really transcends from generation to generation! You can see a 1 or 2 year old baby brought by his parents just to watch Paul live. Aged persons too 70 to 80s! ..and.. the show was aired into the outerspace! using NASA equipment of course!, you can see the astronauts watching Paul. First of a kind :wink:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:02:38 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #264 on: March 30, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »
The most amazing thing about this band is that no two albums are totally alike. And the mind blowing speed of development. No band has ever changed their sound in 5 years and everyone can hear the development on records. Please Please Me and Sgt. Pepper's are just under 5 years apart and YET there is almost no similarity between the two.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #265 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »

Across the universe..

Bird noises were dubbed in to this version to create a nature theme.This song is often cited as an example of tensions between Lennon and McCartney over treatment of each other's songs. When The Beatles went to record it in February of 1968, both Lennon and McCartney decided they wanted falsetto harmonies on the song. No matter what he did, John said he was sounding out of tune, so Paul went outside and grabbed two "Apple Scruffs" named Lizzie Bravo and Gaylene Pease to add the background harmonies.

John is quoted again about that, saying, "the original track was a real piece of s--t. I was singing out of tune, and instead of getting a decent choir, we got fans from outside. They came in and were singing all off-key. Nobody was interested in doing the tune originally." In another interview, he said, "The Beatles didn't make a good record of it. I think subconsciously sometimes we - I say 'we' although I think Paul did it more than the rest of us - Paul would, sort of subconsciously, try and destroy a great song... meaning we'd play experimental games with my great pieces, like 'Strawberry Fields,' which I always thought was badly recorded."

The two young women Paul grabbed off the street to sing backup appear on the World Wildlife recording of the song, but not on the version on Let It Be.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Ang galing nyang gumawa ng melody, I have an audio na parang practice lang during breaks nila sa studio wherein paul was singing "just another day" (which was release later sa Wings band) na hindi pa kumpleto, pero ok na yung main melody.

it's not just the melody that I like on this song.. the bass lines as well

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:04 AM »

On quitting Beatles. He was the first one to manifest it. He was advised by Paul not to go public about it. But it was Paul who actually went first. John was upset. He should have gone public first.

By the time ABBEY ROAD was released on Sept. 26th, the Beatles fellowship had effectively ended. On Sept. 13th, John Lennon and Yoko Ono performed at the Toronto Rock in Roll Revival, with a makeshift group that included Eric Clapton, and the experience convinced Lennon that he could no longer withstand the confines of his old band. A week later, during a meeting at Apple- with Klein, the Beatles and Ono in attendance- Mc Cartney tried once more to persuade his bandmates to undertake and return to the stage. "Lets get back to square one and remember what we're all about" he told them. Lennon responded " I think you're daft. I wasn't going to tell you, but I'm breaking the group up. It feels good. It feels like a divorce"

The people in the room didn't know whether to be shocked or take the claim as another show of bravado on Lennon's part. Nobody including Ono- this would happen on this day. "Our jaws dropped" Mc Cartney said. For once, Mc Cartney and Klein were in agreement. They persuaded Lennon to hold off any announcement for at least a couple of months.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:57:10 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »

Klein had just finished a new deal that won the Beatles substantial increase in royalty rates, he didn't want to spook EMI with the knowledge that the band was breaking up. Plus, both Klein & Mc Cartney believe that that Lennon might reconsider; it wasn't uncommon for him to swing between extremes. But Ono knew better, and she was as unhappy as anybody else in that moment. "We went off that car" she later told Philip Norman, And he turned to me and said" That's it with the Beatles. From now on it's just you- OK?" I said " My God those three guys were the ones entertaining him for so long. Now I have to be the one to take the load."

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #269 on: April 04, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »

Ken C. Pohlmann is a professor emiritus at The University of Miami in Coral Gables and author of numerous articles and books, including Principles of Digital Audio and Master Handbook of Acoustics. HIs pick for best sounding Beatles song is " Tomorrow never knows"- not so much of sound quality per se, but because a dozen radical studio experiments were tried on that song. and the boys nailed everyone of them. Truly innovative

Sound Vision Magazine Nov. 2009 issue

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2010, 05:03:46 AM »
Few of the many reasons why I love John are because of his:

1. Song writing genius, clever lyrics and nice melody on

a. In my life
b. Julia
c. All you need is love
d. Real love
e. Imagine
f. Because

2.extraordinary vocals on (The only Beatle who is listed as one of the top vocalist of all time, I read it from a magazine)

a. It's only love
b. Sexy Saddie
c. A day in a life
d. Happiness is a warm gun
e. Mother
f. Watching the wheels
g. Stand by me

3. Guitar works on

a. All my loving
b. Julia
c. Get back
d. The end ( Paul, George & John trading licks )
e. The Ballad of John & Yoko

4. Humor & antics

a. in interviews
b. in performance, particularly at the Shea Stadium when he used his elbow in that vox organ for the I'm down number

5. Unselfishness & love.

a. He took a leave of absence from the music scene to be a father to Sean to redeem his failure to Julian.

b. He enlisted a member in the early years of the Beatles despite being mediocre in skills. Was it Stu who turns his back from the audience to hide his poor skills? But there was also a humor  :wink:that this guy was hired because he's the only one among them whos got a Radio Phono which they use to listen for songs that they later cover. Not sure if its Stu but difinitely not Pete Best

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:51:32 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:41 AM »
The most amazing thing about this band is that no two albums are totally alike. And the mind blowing speed of development. No band has ever changed their sound in 5 years and everyone can hear the development on records. Please Please Me and Sgt. Pepper's are just under 5 years apart and YET there is almost no similarity between the two.

Truly amazing bro.. much more if we compare Please please me & Abbey Road, mind blowing speed of development as you said

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:32 AM »
As of late, the only albums by the Beatles that I don't have are Live at the Star Club, Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers, Yellow Submarine expanded edition and yung Decca Audition nga. I really hope I can convert all my Beatles cds to vinyl as the Beatles always sound awesome on vinyl than cd.

Today, original pressings of Beatles albums cost an arm and a leg.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:30:53 AM by burnsbhm »

Offline Mocho

« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »
As of late, the only album by the Beatles that I don't have it Live at the Star Club, Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers, Yellow Submarine expanded edition and yung Decca Audition nga. I really hope I can convert all my Beatles cds to vinyl as the Beatles always sound awesome on vinyl than cd.

Today, original pressings of Beatles albums cost an arm and a leg.

(Sorry, I'm not promoting piracy) but I have downloaded some Beatles albums that were directly ripped off from original vinyls, the guy was really nice enough to convert all his vinyls to mp3 and share it through torrent. Sound quality, amazing... :-o

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:55 AM »

@ burnsbhm & mocho

you guys must be audiophiles :-) silly questions lang po ha mga kapatid..malaki po ba talaga pagkakaiba sa quality ng vinyl over tapes(chrome or metal) and cds?

how about the hisss thing that we usually hear from vinyl & even tapes? thanks

My friend way back then has a copy of the Star Club album which I also copied before and a cd copy(mp3 format) for the Tony Sheridan.. the latter is way far better in sound quality.