hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 359957 times)

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2010, 11:13:30 PM »
Sa tingin ko naman, not necessarily "more creative" si John kaysa kay Paul. I think, mas eccentric lang. LOL

Actually, I see Paul as more fitting for the title "King of Pop." Characteristic kasi ng pop ang catchy, infectious melodies e. Parang kahit gaano ka-cheesy ang lyrics ni Paul, kapag nilagyan niya ng melodies niya, pakshet, ANG HUSAY. Case in point: SILLY LOVE SONGS. At ang basslines sa kantang ito, mismo!

If I am not mistaken, Lennon's Help was originally meant to be slow. His Revolution came out in the White Album as slow. But Paul insisted to apply a faster tempo for these songs. At swak nga talaga ang mabilis. For me, of course.

Still, I will always be a Lennon fan. And George next.  :lol:

kaya ba merong Revolution 1, Revolution bro?, at Revolution 9 pa(too weird)..

By the way it was John's idea for George to play dirty guitar riff in Revolution song. For me mas gusto ko ang Revolution 1 (Slow version) dahil sa bass at backing vocals.

Kaninong idea naman kaya ang Revolution 9?

SUperb nga ang bass lines ng Silly Love Songs, can't forget the hours I spent to rehearse it before (with vocals). Pinaganda pa to lalo sa Give My Regards To Broad Street a
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:18:19 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline Mocho

« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
Kay Dr. Ebbetts ba yan?  :mrgreen:

Don't know, stumbled upon it accidentally.

kaya ba merong Revolution 1, Revolution bro?, at Revolution 9 pa(too weird)..

By the way it was John's idea for George to play dirty guitar riff in Revolution song. For me mas gusto ko ang Revolution 1 (Slow version) dahil sa bass at backing vocals.

Kaninong idea naman kaya ang Revolution 9?

SUperb nga ang bass lines ng Silly Love Songs, can't forget the hours I spent to rehearse it before (with vocals). Pinaganda pa to lalo sa Give My Regards To Broad Street a

Parang story yata ng "Silly Love Songs" ay yung comment ni John tungkol sa mga compositions ni Paul na panay "silly love songs", na ginawan naman niya ng kanta.  :-D

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2010, 11:42:08 PM »
Re: The End

In his interview with the RStone Mag after the Beatles 'break up', John said that the order of guitar solo on the said song was Paul, George and him. He even complained that his could hardly be heard. If you are familiar with the Beatles sound, it is not so hard to identify who's who on that song. George's part was most prominent as evidenced by his (more) lyrical solo and sound. This is not to underestimate the other two guys, as they themselves were multi-musicians. Paul could have been a better lead guitarist had he been given the chance. Or, George and John could have been better bassist or a drummer. But, as John would put it, the deadlines made it hard for them to 'specialize'. Anyway, he was not interested in getting technical about his guitar playing. To him it's enough that he could play (even preferred himself than George). He would not improve, he admitted.

Each time Paul plays live with this song, he always play the licks he did on the classic The End song of Abbey Road Album. So its easy to identify it much more because he takes the opening portion of the guitar duel

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2010, 07:45:04 AM »
Few of the many reasons too why I love Paul

1. He's the most good looking of the four. (though there rumors that Pete Best was fired not just because   of his his drumming but because of his looks)

2. For his sweet voice on:

a. PS I love you
   b. I'll follow the sun
   c. Golden slumbers
   d. So Bad
   e. Beware My Love
   f. Oh Darling
   g. Here Today
   h. Let it be

3. For Bass Lines

a. You won't see me
   b. Penny Lane
   c. Hey Bulldog
   d. Nowhere man
   e. Another day
   f. Silly love songs
   g. So bad
   h. Paperback writer
   i. And your bird can sing

4. For writing great songs

a. Yesterday ( All time most popular song)
   b. Golden slumbers/ Carry that weight/ The end
   c. Let it be
   d. Band on the run
   e. Only love remains
   f. Wanderlust
   g. With a little luck

5. For playing other instruments

a. Blackbird
   b. Taxman ( He played lead guitar)
   c. The Ballad of John & Yoko ( Drums)
   d. I will (actually, what was released was the version where he used his voice to  mimic the bass lines)
   e. The end (He traded licks with George & John)

By the way Paul's favourite instrument would have been a trumpet but he disregarded it because he cannot(in fact not only him can't) sing during live performances

6. For his love to the Beatles, the best band in the world ever

After Johns emphatic decision to disband the group, he became a drunkard, never have eaten well & sometimes even forgot to groom well. The pain was too much for him to bear but Linda gave him comfort and persuaded him to move on.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:48:50 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline justine3563

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
pinatawad na ng simbahang katoliko yung sinabi ni john lenon na mas sikat pa sila kay jesus,tama ba?

anyway,favorite ko yung "i will"..astig! :-)
i love music...more than food!

Offline audio deft

« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
pinatawad na ng simbahang katoliko yung sinabi ni john lenon na mas sikat pa sila kay jesus,tama ba?

anyway,favorite ko yung "i will"..astig! :-)

yes, napatawad na sya. mga 2 years ago ata. vatican pa mismo. pwede mo din ito ma google

Offline justine3563

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
yes, napatawad na sya. mga 2 years ago ata. vatican pa mismo. pwede mo din ito ma google

2 years ago na pala yun hehe..npanood ko lang sa news today..
i love music...more than food!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2010, 08:51:28 PM »
2 years ago na pala yun hehe..npanood ko lang sa news today..

Ngayon ko din lang napanood e. Good!

"I will " is really a nice song, melody, lyrics, guitar riffs.. everything

welcome to the club bro :wink:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:39:23 AM by slowhandpal »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »

Did John ever recant or asked forgiveness or issued public apology for his offensive statement? or he just felt sorry for it?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
Did John ever recant or asked forgiveness or issued public apology for his offensive statement? or he just felt sorry for it?

I am not really sure if he asked forgiveness but he publicly admitted that what he said was a tad off the cuff.
He was interviewed in England shortly before the Beatles took a 3 month break in 1966 saying that he never meant to say anything blasphemous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ6NL3iNNMs

Really what John was trying to say is that the people of that day are already worshipping the Beatles more than they do God. People are not very good at capturing British Irony humour and so was this backlash.

You know the people of the south, they take everything too literally and don't know how to read between the lines.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:26:57 PM by burnsbhm »
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline audio deft

« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »
according sa wikipedia, regarding the controversy............ "Lennon said he had only been referring to how other people saw The Beatles, but "if you want me to apologise, if that will make you happy, then okay, I'm sorry.""

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »

well, perhaps John was just misquoted. Out of context as it always happens every now and then to everyone.

Offline audio deft

« Reply #312 on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:31 PM »
Few of the many reasons too why I love Paul

1. He's the most good looking of the four. (though there rumors that Pete Best was fired not just because   of his his drumming but because of his looks)

2. For his sweet voice on:

a. PS I love you
   b. I'll follow the sun
   c. Golden slumbers
   d. So Bad
   e. Beware My Love
   f. Oh Darling
   g. Here Today
   h. Let it be

3. For Bass Lines

a. You won't see me
   b. Penny Lane
   c. Hey Bulldog
   d. Nowhere man
   e. Another day
   f. Silly love songs
   g. So bad
   h. Paperback writer
   i. And your bird can sing

4. For writing great songs

a. Yesterday ( All time most popular song)
   b. Golden slumbers/ Carry that weight/ The end
   c. Let it be
   d. Band on the run
   e. Only love remains
   f. Wanderlust
   g. With a little luck

5. For playing other instruments

a. Blackbird
   b. Taxman ( He played lead guitar)
   c. The Ballad of John & Yoko ( Drums)
   d. I will (actually, what was released was the version where he used his voice to  mimic the bass lines)
   e. The end (He traded licks with George & John)

By the way Paul's favourite instrument would have been a trumpet but he disregarded it because he cannot(in fact not only him can't) sing during live performances

6. For his love to the Beatles, the best band in the world ever

After Johns emphatic decision to disband the group, he became a drunkard, never have eaten well & sometimes even forgot to groom well. The pain was too much for him to bear but Linda gave him comfort and persuaded him to move on.

add ko na din po bassline ni paul sa "dear prudence". speaking of bass playing, eto po uli from wikipedia....."Spector claimed that he was forced into remixing "The Long and Winding Road", because of the poor quality of Lennon's bass playing. While the poor quality of the bass playing has been noted by other sources (in his book Revolution in the Head, a track-by-track analysis of the Beatles' records, Ian MacDonald described it as "atrocious" to the point of sabotage[8]), its basis as the full-scale re-working of the track by Spector has been questioned. McCartney has argued that Spector could have merely edited out the relevant mistakes and rerecorded them, a technique Spector used elsewhere on the album. Specifically, it would have been a simple matter of having McCartney overdub a more appropriate bass part to replace the Lennon bass line that was judged to be inadequate."

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #313 on: April 14, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »
according sa wikipedia, regarding the controversy............ "Lennon said he had only been referring to how other people saw The Beatles, but "if you want me to apologise, if that will make you happy, then okay, I'm sorry.""

Precisely. We know John made a lot of enemies and critics. But if there is one thing he does not do is to lambast each other's faith.

That quote about we are more popular than Jesus is SOOOO out of context.

When he said that Christianity will shrink and go, he don't mean literally. What he was saying is that people are too much in to Beatles they are now being worshipped like God and John definitely doesn't agree with that idea.

Yes he is too opinionated. But he knows how to respect!
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #314 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:11 PM »

add ko na din po bassline ni paul sa "dear prudence". speaking of bass playing, eto po uli from wikipedia....."Spector claimed that he was forced into remixing "The Long and Winding Road", because of the poor quality of Lennon's bass playing. While the poor quality of the bass playing has been noted by other sources (in his book Revolution in the Head, a track-by-track analysis of the Beatles' records, Ian MacDonald described it as "atrocious" to the point of sabotage[8]), its basis as the full-scale re-working of the track by Spector has been questioned. McCartney has argued that Spector could have merely edited out the relevant mistakes and rerecorded them, a technique Spector used elsewhere on the album. Specifically, it would have been a simple matter of having McCartney overdub a more appropriate bass part to replace the Lennon bass line that was judged to be inadequate."

yeah, ganda nga din Bass lines ng dear Prudence, pati guitar intro. Si John pala nag bass sa The Long & Winding Road? I can hardly hear it kasi e.. Sa Hey Jude sino kaya? was it John or George who played bass?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:22:45 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #315 on: April 15, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
yeah, ganda nga din Bass lines ng dear Prudence, pati guitar intro. Si John pala nag bass sa The Long & Winding Road? I can hardly hear it kasi e.. Sa Hey Jude sino kaya? was it John or George who played bass?

Doon sa Let It Be documentary, si John 'yung nagbe-bass sa Long and Winding. Tapos doon naman sa Hey Jude promo video, si George 'yung nagbe-bass. Fender six-stringed bass yata 'yun.
Ows? Di nga?

Offline Mocho

« Reply #316 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »
John is the most vocal & the joker of the group, pag annoyed siya sasabihin niya in your face. In some of their concert(s) he'll make faces like that of a "retarded child", because sa ibang concerts nila may mga parents na dinadala yung mga "special" child(s) nila na parang mga faith healers ang beatles which annoyed John to the point na nagmo-mongoloid talk siya sa stage.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
Doon sa Let It Be documentary, si John 'yung nagbe-bass sa Long and Winding. Tapos doon naman sa Hey Jude promo video, si George 'yung nagbe-bass. Fender six-stringed bass yata 'yun.

Yes its a Fender 6 string bass but it has thinner strings than usual. It's intended for guitarists who likes to play bass I once read

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #318 on: April 15, 2010, 11:37:52 PM »
Yes its a Fender 6 string bass but it has thinner strings than usual. It's intended for guitarists who likes to play bass I once read

Fender Bass VI - it is more of a baritone guitar only it is tuned standard an octave lower like a bass guitar.

I like this instrument for a lot of uses. Not only as an alternate bass for guitarist but also for those dark textures. Perfect example here are records of The Cure and occasionally New Order.

Back to the Beatles, I am still hoping that EMI will reissue the Beatles Remastered on vinyl! The rumours are getting hotter by the day.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

John’s "Julia," which appeared on the Beatles White Album  and a song dedicated to his late mother Julia, and wife Yoko, was the only Beatle song wherein he played alone, without assistance from the rest of the group.

Paul McCartney had done the same many times. In "Yesterday," string instrumentalists helped him record what would be hailed as the most covered song of all time.

Offline audio deft

« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2010, 09:31:36 AM »
may nabasa akong magazine about dun sa recording nung white album, which by the way contained a lot of acoustic tracks, yep john recorded "julia" alone, and fingerpicking ata ginawa nya dun. though solo performance si john dun, paul was actually in the control booth. there was a point in the recording where john almost broke down, and paul was there giving john words of encouragement

Offline playamoth

• Netizen Level
« Reply #321 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
Loosing both their mothers at a very young age drew and John and Paul together.  It is their shared experience that bonded Lennon and McCartney emotionally more than anything else.  Their loss is our gain as they drown out their sorrows with the songs that they wrote. 
We have a songwriter in our midst who also lost his mom at a tender age in the person of Maestro Ryan Cayabyab.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #322 on: April 17, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Loosing both their mothers at a very young age drew and John and Paul together.  It is their shared experience that bonded Lennon and McCartney emotionally more than anything else.  Their loss is our gain as they drown out their sorrows with the songs that they wrote. 

We have a songwriter in our midst who also lost his mom at a tender age in the person of Maestro Ryan Cayabyab.

nice recall bro. I've heard from Ryan before in a TV interview that he grew up with his Auntie.

Yeah that one thing in common between John & Paul. welcome to the club bro :-)

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #323 on: April 17, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
Did you know that Bono is a big Beatles fan? It was actually Lennon whom he admired most. When he met Yoko, she said to him: "You are John's son."

Kurt Cobain was the same. He was strumming "Julia" (and playing other Beatles songs) before the unplugged session took place.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »
Did you know that Bono is a big Beatles fan? It was actually Lennon whom he admired most. When he met Yoko, she said to him: "You are John's son."

Kurt Cobain was the same. He was strumming "Julia" (and playing other Beatles songs) before the unplugged session took place.

There are a lot more, too many to mention in fact. It makes me wonder my youngest son even listen to the Beatles more than any artists on a daily basis.

Even Presidents bro.. Russian President watched Paul Mc Cartney in Red Square with body guards around his presence was felt by the band and he kept signalling the audience not to notice him too much but pay attention to Pauls band playing.