hulika

Author Topic: anything about the Beatles ...  (Read 360515 times)

Offline plasticsoul

Re: anything about the Beatles ...
« Reply #325 on: April 18, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »
Based on Mojo Special Ed. of Icons (The Greatest Music Stars of All Time):

1. John Lennon, who ranked #1, was influenced by Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Bob Dylan.

2. Paul M., ranked #14, influence: Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly;

3. George Harrison, ranked #25, influence: didn't say. But obviously, he liked Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, early rock n rollers and rockabilly;

4. Ringo Starr, ranked #91, influence: Buck Owens, Elvis Presley and Jerry Allison

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #326 on: April 18, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
Based on Mojo Special Ed. of Icons (The Greatest Music Stars of All Time):

1. John Lennon, who ranked #1, was influenced by Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry and Bob Dylan.

2. Paul M., ranked #14, influence: Ray Charles, Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly;

3. George Harrison, ranked #25, influence: didn't say. But obviously, he liked Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, early rock n rollers and rockabilly;

4. Ringo Starr, ranked #91, influence: Buck Owens, Elvis Presley and Jerry Allison

Galing a..

it's more than obvious why:

John covers rock in roll music, johnny be good from Chuck Berry & Hound dog by Elvis.
Paul covers Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly
George covers Everybodys trying to be my baby and may I add he's heavily influenced by Chet Atkins
Ringo had a duet with Buck Owens on Act Naturally :wink:

Offline kevinyu[1]

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #327 on: April 18, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »
the greatest band that ever existed in this world basta pagkaka-alam ko si paul ang mas bumenta nung nag solo na hehehehehe

11 solos, meron ba ang mga papogi at pacute na banda niyan?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #328 on: April 18, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
Even Presidents bro.. Russian President watched Paul Mc Cartney in Red Square with body guards around his presence was felt by the band and he kept signalling the audience not to notice him too much but pay attention to Pauls band playing.

Vladimir Putin is a Beatles fan. Heck most of his cabinet are big Beatles fans. In fact they learned to speak English with the help of listening to Beatles records.

Music did a lot more to give awareness to people about the world's problems rather than direct political action which leads to more political problems.

Although Martin Luther King and Malcolm X fought for the rights of the African-Americans, Motown and Stax Records helped the whole world be aware of it.

The Beatles were no exceptions.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #329 on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
the greatest band that ever existed in this world basta pagkaka-alam ko si paul ang mas bumenta nung nag solo na hehehehehe

welcome to the club bro. its a very good point but things maybe different if John didn't die early, not to mention he left the Music Industry for more or less five years to take care of Sean.

Too bad when he came back he was shot by David Mark Chapman few hours after getting his autograph. A lot of gems on that Double fantasy album ie.. watching the wheels, I'm losing you, woman, (Just like)starting over. Alas! when he was starting over, a bullet ended his life. I cried deep inside that day because it ended everyone's dream that they'll reunite someday.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #330 on: April 18, 2010, 08:11:16 PM »
Vladimir Putin is a Beatles fan. Heck most of his cabinet are big Beatles fans. In fact they learned to speak English with the help of listening to Beatles records.

Music did a lot more to give awareness to people about the world's problems rather than direct political action which leads to more political problems.

Although Martin Luther King and Malcolm X fought for the rights of the African-Americans, Motown and Stax Records helped the whole world be aware of it.

The Beatles were no exceptions.

Thanks bro. Yes it's Pres. Putin! jeje minsan talaga may amnesia na ako :|
Well said. Music is even a therapy.. It sets any ones mode for the day.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #331 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:37 AM »

indeed!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:39 AM »

anyone here who knows the name of the guy whom the Beatles allegedly recruited to replace Paul Mc Cartney when Paul died allegedly in a car accident? I forgot the name e

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
anyone here who knows the name of the guy whom the Beatles allegedly recruited to replace Paul Mc Cartney when Paul died allegedly in a car accident? I forgot the name e

William Campbell
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #334 on: April 21, 2010, 05:00:06 AM »
Thanks bro. it's William Shears Campbell

The ‘clues’ were used to suggest the story for how McCartney had supposedly died: three years previously, on 9 November 1966, McCartney, while working on the Sgt. Pepper album, stormed out of a recording session after an argument with his fellow band-members and drove off in his car which he subsequently crashed, and died.The story was pieced together from the lyrics of multiple Beatles songs:

"He didn't notice that the lights had changed" ("A Day in the Life"), he crashed into a lamp-post (a car crash sound is heard in "Revolution 9") and was pronounced dead on a "Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock as the day begins" ("She's Leaving Home"). News of the tragedy was withheld: "Wednesday morning papers didn't come" ("Lady Madonna") and a funeral was held (inferred from the Abbey Road album cover).

According to the story, McCartney's place in The Beatles (as well as his private and social life) had then been taken by ‘William Shears Campbell’ (or someone with a name similar to the "Billy Shears" character in the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club album), who had won a McCartney look-alike contest.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #335 on: April 22, 2010, 05:56:56 AM »

funny but my son believes this Paul is dead theory. He just came across on this story & he wanted me to believe it. :-D sa Beatles fans jan meron bang naniniwala?

Offline kevinyu[1]

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #336 on: April 22, 2010, 08:57:23 PM »
hehe di po yun totoo, kasi kung "namatay" talaga si paul e bakit ganon naman po kagaling mag sulat ng mga songs, hehehe

11 solos, meron ba ang mga papogi at pacute na banda niyan?

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2010, 11:32:01 AM »
Found this interesting piece of interview of Graham Coxon, one of my guitar gods. All this time, akala ko hindi siya Beatle fan. lol

"I do like jazzy chords and 7ths," he says. "And we wanted to use chords 'properly' if you know what I mean. The Beatles always used chords really nicely: they'd use 7ths correctly. There's such a lot you can tug out of a melody if the chord underneath is right, I think. I'll mess around with tunings; DADGAD, I'll dabble with. And I made a whole album [The Golden D] just because I discovered drop D."

"I got a Les Paul and Marshalls early on in Blur because I was playing things off [The Beatles'] Abbey Road all the time," he recalls. "The most beautiful, warm tone ever is when I Want You (She's So Heavy) goes into that slinky rhythm and there's a guitar solo/vocal line... it's one of my favourite bits of music ever - incredible, beautiful. I based my whole sound on that for years.
Ows? Di nga?

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2010, 12:57:41 PM »

Anyone here who know muich about Bas Muys? I think they're Bootleg but each time I listen to them, they sounded very much like the Beatles if indeed they're not.

@ ninejuicyjulius

Nice info. I was even too surprised to believe when Keith Moon (The Who) said he's favorite drummer is Ringo. :wink: They're just so amazing. They shaped the music of generations later

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #339 on: April 26, 2010, 09:58:01 PM »
Anyone here who know muich about Bas Muys? I think they're Bootleg but each time I listen to them, they sounded very much like the Beatles if indeed they're not.

@ ninejuicyjulius

Nice info. I was even too surprised to believe when Keith Moon (The Who) said he's favorite drummer is Ringo. :wink: They're just so amazing. They shaped the music of generations later

Bas Muys is a singer from The Netherlands. His voice sounds so uncannily like John Lennon. He recorded some albums in the 70s as a solo act (he once released an album that contains Beatles compositions not recorded by them - i.e. Bad To Me by Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas, A World Without Love by Peter & Gordon, etc..) and as the lead singer by the pop band Smyle (not to be confused with Smile - the band that came to be known as Queen in 1970).

In 1980, Jaap Eggermont, formerly of Golden Earring, heard a medley of Beatles tunes over an incessant disco drum beat. He also noticed that the medley has other songs preceding the Beatles tunes and heard Venus by Shocking Blue. He told his friend Willem Van Kooten to check the medley out and realized they did not give permission to the DJs who did the medley (Van Kooten owns the publushing and copyright to Venus). Realizing that it is a bootleg, they traced the origins of that Dub record and found out that it originated in Canada.

Because the medley is a hit in discos all around Holland, they decided to take matters into their own hands and do a legalized version of that same medley. Funny if you analyze now, they could have just sued the Canadian DJs and get away with a substantial amount - they did this all because of Venus. In all intents and purposes, Willem Van Kooten did a "bootleg of a bootleg". In order to make this a reality, he consulted again with Jaap Eggermont. Eggermont then contacted various session musicians in Holland to replicate the medley and make the contents sound as authentic as possible. To this he enlisted the following vocalist for the Beatles medley:

1. Paul McCartney - Hans Vermuelen
2. George Harrison - Okkie Huysdens
3. John Lennon - Bas Muys

It was released by CNR Records in Holland late 1980. And it was an instant smash. It was regarded as one of the first disco records to be a certified worldwide smash after the Disco Backlash in late 1979 (triggered by The Knack's My Sharona and the onslaught of New Wave).

Came 1981 Atlantic Records released the medley in the US in its truncated version (only the first quarter of the medley was issued on the 7" version - so it contains No Reply to You're Going To Lose That Girl). Because of legalities encountered by Atlantic Records, they were forced to title the medley after ALL THE SONGS CONTAINED IN IT. They then released it on their minor label Radio Records. The medley likewise became a smash therefore it owns the record of having the longest-titled number one single. The other parts of the medley was issued on another single but did not chart as well as the first one.

Now what am I talking about? This medley is so influential that it started a Medley Craze in the early 80s. Bands like the Beach Boys, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, The Dave Clark Five, The Rolling Stones were all given a medley of their own hits done by session musicians and tribute bands. Even the Beatles did a medley themselves - albeit through the splicing of their own recordings by EMI engineers. Even then USSR permitted the official release of this medley - the very first time the Russian masses heard the music of the Beatles without the watchful eye of the KGB. Until this time, Beatles records are only sold on the Black Market in USSR and the cost of an LP is worth 2months salary of a common Russian worker.

Even better, to capitalize on the craze this medley brought about, several 60s bands reunited to do shows and festivals - the revival craze was on! It was called revival in the 80s, retro in the 90s.

So really what is this? THE STARS ON 45 BEATLES MEDLEY!

The irony of this all is that since the phrase Stars On 45 was used only as a way to call this act, Jaap Eggermont forgot to copyright the phrase and therefore hundreds of bogus "stars on 45" medleys were issued everywhere in the 90s.

Sadly, the whole 15 medley has yet to be reissued on cd except by bootleggers.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #340 on: April 26, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »
Bas Muys is a singer from The Netherlands. His voice sounds so uncannily like John Lennon. He recorded some albums in the 70s as a solo act (he once released an album that contains Beatles compositions not recorded by them - i.e. Bad To Me by Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas, A World Without Love by Peter & Gordon, etc..) and as the lead singer by the pop band Smyle (not to be confused with Smile - the band that came to be known as Queen in 1970).

In 1980, Jaap Eggermont, formerly of Golden Earring, heard a medley of Beatles tunes over an incessant disco drum beat. He also noticed that the medley has other songs preceding the Beatles tunes and heard Venus by Shocking Blue. He told his friend Willem Van Kooten to check the medley out and realized they did not give permission to the DJs who did the medley (Van Kooten owns the publushing and copyright to Venus). Realizing that it is a bootleg, they traced the origins of that Dub record and found out that it originated in Canada.

Because the medley is a hit in discos all around Holland, they decided to take matters into their own hands and do a legalized version of that same medley. Funny if you analyze now, they could have just sued the Canadian DJs and get away with a substantial amount - they did this all because of Venus. In all intents and purposes, Willem Van Kooten did a "bootleg of a bootleg". In order to make this a reality, he consulted again with Jaap Eggermont. Eggermont then contacted various session musicians in Holland to replicate the medley and make the contents sound as authentic as possible. To this he enlisted the following vocalist for the Beatles medley:

It was released by CNR Records in Holland late 1980. And it was an instant smash. It was regarded as one of the first disco records to be a certified worldwide smash after the Disco Backlash in late 1979 (triggered by The Knack's My Sharona and the onslaught of New Wave).

Came 1981 Atlantic Records released the medley in the US in its truncated version (only the first quarter of the medley was issued on the 7" version - so it contains No Reply to You're Going To Lose That Girl). Because of legalities encountered by Atlantic Records, they were forced to title the medley after ALL THE SONGS CONTAINED IN IT. They then released it on their minor label Radio Records. The medley likewise became a smash therefore it owns the record of having the longest-titled number one single. The other parts of the medley was issued on another single but did not chart as well as the first one.

Now what am I talking about? This medley is so influential that it started a Medley Craze in the early 80s. Bands like the Beach Boys, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, The Dave Clark Five, The Rolling Stones were all given a medley of their own hits done by session musicians and tribute bands. Even the Beatles did a medley themselves - albeit through the splicing of their own recordings by EMI engineers. Even then USSR permitted the official release of this medley - the very first time the Russian masses heard the music of the Beatles without the watchful eye of the KGB. Until this time, Beatles records are only sold on the Black Market in USSR and the cost of an LP is worth 2months salary of a common Russian worker.

Even better, to capitalize on the craze this medley brought about, several 60s bands reunited to do shows and festivals - the revival craze was on! It was called revival in the 80s, retro in the 90s.

The irony of this all is that since the phrase Stars On 45 was used only as a way to call this act, Jaap Eggermont forgot to copyright the phrase and therefore hundreds of bogus "stars on 45" medleys were issued everywhere in the 90s.

I tipped my hat and want to sing praises to you Brian  :-) Galing mo bro :wink:

Songs I like from that Bas MUys Album are Nobody I know, From A window, Bad To Me, I'll keep you satisfied, Like dreamers do, I don't want to see you again jajaja wala kang itatapon don.

Kaya seguro pala si Pres Putin nanood talaga kay Paul sa Red Square!

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
I tipped my hat and want to sing praises to you Brian  :-) Galing mo bro :wink:

Songs I like from that Bas MUys Album are Nobody I know, From A window, Bad To Me, I'll keep you satisfied, Like dreamers do, I don't want to see you again jajaja wala kang itatapon don.

Kaya seguro pala si Pres Putin nanood talaga kay Paul sa Red Square!

Nobody I Know - Peter & Gordon
Bad To Me - Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas
I'll Keep You Satisfied - Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas
From A Window - Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas
Like Dreamers Do - The Applejacks
I Don't Want To See You Again - Peter & Gordon

It is interesting to note the Billy J. Kramer recordings of these tunes. Until very very recently, all Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas recordings are only released in mono. Until in the 90s, Ron Furmanek - one of the gurus in remixing and remastering 60s recordings discovered the multitracks missplaced in the EMI vault. Ron Furmanek then remixed and remastered the tapes and for the first time, the Billy J. Kramer recordings were heard in true stereo! This cd is already out of print so the ones you will see on the market are mono again.

The title of the cd is EMI Legends Rock 'n' Roll Seris - The Definitive Collection - Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas.

A very obvious error to the people who have an eagle eye though. This group was always called Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas and NOT Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas!

I am lucky to have the biggest hits of that group in true stereo on my mp3 player. They sound pretty good actually!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2010, 04:40:34 AM »

... was there an official released medley by The Beatles bro?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
... was there an official released medley by The Beatles bro?

Yes there was!

It's called the Beatles Movie Medley. It comprises of songs all taken from their movies. It was released as a single to accompany the compilation album released in 1982 - Reel Music. This compilation has something unique in store for hardcore Beatles fans:

* The first US release of the British stereo mix of "I Am The Walrus". Previous American releases of the song had the intro edited like the mono mix;
    * The official American debut of the songs "A Hard Day's Night" and "Ticket To Ride" in true stereo;
    * A unique stereo edit of "I Should Have Known Better", with the harmonica error in the intro fixed. This version never appeared on any other record.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »

who is Jesse mc Cartney bro? paul's son?

thanks Brian

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »
who is Jesse mc Cartney bro? paul's son?

thanks Brian

I'm afraid they are not related at all. Jesse McCartney is a New Yorker born to Ginger and Scot McCartney.

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:26 AM »
When I watched "Come Together", that part of Sean's, I noticed that he looked a bit like his father but sounded like his mom...:-)
at naka Gibson Hummingbird pa ata...bakit kaya di J160 gaya ni John. Mas gusto kaya niya tunog ng RStones kesa Beatles...

In Concert for George, Danny looked like his late father, but I thought he strummed his guitar in an awkward manner...yun bang guitar nya e 'rain song' ang brand'? mukha din malaki para sa built nya.

Si Zak Starkey, who recorded for Oasis' "Don't Believe the Truth"  and toured with them, e anak pala ni Ringo Starr. The former also plays drums for the Who.

Would you know why the Beatles shifted their amps from Vox to Fender? Or did they?

John and George only used to have Gibson J160, who do you think introduced them to Martin dreadnoughts?

When did the Beatles stop using their Ricks? or, when was the last time you saw them using that brand? esp. John and George.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #347 on: April 28, 2010, 05:29:30 PM »
When I watched "Come Together", that part of Sean's, I noticed that he looked a bit like his father but sounded like his mom...:-)
at naka Gibson Hummingbird pa ata...bakit kaya di J160 gaya ni John. Mas gusto kaya niya tunog ng RStones kesa Beatles...

In Concert for George, Danny looked like his late father, but I thought he strummed his guitar in an awkward manner...yun bang guitar nya e 'rain song' ang brand'? mukha din malaki para sa built nya.

Si Zak Starkey, who recorded for Oasis' "Don't Believe the Truth"  and toured with them, e anak pala ni Ringo Starr. The former also plays drums for the Who.

Would you know why the Beatles shifted their amps from Vox to Fender? Or did they?

John and George only used to have Gibson J160, who do you think introduced them to Martin dreadnoughts?

When did the Beatles stop using their Ricks? or, when was the last time you saw them using that brand? esp. John and George.

1. The endorsement of the Beatles using vox amplifiers were more of a business agreement between Brian Epstein and Reg Clark, a sales manager of one of Vox's retailers rather than the demand of the Beatles themselves. The agreement is as long as Brian Epstein is the band's manager, they would exclusivley use vox amplifiers everytime they make a public appearance. Although they were known to use the occasional Selmer amps on recordings. That's the reason almost every year Vox amps produce a new model that has higher wattage in order to compete with the screaming girls as they increase in number every year. Keep in mind the following: a) High powered P.A. Systems were not invented yet and therefore the only signal coming out of the low powered PA systems were vocals only, the amp has to do a lot of hardwork then not only producing tones but making sure that the amp projects the sound to the audience as loud as possible. b)Foldback monitors are not invented yet, it is therefore a constant struggle for the Beatles to hear themselves while performing. c) The Beatles were the first rock band to play football and baseball stadia. They invented "Arena Rock" hence the need for high powered guitar amps. When Epstein died, the Beatles were free to use any amps as they wish. Although VOX was still prominent in recordings, they use Fender amps not long after for TV appearances and recordings.
It has to be said that during the early 60s, Fender products are banned in the UK due to their economic situation. Almost all UK bands are lusting after Fender products. UK distribution for Fender only started in the mid-60s - Dallas Arbiter being the distributor. But by the time this happened, Epstein already have a deal with VOX (the deal was signed in early 1963).

2. John was the first one to use a Rickenbacker, a 1958 Capri325 which he bought in Hamburg, Germany in 1960. It was heavily modified in the succeeding years most obvious was the change from natural to black finish, next is the removal of the Kaufman Vibrola system to a Bigsby system for solidbody electric guitar. This Rickenbacker was retired shortly after the Beatles first US visit with their first Ed Sullivan show being one of its final appearances. This guitar was in semi retirement until 1972 when John had it overhauled. The report that it was stolen after the first US tour was not true. It was simply because that is was so worn by that time that he already finds it unreliable. What was stolen from him (and the only Beatle instrument that was ever stolen.) was the Gibson J160E. Although he bought another one of that soon after.

George was the next one to get a Rickenbacker. He bought one in Vermont, Illinois in September 1963 while the Beatles were in their very rare break - he, with his brother Peter, were visiting their older sister (Louise) who married an American and while the Beatles was still very much unknown anywhere in the US. The model he bought was a Jetglo425 (it is actually a 420 - models ending with a 5 means the guitar has a tremolo system, George's guitar has a stamping error in the Rickenbacker factory. It had no tremolo but was still given a 425 model name). It never became his main guitar but used it on many occasions most commonly on TV appearances. It was on February 8, 1964 that Rickenbacker gave its greatest contribution to rock history - all the time George was suffering from a FLU! While the other Beatles were having a pictorial at the Central Park in New York, George was talking to some people at Rickenbacker about a new instrument they just designed and to be given to George as a free gift. George got this guitar shortly after the Ed Sullivan Show - the now legendary Rickenbacker 360/12. The sound of this instrument became so influential that a genre was born out of this sound - Folk Rock! Somewhere in L.A., a folk musician who was just beginning to play rock saw the first Beatles movie - A Hard Day's Night - and noticed George Harrison's Rickanbacker 360/12 in one of the scenes. He was so knocked out by the sound, he bought one the following day and folk rock was born. This person was Roger McGuinn of The Byrds.

Paul McCartney's first personal encounter with the Rickenbacker came on their second US tour also in 1964. When they were playing their first gig in the Hollywood Bowl. Rickenbacker presented him with the 4001 bass. Unfortunately Paul refused the instrument for the following reasons: a) Rickenbacker does not know that Paul was a lefty and therefore presented him a right handed bass. b) The Hofner violin bass (Paul actually had two of it, one has a logo that is written vertically on the headstock that he sold for almost a pauper's price the day Apple Corps went broke in 1969. The other one with the horizontal logo is still on active use by Paul) is so lightweight Paul cannot imagine playing the very heavy Rick. and (this is the clincher!) c) Rickenbacker was asking Paul for a nominal fee (reportedly on 25% of the usual retail price) - but Paul wanted it for free! This came to fruition a year later, also on their Hollywood Bowl concert. It was first used on the song "Think For Yourself" on Rubber Soul and then again on "Paperback Writer" and "Rain". It was also used extensively on their 1967-1968 recording sessions.

If analyzing from these facts, we can say John Lennon stopped using Rickenbacker after the first US tour, George stopped using them after their last concert and Paul continued to use Rickenbacker well after the Beatles. Paul's main bass during Wings era was the Rickenbacker although still using the Hofner occasionally.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:33:29 PM by burnsbhm »

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #348 on: April 29, 2010, 04:44:03 AM »
1. The endorsement of the Beatles using vox amplifiers were more of a business agreement between Brian Epstein and Reg Clark, a sales manager of one of Vox's retailers rather than the demand of the Beatles themselves. The agreement is as long as Brian Epstein is the band's manager, they would exclusivley use vox amplifiers everytime they make a public appearance. Although they were known to use the occasional Selmer amps on recordings. That's the reason almost every year Vox amps produce a new model that has higher wattage in order to compete with the screaming girls as they increase in number every year. Keep in mind the following: a) High powered P.A. Systems were not invented yet and therefore the only signal coming out of the low powered PA systems were vocals only, the amp has to do a lot of hardwork then not only producing tones but making sure that the amp projects the sound to the audience as loud as possible. b)Foldback monitors are not invented yet, it is therefore a constant struggle for the Beatles to hear themselves while performing. c) The Beatles were the first rock band to play football and baseball stadia. They invented "Arena Rock" hence the need for high powered guitar amps. When Epstein died, the Beatles were free to use any amps as they wish. Although VOX was still prominent in recordings, they use Fender amps not long after for TV appearances and recordings.
It has to be said that during the early 60s, Fender products are banned in the UK due to their economic situation. Almost all UK bands are lusting after Fender products. UK distribution for Fender only started in the mid-60s - Dallas Arbiter being the distributor. But by the time this happened, Epstein already have a deal with VOX (the deal was signed in early 1963).

2. John was the first one to use a Rickenbacker, a 1958 Capri325 which he bought in Hamburg, Germany in 1960. It was heavily modified in the succeeding years most obvious was the change from natural to black finish, next is the removal of the Kaufman Vibrola system to a Bigsby system for solidbody electric guitar. This Rickenbacker was retired shortly after the Beatles first US visit with their first Ed Sullivan show being one of its final appearances. This guitar was in semi retirement until 1972 when John had it overhauled. The report that it was stolen after the first US tour was not true. It was simply because that is was so worn by that time that he already finds it unreliable. What was stolen from him (and the only Beatle instrument that was ever stolen.) was the Gibson J160E. Although he bought another one of that soon after.

George was the next one to get a Rickenbacker. He bought one in Vermont, Illinois in September 1963 while the Beatles were in their very rare break - he, with his brother Peter, were visiting their older sister (Louise) who married an American and while the Beatles was still very much unknown anywhere in the US. The model he bought was a Jetglo425 (it is actually a 420 - models ending with a 5 means the guitar has a tremolo system, George's guitar has a stamping error in the Rickenbacker factory. It had no tremolo but was still given a 425 model name). It never became his main guitar but used it on many occasions most commonly on TV appearances. It was on February 8, 1964 that Rickenbacker gave its greatest contribution to rock history - all the time George was suffering from a FLU! While the other Beatles were having a pictorial at the Central Park in New York, George was talking to some people at Rickenbacker about a new instrument they just designed and to be given to George as a free gift. George got this guitar shortly after the Ed Sullivan Show - the now legendary Rickenbacker 360/12. The sound of this instrument became so influential that a genre was born out of this sound - Folk Rock! Somewhere in L.A., a folk musician who was just beginning to play rock saw the first Beatles movie - A Hard Day's Night - and noticed George Harrison's Rickanbacker 360/12 in one of the scenes. He was so knocked out by the sound, he bought one the following day and folk rock was born. This person was Roger McGuinn of The Byrds.

Paul McCartney's first personal encounter with the Rickenbacker came on their second US tour also in 1964. When they were playing their first gig in the Hollywood Bowl. Rickenbacker presented him with the 4001 bass. Unfortunately Paul refused the instrument for the following reasons: a) Rickenbacker does not know that Paul was a lefty and therefore presented him a right handed bass. b) The Hofner violin bass (Paul actually had two of it, one has a logo that is written vertically on the headstock that he sold for almost a pauper's price the day Apple Corps went broke in 1969. The other one with the horizontal logo is still on active use by Paul) is so lightweight Paul cannot imagine playing the very heavy Rick. and (this is the clincher!) c) Rickenbacker was asking Paul for a nominal fee (reportedly on 25% of the usual retail price) - but Paul wanted it for free! This came to fruition a year later, also on their Hollywood Bowl concert. It was first used on the song "Think For Yourself" on Rubber Soul and then again on "Paperback Writer" and "Rain". It was also used extensively on their 1967-1968 recording sessions.

If analyzing from these facts, we can say John Lennon stopped using Rickenbacker after the first US tour, George stopped using them after their last concert and Paul continued to use Rickenbacker well after the Beatles. Paul's main bass during Wings era was the Rickenbacker although still using the Hofner occasionally.

It's very true. I'm not sure though if it was George Martin or Brian Epstein who said The Beatles cannot hear well actually what they are singing because there was no fold back speakers. :-o

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #349 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
Ang lupet ni burnsbhm. Hardcore Beatlemaniac. Ibang klase. :lol:
Ows? Di nga?