hulika

Author Topic: Buying a new guitar  (Read 5261 times)

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Buying a new guitar
« on: March 13, 2006, 09:00:18 PM »
Ok so here's the deal, I'm not a guitarist actually, I play the bass lol (Oh don't criticise please lol), but the fact is I wanna try my hands on the guitar to have fun with and who knows I might actually become good. (Actually it's been improving my bass skills for some matter lol) Anyhoo, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew ANY GOOD PLACES around Makati, Festival Mall or Binan, Laguna that sells good electric guitars AT a decent price (Unlike that audiophile store that sells mostly everything at 16k+) Also if possible if it sells them as a set, you know as in amp, case (pref. hard case), lead, picks, whammy bar, tuner and a strap. My friend a few months ago got a good deal with his guitar, forgot what it was though but I tested it myself and for the price and the guitar it was actually good. Also, what the hell are the prices for hard cases these days? Haven't been to a mall in AGES lol.
PRSman is our forum English Teacher. Please refer to him on courses regarding being an idiot. Thank you.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:17:37 PM »
how much do you mean by "decent price?"

Audiophile @ Festival Mall Alabang sells some electric guitars for much less than 16k. They also have this Ibanez Gio pack that includes an amp for 12k or so.

Right beside it is Lazer. Some people say their Rockstar guitars are decent. I've never looked closely myself, though.

Head towards ACE Hardware and you'll come across Soundspace that sells the Behringer V-Tone Pack (guitar + practice amp). It shouldn't be worth more than 6.5k. It's something I wouldn't use myself, but it will probably do for a (very) casual user.

Head over to Alabang Town Center and you'll find the relatively new JB Music branch. Right now, they have A LOT of new stuff. There's a good chance you'll see something you'll like over there.

Sa Makati area, madami na dun, including another JB Music branch, RJ Guitars, Perfect Pitch and the Yupangco Main Showroom itself (along Gil Puyat).
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 10:38:43 PM »
Thanks for the tips, although what I noticed at Festival's LAZER was the lack of different guitars - It was funny too on how, I've never seen any Rockstar guitars (unless your talking about those acoustic one's they sell downstairs) or maybe because I keep looking at that other brand *can't remember sorry* lol. Although tell me about that Ibanez Gio Pack, I don't know what it is and what's actually in the pack. As for the "decent price" remark I said, was a nice pack amp included for less than atleast 9k or so. My friend which I mentioned at my above post got his deal for less than 9k although it included a nice *I think* Fernando Guitar and Amp, can't remember the model though, but it still had a soft case and whammy (I'm actually looking for his guitar or something similar to it). But I might check that Jb music branch at Alabang just to check out their stock. Would love for an electric guitar with a great attack.
PRSman is our forum English Teacher. Please refer to him on courses regarding being an idiot. Thank you.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:47:28 PM »
Mejo mahirap talaga sa South but it's a good thing that AP and JB (in ATC) are already there. There used to be an RJ store in ATC but it closed down shortly after it opened.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »
I'm not sure myself what's included in the Gio pack. Yung gitara tsaka amp lang kasi yung nasa display e. I never paid attention to its sign. Sorry.

I suppose you can also try to veer away from the packs and buy the items separately. I think it's possible to get something like an SX strat, a small Samick or Behringer practice amp, a strap along with all sorts of accessories for under 10k. That's gonna take a lot of canvasing, pero sabi mo naman bihira ka na nakakapag-mall e. Lubusin mo na. hehehe.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:53:15 PM »
punta kang Stage Point sa Raon madaming matinong cheap guitar dun. mababait pa yung mga tao, they'll help you find exactly what you need :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:51:05 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero

I suppose you can also try to veer away from the packs and buy the items separately.

+1

Hindi pa ko nakakakita ng "Complete Package" dito sa Pinas na kung saan satisfied kang pareho sa amp en sa gitara.Occasionally ang nangyayari kapag package ang kinukuha mo is either papalitan mo yung gitara mo or magpapalit ka ng amp.

Some of my suggestions for guitars are:

1.Ibanez Gio- Marami kang models na pagpipilian and yung iba less than 10k.

2.Squire California Series- P9,950 daw sa PP

Sa Amps:

1.Behringer Vintager (tube)

2. Behringer Firebird Combo

2.Peavey Blazer 158

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 11:22:16 AM »
Don't worry about it. One of my friends started off on bass before he moved onto guitar, and now he's a shredding machine.  :wink:

Second on the Ibanez GIO's.  :D

Offline super slinky

• Veteran Member
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:46:50 AM »
Sa Amps:

2.Peavey Blazer 158[/quote]

where can you find these amps?how much do they range?
\\\"underneath chaotic catastrophe creation takes stage\\\"

Offline super slinky

• Veteran Member
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 11:48:53 AM »
Quote from: VenusIsle_5150
punta kang Stage Point sa Raon madaming matinong cheap guitar dun. mababait pa yung mga tao, they'll help you find exactly what you need :)

+1

Offline super slinky

• Veteran Member
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 11:53:20 AM »
Quote from: lykenhowl
Sa Amps:

2.Peavey Blazer 158

wher can you find these?how mch do they range?

Offline j3ff

Buying a new guitar
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »
yung behringer available sa electronics depot alimall/mega then yung peavy sa audiophile meron din sa alimall.

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 04:24:52 PM »
Everyone has been commenting about Ibanez GIO's but does anyone have any data on it? Specs & Pics? Too lazy to get it myself, just got off from school tired as hell after the exams. Bad thing is, I'm on a budget - I can get atleast 9k, but since the gio pack is at 12k as Al_Librero says then It'll take me awhile saving up my highschool money haha. Oh and I'd love to start shreding soon, been trying to do tremelos :D

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:54 PM »
Quote from: 1604
Thanks for the tips, although what I noticed at Festival's LAZER was the lack of different guitars - It was funny too on how, I've never seen any Rockstar guitars (unless your talking about those acoustic one's they sell downstairs) or maybe because I keep looking at that other brand *can't remember sorry* lol. Although tell me about that Ibanez Gio Pack, I don't know what it is and what's actually in the pack. As for the "decent price" remark I said, was a nice pack amp included for less than atleast 9k or so. My friend which I mentioned at my above post got his deal for less than 9k although it included a nice *I think* Fernando Guitar and Amp, can't remember the model though, but it still had a soft case and whammy (I'm actually looking for his guitar or something similar to it). But I might check that Jb music branch at Alabang just to check out their stock. Would love for an electric guitar with a great attack.

Go for an Ibanez Gio. Kung alternative-powerpop-emo ang trip mo go for the GAX70. Gibson SG-ish body style, LP-style bridge. Most stores sell them for 8k to 9k. Kung shredder ang fave guitarist mo scope out the GRG150, kinda like a "poor man's RG". Maganda siya kahit non-locking yung tremolo.

Sa Lazer SM Manila may Rockstar Les Paul na blueburst finish selling for 7k. Mayroon silang 24-fret na guitars dun na less than 5k and some strats and teles selling for less than 4k.
soylent green is people.

Offline lykenhowl

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »
Quote from: super slinky
Quote from: lykenhowl
Sa Amps:

2.Peavey Blazer 158

wher can you find these?how mch do they range?

All of them are less than 6k, For the Behringer amps go to electronics depo, for the Peavey Blazer you can go to Audiophile. :wink:

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »
Quote from: agentx44
Quote from: 1604

Go for an Ibanez Gio. Kung alternative-powerpop-emo ang trip mo go for the GAX70. Gibson SG-ish body style, LP-style bridge. Most stores sell them for 8k to 9k. Kung shredder ang fave guitarist mo scope out the GRG150, kinda like a "poor man's RG". Maganda siya kahit non-locking yung tremolo.

Sa Lazer SM Manila may Rockstar Les Paul na blueburst finish selling for 7k. Mayroon silang 24-fret na guitars dun na less than 5k and some strats and teles selling for less than 4k.

Uy! GRG150 & GAX70! My top choices! I'm a poor HS guy  :lol:

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
Okay back, I'm not sure whether to buy one of those GAX Ibanez Guitars or to find my luck with RG Ibanez Guitars which I've heard sound great - could use some new pickups just like the GAX, but the RG seems to be better with the extra pick up and all, thoughts on where i can find a nice set or cheap one?

Offline Kulas

Buying a new guitar
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 11:28:07 PM »
well sa looks i'd go for the GAX pero sa tunog, sa GRG ako. yung GAX kasi 2 humbuckers lang diba? so you only get a humbucker guitar sound, like gibsons, prs's etc. dun sa GRG naman, you get 2 humbuckers plus a single coil middle pickup (which, hopefully is reverse polarity) so pag naka-2 and 4  positions ka sa selector, you get a sound na medyo stratty ang dating. so not only do you get the humbucker sound, pero medyo parang may strat ka narin. ang ayoko lang sa RG yung matutulis eh, hehe. ang tulis ng head and mga cutaways nya, hehe. yung GAX medyo classic pa ang dating. that's just my taste, hehe. kanya-kanyang diskarte lang yan bro.

Offline fade2black0520

• Veteran Member
gio!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 01:08:45 AM »
sa gio ka na men!!! more verastility than the gax!!!!  +1 stratty as mentioned by sir al!!! IMHO!!!!   :D  :D  :D  a bang for the buck axe of sorts.....  :D
Samick 15W practice amp - Marshall MG15R - jazz 3 picks

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Buying a new guitar
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 02:24:31 AM »
Okay got back, havent bought it yet since I'm still deciding plus those rockstar guitars from LAZER weren't "that" decent - to be honest it was kinda ... uh non inspiring lol. Plus LAZER didn't have any 24 fret guitars in stock only that white rockstar [?/maybe vantage?] which me and my bro tested out >_>;; Also, Audiophile doesn't have any other guitars except those high priced one's I even checked out their Ibanez RG model which was at 34k or 56k or something, wayyyy out of my budget. Anyways, I still need details on where I can find a GAX model by Ibanez or else I'll HAVE to buy the GRG.

Offline jefft

Buying a new guitar
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 03:44:37 AM »
sa raon .. meron ata ng GAX70 .. Stage pointe..
" it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do".