hulika

Author Topic: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)  (Read 53801 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
I think MIJ guitars are still much better than Korea, ASEAN and China Guitars.  But, the past two years or so trying out the higher end of USA guitars has made me discriminating against MIJ guitars. Don't get me wrong because there are good sounding MIJs that sound better even their USA counterparts -- in fact Chelsea Guitars would recommend a cheaper MIJ over a more expensive MIA that sounds bad.

I just realized this recently that MIJ guitars have a greater mythos than what they actually deliver TODAY.  Probably back in the 70s and 80s, they beat Made in America at least in terms of value and workmanship.  But yesterday was a turning point because I had actually -- could not believe myself -- bought a Fender Custom Shop Tele that sounded great.  Previously, I thought that the Custom Shop was all hype but sometimes by luck (Fender Custom Shop produces way more duds than great sounding guitars like any other brand) and when the stars align an outstanding Fender Custom Shop comes along and it blows away the Japs.  I and Arie had spent time comparing the dimensions, workmanship and overall Feel of the Custom Shop Tele versus his old Tokai.  And low and behold, the Custom Shop seemed to look and feel better.  In fact, parang in accurate ang dimensions ng Tokai compared to the Custom Shop.  A few months ago, I got to try a Tokai Tele at Lyric (those guys really understand and let you try their stuff) and I felt despite the hype that 1)Tokai has a limited run and 2) will eventually close because the grand children will NOT continue the business (hanep sa tele novela to sell a guitar), it felt like a toy.  Sobrang shiny, parang maliit ang neck and katawan, parang hindi tama ang feel and corners and the usual manipis na tunog na Japan -- the same sickness of the 70s-80s Fender copies. 

Which brings me to my point, Japanese made guitars did herald the way to lower costing and lower priced guitars as PRIMARY OBJECTIVE and probably led to Fender USA's survival in the long run (Japanese quality control and high standards -- which I believe have NOT been matched by ASEAN, China or India to this day).  In contrast the boutique builders and customs shops TODAY in the USA and Europe have tone, feel and character as prime consideration as reflected by the higher price.  I am not saying that they do NOT produce duds -- far from it (with the exception of my luthier friend in Israel -- I think guitars are better produced in the Middle East -- LOL).  There are I believe some high end luthiers in Japan who deserve attention but I think they play second fiddle to the US guys for the main reason that  the US guys have better exposure to artists and have grown up in the culture of guitar -- which is the reason why I do NOT have anything commissioned by a local luthier).

Between having no guitar and having an ASEAN made guitar.  Its better to get an ASEAN made guitar.  Between a Santa Mesa made guitar and an ASEAN guitar.  Go for an ASEAN made guitar.  Between an ASEAN made guitar and a Japanese Guitar, go for a Japanese Guitar.  The local luthiers range from below ASEAN made but above Santa Mesa to as high as normal production Japanese Guitar.  Between USA Guitar and Japanese Guitar, look for a great sounding regular production.  Between a great sounding regular production and a Boutique Guitar, look a for a great sounding Boutique Guitar -- don't get rid of your regular production yet until you find that magical Boutique Guitar.

When it comes to sound, USA IS THE WAY TO GO specially if you are looking for a MAGICAL GUITAR.  Lets face it, once you buy your killer sounding MIJ, you end up upgrading it over time with USA parts worth more than the cost of an American Standard.  Now compare that to same upgraded parts on a USA made guitar with similar properties.  It is foolish.  I think Jap guitars have to be appreciated for what they are and as is.  Ang joke ko nga kay Arie, medyo dehado yata ako sa shootout dahil stock Fender parts sa akin pero ang Tokai Tele niya may bridge na glendale, siguro a paper in oil cap, twang king pickup sa neck, fender tele texas special sa bridge, CTS 4 way switch na callaham, callaham na pots, and soon to be 6105 Dunlop frets and may plano pang bilhan ng Fender na Decal (LOL).  Now if its a project guitar, I mean who does not have one, even this Fender USA Custom Shop Tele will not last long in stock-- none of my guitars do, its a worthwhile endeavor to start on a Jap but extremely more fun on the USA.

To summarize, GENERALLY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR -- As Caution though sometimes, YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING NOT WORTH GETTING (e.g. ASEAN, China & India Guitars no matter how cheap or marketed as Value for Money, or Local Guitars no matter how CUSTOMIZED they claim it to be)

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »
Been telling you for the last 6 years. Fender CS is the SHIZNITZ! I played my WW10 Last thursday through the 2rock and man its just crazy. I loved it! Woody full of body and loaded with character. :) .

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Been telling you for the last 6 years. Fender CS is the SHIZNITZ! I played my WW10 Last thursday through the 2rock and man its just crazy. I loved it! Woody full of body and loaded with character. :) .

Bow ako...

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:21:03 AM »
no offense meant but i find it illogical to compare a mass produced tokai to a fender custom shop guitar. would have been more appropriate to compare your custom shop tele to a tele made by a known luthier and with a similar price range. that would be more interesting in my case :-)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
no offense meant but i find it illogical to compare a mass produced tokai to a fender custom shop guitar. would have been more appropriate to compare your custom shop tele to a tele made by a known luthier and with a similar price range. that would be more interesting in my case :-)

+1.  I agree.  But it is what people in this forum do when they compare their Tokais or their MIM to Fender USAs right?

By the way, before I bought this specific fender custom shop,  I just had to test several Suhr Teles and found none equivalent to it or anywhere near it.  As you guys know, I am biased for Suhr. Also, I had to clear the Custom Shop Teles at Sam Ash before I finished off the 15 Custom Shop Teles at Matt Umanovs to pick my specific Custom Shop Tele as the most outstanding of those available for sale in Manhattan at THAT point in time.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »

Finally, lumabas ka na sa closet kasama ng Tele mo.  Hindi ka pala JG.  Tele guy ka pala.  LOL.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
read the subject heading -interesting. then i read the guts of the post -let me get this straight: you're comparing a Tokai to a Custom Shop strat then qualify the comparison with a generalized "MIJ sucks" subject heading? last time i checked tokai never had a specialized custom shop.

come on man, the herb you smoke can't be THAT strong.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:18:43 AM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
I believe there are still some exceptional japanese guitar..

Ibanez J. Custom

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »

Ibanez J. Custom

J.customs aren't that exceptional IMHO. They sound and feel like the Prestige line mas pogi lang looks at specs. Try the custom made ESPs and Navigators. Those one off Navigators I tried in Japan when I bought my Jackson Stars were exceptional. Broke in feel, resonant unplugged, and very very meticulous craftsmanship. Kakatakot nga hawakan yung Les Paul and SG Navigators doon kasi ang mahal at exclusively built. 

I dig everything Japanese. Yes, including the chicks. lol So I don't have a problem with Jap guitars.  :-D 

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
mainit...

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

I dig everything Japanese. Yes, including the chicks. lol.  :-D 

Well then, I'll go for CIJ.

"Chick In Japan". :D

Offline ivancarlovillaruel

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
wow ha  :-o

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
Yep. You get what you pay for - sometimes.

wow ha  :-o

Nice first post. :wave:
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline Roy Pigdester

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:16:17 PM »
Ale-ale-jandro should pose for Baker in an ad wearing the American Flag draped around like a loincloth and nothing else.

I respect you, Hiyaw Man, but you gotta take into consideration the rest of Philmusic who would gladly settle for a MIJ rather than a Lumanog.

Offline monkeypunch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
Well then, I'll go for CIJ.

"Chick In Japan". :D

this LOL :-D...CIJ in a custom school uniform.....

" It's all about JESUS "

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
Yep. You get what you pay for - sometimes.

Nice first post. :wave:

:lol:

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »
+1.  I agree.  But it is what people in this forum do when they compare their Tokais or their MIM to Fender USAs right?

Maybe i missed it but i never saw a post that claims a non custom mij beats a custom mia.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
this beats that, those beat these...

i am wondering why this doesn't count as one of those pointless cliche threads that get locked on sight.

Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Teka sino ba famous na custom Japanese luthiers? Yung parang kasing tindi gumawa ng katana.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 10:02:30 PM »

Ibanez J. Custom

Nope ... they don't cut it.  For the past twenty years since I started guitar I NEVER found an Ibanez guitar with magic sa dami ng sinubukan ko at binili ko.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
Ale-ale-jandro should pose for Baker in an ad wearing the American Flag draped around like a loincloth and nothing else.

I respect you, Hiyaw Man, but you gotta take into consideration the rest of Philmusic who would gladly settle for a MIJ rather than a Lumanog.

At least we have something in common, a MIJ over a Lumanog.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 10:05:15 PM »
this beats that, those beat these...

i am wondering why this doesn't count as one of those pointless cliche threads that get locked on sight.

Because Made in Japan are NOT as great as they are projected to be...

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
Teka sino ba famous na custom Japanese luthiers? Yung parang kasing tindi gumawa ng katana.

Masaru Kohno(1926-1998)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »
:lol:

I had to provide a SOMETIMES clause for the local people like ....

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Taku Sakashta
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,