hulika

Author Topic: POST PROCESSING/PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIALS  (Read 106902 times)

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
POST PROCESSING/PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIALS
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »
SELECTIVE COLORING 101

In Adobe Photoshop

Open the image you want to work on.
In the toolbar, Image/Adjustment/Desaturate (or shift+ctrl+U).
This should make your image black & white, then
Select the History Brush tool.

You will need to alter the brush size to the size required to work on the area, where you want to restore colour. This can be done by selecting the down arrow (by the History Brush icon on the tool bar).
It is better if you set the "Hardness" to 100%.

Use your "Magnifying glass" tool to zoom in to achieve best results.

Another way:
Using your "Magic Wand" tool select an area you want to convert to black & white, then press shift+ctrl+U. You can keep doing this until you have achieved your aim. This is sometimes the easiest way if there is lots of detail in your coloured item.

Sample:  :-D

Obey your thirst...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reverse_projection/4255029136/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:14:08 AM by gainsucker »

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: SELECTIVE COLORING TUTORIAL
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:21:01 AM »
cool. :)

when using Photoshop, i have a personal rule that i don't mess with the base photo (in the background layer), so i could always go back to Step 1 if i wanted.

the simpler version would be to duplicate the layer (Shift + J), desaturate the new layer, then erase the unwanted parts in the B/W layer to reveal the color underneath! :)

but, whatever works. hehe

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:52 AM »

when using Photoshop, i have a personal rule that i don't mess with the base photo (in the background layer), so i could always go back to Step 1 if i wanted.

the simpler version would be to duplicate the layer (Shift + J), desaturate the new layer, then erase the unwanted parts in the B/W layer to reveal the color underneath! :)

great point bro... sana dumami tambay dito... patay ang forum eh...  :-(

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »
great point bro... sana dumami tambay dito... patay ang forum eh...  :-(

yep, maybe there's too much diversity. i mean, it's music forum, with a photography forum, with a relationships forum, with a health & fitness forum, (get the drift? hehe)

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »
Will ask Kulas to sticky the thread. Gainsucker, would you mind changing the title to Post Processing Tutorials instead or something relevant?

Keep the tutorials coming! I NEED IT!  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:29:08 AM by michiko_airashii »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:19 AM »
this is cool ... .thanks guys!!!
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
@michiko - what else do you need maybe we can help :)

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »
Wow thanks!

I want to learn the simplest way of how to put a watermark and how to frame the image. Sorry i'm so stupid when it comes to PS. I'm an avid Picasa fan hehe!  :-D       

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »

thanks!!!...look what I did.

I call this.... screaming tubescreamer.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:44:06 PM by Phil »

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: POST PROCESSING TUTORIALS
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
well, the simplest way is to tweak the layer itself. let's assume Layer 1 is a photo you'd like to frame.

double click on Layer 1 (which will bring up the Layer Style pop up), then adjust the Stroke tab (there's a list on the left side). adjust the size and color only, for the mean time.

in the photo below, i also tweaked the Drop Shadow style (from the list) to mimic how Macs presented their photographs :-D

as for the watermark, it will depend how you want it to look like. for the photo below, i chose it to be conspicuous, but within the context of the photo itself. :-D

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
MOTION BLUR

Open your image in Photoshop.

Press (Ctrl+J) to duplicate the Background image and rename the new layer to "Motion Blur".

Now, we need to select the non main objects in our image so press (D) to set the foreground and background colors to the default, Select the Brush Tool (B), click "Edit in quick mask mode" (Q) then set the foreground color to black and paint all the non main object areas. You will notice that the painted areas are painted in red, you can click the "]" and "[" keys to modify the brush size as needed, I like to have a big brush for the outer areas and smaller brush size when I come close to the objects. Notice that you can click "Reverse Foreground and Background colors" (X) any time if you do any thing wrong to erase the wrong masking and (X) again to continue.

Press (Q) again to exit the "Edit mask mode", Press (Ctrl+C) and (Ctrl+V) to make a new layer of the selection then rename the new layer to "Main".

Select the "Main" layer, select the "Magic Wand Tool" (W), right click the eye next to the "Main" layer in the Layers window and click "Show/hide all other layers" to show only the "Main" layer.

Now, select all the empty area of the "Main" layer, make the "Motion Blur" Layer visible again and select it, press (Ctrl+C) ,(Ctrl+V) and rename the new layer to "BG".

Select the "BG" layer and click Filters > Blur > Motion Blur, set Angel = 0 and Distance = 33 Pixels.

You can get another effect by selecting the "BG" layer and clicking Filter > Blur > Radial Blur instead of "Motion Blur".

source: http://www.tutorialsroom.com/tutorials/graphics/motion_blur.html

my share:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reverse_projection/4255586321/

Offline luna_07

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
I really enjoy this forum, the pics, the threads, tutorials. Props to gainsucker! Keep it coming!

P.S. I'm really new when it comes to photography and i'm really enjoying it.
References/successful transactions: markv, BAMF, pao2pao16, shutterbugjohn, quietstorm, skunkyfunk, Tasty, trinch, Joel Marcelo, yukinohana, chito_eoi, upfront

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »
I really enjoy this forum, the pics, the threads, tutorials. Props to gainsucker! Keep it coming!

P.S. I'm really new when it comes to photography and i'm really enjoying it.

thanks a lot bro... it's an art you can learn actually... masaya ang PHOTOGRAPHY...

next month maybe i'll plan an EB, sharing din ng PHOTOGRAPHY VIDEO LESSONS at photowalk, kanya kanyang dala na lang ng flash drive...

i started last June 2008, and still consider myself new to this field... so enjoy lang...  :-D

Offline Enj0i

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
mas madali pala yung ganyan, ginagawa ko kasi eh kinu-cut ko using pen tool, tapos papatungan ko na lang yung base layer ko... more...
Let\\\'s Go

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:01 PM »
Kung tamad mag-PP sa Photoshop, use Lightroom. Lol! Haha di ako marunong mag-photoshop. Nosebleed ako sa pinagsasabi niyo  :lol:

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
Kamoners!

Step by step guide for watermarking and framing please! Am i asking too much? Hehehe!   

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
thanks to gainsucker and badongrigs !!!

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:19 AM »
mas madadalas yata ako dito kesa sa GC :-D

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 01:41:10 AM »
@Phil

it's badongrRODrigs hehe You're welcome! :-D

@Michiko

Check this print screen first. LINK

1. Layer 1 is the photo you'd like to frame
2. Double click on Layer 1 to bring out the Layer Style box. (This also works: Right-click the layer and select Blending Options) (check photo)
3. See the highlighted tab named STROKE (at the bottom). the Stroke style basically outlines all the edges in the layer. so check the Stroke style.
4. Inside the Stroke style (immediately to the right), i changed 3 things: the color of the stroke, the size, and the position. Change the color to WHITE, the size to 12 (or whatever fits your taste), and then the position to INSIDE. Tweak those settings to your liking.
5. For added effect, I also checked the Drop Shadow style and tweaked the settings a bit.

about the watermark, andaming style na pwede eh. bigyan moko ng example then i'll try to emulate that. :)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:48:49 AM by badongrodrigs »

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »
Ouch multiply is forbidden here. Can you please please host it in photobucket instead?

Will try the given procedures.

About the watermarking, no particular style is needed. I just want to know the fastest and simplest way to do it. Maybe like this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulo_payumo/3876923046/

Also, is there a particular software which will allow you to batch watermark your photos?

Thank you very much :) 

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »
Ouch multiply is forbidden here. Can you please please host it in photobucket instead?

Will try the given procedures.

About the watermarking, no particular style is needed. I just want to know the fastest and simplest way to do it. Maybe like this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulo_payumo/3876923046/

Also, is there a particular software which will allow you to batch watermark your photos?

Thank you very much :) 

hi michiko...  :-D

i'm using a mac and was able to get a free watermarking software online... i'm sure you can download one for free...  :-D

and yes, you can do batch processing also...

let me search one for you... get back later...

Offline michiko.airashii

• i'm a girl
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 02:30:12 AM »
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/badongrodrigs/MICHIKOcopy.jpg

Gotcha! Galing! Will try it at home and post the result here. Thank you!

PS: i bookmarked your tumblr  :-D

gainsucker,

Thank you very much, will stay glued. 

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 03:44:05 AM »
well, the simplest way is to tweak the layer itself. let's assume Layer 1 is a photo you'd like to frame.

double click on Layer 1 (which will bring up the Layer Style pop up), then adjust the Stroke tab (there's a list on the left side). adjust the size and color only, for the mean time.

in the photo below, i also tweaked the Drop Shadow style (from the list) to mimic how Macs presented their photographs :-D

as for the watermark, it will depend how you want it to look like. for the photo below, i chose it to be conspicuous, but within the context of the photo itself. :-D

you rock man!!

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:14 AM »
^ thanks phil, it's compensation for how bad i play guitar :))

here's a quick one.

Editing Facial (or other) Imperfections

here's a rather unflattering photo, with visible facial imperfections.

here's what i did to try to improve the photo.

i did a few things: first, i "removed" the imperfections from her face using the Clone Stamp Tool and clicking away, then i did the background motion blur that gainsucker gave insights on (thanks btw!), then i duplicated the edited layer and applied Gaussian Blur and set the Layer Blend to Overlay, adjusted the levels a bit, and smacked the watermark.

i could've also used the Liquify tool to fix the bulge in her left cheek, but that's a sensitive topic. hehehe