hulika

Author Topic: DIY boutique amps, pedals, mod kits, proto-type circuits, etc - Post them here!  (Read 1796157 times)

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
super angas bro! clips pls! :)

Soon. But for now hear Alchemy Audio's -

Indulge yourself.  :wave:

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
A few weeks back, I got a chance to score a used J.Morrero Reverb. It was one of the early Pinoy-DIY reverb pedals which was based on the 1st gen Hermida Reverb. It's a spring reverb emulator using a Belton digital reverb module. Sounds really really good!

As I also wanted to build a small pedalboard setup, I wanted my pedals to have top loading jacks so I can squeeze them together in the board. This reverb pedal being a good sounding spring reverb emulator, I just had to rehouse it.

Went ahead to order some parts (a new Bourns 15% tolerance 10k linear pot, a couple of military spec Switchcraft jacks, and a powdercoated Hammond 1950BB enclosure) and proceeded instantly with the rehouse the moment they arrived.

Everything went smoothly. I'm liking how it turned out.

DSC_2083 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2088 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2089 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2091 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2092 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2094 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2096 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2097 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2101 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2106 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2107 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2108 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

DSC_2109 by Rei Chino Pua, on Flickr

nice paps!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Here's a project I just buttoned up last night. Rebuilt this from a custom amp made by Raul Quesada but I bought it in defective condition. Decided to rebuild it based on Marshall Super Lead schematics, but had the two channels jumped by default.

Will work on a switch that will cascade one gain stage into the next and see where that takes me. Might need to bump up the filter capacitors as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVy9e3anRFA/
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
I got my start in modding here in Philmusic. And I'm back. At least for now. Anyways, I've always said that the Boston HM100 is a great platform for modding and the end result can be awesome. Some things have changed, like it's already SMT which makes it much more difficult to mod.

Again, it's a circuit clone of the Boss MT2 but is even superior to that because its chips are JRC4558. Which means they are DIP chips that can be drop-in replaced by better chips such as the TL082s or Burr Brown OPA chips. The input buffer is a FET which makes it very good, high impedance input.

I used to say that my Boston HM100 will go from clean to Heavy metal and all points in between. Now, here's the proof. I only used an IPad, still figuring out how to make a real-time video using my recording gear and a webcam.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline gitaristadaw

I got my start in modding here in Philmusic. And I'm back. At least for now. Anyways, I've always said that the Boston HM100 is a great platform for modding and the end result can be awesome. Some things have changed, like it's already SMT which makes it much more difficult to mod.

Again, it's a circuit clone of the Boss MT2 but is even superior to that because its chips are JRC4558. Which means they are DIP chips that can be drop-in replaced by better chips such as the TL082s or Burr Brown OPA chips. The input buffer is a FET which makes it very good, high impedance input.

I used to say that my Boston HM100 will go from clean to Heavy metal and all points in between. Now, here's the proof. I only used an IPad, still figuring out how to make a real-time video using my recording gear and a webcam.

Galing sir! made me look for a 2nd hand HM100...do you still do the mods?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Galing sir! made me look for a 2nd hand HM100...do you still do the mods?

Look for the really old Bostons like 10 years old. Yes I can still do the mods, I still have my modding notes but only if the pedal is
thru-hole and not SMT in construction.

Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline rr

Hi! Im looking to make my own external bank switch for my nemesis delay. Does anyone here  can lead me on how to make one? Schematics? Videos? Etc.

Ps: no background sa electronics. But i successfully rewired and replaced the guts of strat.haha

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

reference: bossingboss,sheepsmellslikeseashells,nickson,saturn/return,xelly,pers,glassisback,drahcirnna24 and many more =)

Offline jmwreck

• Forum Fanatic
Darkglass Vintage and B3K with order selector, first time gumamit ng envirotex

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Anyone know where I can buy germanium transistors? Or even a 1n34 Germanium diode?  :)

Offline frankenstrat

Does anyone know where else i can score some pedal knobs,for solid shaft pots here in Metro Manila, besides epektos.com?  :cute:

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
Does anyone know where else i can score some pedal knobs,for solid shaft pots here in Metro Manila, besides epektos.com?  :cute:

I've got a bunch of em. what do you need?

Offline frankenstrat

I've got a bunch of em. what do you need?
6 pcs of mxr or the knobs that comes with the crunchbox  :roll:
Is yours with the screws for solid shaft pots?

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Anyone here know where i can buy a Momentary SPST Soft touch aside from epektos?

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
Anyone here know where i can buy a Momentary SPST Soft touch aside from epektos?

I've got some. How many do you need?

6 pcs of mxr or the knobs that comes with the crunchbox  :roll:
Is yours with the screws for solid shaft pots?

I'll send a photo of all my knobs later.

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Sent you a pm sir!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Anyone know where I can buy germanium transistors? Or even a 1n34 Germanium diode?  :)

Ohms sells 1N60 Germanium diodes, as do Deeco and Alexan IIRC. The 1N4148-sized 1N60P is a Silicon workalike of this.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Where is this Ohms store? There used to be one along National Road in Muntinlupa but I think that already closed down.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
Ohms sells 1N60 Germanium diodes, as do Deeco and Alexan IIRC. The 1N4148-sized 1N60P is a Silicon workalike of this.

Noted! Thanks sir! 

On a side note, has anyone made a q tron/envelope filter clone? Any kits/pcb layouts?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Where is this Ohms store? There used to be one along National Road in Muntinlupa but I think that already closed down.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Meron pa sa Laguna, at least where I live (San Pedro). Apparently germanium transistors aren't the rare part that I thought they were when I was first trying to make an Orange Squeezer hahaha
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:08:17 PM by lolwat »

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus

Noted! Thanks sir! 

On a side note, has anyone made a q tron/envelope filter clone? Any kits/pcb layouts?

I've tried, but only partially succeeded, making a Maestro Filter Sample/Hold. It's a bipolar design, and I used a dual OTA chip (LM13600) plus three op amp stages. Couldn't get both sides (envelope filter/sample & hold) to work together - it's either/or.

Maybe try out a DOD FX25? Seems simple enough, and the parts count is relatively low.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Meron pa sa Laguna, at least where I live (San Pedro). Apparently germanium transistors aren't the rare part that I thought they were when I was first trying to make an Orange Squeezer hahaha

Anong codes ng Ge transistors nila? 2SKxxxx?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Anong codes ng Ge transistors nila? 2SKxxxx?

Sorry, mistype! Germanium DIODES pala yung gusto kong sabihin hahaha

On another note, they still seem to carry some carbon composition (not carbon film) resistors and metal can (TO-18 package) silicon transistors like the 2N2222. Hindi ko lang alam ngayon.

Offline edjohn01

Aside from epektos, where can I buy an spst momentary switch soft touch that is normally close?

Offline Gravityman

• Netizen Level
For those that use 1N34A or other Ge diodes, do you just buy a bunch and test each for the ideal forward voltages? I bought a bunch from Deeco and most seem to have really high Vfs around double of the desired 0.2-0.3+ range.. Are sylvania or D9Es hard to find around here? Or are there online sources that won't charge an arm and a leg?  :-(