hulika

Author Topic: What made Sitti so popular?  (Read 49200 times)

Offline GGBR

Re: What made Sitti so popular?
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2007, 09:27:15 PM »
First of all you really need to take a back seat in assessing the music 'market' in the Philippines. Who are the listeners? Who is/are your target market/s?

After a careful thinking of who or what clicks - you may want to ask the following questions:

- Who are the listeners? - general mass market; audio/music - philes; critics; radio-listeners; cd/dvd buyers; college/high school kids, etc, etc...
 - Who ended up buying the music? - again, which one of the above.
 - Timing is another important factor!

Then again you may one to ask the question - is it really the 'magaling' ones that get the mass appeal? or is it the 'saleable-to-the-masa/listeners'?

Often time you find that the 'magaling', authentic ones (the supposed deserving ones) that do not get the attention. Why?

You may argue that Flor Purim/Airto Moreira, Astrud/Joao Jobim, LAni Hall, Gracina Leporace etc. etc. are the starndard bearers...but who are these artists to the majority of listeners. In other words...the 'common listener' is not the 'afficionado', the 'common listener' does not really care if the pronounciation is Carioca or Italian or Frenchy.  What do they care about;  or what makes them listen.

Maybe Sitti had that 'voice-of-the-time' as did Barbie, Kitchie, or the girl of UP Dharma Down or the girl of MYMP. And it so happened that 'that voice-of-the-moment' was timely used in Bossa NOva.

I am a purist and a hard critic of artists BUT again, I do not follow the 'mass market' mentality. You may say that I would not be able to produce/choose a 'Nora Aunor' because I simple do not ride on that 'taste'. I go for the 'original' feel, for the 'pure' sound, and for this kind of taste/attitude, I will not be able to make the mass market like 'my kind of music'.

I may not be 'the market', you may not be 'the market'; bottom line is you'll make money IF YOU KNOW AND WILL SATISFY THE MARKET.

Do you know your market?

nO RLY

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2007, 12:38:14 AM »
she has this charm...

may voice siya, ang soothing sa ears
the camera loves her, ang gaganda ng itsura niya sa videos
ang ganda ng tunog ng mga kanta niya. bossa mehn 8-)

yun lang siguro.. :lol:

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »
At ang ganda-ganda niyang tao. Hindi lang sa pisikal o panlabas na anyo, kundi 'yung mismong pagkatao niya, maganda.

c",)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline djspit

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »
me concert pala sya music museum.. nakita ko tarp kanina sa ghils...
ang laki! big tarp of sitti... nice =) muntik na ko mabangga haha
http://www.facebook.com/djmyke/pages#!/pages/DJMYKE/255868169639 IMAC 24" core2duo Logic Pro 9, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6.0, Apogee Duet2, axiom49,Keystation 88es, Yamaha dx100, Rode NT1a, Yamaha HS80m,Taylor 614, Taylor GS Mini, Fender Telecaster USA. ban

Offline The Flautist

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2007, 10:51:23 PM »
I met her way before sya sumikat and she's really very nice and napaka yumi.She has a nice voice but according to some di naman daw ganun talaga ang pagkanta ng bossa.Well anyway,in fairness soothing ang voice nya.Siguro naka add narin sa pagsikat nya ngayon ay nagkaroon ng panibagong flavor sa pinoy music scene.Nauso showband,then acoustic tapos balik yung alternative band..biglang pumasok si Sitti with her Bossa Nova music na di gaanong popular sa masa.Syempre for a non musician listener panibagong tunog to at nagustuhan naman ng pinoy.. :wink:

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
Kinikilig at touched ako, super, as in mega! Sitti asked her manager Garrie to call me and offer me a free ticket to her concert. Kilig!!! As in!!!

c",)

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
stitti to d max ah..  :-D

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2007, 01:37:57 AM »
napakaganda naman kasi... :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2007, 09:30:53 AM »
All that and a bag of chips.

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
Kinikilig at touched ako, super, as in mega! Sitti asked her manager Garrie to call me and offer me a free ticket to her concert. Kilig!!! As in!!!

c",)

Ah ganun ba? Ako tinawagan niya personally para sa isang private show niya.  :-D

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »

c",)

Ah ganun ba? Ako tinawagan niya personally para sa isang private show niya.  :-D

:-P

Offline the_jj

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2007, 09:04:39 PM »
she made bossa nova more mainstream
My Own Epic Drama, My Own Scripted Page

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2007, 09:52:18 PM »
Good timing sya..
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2007, 10:13:07 PM »

c",)

:-P

talo ka ser aya  :-D

anyway. wala naman talagang pake ang audience eh. basta ma sabit mo sila at masarap sa tenga nila, rekwes na ang aabutin mo sa radio at tv

nO RLY

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
she was one of the many bossa babes who revived the pinoy bossa genre once again. 8-)

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »
Si Sitti nga pala kasama ni Asia Agcaoilli sa PBB as host.  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline andrea4prez

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2007, 02:49:30 AM »
sir aya, i can attest to this...sitti was my classmate in up diliman, di lang mabait napakatalino pa! correct me if im wrong, valedictorian pa siya nung highschool. i know she graduated economics at upd. i migrated kasi dito sa cali kaya diko na siya naabutan nung sikat na.she worked hard for whatever success she has now.. i remember, sumali pa yan sa beauty contest..haha..im checking nga some of my stuff here at home looking for pics with her..ill post later siguro...

At ang ganda-ganda niyang tao. Hindi lang sa pisikal o panlabas na anyo, kundi 'yung mismong pagkatao niya, maganda.

c",)

Offline orion

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
@ least me contribution sya to educate pinoy/ mass (musically) sa bossa/ brazilian music,,. :-D kahit d2 sa province,. appreciate na ng mga tao sa malayong lugar esp the kids ung bossa,.buti nlang me mga collection na vinyl ung tito ko nina gilberto, jobim, veloso, mendez,etc d2 kya di ako napag iwanan kaht malayo sa city  (gustohin ko man din di kc abot d2 ung mga jazz station sa manila d2 noon,.hehehe :-D,.)
It's either "Less is More" or "Less is Bore"

nO RLY

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
yup. and sino nga ba yung kasama nilang puppet na babae? yung ang labo ng pagsalita. :-D

Offline orion

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »
yung Asia b ung Bosso Diva? hahahaha,.un ung sabi nya :-D
It's either "Less is More" or "Less is Bore"

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2007, 01:28:16 PM »
it's really difficult to strike a balance between being faithful to a genre, and personalizing your own music. it's purely a matter of personal preference, and you're not likely to reach a point where nobody would criticize you. and just for the sake of argument, even if there's a point where everybody will be happy your music, maybe you won't, because your work would be lacking in artistic integrity.

============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline jazhombie

• Board Moderator
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
dinaan sa kagandahan, hehehe... pero ok naman!pasok na rin!! :-D

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2007, 11:49:36 AM »
the brazilians don't seem to be complaining -- maybe sitti is doing just fine. slightly OT -- i got to play for her a few times. she's very easy to work with, very pretty and charming.

i guess sometimes it just boils down to whether or not the music is pleasing to the ears, and that is entirely subjective, and will vary from person to person. sitti's popularity i guess is one indication that a lot of people like her -- whether it's her voice, her looks, or the entire package. the purists don't seem to be happy, but nowadays, "genre-bending" isn't exactly something new.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline blackhawk7a

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2007, 09:44:30 AM »
masasabi ko lang,ang ganda ng kanta ni sitti,ang sarap sa tenga...

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
Well said, kumpareng Marvin. Lucid, intelligent, well-informed, balanced, fair.

I agree.

Of course, the fact that a funny-looking bald guitar playing warrior lesbian is halfway in love with her may have something to do with that.

Ewan....
 :wink: