hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 298112 times)

Offline punkasspunk

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #825 on: January 19, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »
ok thanks for the idea i'll check it out  :-D

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #826 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
kailangan pa ba ng sound card if ever bibili ako ng m-audio fast track?!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #827 on: January 19, 2012, 05:11:19 PM »
kailangan pa ba ng sound card if ever bibili ako ng m-audio fast track?!

No. the fast track IS the sound card, aside from the built in sound in your pc.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #828 on: January 19, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »
so if i have m-audio fast track no need for another sound aside from the one that is built in..

but what if wanted to install a sound card aside from the one that is buit in, what do i need next?i mean do i still need the m-audio to connect my guitar to comp. or are there any alternative.?

sorry really have no idea...

Offline cyberkamote

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #829 on: January 20, 2012, 05:29:23 AM »
so if i have m-audio fast track no need for another sound aside from the one that is built in..

but what if wanted to install a sound card aside from the one that is buit in, what do i need next?i mean do i still need the m-audio to connect my guitar to comp. or are there any alternative.?

sorry really have no idea...

hi sir, the important thing to know is that the fast track is going to your PC via USB...

now normally wala dapat epekto yun kung may soundcard ka pa, specially if yung purpose ng sound card mo is simply for your PC speakers...

remember that the Fast Track is an Audio interface- normally a gadget for "INPUT" so the guitar and mic go in here. Now if ang reason mo to buy a soundcard is for plugging in your speakers then I think walang magiging problema...

Hope this helps sir :) lets wait for the experts to comment too :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #830 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
It used to be that pc's didn't have sound built in. They had to make expansion cards so that sound could be accommodated; that's why soundblaster became a big hit in the early 90's until ultimately, sound was integrated into every motherboard. You can probably thank Steve Jobs and Apple for that.

Note that you CAN record with onboard sound, but it usually isn't the most efficient way to do so. For one thing, pc sound is usually designed for efficient playback with recording added as a bonus. Low latency recording is not high on the list of priorities when the developers make drivers for onboard sound; this is why we need a dedicated audio interface. Often, external and prosumer soundcards (such as the fast track) will have better, low latency drivers as well as multiple I/O and maybe provisions for instrument inputs which put conditions such as impedance mismatching out of the question.

You can have onboard sound and the fast track both working simultaneously. Used to be that I would route my onboard sound into my recording card so I can hear my games or movies after a hard day's work - I had up to 3 different sound sources at that time. Onboard sound goes to my pc speakers while the 'pro audio' goes to my headphones or monitors. Let's just say I could hear the difference between the 2 and I couldn't trust onboard sound for critical listening. Now, my 1820m does everything audio related - a much simpler and efficient setup.

The simplest way to connect a guitar to a pc is to get one of those usb guitar cables or interfaces... the fast tracks have guitar inputs. You may have problems with monitoring when you use the simple interfaces, though... no speaker outputs in the most inexpensive usb cables and interfaces.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #831 on: January 20, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
thanks sir KitC for the lesson
so i can go for m-audio interface alone
can you recommend any? i want to record
guitar, bass, voice and the drum beats i guess
i can gets some with drum machine ..
thanks for the time ...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #832 on: January 20, 2012, 02:57:23 PM »
The M-audio Fast Track is probably the simplest way to go about it. There is also the Lexicon Alpha but I'm not so sure over its performance/latency issues. If you have more funds to go around, I'd say the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol or the Focusrite Saffire USB are very good options for the money (contact Forerunner/Music Source for the former and JB for the latter and M-audio interfaces).

Use Reaper as your DAW in the meantime but please try to pay for it eventually. It is great software that deserves user support.

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #833 on: January 20, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »
thanks sir KitC i'll keep everything in mind  :)

Offline cyberkamote

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #834 on: January 20, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Dami palang ok na USB Interfaces ang Roland- however I called Yupangco and all they have is the Octo-capture (or was it Octa)...

May iba pa bang distributor ng Roland here? Sakto yung Tri-Capture or yung UA-4FX ... how much kaya sa PH price ito?

la lang just venting out  :wink:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #835 on: January 21, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
May iba pa bang distributor ng Roland here?

If there are, I doubt you would get proper support and service. yupanks is the only authorized distro of Roland products here.

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #836 on: January 22, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
im having delay during recording
when i strum the string there'e a 3 sec. delay
before i actually hear the sound comes out on the speaker
is there any way to resolve this..
im using reaper..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #837 on: January 22, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
If you're still recording with onboard audio, then there's no easy way about this than to use asio4all driver. Do a net search.

Try to set your latency to the lowest possible setting before audio starts breaking up. The lower the latency, the higher the cpu loading so try to record dry (i.e., without plugins).

Offline punkasspunk

« Reply #838 on: January 22, 2012, 05:33:15 PM »
thanks sir kitc

Offline packyshingha

• Netizen Level
« Reply #839 on: January 29, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »
@kitC: Sir KitC, kasi po mixcraft ang software na gamit ko sa pagRerecording and Samson C01u naman ang mic na gamit ko.. Ask ko lang in terms of vocals, kasi default lang ung ginamit kong settings ng mixcraft.. may specific settings  ba na pangVocals like.

sample rate:
Number of Buffers:
bit dept:
buffer size:

sana po masagot nyo ang katanungan ko.. medyo advance po kasi config nya.thanks in advance..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:34:19 PM by packyshingha »

Offline ckor10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #840 on: January 29, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »
Gud evening po :-(.especially kay sir kitc .pa ask naman about phantom power!here's the case!(for example only) what if i have an audio interface :drool: ,let's say roland quad capture! then i turned on the phantom power on for a condenser mic -- channel 1 then i connect my guitar sa channel 2 !hnd po balanced ung cable wire(TRS) ah !wla kc akong guitar amp ! ung line out po mismo ng gitara! does phantom power can cause damage/s sa pick up ng gitara? :-P

#2 question ! Same set up po! interface/phantom power on, !input 1 -condenser mic (for ex AT2020) :cute: ,input 2 -Dynamic mic ( e.g. Sm57) :| . is there any damages that would be taken by the dynamic mic? :cry:

thanks po!salamat ng marami..... :wave:
Music is for everyone! lets listen to everyone!

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #841 on: January 30, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
Gud evening po :-(.especially kay sir kitc .pa ask naman about phantom power!here's the case!(for example only) what if i have an audio interface :drool: ,let's say roland quad capture! then i turned on the phantom power on for a condenser mic -- channel 1 then i connect my guitar sa channel 2 !hnd po balanced ung cable wire(TRS) ah !wla kc akong guitar amp ! ung line out po mismo ng gitara! does phantom power can cause damage/s sa pick up ng gitara? :-P

#2 question ! Same set up po! interface/phantom power on, !input 1 -condenser mic (for ex AT2020) :cute: ,input 2 -Dynamic mic ( e.g. Sm57) :| . is there any damages that would be taken by the dynamic mic? :cry:

thanks po!salamat ng marami..... :wave:

No damage.

Offline ckor10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #842 on: January 30, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

Offline ckor10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #843 on: January 30, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
Dami palang ok na USB Interfaces ang Roland- however I called Yupangco and all they have is the Octo-capture (or was it Octa)...

May iba pa bang distributor ng Roland here? Sakto yung Tri-Capture or yung UA-4FX ... how much kaya sa PH price ito?

la lang just venting out  :wink:

OO nga eh!wala pa clang inorder!!2mawag dn ako kanina octacapture lng meron! damn !! makakabili n sana ako quadcapture! anyways. ipon n lng ulit ako pang octa since  i'll use to record 2 or more instruments for jamming!!  :drool:

Offline packyshingha

• Netizen Level
« Reply #844 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
@kitC: Sir KitC, kasi po mixcraft ang software na gamit ko sa pagRerecording and Samson C01u naman ang mic na gamit ko.. Ask ko lang in terms of vocals, kasi default lang ung ginamit kong settings ng mixcraft.. may specific settings  ba na pangVocals like.

sample rate:
Number of Buffers:
bit dept:
buffer size:

sana po masagot nyo ang katanungan ko.. medyo advance po kasi config nya.thanks in advance..

Sana masagot po ito.. thanks mga master.. :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #845 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

sample rate:
Number of Buffers:
bit dept:
buffer size:

Nothing specific. Just pick a sample rate and set latency as low as your computer (and interface) will let you without breaking up. As for bit depth, I prefer to use 24-bit for the extra processing headroom, but 16-bit recording is fine. Don't worry about buffers and such and let the software use defaults unless you experience problems.

Offline packyshingha

• Netizen Level
« Reply #846 on: February 01, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
Nothing specific. Just pick a sample rate and set latency as low as your computer (and interface) will let you without breaking up. As for bit depth, I prefer to use 24-bit for the extra processing headroom, but 16-bit recording is fine. Don't worry about buffers and such and let the software use defaults unless you experience problems.

Sir KitC: Thank you po malaking tulong po yan.. sige po explore ko nlng about sa settings ko jan... Thank You po. :)

Offline ckor10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #847 on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »
ask naman po!Ok po kayang bumile sa mga music stores sa Raon? dami kc dun eh ! Hinde ko alam kung authorized! <_<

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #848 on: February 11, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
Hi guys,

Need your advise, Im planning to purchase a ALESIS io2 express and use it with my laptop, so can I indeed connect my guitar directly without any pre amps?

Thanks! :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #849 on: February 11, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
ask naman po!Ok po kayang bumile sa mga music stores sa Raon? dami kc dun eh ! Hinde ko alam kung authorized! <_<

There are several authorized shops in Raon... I think JB has a branch there. I'd stay away from really cheap gear though. Ika nga 'you never know what you gonna get'.