hulika

Author Topic: laptop or desktop?  (Read 3924 times)

Offline A.B

laptop or desktop?
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
ano maganda gamitin pag mag music editing ka? :?

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: laptop or desktop?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
between those two, pwede kahit na ano. unless gusto mo at kailangan na mobile yung music editing computer mo, then its a laptop. Go desktop if sa isang place mo naman gusto mag music-edit. Mas secure at cheaper in a way.  :wink:
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline A.B

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
anon laptop maganda and specs nya?

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:04:28 PM »
depende na from this point. kung music editing lang, no recording, kahit yung minimum requirements na lang ng software pwede na. but as always, it is advisable to spec-up the hardware, primarily the RAM then the processor speed para makakuha ng mas ok na performance.

“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:38:24 AM »
+1 on everything jamming papu said.

It's really up to you. These days, a laptop can be more future proof in case you intend to go out once in a while. It really depends on the purpose and what you exactly mean by "music editing."

Spec-wise, I'd always advise to get the highest spec possible for music applications so that you're sure that you can get your moneys worth since your laptop/desktop will be strong enough even in yrs to come.

But then again, if it's just basic editing, you don't need to go all out.

Offline rakabilly1985

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:06:08 AM »
Desktop :-D mas madaming pheriperals ma i kakabit mo at pang Multi Tasking talaga, yun nga lang iisang lugar lang.  :-D

sa Laptop naman, Medyo Pricey sya at alanganin sa Multi Tasking, Battery Operated kasi. very convinient naman kung sakaling mahilig kang umalis alis tsaka maliit monitor para sa Editing hehe... opinyon ko lang po...

korek si mam at sir  :-D

Offline Mr.Floyd

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:13:48 AM »
Desktop :-D mas madaming pheriperals ma i kakabit mo at pang Multi Tasking talaga, yun nga lang iisang lugar lang.  :-D

sa Laptop naman, Medyo Pricey sya at alanganin sa Multi Tasking, Battery Operated kasi. very convinient naman kung sakaling mahilig kang umalis alis tsaka maliit monitor para sa Editing hehe... opinyon ko lang po...

korek si mam at sir  :-D
+100000 :-)
The more you dream the more you achieve

Offline A.B

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:53:02 PM »
ano mas maganda macbook pro or acer?

Offline rakabilly1985

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:31 AM »
macbook kase bro BRAND binayaran mo dyan, opinyon ko lang ha, kung may budget ka sa macbook, eh kumuha ka nalang ng DELL na halos kasing presyo ng budget para sa MACBOOK mo, DELL for me pandurugan talaga hehehe... sunod na dyan mga MSI, ang gagandan ng SPECS ng mga bagong laptop ngayun kung may budget lang, Nakopoooo! HTH

Offline barracks01

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
kong laptop fanatic ka, and you need a good laptop rig for your music editing try this one:

Asus VX5-6X002Z

Display: 16" HD TFT (1366x768, Color-Shine)
CPU: Intel® Quad Core Processor Q9000 (2GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT130M, 1G DDRIII dedicated graphics memory
Storage: 1TB (500GBx2) (5400rpm)
Memory: 4096MB (2048x2) DDRIII 1066 RAM

but for me,  ok sa akin ang desktop very robust and madaling ei upgrade

Offline SAITOHAJIME

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
Kung ayaw mo ng bulky desktops, try mo yun HTPC cases. Para lang midrange Poweramps ang size nito or even smaller.  tapos mag on board video ka na lang (AMD790FX) at syempre LCD monitors.  :-)

Offline A.B

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
macbook kase bro BRAND binayaran mo dyan, opinyon ko lang ha, kung may budget ka sa macbook, eh kumuha ka nalang ng DELL na halos kasing presyo ng budget para sa MACBOOK mo, DELL for me pandurugan talaga hehehe... sunod na dyan mga MSI, ang gagandan ng SPECS ng mga bagong laptop ngayun kung may budget lang, Nakopoooo! HTH

anong dell pede ko tapat sa macbook pro?

Offline r0cb0y

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
anong dell pede ko tapat sa macbook pro?

alienware na fully loaded..  :-D pwede pang gaming.. meaning super fast and powerful..

about the macs.. there are some reasons why most of the pro's use mac.. its not actually the brand that youre paying for.. its the os.. leopard runs 64 bit natively.. which means more ram.. and a lot of producers use logic as their main sequencer or the tool they use to write their music because of its quick work flow.. and you could also do scores on logic.. and in europe they prefer logic over pro tools.. i dont know why.. but they prefer it over the "industry standard" pro tools..  and logic only runs on macs.. however.. the new windows 7 64 has kind of caught up to macs when it comes to media production..most of the vst and daw's have already released driver for the new windows 7 os.. again.. its up to you to decide which would be the right one for you.. if you want to use logic you definitely have to go mac.. most of the commonly used vst's and daw's are compatible with windows 7 already so you wouldn't have any problems if you would go for a windows based laptop..

another plus if you buy a macbook pro is it could run windows 7 via boot camp.. you could even use leopard and 7 at the same time if you want.. which means you can use any software you want to use.. the only downside the macs have is their price.. but if you're going to buy a laptop which is almost as expensive as the macs, i think that you should really consider at least taking a look at what macs can do.. another advantage that macs have over windows based pc is compatibility.. pro tools, nuendo and almost every software that the pro's use are compatible with macs.. although they are compatible with windows xp 32 also.. some of them are not compatible with some 64 bit windows os.. like vista and xp 64.. so if youre gonna be going for a windows based laptop.. windows 7 64 should be you're os..

this arguement is kind of a paradox.. there's really no right or wrong answers.. i think this will depend on you're budget and youre choice of software.. there's no down side if you choose one over the other they're both reliable and useful.. its all up to you..
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:51:39 PM by r0cb0y »

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
alienware na fully loaded..  :-D pwede pang gaming.. meaning super fast and powerful..

about the macs.. there are some reasons why most of the pro's use mac.. its not actually the brand that youre paying for.. its the os.. leopard runs 64 bit natively.. which means more ram.. and a lot of producers use logic as their main sequencer or the tool they use to write their music because of its quick work flow.. and you could also do scores on logic.. and in europe they prefer logic over pro tools.. i dont know why.. but they prefer it over the "industry standard" pro tools..  and logic only runs on macs.. however.. the new windows 7 64 has kind of caught up to macs when it comes to media production..most of the vst and daw's have already released driver for the new windows 7 os.. again.. its up to you to decide which would be the right one for you.. if you want to use logic you definitely have to go mac.. most of the commonly used vst's and daw's are compatible with windows 7 already so you wouldn't have any problems if you would go for a windows based laptop..

another plus if you buy a macbook pro is it could run windows 7 via boot camp.. you could even use leopard and 7 at the same time if you want.. which means you can use any software you want to use.. the only downside the macs have is their price.. but if you're going to buy a laptop which is almost as expensive as the macs, i think that you should really consider at least taking a look at what macs can do.. another advantage that macs have over windows based pc is compatibility.. pro tools, nuendo and almost every software that the pro's use are compatible with macs.. although they are compatible with windows xp 32 also.. some of them are not compatible with some 64 bit windows os.. like vista and xp 64.. so if youre gonna be going for a windows based laptop.. windows 7 64 should be you're os..

this arguement is kind of a paradox.. there's really no right or wrong answers.. i think this will depend on you're budget and youre choice of software.. there's no down side if you choose one over the other they're both reliable and useful.. its all up to you..

took the words out of my mouth :)

to say you're buying a brand in gettin a mac is really getting old and some pc users who say that haven't experienced working on a mac. Now before you react that I'm a die hard mac user, I own 2 pc laptops and have been known by my peers to be a die hard pc user. I switched ofer to a mac right before windows 7 and since it was still vista, I opted to go mac cuz I'd rather stay with xp. After shifting, I realized and asked myself why it took so long for me to switch. It's fast and very convenient. Workflow is exceptional. It's not just buying a mac but people forget the OS cuz people usually like to compare specs. Yes they may be the same or some pcs can be more powerful but one of the strengths of the mac is its os so also consider that.

At present, the mac is expensive thinking should actually be done and over with to some extent cuz there are PC laptops more expensive than mbp's. Heck my mac is cheaper than the hp laptop I bought a few yrs back!

So there, just another input for you :) and fwiw, I won't go back to pc anymore after my experience with a mac hehe

Offline rakabilly1985

• Netizen Level
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:25 AM »
if you have budget go for MAC or ALIEN WARE,
kung hindi naman

ETO trip ko 71600k php

Model      MSI GX620 Bluray Extreme
Processor    Intel Centrino2 Mobile Technology
Intel Core2 Duo P7350 2.0GHz
Chipset    Intel PM45 Express Chipset
WIFI    Intel Wifi Link 5100A/B/G-N
Operating System    Genuine Windows Vista Premium
Graphics    nVidia Geforce 9600GT 512MB VRAM DDR3
Display    15.4” WXGA TFT Display
Memory    4GB DDR2-800 Memory
Hard Drive    500GB SATA Hard Disk Drives
Optical Drive    Blu-Ray (BD-ROM+DVDRW) Combo drive
Features    2.0MP Webcam + AI Array MIC, Bluetooth,
HDMI, E-SATA, Firewire
One Touch Button Turbo Mode (over clocked)
Weight    2.7kg
Battery    Battery 6-cell
Includes    MSI Gamer’s Backpack Bag

MacBook Pro.
13-inch: 2.26GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo    
2GB Memory
160GB hard drive1    
SD card slot    
Built-in 7-hour battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics    

₱ 68,990.00

eto sir baka makatulong sayu, parehas 70k yan MSI and MACBOOK

tama si sir at mam... basta kung may budget GO lang ng GO!
kung masipag ka mag review ng gadgets na babagay sayo, im sure malalaman mo kung ano ang trip mo ORIGHT!

Offline A.B

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:22 AM »
ok thanks "BAKA" macbook pro nalng  upgraded ram

san pla po nakakabili ng alienware?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
As someone who uses both macs and pcs in the office, I can give you some insights.

Macs went truly 64-bit with Snow Leopard, prior to that, Leopard (OSX 10.5) wasn't truly 64-bit and even some applications like Logic didn't go 64-bit until recently. What irritates me about OSX is that you pay for any point upgrade, even within the same OS version. For example, when OSX Leopard went to Snow Leopard, it was a paid upgrade. Another thing that personally irks me about OSX is that there is no easy way to tweak the OS - you have to learn linux and tweak via the command console... and I've left my C training some years ago so I'm more than just rusty with my Unix.

In any event, 64-bit is only necessary if you need to address lots of ram, and with audio, that's not really necessary, unless you are editing files larger than 2 GB. If you do huge sample libraries, then you need the most ram you can get your hands on. Video editing also benefits from lots of ram. Another thing to consider is the software you will use to edit audio. Aside from Logic and Digital Performer for the mac, you are limited to Bias Peak and some other soft I can't remember right now.

Like I always advise to others... let the software you are going to use direct you on which hardware you will need.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline r0cb0y

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »
mr kitc is right.. the amount ram that you would need depends on how you work and what you're working with.. for me.. personally.. whenever i'm writing or making beats.. i always start with midi first since all the sound sources i have are softsythns.. most of the time i use 7 to 10 or more vst's all at the same time.. that does not include the samples that i use.. so to save some cpu and memory.. whenever i have an 8 bar loop of sumtin that i wanna work with.. i always convert it to audio without any changes in the dynamics.. meaning dry.. use all those stems and start my arranging and sequencing from there.. that saves a lot of memory and cpu for me..so to give you an idea of how i work.. i run fl studio inside ableton as my drum machine or drum module.. and i run vst's like kore and sampletank in side fl for midi purposes.. (i find it easier to program midi inside fl).. and after i come up with an 8 bar loop that i like.. i would record the dry audio signals of all those vst's into ableton live close fl and do my edits and arranging inside ableton.. the only thing that eats my memory is all the duplicates of the stems.. cause so far i dont know how to create a stereo track in ableton.. or.. if it is possible to create a stereo track in ableton.. most of the time i only use 800 to 1gb of memory when im doing simple edits.. and most of the time the i only use around 20 - 30% cpu usage.. so to make a long story short.. you don't need a very powerful computer to do simple production.. instead of buying a very expensive computer.. try investing you money on a decent interface or a decent pair of monitors.. it would be more practical that way.. also take in to consideration that high performance laptops eats more battery.. you would have less time to work with them unplugged than regular laptops... one of the reasons why macs have longer battery life.. is because of the hardware configuration.. they dont have the fastest cpu and ram but the hardware they use is more than enough to run multiple media production softwares.. thats one thing to consider if you want a superfast pc laptop .. go buy a desktop instead.. cause i bet that those quad core laptops have no more that 4 hours of battery life in them so you're like carrying a desktop too.. if you want to work with a laptop.. go buy sumtin that's powerful enough but not too much.. if you want freedom from cpu and battery limitations and if you want upgradability and flexibility go buy a powerful desktop with a very good motherboard.. it would be more practical that way.. i was just kidding with the alienware..  :-D they could cost more than a macbook pro depending on the configuration.. and i dont know if dell is selling those here in the philippines.. so.. again... decide first which software you want to use.. and then look at the their system requirements and then decide which one is right for you.. and always remember to look at the compatibility of the softwares you choose to work with..

oh.. by the way.. i could do all those things i said using a 1.6 gh single core cpu and 2 gb of ram.. and i still have some room to add more stuff.. so you do the the math.. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:45:55 PM by r0cb0y »

Offline A.B

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
oo nga parang mahal nga ung alienware :-D

pag bumili ka ba ng brand new na macbook pro pede ba gawin windows OS nun?
parang hirap kasi ako dun sa OS ng mac

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:08 AM »
oo nga parang mahal nga ung alienware :-D

pag bumili ka ba ng brand new na macbook pro pede ba gawin windows OS nun?
parang hirap kasi ako dun sa OS ng mac

like all softwares, it'll take a little getting used to. If you're gonna get into audio editing you have to be prepared to learn a lot of stuff :) if difficulty with an OS is already something you're concerned about, then you might want to get into something else hehe

Offline r0cb0y

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 02:36:32 AM »
what the point of getting a mac if you're gonna use windows on it..  :-D

to make this really simple for you, since you sound like you're new to this stuff, if you want to use logic or digital performer go get a mac, if you want to use anything else then try it first on a windows based laptop or pc.. most of the daw's and vst's today have driver's released on windows 7 so compatibility isn't an issue.. like i said before.. it depends on your software of choice.. since you're saying that you are not familiar with leopard.. i guess you haven't had much time trying out what a mac could do.. so i guess the best thing for to do now is to try the demos of the softwares that are available for a windows based pc.. if you know someone who has a mac that has logic and other mac exclusive programs on it .. try it from their mac..  its not really about the choice of os.. it's about the softwares that you want to work with..

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
Dell technician here. as far as i know, no alienware in this country....  :-D
i saw an xps 1330 in sm north edsa annex 2 - 3 (?) months back. thats the top of the line back then. not sure whats up for sale now. what i do know is there is no direct technical support for units in the islands...
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
ano maganda gamitin pag mag music editing ka? :?

laptop if you'll move a lot.  desktop pag pirmi ka lang sa isang puesto.

mac vs pc? pili ka ng software na gusto mo, then use the OS for that. i still use both though. may different strengths and weaknesses kasi depend sa workflow mo.  gusto ko gamitin yun mac when i'm writin stuff and scorin, but use teh pc for recordin and masterin, usually.  but i still switch things around.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline rakabilly1985

• Netizen Level
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:37 AM »
Dell technician here. as far as i know, no alienware in this country....  :-D
i saw an xps 1330 in sm north edsa annex 2 - 3 (?) months back. thats the top of the line back then. not sure whats up for sale now. what i do know is there is no direct technical support for units in the islands...

hey what's the secret recipe of DELL? gandang ganda talaga ako sa Laptop nyu at Tibay na tibay, Imagine may Customer ako nag pa ayos ng DELL Laptop 600mhz lang yung laptop nya until now buhay pa din.. installed Windows XP Pro SP3 with Vista theme, e pumapalag padin. what more yung mga New Models nyu,..  :-D HTH...

i'm sure bro, Windows based muna ang Enrty ng laptop mo since Newbie ka sa field, upgrade later pag gamay mo na diba? i'm sure habang tumatagal iiba din taste ng needs mo, pero kung nasanay kana sa user friendly ng Windows XP, i think na mag Stick ka, or even buy the Legit Software  :-D