hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296736 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #625 on: November 09, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
Paano yun sir kung mic in lang? Balak sana magrecord ng mga simpleng tracks ng friend ko kaso mic-in lang meron yung laptop niya.

Check in the audio control panel or mixer applet if the input is switchable between mic in and line in. Most newer mobos and laptops have configurable I/O or automatic sensing inputs.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
Check in the audio control panel or mixer applet if the input is switchable between mic in and line in. Most newer mobos and laptops have configurable I/O or automatic sensing inputs.
Ah gets!!! Ok sir ayus!!! :-D

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #627 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
Sir Kit ok lang ba na gumamit ng 7200rpm na SATA na external hardisk for recording?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #628 on: November 11, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
Sir Kit ok lang ba na gumamit ng 7200rpm na SATA na external hardisk for recording?

Depends on the bus protocol you are using to pass data to the hard disk.

If you are using a USB2 enclosure, I don't recommend it, but the newer USB3.0 bus looks extremely promising. A very mature interface/enclosure is firewire, with firewire 800 giving you more track capability; firewire 400 can still hold it's own but I've read of some restrictions on number of tracks during recording. If the enclosure does eSATA, then it's like having the HD connected internally to the computer's pcie bus, which is very fast and excellent for recording.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #629 on: November 12, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »

galing ni sir kitC hindi lang pang recording pcng hardwares din :-)
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #630 on: November 17, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
Hey everyone. I plan to at least have a decent home recording set-up, and I found some tips on the internet. Anyway, gagana ba ng okay ang ganitong set-up?

Mixer + Mic Preamp + Audio Interface  --> A decent laptop for recording

Siyempre may monitors din sa equation.

Anyway, I'm looking at some of Behringer's mid level products for this project. Will that be okay? Thanks for any help!

:lol: :lol:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #631 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
There are 2 possible ways you can go about this: one is to get individual parts such as a mixer (some models have preamps already) and a separate interface for flexibility; or you could get a mixer with a built in audio interface such as the mackie (or phonic) usb or firewire mixers.

Each has his advantages and disadvantages. The former means having a lot of individual gear to power up along with the necessary cable interconnects, while the latter means only one piece of gear to lug around. The downside of the combined mixer/interface route is that if it goes down, then your recording setup is compromised.

What you should think about is how many inputs you will require then decide on the interface. Some audio interfaces now include mic preamps so that means one less piece of gear. Of course, the more inputs you require, the more expensive the interface.

One more thing... make sure your laptop (or pc) is up to the job. The requirements for audio are not as stringent for video, but you still need a relatively powerful laptop and sufficient RAM and HD space. Another thing is the amount of usb or firewire ports in the laptop. USB2 is the better choice for most interfaces, but some laptops don't have usb2 ports, so choose wisely. Also, don't forget that the DAW software determines what kind of computer you will use. No point in getting a windows based laptop if you intend to run Logic or Digital Performer on it.

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #632 on: November 17, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
There are 2 possible ways you can go about this: one is to get individual parts such as a mixer (some models have preamps already) and a separate interface for flexibility; or you could get a mixer with a built in audio interface such as the mackie (or phonic) usb or firewire mixers.

Each has his advantages and disadvantages. The former means having a lot of individual gear to power up along with the necessary cable interconnects, while the latter means only one piece of gear to lug around. The downside of the combined mixer/interface route is that if it goes down, then your recording setup is compromised.

What you should think about is how many inputs you will require then decide on the interface. Some audio interfaces now include mic preamps so that means one less piece of gear. Of course, the more inputs you require, the more expensive the interface.

One more thing... make sure your laptop (or pc) is up to the job. The requirements for audio are not as stringent for video, but you still need a relatively powerful laptop and sufficient RAM and HD space. Another thing is the amount of usb or firewire ports in the laptop. USB2 is the better choice for most interfaces, but some laptops don't have usb2 ports, so choose wisely. Also, don't forget that the DAW software determines what kind of computer you will use. No point in getting a windows based laptop if you intend to run Logic or Digital Performer on it.

Thanks! Ok ba ang behringer? or at least, decent?  :-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #633 on: November 17, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
Thanks! Ok ba ang behringer? or at least, decent?  :-)

It's a mixed bag with Behringer. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're lemons, often on the latter for most people. All I can say is... you get what you pay for.

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #634 on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
ser kit tanong po ulit.. I've finally tried to record my drums using my konzert mixer connected to my laptop using audiacity at mejo satisfied naman po ako sa tunog, i used 1 generic mic as over head lang po..

my question is, pano ko po macoconvert yung audio file format na output ng audiacity to other file format like mp3??thanks ulit..  :-D
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #635 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »
Audacity can write to wav. Check your recording/export settings.

Offline plitipiw40315

• Veteran Member
« Reply #636 on: January 03, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
Audacity can write to wav. Check your recording/export settings.

ok ser salamat ulit!!  :-D
...drummers are good ROLL models...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #637 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
my question is, pano ko po macoconvert yung audio file format na output ng audiacity to other file format like mp3??thanks ulit..  :-D

hanapin mo yung lame encoder binaries (dll lang yun) tapos copy sya sa audacity folder mo. magkakaron ka na ng option to export directly to mp3

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #638 on: January 04, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »
hanapin mo yung lame encoder binaries (dll lang yun) tapos copy sya sa audacity folder mo. magkakaron ka na ng option to export directly to mp3

Good one, peeves! Haven't tried that myself. Then again, I use Sonar and Razorlame.

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #639 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:50 PM »
whoah thanks sir for answering my queries. Unfortunately my netbook only accomodates 1 input (mic in) only.

@jason, tried this myself, kaya yan kung me line-in ang soundcard. taasan mo lang yung settings mo sa G1x, tweak a patch to your liking then try hearing through a headset before recording

sabit lang talaga ang G1x pag narecord mo na kasi matalim masyado ang tunog lalo na pag direct in line, and malayo sa organic sound ng amp.

kung wla ka line in, i use the behringer UCA202 and it works.
trust is a two-way street.
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=261676.msg3569829#msg3569829
work w/: boomboom, kul

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #640 on: January 11, 2011, 09:13:38 PM »
Dear sir KitC:

Please help me understand how to make my Amplitube 3 work.

I have plugged in my guitar through USB interface Behringer UCA202, opened up Amplitube and still I am getting a clean tone. I tried tweaking the MIDI settings but to no avail.

Tried googling and finding resources through youtube but it seems noone can explain to me whats wrong.

Regards,
erniepaj

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #641 on: January 12, 2011, 04:44:15 AM »
eto po not connected daw..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #642 on: January 12, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
You have to assign inputs from within asio4all. I think the relevant input should have a check mark or something - can't exactly remember since I have no need for asio4all at this time. Looking at the asio4all website, the active I/O are in blue. Clicking on the button should toggle an input or output on or off. Choose the UCA as one of the inputs. (Isn't the UCA a line input device? Plugging your guitar directly to it will give you a rather anemic tone.)

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #643 on: January 12, 2011, 06:17:24 PM »
You have to assign inputs from within asio4all. I think the relevant input should have a check mark or something - can't exactly remember since I have no need for asio4all at this time. Looking at the asio4all website, the active I/O are in blue. Clicking on the button should toggle an input or output on or off. Choose the UCA as one of the inputs. (Isn't the UCA a line input device? Plugging your guitar directly to it will give you a rather anemic tone.)

hi kitC thanks.
UCA has a USB connection to PC and two RCA ports I used to plug into a splitter that goes to the output of Zoom G1x.
I want to get rid of G1x so is it proper to replace a mixer on that part, where the axe is plugged.

i get a clean signal though when i plug my guitar to UCA202 then to USB port of my pc.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #644 on: January 13, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »
i get a clean signal though when i plug my guitar to UCA202 then to USB port of my pc.

Yes the signal is clean, but it is not optimzed for the proper impedance, which will often rob your tone of body as well as gain. Cranking up the volume often will lead to nasty feedback surprises where they aren't needed.

The best course of action is to use the G1x in bypass and connect it's line/headphone out to the UCA's RCA inputs. This will ensure proper impedance matching from guitar to UCA. You can also use an inexpensive preamp like those of the ART Studio series or Behri MIC200 to connect the guitar to the UCA.

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #645 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Yes the signal is clean, but it is not optimzed for the proper impedance, which will often rob your tone of body as well as gain. Cranking up the volume often will lead to nasty feedback surprises where they aren't needed.

The best course of action is to use the G1x in bypass and connect it's line/headphone out to the UCA's RCA inputs. This will ensure proper impedance matching from guitar to UCA. You can also use an inexpensive preamp like those of the ART Studio series or Behri MIC200 to connect the guitar to the UCA.

thanks. will try bypass mode first. got an idea how much a behringer M IC200 will cost?

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »
thanks. will try bypass mode first. got an idea how much a behringer M IC200 will cost?

hi kitC, i tried from axe to amp direct to direct line-in... i sampled a recording, and i want to get rid of some noise. can i ask you to analyze how to get rid of the the noise? it is mostly scratches i hear i dunno if those are the connecting cables.

never mind the playing... im lousy at it....

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=aZjPWy

thanks.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:08:27 AM by erniepaj »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #647 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »
I hear amp noise which could be due to your single coil pups located near a source of electrical noise such as a flourescent lamp or your monitor, if it's a CRT. If using a CRT, try turning it off during recording. Also try to rotate 90 degrees from your present recording position and see if that helps.

Offline erniepaj

« Reply #648 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:30 PM »
I hear amp noise which could be due to your single coil pups located near a source of electrical noise such as a flourescent lamp or your monitor, if it's a CRT. If using a CRT, try turning it off during recording. Also try to rotate 90 degrees from your present recording position and see if that helps.

could be the small lamp in front of me, mate. its LCD monitor so i doubt its the screen. thanks - will try that though.

Offline ogagka0606

• Veteran Member
« Reply #649 on: January 26, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
tanong ko lang, paano ko mababawasan yung noise sa condenser mic? nagttry kasi ako magrecord sa room ko, gamit ko tapco link usb at cad gxl2200, may parang "hiss" lagi kahit wala namang ingay?