hulika

Author Topic: Acer 6920G vs. HP DV5-1036  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
Acer 6920G vs. HP DV5-1036
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »
Hi guys, I've finally narrowed down my choices for a new desktop replacement laptop  :-D Patulong naman po....

Acer Aspire 6920G Super Notebook Computer
http://www.laptopking.com.ph/controller.do?action=singleproduct&productid=4390

Intel® Centrino®2 Processor Technology (Montevina): HP DV5
http://www.laptopking.com.ph/controller.do?action=singleproduct&productid=4549

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
Re: Acer 6920G vs. HP DV5-1036
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:03 AM »
Greeting Pfizer,

I've had my Acer Aspire 6920G for three months now and I use it mainly for development work so I got Visual Studio 2008, Visual FoxPro and SQL Server installed. Was supposed to install NeverWinter Nights 2, but I never got around it (I love AD&D games). The development tools run smoothly since the notebook is outfitted with a 2.4Ghz Core 2 processor. The OS that came with the notebook is Vista Ultimate 32 bit. If you can get the 64 bit version so much the better so the OS the can "see" the full 4GB memory. Also it has Blu-ray and a full 1080p screen. All in all I am very happy with the notebook.

The HP looks good. You have a Blu-Ray device but the screen is limited to a 1200x800 resolution and that doesn't translate to a full HD screen. I think it's 720p instead of 1080p. You can get around it by connecting to an external HD LCD though.

What will be your primary use of the notebook? If games, the Acer has a slightly better video card. For office work, both will perform quite well.

One more thing, I got my Acer for less than 90K.

Peace.

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:31 AM »
I'm going to be using it mostly for net surfing, maybe watching movies, konting games. I do most of my gaming on consoles eh.

Any heating issues sir? I tend to leave my laptop running for long periods of time, especially when I'm DLing something.

Finally, where can I get it?

Salamat po sa response niyo sir!

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 07:35:38 PM »
Greetings Pfizer,

If you are going use the notebook for surfing, definitely the HP and Acer will be more than enough. The Acer has the advantage of getting you the 1080p resolution for your BluRay viewing pleasure. I forgot to mention that the Acer might be heavier than the HP since the Acer sports a 16" LCD. I haven't had any heating problems so far. The room I work in is warm and software development takes a lot of time.

I got my notebook(s) and desktop(s) at Makati Microshop. They sell both HP and Acer.

MAKATI MICROSHOP
G-25 Valero St. Salcedo Village, Makati City, MNL
p: (02) 816.6333  f: (02) 819.1738

Look for Edith Suzara. She can advice you on other models and she's the owner of the shop. Just mention my name - Ricky Pagdanganan.

Hope you find the notebook you are looking for.

Peace and God Bless.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:38:28 PM by GuitarFox »

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:57:20 AM »
Salamat po ng marami sir  :-D It's really hard to find a desktop replacement laptop in the Philippines that's future-proof, like the two-models I mentioned.

On a side note though, does Makati Microshop sell Toshiba models as well? Another option I'm considering is the Toshiba Qosmio G55. It's got an 18' screen and it can run World of Warcraft smoothly. It costs about as much as the two other models, the only problem is its lack of a Blu-Ray drive.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2329918,00.asp

If you have any opinions on the matter, I'd greatly appreciate it  :-)

Offline GuitarFox

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:10:24 AM »
Greeting Pfizer,

Last I checked Microshop does carry Toshiba notebooks. As for the particular model, please call them up at 817-9353 and look for Edith Suzara or Beth (Sorry, I forgot her surname). Don't forget to mention my name. They have experience with clients who purchase game notebooks.

Let me know what you choose. It's exciting to get new gear (and expensive)    :-D

Peace.