hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296764 times)

Offline rrmode1

• Veteran Member
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #675 on: March 26, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
I have a roland vs-100. What more do I need to record a full 4-piece band? :lol:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #676 on: March 26, 2011, 10:49:14 AM »
I have a roland vs-100. What more do I need to record a full 4-piece band? :lol:

The VS100 only has 2 mic preamps so...

what more will you need? off the top of my head, you will require:

2 to 4 more mic preamps (assuming a 4 mic drum setup plus 2 mics for lead and backup vox), or OCTACAPTURE as Roland tempts you with
2 to 6 mics and cables to go with those mics and preamps
DI boxes for guitars plus associated cabling (XLR/TRS)
a slew of TR/TRS cables
heaphones for everyone and a headphone distribution amp
and finally, a good room to record in.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #677 on: April 07, 2011, 12:52:21 AM »
^^ Saan ba sir nakakabili ng cable na TRS to XLR?

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #678 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »
hindi ko madetermine kung san galing yung hiss na to...

http://soundcloud.com/ckyanacky/what-the-hiss
(listen to it using earphones/headphones)

pag nakadirecta ako wala naman ganyan...pag nagrerecord or pinapakinggan ko yung ginagawa ko wala naman ganyan...pag nakarecord na at nagplayback, ayan ang resulta...

power supply? grounding? patch/guitar/amp cables? faulty pedals?  :? :|

baka naencounter nyo na yang ganyang tunog dati, patulong naman...  :oops:

Offline powghi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2011, 05:48:18 AM »
Mge sir, pa help naman po. . . Balak ko po sana mag home recording.
Specs:
 Athlon II x2 250
 gigabyte 780g
 2gb ddr2 800
 hd4670
 win7
but then i get a delayed sound using my onboard sound card in mixcraft 5.2 and amplitube 3
balak ko po sana i dispose na lang yung videocard para makabili ng soundcard. other than that ano pa po bang hardware o software needed for home recordin? tsaka whats best soundcard for my pc using mixcraft and amplitube TIA!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
hindi ko madetermine kung san galing yung hiss na to...

I recall answering this post... strange.

Sounds like you're using single coil pups. Either change the orientation of your playing or check your cables. Are you using a CRT?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #681 on: May 05, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
I recall answering this post... strange.

Sounds like you're using single coil pups. Either change the orientation of your playing or check your cables. Are you using a CRT?

baka paulit-ulit lang kasi yung tanong ko  :lol: i'm sorry, seems like everyday a different issue pops out of the box... :-D

sorry sir, what's a CRT? sorry noob :-)

i'm using a humbucker equipped hollowbody (bridge pickup, rolled all the way up, amp eq between 1-2 o'clock bass, treble, mid, mic'd with an "SM57 beta"), but i don't think the problem's from the guitar anyway; as i said, kasi pag directa wala naman hiss...
cables are somehow fine. checked them one by one (even the patch cables) guitar>interface, guitar>amp, guitar>effects>amp, guitar>effects>board...lumalabas yung ingay pag dumaan na ako sa pedals and/or amp... :|

i suspect therefore that the problem lies in the grounding of the house...pero hindi ko alam solusyonan... :| yep i already backread, pero puro semento kasi yung paligid ko kaya hindi ko din matusukan ng grounding rod or something.... :oops:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #682 on: May 05, 2011, 03:36:58 PM »
CRT - Cathode Ray Tube; the older type of monitors that aren't LCD.

The noise I'm hearing is definitely electrical. Aside from the CRT, look for other sources such as fluorescent lights, transformers and proximity to TVs. If your audio cables are running parallel with electrical wires, try to separate them by 1 meter and if ever they must cross, always do at a 90 degree angle to each other.

With your cables, check the jacks... they may be a bit dirty. Try cleaning them with alcohol or lighter fluid.

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #683 on: May 05, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »
CRT - Cathode Ray Tube; the older type of monitors that aren't LCD.

The noise I'm hearing is definitely electrical. Aside from the CRT, look for other sources such as fluorescent lights, transformers and proximity to TVs. If your audio cables are running parallel with electrical wires, try to separate them by 1 meter and if ever they must cross, always do at a 90 degree angle to each other.

With your cables, check the jacks... they may be a bit dirty. Try cleaning them with alcohol or lighter fluid.

will do sir, thanks!...

by the way, i'm using a laptop to record..oldskool laptop but of course it's lcd...hehe

so what you are trying to say sir is that, basically, all electrical devices, especially those plugged in the same outlet as my amp/board are the culprits, in addition to the crossed wires and all that stuff....

well isang malaking problema ko e maliit lang apartment ko and i only have one outlet with 2 female plugs, one is unused and the other is plugged with a 5-outlet switchable extension (fused)...the extension is loaded with another extension cord, electronic thing that wards of rats, amp, and 2 are free...so yep there's a big possibility that any of those is causing the unwanted noise in the output...i'll see what i can do  :-D

so goodluck nalang sakin...hehe

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #684 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »
Since you're using a laptop, try recording on batteries only. Laptop power supplies (the power bricks) are notoriously noisy electrical-wise.

Offline cky

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #685 on: May 06, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »
Since you're using a laptop, try recording on batteries only. Laptop power supplies (the power bricks) are notoriously noisy electrical-wise.

might just try using another laptop...my primitive machine won't actually work without the powersupply.. :-D

anyway thanks again sir...will keep you posted if ever there's a development... :-)

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #686 on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
Sir what do you mean by "power bricks"?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #687 on: May 09, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
They're called power bricks because they look like there's a black brick along the power cord. Others call them 'lump-in-the-line'. The other variation is the adapter type which they call 'wall warts' because of the way they look like when plugged into a wall socket.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #688 on: May 10, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
So kung notoriously noisy yung mga "power bricks" eh yung laptop ko and audio interface ko sir is "power bricks" yung psu nila edi maingay talaga yun tama ba? May naririnig akong super konting fizz sa audio interface ko pero nawawala na kapag may kasabay nang audio eh.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #689 on: May 11, 2011, 09:49:15 AM »
The fizz will always be there and will especially become prominent if you add compression to the track or normalize to a higher db level. I normally do not like using noise reduction software in these instances since it usually affects the recorded sound if done improperly. Like I said earlier, try recording while using batteries.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #690 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
^^ Thanks sir Kit!!  :-D

Offline ston3d_j

« Reply #691 on: May 23, 2011, 01:54:57 AM »
Hi Sirs,

I am currently setting up a small home recording studio.  Not high end ones but some sort of making my own songs.  i have an ext m-audio fast track pro and i like the sound of my guitar coming off my amplifier.  However, my problem is my m-audio nova is not picking up that chunk/fat guitar sound coming off my amp thru the condenser microphone.  same thing goes when i record my bass tracks.  is a condenser microphone good enough to pick up the sound or a dynamic microphone is much better?  i've read reviews that m-audio nova works best for vocals, percussions and acoustic guitar.  darn, this home recording stuff is pretty pricey! haha! anyways, i hope you could help me out on this one.

Thanks!
what you are, as i was... what i am, you will be...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #692 on: May 23, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »
You should be able to capture sufficient bass frequencies since the nova has a relatively larger diaphragm than most mics. It sometimes is a matter of placement. You might have to move the mic around until you hit the sweet spot.

Sometimes that fat guitar sound is obtained by double tracking. I've heard of a particular technique where the upper 3 strings were first recorded followed by the lower 3 strings on another track. Each track was then eq'd to taste.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #693 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »
You should be able to capture sufficient bass frequencies since the nova has a relatively larger diaphragm than most mics. It sometimes is a matter of placement. You might have to move the mic around until you hit the sweet spot.

Sometimes that fat guitar sound is obtained by double tracking. I've heard of a particular technique where the upper 3 strings were first recorded followed by the lower 3 strings on another track. Each track was then eq'd to taste.
Nice!!! Ok na ok yung technique na yan lalu na kung acoustic lang. Like Vocals and acoustic guitar lang yung isang song. :-D

Offline 123kidd

« Reply #694 on: May 23, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
Mga sir pautulong naman po, merun po akong Presonus Firestudio, 2 channels lang po na rerecord nya? Im using Cubase po sir, and i tried everything sir, 2 channels lang po tlga ang kaya, sa firewire card po kaya ang problema? or sa chipset ko? my os po is windows 7, should i try po ba sa windows xp? any comment po ay sobra ko pong maapreciate.. salamat po ng madami. God bless po sa lahat

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #695 on: May 23, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
I don't have LE4 but did you check your VST Connections and device setup? Aside from enabling inputs and outputs, you have to make them 'visible' in older incarnations of Cubase.

Offline 123kidd

« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
Yes sir i made them visible, still 2 inputs lang po narerecord, hmmm sa pc po kaya problema sir? salamat po ulit ng madami sir

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #697 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of vst connections and device setup?

Offline 123kidd

« Reply #698 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »
Sure sir .

Device Set up http://www.flickr.com/photos/63212474@N03/5753863631/
Vst Connections http://www.flickr.com/photos/63212474@N03/5753863791/

Thanks po ullit ng madami sir, God bless you po

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #699 on: May 25, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
How about the firestudio's control panel? The vst connections look ok but i feel something's missing.