hulika

Author Topic: Benefit concert for a blues bro...  (Read 31790 times)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Benefit concert for a blues bro...
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »

hope y'all like it.  :lol:

EDIT: new layout.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »
Nice layout and concept!

May I just add my two cents? .. Joric, don't you think it would be better if there's a short blurb in there about who Egay is?

I'm just thinking ... People who see the poster for the first time would probably think, "uhh, who's egay imperio and why are they holding a benefit concert for him?"
"No static at all ..."

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2006, 07:31:57 AM »
good point. i think alwyn suggested that too pero i neglected to give him inputs.  

alwyn - you got mail!  

tnx.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2006, 09:39:35 PM »
okay... i'll put in the other details later after studying crim law. that makes the printing date, tomorrow, wednesday, 07/05/06. :)

i just dnt knw how dissemination would be in that case but will i email the file ASAP, i.e., after i finish the layout. maybe you guys could provide the initial printouts and i'll come up with printouts of my own and give it to you on the night of the 6th. :D

btw, OT: share ko lang just to get it off my chest.. got my first bokya sa Statutory Construction. Bwakanabits kasing consti law yan, ang haba na nung txt book chapters, may cases pa. first quiz kasi sa consti law kaya dun ako nagfocus... nakasagot naman ako pero we have yet to see the results. sana pasado.  :lol:

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »
I'm sure your efforts are well-appreciated by your blues brothers, af ...

We do appreciate your going out on a limb to do this, especially working on such short notice ..

Worse comes to worst, at least, pasado ka naman sa Marshall Law ...  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2006, 03:12:31 AM »
Walang problema. Anything for a blues bro.  :lol:

New layout:

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2006, 03:51:17 AM »
Saya naman nito, lipat nalng siguro akong Manila para makasali naman sa inyo :cry:

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2006, 11:47:21 AM »
Quote from: af_villaruel
okay... i'll put in the other details later after studying crim law. that makes the printing date, tomorrow, wednesday, 07/05/06. :)

i just dnt knw how dissemination would be in that case but will i email the file ASAP, i.e., after i finish the layout. maybe you guys could provide the initial printouts and i'll come up with printouts of my own and give it to you on the night of the 6th. :D

btw, OT: share ko lang just to get it off my chest.. got my first bokya sa Statutory Construction. Bwakanabits kasing consti law yan, ang haba na nung txt book chapters, may cases pa. first quiz kasi sa consti law kaya dun ako nagfocus... nakasagot naman ako pero we have yet to see the results. sana pasado.  :lol:

no problem, alwyn. kami lang naman nakikisuyo. anyway, there are 3 dates sa benefit gigs and i'm not too worried about our info dissemination for tomorrow kasi ang tagal na nakapost yan tapos si perf may hakot pa na fans/buyers ng cd.  we have enuff time to disseminate for the next 2 gigs naman.

sensya na talaga at naistorbo pagaaral mo...  bayaan mo pag bumagsak ka, magpapabenefit din tayo para sa yo. joke! :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »
BTW, for tomorrow, July 6, Conspiracy, we have 2 special guests:

Anton Atengco (psychic_sushi)...  a monster blues/jazz/rock/fusion player!  
Perf de Castro... nuff said!

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »
galing ni alwyn.  ayus poster bro :D

kuya jor, baka may pedeng magdala ng bass amp?  otherwise, dala ko yung sansamp ko, pero bassists, bring your battery kasi i will use my power supply din :D   dala ko din royal

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2006, 03:26:31 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
galing ni alwyn.  ayus poster bro :D

kuya jor, baka may pedeng magdala ng bass amp?  otherwise, dala ko yung sansamp ko, pero bassists, bring your battery kasi i will use my power supply din :D   dala ko din royal

ni-request ko na kay lolo lito yung bass amp. "Acoustc" head daw dalin nya, n a 2x12 cab.  pwede na?

as a fail-safe, fafa JC is also bringing his Behringer Bass DI.

si fafa jordan naman yung cymbals!

ayus!!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2006, 06:02:46 PM »
I like the psychedelic vibe of that new layout!!! Great work af!

And mas bagay sa kanya yung art concept ...  :)

Thanks for putting in that short blurb about him as well ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2006, 07:46:44 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim
BTW, for tomorrow, July 6, Conspiracy, we have 2 special guests:

Anton Atengco (psychic_sushi)...  a monster blues/jazz/rock/fusion player!  
Perf de Castro... nuff said!

Good grief dude! you put MY name on top of Perf's! I'm not worthy at all, nor as special!!! gulp... :( perhaps as espesyal as siopao or longganisa gets...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2006, 09:32:33 PM »
Think of this benefit concert also as a fitting tribute to the last performance of B.B. King. In the news:

"B.B. King and his guitar Lucille, on a final tour in Europe, has bid an emotional farewell to fans at the Montreux Jazz Festival, where the "King of Blues" has performed for more than 20 years.

Now 80 and suffering from diabetes, he was joined on stage by a host of performers at the end of Monday night's concert in the resort town along Lake Geneva.

Singers Gladys Knight, Barbara Hendricks, Randy Crawford and Leela James, jazz guitarists John McLaughlin and Stanley Clarke, keyboarders Joe Sample and George Duke, and saxophonist David Sanborn paid tribute to the King of Blues.

Some 100 groups are taking part in the two-week event -- including Santana, Sting, Black Eyed Peas and  Diana Krall -- which draws 250,000 music fans of all ages from across Europe.

Deep Purple, whose 1970s hit "Smoke on the Water" describes a concert fire raging in Montreux, is returning to the lakeside resort to close the festival on July 15."
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2006, 12:49:38 AM »
Joric,

Here's the Manila Bulletin press release ..  :)

I'm surprised they used it for their online version. You see, they usually post by-lined articles, but seldom use press releases. We're lucky coz this means more readers (even those abroad) and better chances of word getting around for your subsequent gigs.

http://www.mb.com.ph/ENTR2006070668582.html

As for Inquirer, they might release it at a later date na lang daw .. hopefully still early enough for the other shows ..

It's D-Day today! Good luck to you guys!

Personally, it's heart-warming to realize the fruition of this venture. You owe yourself a pat on the back, bro .. If you can do this for Egay or for other noble causes, you can take it even higher and dream bigger ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2006, 02:21:38 AM »
it just occurred to me.. the very first project of PINOYBLUES.ORG.

not bad... not bad at all.  :lol:

btw, di nman sha istorbo, dont worry.  :lol:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2006, 07:54:54 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
I like the psychedelic vibe of that new layout!!! Great work af!

And mas bagay sa kanya yung art concept ...  :)

Thanks for putting in that short blurb about him as well ..

+1... i'm so happy w/ alwyn's poster lalo na  matagal pa natin gagamitin ito since aug 5 yung final gig.

deacon blues - thanks din sa yo for the timely and well placed media articles!

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2006, 01:13:01 PM »
mali yung date sa gweilos, dapat aug5... jul29 pa yung nasa article :shock:

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2006, 03:07:41 PM »
last night was a blast. looking forward to the mag.net gig
Surf's Up!

Offline hordex

• Veteran Member
Benifit concert for a blues bro...( WITH PICS! )
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2006, 04:41:56 PM »
here are some pics during the first blues nyt for EGAY in conspiracy...

PLUG ang unang band sa line up....

PLUG with MR. JOEY AYALA

SOULBENDERS naman ang sumunod...

SNAKECHARMERS ang pangatlo.....

FIREBOTTLE naman ang last sa line up..

pero d pa dyan nagtatapos..... nakijam si PERF at si KAKOI sa FIREBOTTLE.....lupeeeeetttt....syang at hindi ko nakuwaan ng pics...pero dont wori guys, nakuwaan ko sila ng video from start to end...post ko na lng pag natapos!!!!

see you ulit sa next gig sa MAGNET CAFE and GWEILOS!

MAY THE FORCE OF THE BLUES BE WITH YOU ALL!!!!!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2006, 06:46:44 PM »
YOUTUBE....YOUTUBE.... :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2006, 11:08:14 PM »
sunburst club dapat pangalan nung firebottle ah... hehe

congrats sa pinoyblues club.  mabuhay kayo.  astig!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2006, 02:17:18 AM »
With due deference to all the talented guitarists/forumites who all sounded great in last Thursday's gig, I'd like to give due credit to perhaps one of the more under-rated and not-so-talked-about blues players out there..

I'm referring to none other than Arie Hipolito, our very own Guitar Doctor..
(well, at least to most of us)

I've always enjoyed Arie's mini-lessons on tone during my few visits at his shop, but none have made as much impact as hearing him play with his band

Sure, we can all agree that it's his 'killer' Tokai tele that does the trick, but he's got a lot more in his bag of tricks that even the most seasoned players can learn from.

Touch, taste, vibrato, economy of playing ... man, all I can say is that the guy practices what he preaches ..

And his tone! Wow, is all I can say .. amazing clean tones and 'tunog bote' overdriven neck pickup tones!

Now here's an interesting sidelight: I texted him later that night and on through the following day, asking him about his pedal settings.

Most of us know that he only used one pedal that night: his modded TS-9..

I was surprised when he told me: "Did you know that I kept the TS-9 on thoughout our set?"

And I remembered his previous tips about how he could get a very decent clean sound even with an overdrive on, just by cutting the guitar's volume.. apparently, he's a very devout believer in getting a whole range of varying tones just by tweaking the guitar's volume control ..

A short but power-packed lesson in Tone 101 - straight from the guitar doctor himself ...  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2006, 10:28:48 AM »
onga. arie had great tone all night and everything he played was spot on. no flash. just great solid playing. :)

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2006, 02:00:14 AM »
I've yet to hear Kuya Arie's tone suck on a gig.

Galing Plug, papasok pa lang ako nun sa gate ng Conspiracy, parang ayaw ko nang tumuloy.  Sobrang kabit ng tugtugan.  The talent and dynamics went hand in hand.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?