hulika

Author Topic: All technique but lacks Know-how (Just a short anecdote)  (Read 4058 times)

Offline x_crue

• Netizen Level
All technique but lacks Know-how (Just a short anecdote)
« on: July 21, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
   Am a teacher in one of the state universities here in Manila. I have been playing guitar since the 1980s, have gone thru dozens of electric guitars, most of them Ibanez, since then.

I got to talk with one of my 1st year student, he was into electric guitars so some common ground there. Asked if he wants to jam with the band we have at school composed of other faculty members, said yes, then started telling me that he knows how to sweep pick and those other "shred" techniques, he said he was going to buy an Ibanez RG too.

Then it struck, is that all that matters to this young beginning guitarists? I asked my student, do you know how to tune your guitar, he said yes. How about adjusting the intonation, drew a blank on that one. How about adjusting a truss rod for neck relief (if needed) and adjusting the action of the guitar, really drew a blank there. You're gonna buy an RG, probably pick one with a floating bridge. Asked him do you have any idea how to restring it, no answer. That's why when we have band contests in our school, the guitars are always out of tune. But you have shreds galore!!

You might say that, those are kids, don't have any money yet for decent gear or anything. But my point is, adjusting the intonation? I learned that immediately when I purchased my first cheap strat copy guitar. and that was before the internet (yeah, I am that old). So I told my student, when you buy that Ibanez RG guitar, take me with you, so I can explain all the features of that brand of guitar (am really into Ibanez). All the adjustments and everything, even teach him how to re-string the guitar.

I think that would a great help to these beginner guitar players, help them understand the instrument and not have a pissing contest with them.

So, what have you done for other guitar players recently?

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
Re: All technique but lacks Know-how (Just a short anecdote)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
Ibanez Fan Boy din ako, quite a few of guitars,

i started with an SX mirror series strat when i was on college,
nung nagka-work na, sold it

bought myself an FRM100TR pero binenta ko din, i was so naive at binash ng mga kapwa ko gitarista dahil daw MIC,
kung bibili daw ako dpat MIJ or MIA, so ayun pag uwi ko ng pinas binenta ko,

then bumili ako ng RG1570,

tapos recently EGEN18TVF,

with all this, i do know how to restring,
pero yung mag intonate, hindi

Play - Tune - Restring yun lang ang alam ko,

gusto ko matutunan yung mga adjustment sa totoo lang, pero di ko alam where to start mahina ako sa terminologies e haha
Masters are once an apprentice

Offline red lights

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »

sabi ko dun sa nakasabayan namin banda last time "bumili ka ng gitara mo, hindi kita pahihiramin"
Kahit na nasasaktan, Hindi pa rin mahindian

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »

sabi ko dun sa nakasabayan namin banda last time "bumili ka ng gitara mo, hindi kita pahihiramin"

Gold! hahaha, uso sa Battle of the band yung mga rockstar, haha mga cowboy e,
susugod sa battle walang gitara, haha

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
Gold! hahaha, uso sa Battle of the band yung mga rockstar, haha mga cowboy e,
susugod sa battle walang gitara, haha

Gitara? Pfft.. Kelangan ba yun, ang importante madami kang dalang pala.  :lol:
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
Ibanez Fan Boy din ako, quite a few of guitars,

baduy ibanez walang hiyaw

whispers...(may RG din ako)  :lol:

dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline Screamous

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
baduy ibanez walang hiyaw

whispers...(may RG din ako)  :lol:

HAHA! kahit na, meron nman daw bulyaw at hikab XD

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »
   Am a teacher in one of the state universities here in Manila. I have been playing guitar since the 1980s, have gone thru dozens of electric guitars, most of them Ibanez, since then.

I got to talk with one of my 1st year student, he was into electric guitars so some common ground there. Asked if he wants to jam with the band we have at school composed of other faculty members, said yes, then started telling me that he knows how to sweep pick and those other "shred" techniques, he said he was going to buy an Ibanez RG too.

Then it struck, is that all that matters to this young beginning guitarists? I asked my student, do you know how to tune your guitar, he said yes. How about adjusting the intonation, drew a blank on that one. How about adjusting a truss rod for neck relief (if needed) and adjusting the action of the guitar, really drew a blank there. You're gonna buy an RG, probably pick one with a floating bridge. Asked him do you have any idea how to restring it, no answer. That's why when we have band contests in our school, the guitars are always out of tune. But you have shreds galore!!

You might say that, those are kids, don't have any money yet for decent gear or anything. But my point is, adjusting the intonation? I learned that immediately when I purchased my first cheap strat copy guitar. and that was before the internet (yeah, I am that old). So I told my student, when you buy that Ibanez RG guitar, take me with you, so I can explain all the features of that brand of guitar (am really into Ibanez). All the adjustments and everything, even teach him how to re-string the guitar.

I think that would a great help to these beginner guitar players, help them understand the instrument and not have a pissing contest with them.

I agree that it is good to know basic set-up but, honestly, I would still advise any guitarist to bring their guitars to a luthier or tech to have it professionally done. Iba parin pag leveled ang frets, sakto ang neck relief, rounded ang fret edges, rolled ang fretboard, etc. Oo maraming adjustments na kaya nating kapain DIY pero iba parin ang pro set-up.

Sige nga, ilan sa atin dito ang matino mag adjust ng height ng nut slots? Talaga? DIY ha? Hohoho.  :lol:

Weird din ang mga gitarista na ang ganda ng tuner sa pedalboard pero ang mga gitara never nakatikim ng matinong set-up ng tech/luthier kaya sablay ang intonation. Ganda ng pagka tono ng open strings pero hindi intonated haha #fail.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »

I think one perspective is that YOU ARE ASSUMING na serious sa gitara ang tao na iyan.  Consider the possibility na showboat lang ang objective ng bata na iyan.  Eh Kung sabihin ko na bulok ang Ibanez at pang mga panget ang tunog lang iyan?  Tingnan mo, biglang magiiba ang tingin niya sa gitara.

So my point is -- you don't have to save everybody specially if they don't take things seriously lalo na kung walang talent.  Ganoon talaga ang mundo -- not every one is destined to be a great guitar player -- probably 90% of your students are not. 

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
I believe it is essential for a guitar player to know basic guitar setup although bringing your guitar to a professional luthier is still the best way to go. But maybe while you are at it, if the luthier allows you to watch then pick up what you can. If he/she allows you to ask questions then go for it and learn.
I think most of us started playing with a cheap guitar and then eventually upgraded to higher end ones as we matured (I'm an exception though coz I still don't own high end guitars  :-P) so we can use that guitar to practice how to intonate, adjust neck relief, fret leveling without being too worried about messing it up and wasting all the hard earned money.
Although we cant expect everyone to have the same perspective when it comes to "technique vs know-how" I'd like to influence as many guitarists that I know as I can, besides what I share with them would only potentially improve them and if they don't like it they wont lose anything because they never had it in the first place.

Offline guitargad

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 10:43:18 PM »

Sir, In my opinion it's normal for beginners to have that kind of attitude. Alam naman naten lahat pinagdaanan din naten yan. All we can do is to give a good advice, and let their passion(kung meron) give them the right direction. Ang dami kasi dyan mga bata puro pasiklab, pero hindi nila alam mag lock sa groove, may kulang sa chord etc. wala pang maturity. Someday they'll realize the importance of discipline, time management, practice, dealing attitude with other bandmates etc.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
I don't know how to properly setup my guitar but I know how to play and restring it. Intonate, easy. Truss rod adjustment, I don't dare. Micsis will be the answer for that.

A good musician will take care of his/her instrument. That's the reason why they still look for a professional help. IMO, yeah it's a plus if you know how to properly set up your instrument but it doesn't make you an amateur if you don't.

:-D
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:40:50 AM »
Gitara pa lang yan. Wala pa yung amp and pedals and other electronics saka kung paano sila nagwowork. Hindi lang yung basta plug ka sa ganun at ganun.   :eek:
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »

as you have said, he is still a student. obviously di nya priority ang pagseset-up. mas priority nya matuto ng technique. time will come na susubukan nya aralin ang pagset up (lalo na yun floating trem guitar ang bibilhin nya.) all i am saying is, wag i-judge ang tao dahil sa kung ano ang alam nya ngayon. your student is still on his journey and you can try to help him out.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
I run a small recording studio and because my price is low-end I get a lot of beginners. Anytime anything's recorded by a anyone who's a beginner trying to get good, it gets heard again and dissected and I'll tell you it is a blow to anyone who has half an ego. Recording is a real learning experience that any player of any instrument in any skill level should go through.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline x_crue

• Netizen Level
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
Thank for all the positive responses :) :) :) :)

Peace.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
thats a true story right there...

hehe add nyo din mga gearheads na galing sa lahat ng info at specs at lahat ng klase ng gear..pero hirap makisabay sa mga jams, dahil laging tweak ng tweak, kesyo di makuha yung sound..hanggang na fun suck na lahat ng jam time ninyo..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 12:12:28 PM »
I run a small recording studio and because my price is low-end I get a lot of beginners. Anytime anything's recorded by a anyone who's a beginner trying to get good, it gets heard again and dissected and I'll tell you it is a blow to anyone who has half an ego. Recording is a real learning experience that any player of any instrument in any skill level should go through.

+1       reality check to

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
Gitara pa lang yan. Wala pa yung amp and pedals and other electronics saka kung paano sila nagwowork. Hindi lang yung basta plug ka sa ganun at ganun.   :eek:

True. Based on what I've read here so far, it all boils down to what you want to achieve at a certain point in your guitar playing timeline. Another thing is, your environment and the people who influence you may it be your teacher, bandmates, family, friends, etc.
To TS, if I were that student, I'd be grateful for what you'll share since I never had that when I started playing. But then that's me, not everyone will be receptive though

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
Actually that kid is lucky at nakilala si TS. I dont know about you guys pero ako walang nag-guide sa kin mula sa mga music theories hanggang sa mga gear related thingy. Buti na lang may PM kahit papano nakakakuha ng mga info about certain gears hehe  :wave:.

Hanggang ngayon learning pa rin ako, dami ko pa kakaining bigas mula theories hanggang gears at pano sila nagwowork. Guide the kid TS, if he refuse, kawalan nya yun. Hehe
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline x_crue

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
True. Based on what I've read here so far, it all boils down to what you want to achieve at a certain point in your guitar playing timeline. Another thing is, your environment and the people who influence you may it be your teacher, bandmates, family, friends, etc.
To TS, if I were that student, I'd be grateful for what you'll share since I never had that when I started playing. But then that's me, not everyone will be receptive though
Actually that kid is lucky at nakilala si TS. I dont know about you guys pero ako walang nag-guide sa kin mula sa mga music theories hanggang sa mga gear related thingy. Buti na lang may PM kahit papano nakakakuha ng mga info about certain gears hehe  :wave:.

Hanggang ngayon learning pa rin ako, dami ko pa kakaining bigas mula theories hanggang gears at pano sila nagwowork. Guide the kid TS, if he refuse, kawalan nya yun. Hehe

Thank you for the replies.

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 05:30:36 AM »

Naalala ko to, nung highschool ako akala ko ang galing-galing ko na kasi nakakatugtog na ko ng mga nu-metal songs. Nung nag-college ako nakilala ko yung iba-ibang genre at mga artist at narealize ko na ang engot ko pa pagdating sa music at techniques.

Offline chipsdelight

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 02:14:29 PM »
thats a true story right there...

hehe add nyo din mga gearheads na galing sa lahat ng info at specs at lahat ng klase ng gear..pero hirap makisabay sa mga jams, dahil laging tweak ng tweak, kesyo di makuha yung sound..hanggang na fun suck na lahat ng jam time ninyo..

Nagkaron ako one time ng kabanda, pinapaliwanag nya sakin yung about sa behringer tube OD (the vacuum tube one), ako naman si mangyan na nakatingin lang habang ineexplain nya. Ang totoo naaamaze ako habang kinakalikot nya, tas naisip ko nakakahiya pala ako ditto pag nagkataon, dami nyang alm eh. I'm using a bad monkey and OD2 then. then the jam goes. nagugulat na lang ako na biglang may mawawalang riffs, then makikita ko na lang nakaupo na naman yung isa naming gitarista at kinakalikot na naman yung OD nya. Sinenyasan ko yung drummer na stop muna, para makapag timpla siya ng maayos. Then after nun, go na ulet kami. Buong jam halos ganun ng ganun nangyari samin, sa totoo lang, hindi kami nakabuo ng 2 kanta. Ang masama pa, pagdating sa mismong tugtug, hindi yun ang ginamit nya, at ang tunog ay yung tunog ng mga nasa battle of the band (Im referring to those high gain sound na nakakataga ng tenga yung tunog). Nag ngitian na lang kami nung bahista, kasi wala talaga, kalat na yung tunog namin.. Hehe
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 02:16:35 PM by chipsdelight »

Offline chipsdelight

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
Naalala ko to, nung highschool ako akala ko ang galing-galing ko na kasi nakakatugtog na ko ng mga nu-metal songs. Nung nag-college ako nakilala ko yung iba-ibang genre at mga artist at narealize ko na ang engot ko pa pagdating sa music at techniques.

Same here, once nagging fan din ako ng metal, and naisip ko, nasa metal lang talaga magagaling (nahumaling talaga ako nun sa LOG at Arch Enemy). Then nitong nagtrabaho lang ako (unli music dito sa office, pwedeng mag headphone while working), nagstart akong making ng ibang genre, Clapton, Jerks, even Gracenote (super crush ko si Eunice.. haha), dun ko nalaman talaga na super engot ko.

BTT: Honestly hindi rin ako marunong magsetup ng sarili kong gitara, asa na lang ako kay Mike. Nagstart pa lang ako gumawa ng mga konti konting singit, pero nagaaral pa rin ako ng ibat ibang theories at unti unti na akong tinatamad.. Haha

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 03:23:09 AM »
Same here, once nagging fan din ako ng metal, and naisip ko, nasa metal lang talaga magagaling (nahumaling talaga ako nun sa LOG at Arch Enemy). Then nitong nagtrabaho lang ako (unli music dito sa office, pwedeng mag headphone while working), nagstart akong making ng ibang genre, Clapton, Jerks, even Gracenote (super crush ko si Eunice.. haha), dun ko nalaman talaga na super engot ko.

BTT: Honestly hindi rin ako marunong magsetup ng sarili kong gitara, asa na lang ako kay Mike. Nagstart pa lang ako gumawa ng mga konti konting singit, pero nagaaral pa rin ako ng ibat ibang theories at unti unti na akong tinatamad.. Haha

At least those two bands na minention mo is more technical than most of nu-metal bands I have known.  :wave: