hulika

Author Topic: Dissecting HIYAW... the science, the psycho-acoustic nature, and the fallacies  (Read 44955 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
But i bet there's a whole lot of HIYAW and more that can be coaxed out of the P3000 raon electric in the hands of masters sushi and slim than the Yaron in lesser hands such as mine :-D

Thanks for the compliment but no way I can be mentioned in the same sentence as sushi. :-)  

The player is always a factor but in order to NOT go in circles and start arguments, we should always think from an "all things being equal" perspective.

Seriously, if everyone can afford a Gilyaron, would anyone still prefer to buy the Gilraon?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:35:56 AM by deltaslim »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
the same ol topic having the same contents...

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
But i bet there's a whole lot of HIYAW and more that can be coaxed out of the P3000 raon electric in the hands of masters sushi and slim than the Yaron in lesser hands such as mine :-D

Uhmmm... player aside...  that is the point of this thread.   Guthrie Govan can make an RJ Shark sound good but I won't bother buying an RJ Shark.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
question - can hiyaw be heard in pure clean tone? 

With the right amp, YES.  Some amps can be stiff while others have blooming notes. 

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Next question... When Gene Baker waits for a certain 'harvest time' for a certain type of wood, does that have anything to do with the need to make 'hiyaw' in their guitars?  How much of their wood inventory do they reject?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
harvest? or buy wood..

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
does "hiyaw" really matters? <<< good thread topic IMO  :-D

is really the question begged to be answered.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
 I have always seen "hiyaw" being dsicussed here in philmusic but I never read or heard it being discussed in guitarworld, guitar player and other magazines alike (or maybe I just missed reading it), can anyone please cite any top guitar player going gaga over hiyaw property of a guitar? Thanks.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus

... this guy knows the science of hiyaw.

Kaya pala humaba na yun thread... andito pala si Sheldon and his time machine :-D

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
harvest? or buy wood..

HARVEST, as in they find the wood AND/ORthey buy a stash of wood harvested from a certain area at a certain time.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I have always seen "hiyaw" being dsicussed here in philmusic but I never read or heard it being discussed in guitarworld, guitar player and other magazines alike (or maybe I just missed reading it), can anyone please cite any top guitar player going gaga over hiyaw property of a guitar? Thanks.

It is not endemic to our Pinoy culture, only that they do not call it HIYAW.  Some call it a wailing sound, some say mojo.  And it is not sustain per se.  And the funny thing is that you have to go to corksniffer territory to see discussions like this in other forums.

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
all I can think of "hiyaw" is billy gibbons sound, am i on the right track?
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
HARVEST, as in they find the wood AND/ORthey buy a stash of wood harvested from a certain area at a certain time.

Dipende sa lunar cycle... and season.... the reason behind it, is that during the calculated period mas dry ang wood... the sap travels to the roots... well, parang ganyan

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:16:16 PM by farseer »

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus

I think its just overtones or double tone... alot of ovetones maybe... kaya no wonder, FM55 almost bought a Goodall acoustic w/c are known for overtones... I personally like it... nakakaWow kasi, it gives a very good 1st impression... but some dont like it, mas type nila fundamental tone... clarity instead of lushness....

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus

I think its just overtones or double tone... alot of ovetones maybe... kaya no wonder, FM55 almost bought a Goodall acoustic w/c are known for overtones... I personally like it... nakakaWow kasi, it gives a very good 1st impression... but some dont like it, mas type nila fundamental tone... clarity instead of lushness....

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
"does hiyaw really matters?" is really the question begged to be answered.  :lol:

Yeah. Decide if you need and want it and then look for guitars that have it or avoid those that have them if you don't.

Yeah, for most Delta blues, especially bottleneck/slide, it's not always a desired quality. The overtones/harmonics can make slide guitar too glassy/piercing/noisy. But for some Piedmont or old-timey fingerpicking, I like it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:49:35 PM by deltaslim »

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
is the last part of this clip i made "hiyaw" ?

http://soundcloud.com/into-entropy/is-this-hiyaw

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus

Yipes! Thank you, but I'm still chasing the 'slim's tail...

To be honest, I've played a couple of those Raon electrics in the past, and...

Thanks for the compliment but no way I can be mentioned in the same sentence as sushi. :-)  

The player is always a factor but in order to NOT go in circles and start arguments, we should always think from an "all things being equal" perspective.

Seriously, if everyone can afford a Gilyaron, would anyone still prefer to buy the Gilraon?

Preeb's a new member here. He'll probably crack up if he understood what you meant by that :P

Now THOSE two names feel weird in a sentence...
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yeah, for most Delta blues, especially bottleneck/slide, it's not always a desired quality. The overtones/harmonics can make slide guitar too glassy/piercing/noisy. But for some Piedmont or old-timey fingerpicking, I like it.

that's what i thought so too re acoustic blues guitar.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
I like using 'overtones' when talking to a tipsy, sexy chinita or tisay. might go to 'harmonies' or 'hiyaw' after the gig....   :-D
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
is the last part of this clip i made "hiyaw" ?

http://soundcloud.com/into-entropy/is-this-hiyaw

based on what alex says...nope..Mojo cant be recorded..nor does vibe..

lets just play guitar :D

based from what Art A. told me. gene stashes but doesnt cut the tree(harvest a tree crying timber)..my info could be wrong..

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
based on what alex says...nope..Mojo cant be recorded..nor does vibe..

lets just play guitar :D
based from what Art A. told me. gene stashes but doesnt cut the tree(harvest a tree crying timber)..my info could be wrong..

I doubt he harvests... he has to go to South America etc for that.... Most luthiers have their own supplier...

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
I doubt he harvests... he has to go to South America etc for that.... Most luthiers have their own supplier...

lol true and other places for koa, maybe what skunky meant was just body wood..and it would be still no from what i was told..they have a woodstash(supplier) that they go to..

the only few guys i know who harvest is these(http://bunker-guitars.com/store/tone-wood.html), but thats just for things they can source in their area..for rosewood and its non native cousins, they go to a supplier for that..but even this idea when i ask didnt fly to well..since the return time was really long..and it the mid point of it was better to get wood for the build that was precut and they just did the selection..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:35:01 PM by bryanarzaga »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

I don't want nuttin' to get in duh way of mah C7b10b13 chord!  :mrgreen:

I agree with the kanyang-kanyang preference. It also boils down to the application as well. Too much of the "hiyaw" factor may not play in favor of or serve a purpose for folks who enjoy density and polyphony in their music. But I am appreciative of that quality in the jazz-rock-blues realm.

It's a nifty quality to have. I just feel that it can't be the sole measurement of what would qualify a guitar to be good.

Anton, with much respect, its not kanya kanyang preference.  "Hiyaw" is the one EASIEST measure (however unmeasurable but noticeable to the human ear and brain)  to determine whether an electric guitar has mojo.  Now a guitar with MOJO has all the other desirable traits that makes a SPECIFIC electric guitar superior to ALL others.  And in my experience which is very broad, it is present in ALL electric guitars with MOJO.  It is quite obvious that you have not encountered an electric guitar with MOJO and HIYAW which is OK because it is really very hard to find such guitars.  Remember that HIYAW and MOJO need to be experienced first before it can be discussed and further discussion even after experiencing can be as imperfect.     

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

Tonequest Report discusses it quite often...  Its quite simple really.  Guitarworld, Guitar player and other magazines alike if forced to rate sponsor guitars submitted for review based on HIYAW, 95% would fail miserably.   

Tonequest Report has NO paid ads or sponsors...