hulika

Author Topic: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer  (Read 345115 times)

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer
« Reply #2475 on: May 31, 2016, 09:05:08 PM »
IMHO, from the TAJIMA na strat copy, there's notmuch difference sa MIM Standard. the TAGIMA is finished nicely na eh. I think the next step would be an MIJ. TAGIMA strats in GP are pretty nice. just a pickup change and string change and that thing will be good worthy.

oh. i tried some sa kanila (Tagima strats) and for some reason, while nicely finished, hindi ko natripan yung
feel ng neck and frets. but i am looking to go in that direction para maibsan yung pag GAS ko for a strat.

if we weren't expecting a child, malamang mag MIM ako.

but you're right, start slow and enjoy the journey!
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2476 on: May 31, 2016, 11:35:05 PM »
oh. i tried some sa kanila (Tagima strats) and for some reason, while nicely finished, hindi ko natripan yung
feel ng neck and frets. but i am looking to go in that direction para maibsan yung pag GAS ko for a strat.

if we weren't expecting a child, malamang mag MIM ako.

but you're right, start slow and enjoy the journey!
Or baka may machambahan kang used na CV. Balita ko malapit lang tunog nila sa mga MIM and better pa daw yung iba.  :-D
The blues don't change.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2477 on: June 01, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
Or baka may machambahan kang used na CV. Balita ko malapit lang tunog nila sa mga MIM and better pa daw yung iba.  :-D

eto ams okay na solution. CVs IMHO are better than most MIMs, however yung finish lang talga nung neck... </3
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2478 on: June 01, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
eto ams okay na solution. CVs IMHO are better than most MIMs, however yung finish lang talga nung neck... </3
And medyo mahirap humanap ng used. Medyo malapit lang sa MIM ang price niya pag bnew eh  :-D
The blues don't change.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2479 on: June 01, 2016, 01:05:21 PM »
Hey guys. For what it's worth, I have owned a Squier Classic Vibe Strat before and I currently play a MiM Strat and I tell you, the difference in tone and playability is night and day. I prefer the MiM btw. Sold the Classic Vibe.

Squier Classic Vibe:

94' MiM Standard

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2480 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

srsly!?

bilib talaga ako sa timpla ni mayer. simple and functional.
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2481 on: June 01, 2016, 09:34:54 PM »
Hey guys. For what it's worth, I have owned a Squier Classic Vibe Strat before and I currently play a MiM Strat and I tell you, the difference in tone and playability is night and day. I prefer the MiM btw. Sold the Classic Vibe.

Squier Classic Vibe:

94' MiM Standard

Yow ganda talaga ng MIM mo haist. Nabenta mo na TBO bro?
The blues don't change.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2482 on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
Yow ganda talaga ng MIM mo haist. Nabenta mo na TBO bro?

Thanks bro. Malayo talaga sha sa CV especially sa reliability ng trem. The trem on the CV is more cosmetic than functional. Don't get me wrong. CVs and VMs are awesome value guitars. They just dont compare to the ones made in Baja California. The most striking difference is the Squires have a much thinner body wood. Super layo compared to the thickness of the Am. Std. body. They are great guitars and Rabea even used one in the Sound Like John Mayer video and it's in the same colorway I had several years ago. Lol!

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2483 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »

Squier Classic Vibe:

94' MiM Standard

depends on the MIM. if its pre 2013, I noticed, CV Squiers are better sounding (not better feel, I hate the feel of the neck ng CV). lately, the MIMs are better, but still, wouldn't call the difference night and day though. YMMV na siguro. IMHO lang naman. I owned a MIM before, and held lotsa MIM strats of friends and bandmates, I still preferred the sound of CVs when compared side to side. not being a cork sniffer ha :D

srsly!?

bilib talaga ako sa timpla ni mayer. simple and functional.

IMHO lamang po yan paps. YMMV na siguro. I prefer the sound of the CV, but I prefer the feel of the MIM (hate the neck talga on CV).

akala mo lang simple timpla niyan hahahaah pag pinanood mo rig rundown niya malulula ka sa setup niya HAHAHAHA

hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2484 on: June 02, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
depends on the MIM. if its pre 2013, I noticed, CV Squiers are better sounding (not better feel, I hate the feel of the neck ng CV). lately, the MIMs are better, but still, wouldn't call the difference night and day though. YMMV na siguro. IMHO lang naman. I owned a MIM before, and held lotsa MIM strats of friends and bandmates, I still preferred the sound of CVs when compared side to side. not being a cork sniffer ha :D

Don't worry bro. Cork sniffers will never touch Chinese Squiers hehe.

I guess it does boil down to preference. I found the CV thin sounding. I'm not sure if it is because of the thinner-than-standard body but it just lacked the low mids that I like so much with all the Strats I owned. This particular MiM sounded closer to the 89' ST72 MIJ I also onwed before.

To my taste, the CV looked, felt and sounded more like a parody of a Strat than a real strat. It's a pretty good attempt by Squier though. For beginners, I'd say save your money and stick with the Fenders.

And you are correct bro. Your milage may vary.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2485 on: June 02, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
One good thing about the Squier Classic Vibe though is it photographs nicely!

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2486 on: June 02, 2016, 12:36:03 PM »
Don't worry bro. Cork sniffers will never touch Chinese Squiers hehe.

I guess it does boil down to preference. I found the CV thin sounding. I'm not sure if it is because of the thinner-than-standard body but it just lacked the low mids that I like so much with all the Strats I owned. This particular MiM sounded closer to the 89' ST72 MIJ I also onwed before.

To my taste, the CV looked, felt and sounded more like a parody of a Strat than a real strat. It's a pretty good attempt by Squier though. For beginners, I'd say save your money and stick with the Fenders.

And you are correct bro. Your milage may vary.

ahhhh most probably because my tone leans on the clean sounding spectrum. the cleaner a pickup sounds, the better for my ears. mas medaling landiin with a transparent OD kumbaga.

ayun na nga. I'm not a fan of the ST MIJ Sound! preference na nga talaga. I prefer the clean and pristine sound of the CV series because it's easier to manipulate.

the feel though, dun na ako aayaw sa CV. Im not a fan of thick cellu/poly coats for the neck. I prefer that thin nitro, almost bare feel. as always, YMMV hahaha!

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2487 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »
ahhhh most probably because my tone leans on the clean sounding spectrum. the cleaner a pickup sounds, the better for my ears. mas medaling landiin with a transparent OD kumbaga.

ayun na nga. I'm not a fan of the ST MIJ Sound! preference na nga talaga. I prefer the clean and pristine sound of the CV series because it's easier to manipulate.

the feel though, dun na ako aayaw sa CV. Im not a fan of thick cellu/poly coats for the neck. I prefer that thin nitro, almost bare feel. as always, YMMV hahaha!

Ah kaya pala. Preference nga talaga bro. In fairness to the CV, kahit super kapaly yung laquer all over the guitar, shutterbugjohn was able to sand down the back of the neck to make it silky smooth. He did it together with other upgrades like a bone nut and a Fender decal. This guitar is still out there and is an absolute bargain if it pop's up sa classifieds. Matagal ko na din inaabangan pero mukhang nakakapit yung nakabili sa kanya hehe.

BTW, I went to PP Glo literally 30 mins ago and auditioned an Am. Std. selling for 79k into a Fender Princeton. The amp was stellar and I believe contributed to most of the tone but the guitar was an absolute dog! It was a huge dissapointment and a real abomination considering the huge pricetag.

Goes to show that the tolerances in Fender QC are pretty wide. I guess this can be good for people who are in the know in terms of guitar purchasing as there are stellar Squiers out there mixed in with dissapointing Fenders.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2488 on: June 02, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »
Ah kaya pala. Preference nga talaga bro. In fairness to the CV, kahit super kapaly yung laquer all over the guitar, shutterbugjohn was able to sand down the back of the neck to make it silky smooth. He did it together with other upgrades like a bone nut and a Fender decal. This guitar is still out there and is an absolute bargain if it pop's up sa classifieds. Matagal ko na din inaabangan pero mukhang nakakapit yung nakabili sa kanya hehe.

BTW, I went to PP Glo literally 30 mins ago and auditioned an Am. Std. selling for 79k into a Fender Princeton. The amp was stellar and I believe contributed to most of the tone but the guitar was an absolute dog! It was a huge dissapointment and a real abomination considering the huge pricetag.

Goes to show that the tolerances in Fender QC are pretty wide. I guess this can be good for people who are in the know in terms of guitar purchasing as there are stellar Squiers out there mixed in with dissapointing Fenders.

off the rack kasi, hirap ijudge ng mga gitara sa pinas kasi hindi naka setup and always with old strings. :( then again, may mga am std talaga na dud. I've a run in last year sa yupangco. its the amstd with the fat 50's pickups. tested through a supersonic. the amp was doing most of the singing job. the guitar felt... meh imho. the American special I tested tho, champion kung champion!

hayyy the stuff people go through to nail that mayer-esque tone! hahahaha!

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2489 on: June 02, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
off the rack kasi, hirap ijudge ng mga gitara sa pinas kasi hindi naka setup and always with old strings. :( then again, may mga am std talaga na dud. I've a run in last year sa yupangco. its the amstd with the fat 50's pickups. tested through a supersonic. the amp was doing most of the singing job. the guitar felt... meh imho. the American special I tested tho, champion kung champion!

hayyy the stuff people go through to nail that mayer-esque tone! hahahaha!

Oh dang I tested an Am. Special din last year sa Yupanco through a Princeton and it was killer as well! Possibly the same guitar? It's the surf green with a maple board and big headstock.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2490 on: June 02, 2016, 06:50:17 PM »
Oh dang I tested an Am. Special din last year sa Yupanco through a Princeton and it was killer as well! Possibly the same guitar? It's the surf green with a maple board and big headstock.

HAHAHAHA it might be the same! it was a surf green strat! man, I remember I almost pulled the trigger. it was during the vip sale hahaha

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2491 on: June 02, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
Eto ba yung time na may 50% off sa amp pag bumili ka ng guitar? Thats right around the time I tested it too. The guy who eventually got it is such a lucky mofo haha.  :lol:
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2492 on: June 03, 2016, 10:45:05 AM »
Eto ba yung time na may 50% off sa amp pag bumili ka ng guitar? Thats right around the time I tested it too. The guy who eventually got it is such a lucky mofo haha.  :lol:

yes! that was the time! yan nga siguro yung guitar na yun. not exactly mayer tones, but it was singing!

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2493 on: June 03, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
yes! that was the time! yan nga siguro yung guitar na yun. not exactly mayer tones, but it was singing!

Yup! That guitar came out of the factory begging to be played.

Hey you guys know anyone who upgraded to Klein Jazzy Cats? Worth it ba ang investment?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2494 on: June 03, 2016, 01:21:45 PM »

Hey you guys know anyone who upgraded to Klein Jazzy Cats? Worth it ba ang investment?

tried one, it didn't really sound stellar imho. to be fair though, I was trying it out on a solidstate amp (A Laney LX65R to be exact), and it was fitted on an MIJ Fender Standard. im guessing it was the amp. hahahaha

what I liked though, is the tone rider city limits, going into a transparent OD, that was very close to getting the "Heavier Things" sound imho.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2495 on: June 03, 2016, 09:40:44 PM »

Present!

Nakapag install na ako ng Jazzy Cats sa strat ng mga kaibigan.. MIM Strats to be exact. Instant John Mayer tone (Continuum) talaga, especially with a Fender amp. Think "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room", yun kasing intro nun ang lagi kong benchmark.  :wave:

Is it worth it? If you have the cash to spare, yes. Pero may mga lower priced options that can get you close.... Tonerider Pure Vintage..

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2496 on: June 04, 2016, 01:49:23 AM »
Present!

Nakapag install na ako ng Jazzy Cats sa strat ng mga kaibigan.. MIM Strats to be exact. Instant John Mayer tone (Continuum) talaga, especially with a Fender amp. Think "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room", yun kasing intro nun ang lagi kong benchmark.  :wave:

Is it worth it? If you have the cash to spare, yes. Pero may mga lower priced options that can get you close.... Tonerider Pure Vintage..
Sabi nga nila malapit rin tumunog ang PVs. May naresearch din ako try niyo search yung Reilander Mid Scoop pickups. Built to imitate yung pickups ni mayer haha gawa sa canada and mura lang.

GFS pickups din yung premiu ii alnico din malapit din tumunog. :)
The blues don't change.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2497 on: June 06, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »
Present!

proof nanaman. tone is in the amp HAHAHAHAHA

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2498 on: September 29, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »
Guys i did a tutorial on periscope  :lol:

PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2499 on: October 20, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »

The blues don't change.