hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan  (Read 64227 times)

Offline guitarpie

Re: Steely Dan
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
Tama yung electric sitar effect.  It was also used on the intro of "You Make Me Feel Brand New" when I took notice of that sound a long time ago.

An example of the flanged effect naman na kahawig ng ES can be heard on John Tropea's intro sa "Havana Strut" in Deodato's Whirlwinds album. 

Pasensiya na po at medyo luma ang mga examples.

oks lang.. sa 70s songs nga mostly ginamit ang ganung effect..
(",)

Offline knopfler_29

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »

fav ko FM at dirty work

Offline basstuduplak

• Netizen Level
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2008, 02:48:44 AM »
 :-D

i'm definitely a big fan of steely dan!!! :mrgreen:
check out also there "alive in america album"....gara talaga eh!!!
favorite ko yung josie(live).
thanks to sir wowie possadas and kuya benjie mendez for sharing this great artist :-D

Offline gutz_3110

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
uy sama ako dito! hehehe steely dan rules!

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2008, 03:46:32 AM »
Uy si Benjie, kilala ko yan. paki-kumusta :-)
(",)

Offline robcoun

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
Sana may kumanta ng Dr. Wu tsaka Here at the Western World

Offline guitarpie

« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Tayo na lang kaya bro practisin natin o kaya yung mga dating nag-jam dito ng mga steely dan songs :-D
(",)

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »
dudes... any confirmation re sa gig nila dito sa pinas? sponsored ba ng Philjazz?

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
ooops meron pala ganito thread para ke steely dan i was quite curious of how steely dan sounds like i remember back in the nineties i have a jingle magazine published in the eighties with steely dan on the cover. So i said to myself last year why don't i look for a steely dan and i did i got the then and now don't ask me how i acquired it :evil: and last night i got citizen :evil: currently listening to the tracks so far it's reelin in the years, rikki don't lose that number
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline styledog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
i havent been a long time listener but ever since, ive been hooked.

anyone who has MP3s? pwede pa copya? bayaran ko nlng ung CD.  :-D

15 tracks lang meron ako. cgruo compilation lang to.

pwede pacopya ng mga CDs? cnong kumpleto?

deacon blues, meron ka?  :-D

Just in case, nahihirapan kang maghanap ng CDs or MP3s ng Steely Dan try mo sa LPs. Maraming available nito sa LPs. Mapapabili ka nga lang ng turntable to play them back.

I could give you references. :-) :-)

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2009, 01:13:36 AM »
Elvis Costello does Showbiz Kids to open one of his episodes of Spectacle.  Extra: an interview with M Ward and Zooey Deschanel of She & Him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9TsQFVYSgM

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
Ooooh.. a steely thread. :-D

The songwriting rocks (The lyrics, melodies and harmonies just mesh), the session musicians kill, and that dry wit never fails.

My picks:

AJA, Black Cow, Rikki, Don't Lose that Number, Boddhisatva, Peg, Deacon Blues, FM, Reelin' in the Years...the list goes on.

Yet, TWO AGAINST NATURE seems to cruise steadily minus the 'ooomph' of earlier stuff, musically, that is - Just my opinion.

"Fleym is da neym ob da geeeeym, a geeeym we kol gaslayting abiii..."  :lol:

Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline stereolance

« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:27 AM »
not really jazz for me. most of the musicians in their albums are jazz and pro session musicians hence the perception maybe. although for me "Aja" might be considered as jazz listening. most of their early work was pop-rock, and later moving into blues/jazz/pop.

"if you can't explain it...its jazz" - Legend of 900
Birds of the same feather have the same father.

Offline stereolance

« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »
i'm really gald i found this thread! i love steely dan. KID CHARLEMAGNE is my favorite. It's Larry Carlton who did the lead part....it's O-SAWM! tried to "cifra"...did fair enough sa chords but when i tried improvising over the chord changes...hell, i was lost! The best talaga STEELY DAN...never in my life i've heared somthing like what they play.......somone was asking kung anung GENRE ng steely dan....hindi kaya sila mismo eh GENRE na ng music? heheheheh!

LOVE STEELY DAN! yey!

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

It's really hard to improv over Kid Charlemagne, so you're still ok.

Anybody would like to do Steely Dan Jam II? Last time there was me and 3650guy (Nonoy) playing keys, Working Stiff (John) on the bass and Jim Ayson playing the drums. Kedy Sanchez was also there. Somebody whose name I can't recall now (whew, memory cells not working!) did the vocals.

The jam was played in the newer studio of Gig in Cubao.  Anybody who wants to host is welcome, we just need to agree on what to play beforehand.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline scofield

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
Nice!

Sana pumunta sila dito sa Pinas. Favorite ko ung buong Aja, na album, pero all of their albums are the best, walang tapon., lahat panalo.  :-D

Bad sneakers and dirty work ang current favorties ko naman ngayon.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »

pasali.. :lol: steely Dan fan here too

songs that caught my ears before

1. FM
2. Do it again
3. Dirty work
4. Midnight cruiser
5. Rikkie don't lose that number

Not necessarily in that order. but if one will force me to name just two.. hmm.. FM & Dirty work :wink:

Offline sulayman44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
About time may Steely Dan thread na dito!

Steely Dan is a different animal. Nakaka insecure ang kanilang pag ka perfectionist. I mean, listen to those solos, bass lines... what have you.

Sa time ng mga bands like CSNY, Dylan and all those rock/country bands, kakaiba ang trip nila.

Kid Charlemagne is my favorite song.  :mrgreen:

Offline stereolance

« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
steely dan in the morning...steely dan in the evening.........i just lav it!

Offline konkreteink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »
It's really hard to improv over Kid Charlemagne, so you're still ok.

Anybody would like to do Steely Dan Jam II? Last time there was me and 3650guy (Nonoy) playing keys, Working Stiff (John) on the bass and Jim Ayson playing the drums. Kedy Sanchez was also there. Somebody whose name I can't recall now (whew, memory cells not working!) did the vocals.

The jam was played in the newer studio of Gig in Cubao.  Anybody who wants to host is welcome, we just need to agree on what to play beforehand.

that would be me (erwin) sir Boddhisattva, haha. i was the one who did the vocals. yeah, it's about time for a second jam!
Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio is located at #167 A.Bonifacio avenue, Taņong, Marikina City. for inquiries call or text us @ 0917-587-4873 or visit our Facebook page ( Konkrete Ink Tattoo Studio ). a good tattoo is not cheap, a cheap tattoo is not good...

Offline grasyaps

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
i wouldve loved to see erwin sing! hahahha

completo ko na lahat ng album nila yehey! mp3 nga lang pero works for me :D
Most Recent Successful Deals with: cap10weevil, carey, david_leyson, DyuN_whamMe, gt bass, guitarmaniacgino, jacobsarinas, jimny, jodencio, loydariel, pie_key, prince22, Spoonbender, sysrq1172, washburnt25

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
Gusto ko AJA (incl. Aja, Black Cow, Deacon Blue) and CAN'T BUY A THRILL (incl. Do It Again, Dirty Work & Reelin' in the Years) lp. Pareho nasa RStone 500 greatest albums of all time. Sabi ng Manufacturer ng Thorens Turntable, lumaki sales ng units nila ng 1970s dahil sa aja album. Di lang music maganda, pati yung recording. Na re-issue to sa Mobile Fidelity, 180g at mga anniversary issues. Up to now hot pa din ito lalo na sa mga audiophiles.

Although me copy din ako ng Steely Dan Greatest Hits 2lp at Ghits v2.  

Yung Nightfly ni Donald Fagen okey din.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:35:29 PM by plasticsoul »

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
Gusto ko AJA (incl. Aja, Black Cow, Deacon Blues) and CAN'T BUY A THRILL (incl. Do It Again, Dirty Work & Reelin' in the Years) lp. Pareho nasa RStone 500 greatest albums of all time. Sabi ng Manufacturer ng Thorens Turntable, lumaki sales ng units nila ng 1970s dahil sa aja album. Di lang music maganda, pati yung recording. Na re-issue to sa Mobile Fidelity, 180g at mga anniversary issues. Up to now hot pa din ito lalo na sa mga audiophiles.

Although me copy din ako ng Steely Dan Greatest Hits 2lp at Ghits v2. 

Yung Nightfly ni Donald Fagen okey din.  :-)

Try to score a copy of the Making of Aja DVD where the recording process is meticulously discussed and shown. Then you'll say "Wow".

Offline JDennis

« Reply #173 on: August 10, 2010, 01:22:34 PM »
Steely Dan (Donald Fagen and Walter Becker), just like Michael Franks' music is what we all consider, the "Thinking Man's Rock". Geeky as they may seem because they have a unique way of making their music. Although they are very much considered in the the Jazz genre. I had the pleasure of meeting them in person when I was working part time in a San Diego radio station during our annual Jazz fest. Very nice people.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:24:11 PM by JDennis »

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2010, 09:12:38 AM »
Wow, that was a rare opportunity! The closest I've been to them is watching their concert in Dallas with Mike MacDonald 3 years ago.