hulika

Author Topic: [grape] question: Linux based OS vs. Windows  (Read 8364 times)

Offline crouchdash

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: [grape] question: Linux based OS vs. Windows
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
I started using ubuntu nung Intrepid Ibex 8.10 and I like d it a lot. Yang Jaunty mejo nakaka-asar dahil maraming driver issue kaya hinintay ko talaga itong karmic 9.10

I ordered the free live CD.

I'm also endorsing this to our church.  :-)
If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel..."On your knees boy!"

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:35 AM »

napagana ko na kanina yung wifi at globe broadband. like i said it needs tweaking. as for video cards, the big names like nvidia or ati have drivers for them most of the time. as for the other drivers, what do you need anyway? i currently have crossover for linux for my windows apps...pero plants vs zombies yung nakainstall pa lang dun. :-D

great! haha i guess i need the assurance that i may be able to run the ff applications on a linux OS:

Cakewalk Sonar
Ableton Live
Adobe Photoshop
Guitar Pro 5
Guitar Speed Trainer

and probably some EA games.  :-D

those 5 programs are soo important to me.
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »
great! haha i guess i need the assurance that i may be able to run the ff applications on a linux OS:

Cakewalk Sonar
Ableton Live
Adobe Photoshop
Guitar Pro 5
Guitar Speed Trainer

and probably some EA games.  :-D

those 5 programs are soo important to me.

aha! then i guess you need ubuntu studio or 64 studio. most of the apps listed have corresponding counterparts in linux that you dont really need to use a "windows simulator".

for sonar and ableton live, you can try getting through ubuntu studio applications (ardour has been compared to pro tools actually). guitar pro 5 has a counterpart known as tuxguitar (it also has a windows version and its free also). for photoshop, you can either use gimp (which has the same compatibility) or install crossover or wine then run photoshop. same thing goes if you really want ableton and sonar on the linux environment.

crossover is also the key for ea games (actually some game developers make linux versions of their games). yung guitar speed trainer, i have yet to see because i havent tried it myself. a little research can probably lead you to an open source counterpart.

please do also check the ubuntu forums. they have lots of tips there. theres also a subforum there for pinoy users. they posted there how to use the mobile broadbands for linux. :-)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:22:00 AM by akosimic »

Offline Sugar Ray Vaughan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »

i was actually thinking of switching to 64 studio for my laptop in case i couldnt find any vid card drivers and all. pero okay lang. maybe when i see the need to reformat my whole laptop (its on dual boot with win xp though thinking of switching to win7).

so hows the gui on 64 studio?

If I were you, better have Ubuntu Studio 9.10 for the meantime. 64 Studio's current project (3.0 beta) is based on that old Ubuntu Hardy. Drivers/upgrades = a bit of pain in the @$$. Had a bit of installation problems on its latest stable release [so far], which was 2.1 (released year 2008).

Another interesting distro geared towards audio is Musix 2.0 (and it's Debian-based).

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying FreeBSD 8.0 and its ZFS support. Heheh....
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:58 AM »
If I were you, better have Ubuntu Studio 9.10 for the meantime. 64 Studio's current project (3.0 beta) is based on that old Ubuntu Hardy. Drivers/upgrades = a bit of pain in the @$$. Had a bit of installation problems on its latest stable release [so far], which was 2.1 (released year 2008).

Another interesting distro geared towards audio is Musix 2.0 (and it's Debian-based).

Anyway, I'm currently enjoying FreeBSD 8.0 and its ZFS support. Heheh....

ah really. im now on 9.10. i have yet to try musix 2.0. yung freebsd how does it compare to other open source os?

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 01:35:42 AM »

ah really. im now on 9.10. i have yet to try musix 2.0. yung freebsd how does it compare to other open source os?

FreeBSD is considered a UNIX descendant (though indirect, unlike Linux), and much complicated than major Linux distros (e.g. Debian/Ubuntu). If you have a lot of spare time compiling stuff, and wanted to customize all applications/stuff you want, you might as well try learning this as well. And by the way, it's more geared towards networking/security than desktop setup.

If you want an easier FreeBSD-based variant, you should try PC-BSD or DesktopBSD instead (both in KDE4 environment).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:28:16 AM by Sugar Ray Vaughan »
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
FreeBSD is a direct UNIX descendant (unlike Linux), and much complicated than major Linux distros (e.g. Debian/Ubuntu). If you have a lot of spare time compiling stuff, and wanted to customize all applications/stuff you want, you might as well try learning this as well. And by the way, it's more geared towards networking/security than desktop setup.

If you want an easier FreeBSD-based variant, you should try PC-BSD or DesktopBSD instead (both in KDE4 environment).
okay stupid question: bsd vs ubuntu? :-D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 03:29:11 AM »
okay stupid question: bsd vs ubuntu? :-D

Hmmmm, to be honest I can't answer you directly -- it will be a matter of your personal preference. But if you're coming from a beginner's standpoint, I'd suggest Ubuntu instead.

I can give you certain points of the two:

-> In Linux, most distros automatically setup a GUI during installation (called X Windows System). There are two major X Windows System: GNOME and KDE. Ubuntu uses GNOME; other variants uses different ones (Kununtu uses KDE; Xubuntu uses XFCE, and so on). Ubuntu Studio has GNOME as well. You can also compile and customize a different windows system if you want (just download package and compile).

In FreeBSD, you have to setup the X Windows by yourself (download package, compile, etc).

-> As we all know, you may only have 4 primary partitions in an MBR-table partitioned hard drive. For the convenience of preserving your previous OS, or setting up a multiple OS-equipped PC, Linux can be installed in an extended partition (by creating multiple logical drives in it) -- extended partitions (as a whole) are considered a primary partition.

In FreeBSD, however, you are required to have at least one primary partition for it. (it is also possible to install in an extended partition, but it is very complicated).

-> In Linux, usually little amount of disk space is required (say, around 5GB for the root partition, then 1GB for swap space); though the usual recommended disk spacce would be 10 to 15GB.

In FreeBSD, I'd recommend at least 30GB of disk space, due to compiling sources.

-> Both Linux & BSD needs some time to learn, and FreeBSD is more steep in terms of the learning curve; plus the time it takes to compile programs and stuff.

-> In Ubuntu, programs are installed by default (in Ubuntu Studio, for example, Ardour, Audacity are already installed). In FreeBSD, you have to download via ports, then compile, etc.

I'll stress this: In FreeBSD, most of the time you will be spending more time fidding commands under the terminal (the BSD/Linux version of the command prompt). The same goes to Linux, but in FreeBSD I really say A LOT OF TIME.

So there you go. If you want a multimedia-ready OS that also has a pre-installed WINE (a program that can run Windows programs with the Linux environment), go for Ubuntu Studio. If you are willing to immediately explore an advanced OS that requires more time and patience, go for FreeBSD.

And, if you want an "easier" Ubuntu that has updated drivers and media codecs, go for Linux Mint.

Lastly, for mre tips and info regarding major distributions, visit this link:
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

==========================================

Useful advice for all those Windows freaks who want to explore Linux / BSD: Have a lot of patience, because learning all of *NIX stuff can't be done overnight. As a mandatory, Google is your friend (and from the beginning, grab any e-book documentations about your distro). Prepare to spend more time googling for solutions regarding specific problems (e.g. detecting your Huawei USB Broadband) and signing up/participating in different forums (it is really important) -- this will be your tech support. Since it is open source, you have a community of Linux/BSD users that can help you on the long run.

More explanation can be read here: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Good luck and welcome to open-source, 100% free software.
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜

Offline akosimic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »
haha then i guess i made the right choice of sticking with ubuntu studio, over bsd. maybe when i do get more patience to sit down and read all about bsd (and hard disk space since i allotted only around 30gb for my ubuntu partition).

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
Oh, another thing is the default bootloader... The latest Ubuntu releases comes with GRUB 2, which is the most versatile as far as multi-booting is concerned.
スキャンダル ★ 小野春菜