hulika

Author Topic: Can I use my acoustic guitar (w/pickups) through iRig?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline soundvent_ph

Can I use my acoustic guitar (w/pickups) through iRig?
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:08:10 AM »
Hello, Irig newbie here. When I plug my acoustic guitar to my iRig 1, sobrang hina at distorted ng tunog. Fresh batteries and it sounds well through an amp or Direct box. Pwede ko ba magamit ito through iRig? Im using an Ipad mini by the way. Thank you for you input!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Can I use my acoustic guitar (w/pickups) through iRig?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »

it will work, but don't expect it to sound mic'ed.

First, what pickups are you using with your acoustic? does it have an onboard preamp?

second, ensure that when plugging to your ipad, there are no effects active in the chain. (im assuming you're running amplitube or some sort of guitar app.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline soundvent_ph

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
No, my guitar does not have an onboard pre amp (does it have to have a pre amp?). I run it through Jam Up with no pedals active. Just the Amp. Appreciate your help Ralph!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
No, my guitar does not have an onboard pre amp (does it have to have a pre amp?). I run it through Jam Up with no pedals active. Just the Amp. Appreciate your help Ralph!

ahhhhh. if its a piezo pickup (similar to those K&K/Elliot lemi) they will not sound as nice if not plugged into an amp. second, piezo disc pickups are picky as it has a specific output impedance that if not matched perfectly, will cause distortion in your sound.

you have the following options:

1. plug your guitar into a DI. RADIAL has a special DI to accommodate PIEZO level signals into line level/instrument level signals.

2. get a preamp. make sure it works with the piezo tho. I once installed Elliot Lemi's on my Takamine EG340C (Elliot lemi into the TPT4 Preamp of Takamine) it sounded distorted or not as clear as I want it to be. and the volume was low. I was told about impedances and how the pickups do not match the preamp. so, I just drilled a hole for the Elliot lemi (so that I will go straight to an AMP) and then I just bought a new undersaddle element going to the preamp. it worked for me.

hope this helps brother.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »
IK Multimedia just released an acoustic guitar version of Amplitube (if you don't mind another dongle attached to the sound hole apart from the acoustic pickups).

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/acousticios/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:02:32 PM by Deadwing »

Offline g0d5_g1ft

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:48:54 PM »
use the iRig Acoustic, better option. I use it for my classical and steel stringed acoustics awesome sound. Just calibrate it properly otherwise you get muddy/cranky sound.
matututo kaya ako magdrums? kelan kaya iyon...

need gear: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=28593

Offline soundvent_ph

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:44:38 AM »
unfortunately wala pang release ng iRig acoustic dito, if you are willing to sell it to me just let me know. I appreciate all your help guys. solid kayo!