hulika

Author Topic: fret buzz  (Read 7158 times)

Offline fade2black0520

• Veteran Member
fret buzz
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »
is there any way to eliminate fret buzz completely? ive got an ibanez grg and i had set up my string height to my comfortable level (pag naka fret ako sa 1st fret, nahohold ung pick k n 1mm between the 6th string and 6th fret wire... is adjusting action the only way to remove buZZ????
Samick 15W practice amp - Marshall MG15R - jazz 3 picks

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
fret buzz
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 01:32:27 PM »
Ummm...no.

Sometimes it takes a really qualified guitar tech to remove fret buzz. I've been taking care of my own guitars for a long time, but there are just some works that are beyond me :D.

Okay as a quick rundown (from my memory, I'm not a luthier), these are the things that can be done/adjusted to remove fret buzz :

1. Adjusting neck angle (obviously only for bolt-ons)
2. Adjusting action at the bridge
3. replacing the nut. Depends if the nut is already spent and is too low, that will cause fret buzz.
4. replacing flatted out fretwires or filing down ones that are too high
5. Adjusting the truss rod.

Now some of these things you should do only if you know exactly what you're doing, because if you apply a wrong technique, there's a chance of damaging your guitar.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
fret buzz
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:42:08 AM »
Update : One of my guitars had the same problem, at the point where the fretbuzz disappears is an action height that was unacceptable. I looked back and saw that the neck had too much relief (bow-bend due to the pull of the strings) so I checked the truss rod. It was very loose ! So I tightened it and accordingly, the action came down. Now I got a low, comfortable action. Hope that one works for you and be careful, if the truss rod nut fights back too much, don't force it.

BAMF

Offline tumorwarrior

• Veteran Member
fret buzz
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 09:25:59 AM »
visit a luthier, consultations are free :)[/i]
FOR SALE: PSE MILLENNIUM V5 COMPOUND BOW <br />50lbs draw weight/ 27" draw legnth (+/-2")<br />complete with sight, center stab, dampers, carter triger, Easton X10 Arrows, bow case<br />40K lang san ka pa. Pm me for contact details

Offline fade2black0520

• Veteran Member
buzzing
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 11:31:52 PM »
how much will it cost to have my guitar buzz-free????

where to go???

any suggestions????

audiophile??? guitar hospital???

thnx!!!  :D
Samick 15W practice amp - Marshall MG15R - jazz 3 picks

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
fret buzz
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 08:21:12 AM »
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline jefft

fret buzz
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »
Hi GUys! i need some help with my sx dreadnought acoustic guitar, it has fret buzz which is coming from the fatest string after i replaced the strings. I can its tuned well though i still have the fret buzz... what can be the problem guys??? please help! tnx!
" it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do".

Offline 16track

• Netizen Level
fret buzz
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »
jefft:

Very difficult to judge the exact factor without seeing/ examining the guitar in person-- but some cases of string buzzing in acoustic guitars are caused by some of the following:

1. Changing strings -- did you change to a lighter string gauge? Such change in string gauge can make the neck move a bit enough to cause the buzz due to the change in tension.

2.  A lighter gauge also brings the strings deeper into the nut which was used to having thicker strings.

3.  Fret Wear. Check your frets to see if any of them are already worn out on some parts as they also cause buzzing.

In many cases... the buzzing cab be removed by adjusting  the truss rod AFTER you have finalized the string gauge you want to use.

Again-- this is just a note as nothing beats examining the guitar in person. If you are not well versed in setting up the guitar-- it is highly recommended to go and see a luthier. Should not cost much.

Regards!

Quote from: jefft
Hi GUys! i need some help with my sx dreadnought acoustic guitar, it has fret buzz which is coming from the fatest string after i replaced the strings. I can its tuned well though i still have the fret buzz... what can be the problem guys??? please help! tnx!
Child of the Blues!

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
fret buzz
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »
roadtone.tk. - al and Jun. C. map is there and so are the directions.

had my washburn overhauled. 1.1k. bought strings. 200 bucks. now my washburn is as good as new..and..to my specs...good luck dude!
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
fret buzz
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 05:43:13 AM »
If you are going to try out Jun Castro, also try out Arie Hipolito (Tel#7426343).  Have your guitar diagnosed by both and see the difference.

Offline frosty_fingerz

fret buzz
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 06:01:58 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
Update : One of my guitars had the same problem, at the point where the fretbuzz disappears is an action height that was unacceptable. I looked back and saw that the neck had too much relief (bow-bend due to the pull of the strings) so I checked the truss rod. It was very loose ! So I tightened it and accordingly, the action came down. Now I got a low, comfortable action. Hope that one works for you and be careful, if the truss rod nut fights back too much, don't force it.

BAMF

i know its a stupid question but, where and what is a truss rod?
"Nolite te bastardes carborondorum"

I live my life between Lion Shots and Chasers™

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
fret buzz
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »
Most guitars, except for the real cheap n [gooey brown stuff] ones, have a steel rod embedded inside the neck. One end is anchored either on the peghead or on the body side, depending on your guitar model. Usually (except in some washburns), there is a small recess in the machine head behind and below the nut (if you're looking at your guitar with the machine head facing you) and if you look inside, there's a hex-adjusted screw head. On Gibson LP's and others, that recess is covered by a plastic plate. That's the truss rod adjustment. The rod allows the neck to "fight off" the tension given by the strings pulling on a neck like a bowstring on a bow. It also gives better sustain. The general "bow" of the neck can be adjusted  using the truss rod. Generally, straightening the neck by tightening the truss rod will bring the action down. But that's not the only consideration. Setting up a guitar perfectly is indeed an art and is not confined to just one adjustment, but rather a combination of settings that will optimize your axe.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: fret buzz
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 11:16:47 PM »
nag buzz ung mga guitars ko...

badtrip...nag adjust ung neck

di kaya sa weather???
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »
sa guitars ko naman (see my sig)....pag malamig ang panahon nags-sharp ang tuning ko. Pero bumabalik din sa dati.

Check the relief of the neck. For more info regarding truss rod adjustment use google  :-)

Offline lee72807

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
anu ba tunog ng buzz??
sorry noob me
LF-expression pedal budget 500 to 600 pesos
pm me or txt me 09062592893

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »
anu ba tunog ng buzz??
sorry noob me
hmm.. buzzzzzzzzzzzz :lol:

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »

Offline humbucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
anu ba tunog ng buzz??
sorry noob me

alam mo yung tunog kapag nabvivibrate pa yung string tapos dikit mo yung pick o kaya piso lightly dun sa string? ganun yung tunog ng fret buzz. Pati fret "BUZZ" palang obvious na kung ano tunog niya.  :lol:

Offline rad_12

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »
yung deads yung note mo..yan tunog ng my buzz. :lol:

Offline e-guitar

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
ah mga sir question lang, paano po ba i-check yung guitar kung may fret buzz o wala?

thanks sa replies.! :-D
DEAL REFERENCES: larry.galang, bass13man, mb.la13.

Offline Jem-Jr.™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
try mo mag run ng chromatics sa buong fretboard.. maririnig mo kung anong string/fret may buzz..  :-D
EBMM 2014 JPXIII-7 - Mesa Boogie Mark IVa - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Horizontal Cabinet 2x12 - Dunlop JP95 Wah - Fractal FM3 - EBVP Stereo 25k - Headrush FRFR 108 Stereo

Offline donard

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
Ummm...no.

Sometimes it takes a really qualified guitar tech to remove fret buzz. I've been taking care of my own guitars for a long time, but there are just some works that are beyond me :D.

Okay as a quick rundown (from my memory, I'm not a luthier), these are the things that can be done/adjusted to remove fret buzz :

1. Adjusting neck angle (obviously only for bolt-ons)
2. Adjusting action at the bridge
3. replacing the nut. Depends if the nut is already spent and is too low, that will cause fret buzz.
4. replacing flatted out fretwires or filing down ones that are too high
5. Adjusting the truss rod.

Now some of these things you should do only if you know exactly what you're doing, because if you apply a wrong technique, there's a chance of damaging your guitar.

galing ni sir bamf!!!idol hehe :-D

i had a grg too tapos pinasetup ko sa audiophile sa cubao
ayon action at intonation ang pinaayos ko hanggang ngayon my guitar still rocks with me at walang walang problema
pareho kaming komportable pag nagta-tagteam hehe
Ibanez RG321MH RB, Artec GIOVANNI Custom Humbucker GCH2 Bridge and Neck,Ibanez WD7, Fulltone OCD V4, Boss CE2, Boss HR2, EHX Holystain,MI Audio Crunchbox, Boss RV3, Unoh PSU, Dunlop Jazz III

http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,220146.0.html

Offline red_hot

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
pasetup mo pero para matipid try mo kay na lang muna kung makuha sa press ng fret wire hehehe is shot medyo pukpukin mo lang minsan umaangat tlga eh di lang pansin
God Of Sin

"Evolution of Dime"   Mic Foam For Sale http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,227373.0.html

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 05:16:54 PM »
ah mga sir question lang, paano po ba i-check yung guitar kung may fret buzz o wala?

thanks sa replies.! :-D

pag may nagbubuzzz.. check all frets sa all strings.. check mo narin plugged and unplugged..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline dirazon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 02:02:01 PM »
Minsan normal na talaga may fretbuzz yung gitara? Pero minimal lang. Dati lagi ko pinoproblema to pero after some time nafigure out ko na its no big deal unless dead note na talaga. Based on experience I usually have fretbuzz pag uneven na yung fretwires which is normal since mas madalas ako mgbend sa thinner strings. Kung pinaset up mo na gitara mo then after some time nagkaroon ng buzz try changing strings. Sometimes rusty strings can cause buzz and even dead notes. Just my opinion.  :-)