hulika

Author Topic: YAMAHA NS-10M vs NS-20M  (Read 4319 times)

Offline alvincflorentino

YAMAHA NS-10M vs NS-20M
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
Everyone's heard about the NS-10s and it's characteristic sound, right? Well, I recently purchased an NS-20M for peanuts and thought I was lucky to come across these monitors which I found in the darkest corners of that surplus store I got it from. I had it re-wired by the Speaker Doctor and it's in brand new condition (at least to my untrained ears). Would anyone know if the NS-20s sound anything like the NS-10s? (I've never heard the 10s; no, those aren't my units on the pics below). I know that might seem improbable as these 20s have a separate tweeter and are also rated higher in terms of wattage (120 or 160w RMS, I think?). Their mid and bass drivers are exactly the same size but, based on the pics and the actual unit, are not made of the same cone material. Judging by the music I play thru them, they have a good midrange, not honky or anything like that, with clear highs. However, I find the lows pretty "weak" for want of a better term. This is even if I turn up the bass on my amps (my amps are the Sony home theater kinds). Finally, do these antedate the 10s or were they made after them? I get conflicting results from the web. Maybe someone who's heard the 20s can respond?

This just shows the 20M (left) alongside the 10M (right)

The NS-20M
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII