hulika

Author Topic: getting a good tone...  (Read 15296 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 07:58:16 AM »
Markflo,

Gusto ko rin ng CAA.  Sabi sa akin maganda ang clean pero hindi raw suwak so gusto ko na drive.  Pero that was before they came out with CAA with a WHOMP mod.

So, I really want to...

Offline markflo

getting a good tone...
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Markflo,

Gusto ko rin ng CAA.  Sabi sa akin maganda ang clean pero hindi raw suwak so gusto ko na drive.  Pero that was before they came out with CAA with a WHOMP mod.

So, I really want to...

yea man, amazing cleans...sobrang patay na patay ako sa tone ni scott henderson, he just has an rc booster and a bb boost in front of it...ahahaaay...

have you been to tone merchants here in orange, ca? it's just down the street from my work but i haven't gone...check out mo www.tonemerchants.com diyan nagtuturo ngayon si greg howe...tapos clinician nila si guthrie govan...tapos guest nila paminsan si scott henderson...

i'm looking for an amp with a fender-type clean tone but possibly (yea, i know i can just get another fender, but i wanna explore...hehe). all my od sounds come from my two od pedals so i don't really need an amp with an overdrive as i'll have no use for it. i just wanna know if there's an amp out there that can get really really really really REALLY clean...as in bright, sparkly, cleans...

i won't be upgrading amps till i find that 'ONE' ...hehehe...any suggestions?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 09:00:00 AM »
fingertapper,

Its hard to diagnose your problem.  It could be the guitar, or the pedals, or the pickups or the strings, etc.  But dont forget the amp which you dont have.  

Try out all the suggestions on this thread but I dont think one factor will solve your problem.  Before I tried a stock MT2, I had no problems with it even on low settings because I already had the right guitar and amp.  In short, baka ok lang current set up mo pero you dont have the right amp.  Before you try out any mods wherein you are required to spend, make sure may test unit you can match with your gear.  Once modded ang MT2 mo at hindi mo magustuhan at pumanget and tunog, wala na iyun.  Ang hirap na ibenta and you have nobody to blaim but yourself.

Mahirap kasi mga one size fits all solution lalo na kung hindi pa nakita ang buong set up mo.

sir it's not really a problem. it's more of finding/getting my ideal tone. kasi my set-up right now sounds great even on a 15watt practice amp but even better sa mga stage 100,marshall jcm900 and ibang high end amps sa mga gig. o kahit nga solid state na peavey or fender lang.

im just trying to achieve a dertain tone. ang problema lang talaga, in reality di mo rin talaga makukuha ung tone mo exactly kahit naka tube amp ka dahil di naman sa lahat ng venue parepareho ng amp. and sobrang hassle naman kung dadala ka pa ng amp bawat gig.

pero i think youre right about the mt2. kasi ngayon naman kuntento na talaga ko sa kanya e and the sounds it gives me. kaya i think i'll take ur advice. ung ts7 pag nakahanap ako yun nalang ipapamod ko hehe... mas mura e.

Offline markflo

getting a good tone...
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 11:58:52 AM »
and sobrang hassle naman kung dadala ka pa ng amp bawat gig.

you really gotta bring your own amp if you want your own sound dude. :)

Quote from: fingertapper1
fingertapper,

Its hard to diagnose your problem.  It could be the guitar, or the pedals, or the pickups or the strings, etc.  But dont forget the amp which you dont have.  

Try out all the suggestions on this thread but I dont think one factor will solve your problem.  Before I tried a stock MT2, I had no problems with it even on low settings because I already had the right guitar and amp.  In short, baka ok lang current set up mo pero you dont have the right amp.  Before you try out any mods wherein you are required to spend, make sure may test unit you can match with your gear.  Once modded ang MT2 mo at hindi mo magustuhan at pumanget and tunog, wala na iyun.  Ang hirap na ibenta and you have nobody to blaim but yourself.

Mahirap kasi mga one size fits all solution lalo na kung hindi pa nakita ang buong set up mo.

sir it's not really a problem. it's more of finding/getting my ideal tone. kasi my set-up right now sounds great even on a 15watt practice amp but even better sa mga stage 100,marshall jcm900 and ibang high end amps sa mga gig. o kahit nga solid state na peavey or fender lang.

im just trying to achieve a dertain tone. ang problema lang talaga, in reality di mo rin talaga makukuha ung tone mo exactly kahit naka tube amp ka dahil di naman sa lahat ng venue parepareho ng amp. and sobrang hassle naman kung dadala ka pa ng amp bawat gig.

pero i think youre right about the mt2. kasi ngayon naman kuntento na talaga ko sa kanya e and the sounds it gives me. kaya i think i'll take ur advice. ung ts7 pag nakahanap ako yun nalang ipapamod ko hehe... mas mura e.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 12:40:06 PM »
fingertapper,

Once modded ang MT2 mo at hindi mo magustuhan at pumanget and tunog, wala na iyun.  Ang hirap na ibenta and you have nobody to blaim but yourself.

I hope you *again* have basis for that last statement of yours. Have you had a non-invasive mod ruin your chance of selling an MT2 already ? Was that non-invasive mod irreversible ? It seems you do like to shoot from the hip.

Siguro naman you know that an asym clip mod is very much reversible. Well if you don't I'm telling you right now. It is reversible and if you put it back, it is undetectable that it was even there.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »
Pero nagalaw mo na ang board niya... Natamaan mo na ng soldering iron ang PCB niya.  Dalawang beses pa ang tama dahil kailangan mo tangalin ang iniligay mo at ibalik ang lumang components.

I suggest you have ready mods on different Boss effects so your potential clients can test them instead of you tirahin ang mga board nila without them hearing it first on their set up.  Besides, wala ka pa sa status ni Robert Keeley, makakasira lang sa iyo kung hindi magustuhan ang board at sabihin na pinangako mo na gaganda ang tunog nila.  More than anything, I am just giving you this unsolicited tip for your own protection because some of them might backbite.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2006, 03:12:40 PM »
now i'm beginning to enjoy oasgomez's post.
Surf's Up!

Offline Kulas

getting a good tone...
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2006, 03:53:44 PM »
eto lang ah, for tone consistency. (pero this is no guarantee parin) try to get  a good direct box. that way, you can plug direct to the mixer. with that at least mas magiging consistent tunog mo, you need not worry about any amp since you won't be using them. at least gamitin mo nalang yung amp simulator ng effects mo. more or less alam mo na kung ano magiging tunog mo. provided you have a good amp simulator with cabinet simulator. pero most of the new effects that came out have them naman. examples are yung korg ax1500, digitech rp-gnx series, line 6, boss, etc.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
now i'm beginning to enjoy oasgomez's post.

I hear you, glass. More easier to digest the informations. Giving me another way of seeing things in the musical world, hehe :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
Pero nagalaw mo na ang board niya... Natamaan mo na ng soldering iron ang PCB niya.  Dalawang beses pa ang tama dahil kailangan mo tangalin ang iniligay mo at ibalik ang lumang components.

I suggest you have ready mods on different Boss effects so your potential clients can test them instead of you tirahin ang mga board nila without them hearing it first on their set up.  Besides, wala ka pa sa status ni Robert Keeley, makakasira lang sa iyo kung hindi magustuhan ang board at sabihin na pinangako mo na gaganda ang tunog nila.  More than anything, I am just giving you this unsolicited tip for your own protection because some of them might backbite.

Thank you sa concern mo dude, pero again, with this unsolicited advice, you are again exposing how judgmental you can be on things you have no knowledge about. When will you ever learn?

Can you judge my soldering skills already Mr. Gomez ? Masyado kang pessimistic boy. In the hope of educating you a bit, I will discuss my soldering technique with you, sana lang maintindihan mo. My "standard" solder is even shinier and has lower resistance than the wave-soldered standard Boss production method. It just is. In fact, for me to get down to the wave soldered standards, I have to adjust and bring my iron up earlier than its cook time so it will turn slightly cold. So what kung tamaan ng soldering iron ko yung board? Will you be able to see the difference ? Did I do permanent damage to it ? Hindi ko ba kaya ibalik sa dati without any loss in aesthetics and functionality yung pedal nila ? Eto pa matindi...WILL A TYPICAL, POTENTIAL, SECOND-HAND BUYER OPEN UP A PEDAL JUST TO INSPECT THE SOLDERS ?

Again, Alex, if you can't do it, DON'T IMPOSE YOUR LIMITATION ON OTHERS. Kung ikaw ang type na nakakasunog ng PCB (that is, kung alam mo kung ano ang PCB) tuwing tatamaan ng soldering iron mo ang ginagawa mo, hindi lahat ay kagaya mo. Your presuppositions about the matter are totally out of whack with reality.

Wala talaga ako sa status ni Robert Keeley, at hindi ko career at ka-careerin ang pagmo-mod. Do you think the measly service fee I charge enriches me ? No. My real reward is to see fellow guitarists go into wide-eyed wonder at the beauty of the tone of the pedals that I touched.

I do have the info on Keeley mods and I can execute them, and can bring them back to stock. So you're saying only Robert Keeley has the right to open and mod pedals, is that it? Vai notwithstanding, I don't even like the Keeley seeing eye and ultra mod pedals.

Teka, teka, ikaw ba, ano na ba status mo to talk to me in such a condescending manner? How many pedals have you repaired, modded or built from scratch ? Kung si Keeley ka, baka me value pa sa kin ang iyong  unsolicited advice.

Isa pa ha. I mod the pedal and I let the customer listen. If he doesnt like it, I'll return it to it's original state and they don't have to pay, except for the time wasted which cannot be refunded. Now if you mod your pedal, by nature, you are taking a risk of wasting my  time and yours. That is the price you pay for paying only PPP instead of the $$$$ that Keeley charges. At eto pa. If for some reason although how far remote that is that I cannot satisfy my customer, I WILL BUY HIS PEDAL AT A FAIR PRICE AND KEEP IT FOR MYSELF. That is my risk, protection and enjoyment that I can buy for myself.  

Eto naman ang unsolicited tip ko for you. Do yourself a favor and stop embarrasing yourself by attempting to project yourself as the authority in things that you hardly know about.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2006, 04:35:26 PM »
ARAY KO PO! pumunta na lng kayo sa 25th sa PURPLE HAZE at idaan sa mabuting usapan lahat..
 :lol:

wohooo!!!! :lol:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2006, 05:21:08 PM »
Quote from: BAMF

Thank you sa concern mo dude, pero again, with this unsolicited advice, you are again exposing how judgmental you can be on things you have no knowledge about. When will you ever learn?

Can you judge my soldering skills already Mr. Gomez ? Masyado kang pessimistic boy. In the hope of educating you a bit, I will discuss my soldering technique with you, sana lang maintindihan mo. My "standard" solder is even shinier and has lower resistance than the wave-soldered standard Boss production method. It just is. In fact, for me to get down to the wave soldered standards, I have to adjust and bring my iron up earlier than its cook time so it will turn slightly cold. So what kung tamaan ng soldering iron ko yung board? Will you be able to see the difference ? Did I do permanent damage to it ? Hindi ko ba kaya ibalik sa dati without any loss in aesthetics and functionality yung pedal nila ? Eto pa matindi...WILL A TYPICAL, POTENTIAL, SECOND-HAND BUYER OPEN UP A PEDAL JUST TO INSPECT THE SOLDERS ?

Again, Alex, if you can't do it, DON'T IMPOSE YOUR LIMITATION ON OTHERS. Kung ikaw ang type na nakakasunog ng PCB (that is, kung alam mo kung ano ang PCB) tuwing tatamaan ng soldering iron mo ang ginagawa mo, hindi lahat ay kagaya mo. Your presuppositions about the matter are totally out of whack with reality.

Wala talaga ako sa status ni Robert Keeley, at hindi ko career at ka-careerin ang pagmo-mod. Do you think the measly service fee I charge enriches me ? No. My real reward is to see fellow guitarists go into wide-eyed wonder at the beauty of the tone of the pedals that I touched.

I do have the info on Keeley mods and I can execute them, and can bring them back to stock. So you're saying only Robert Keeley has the right to open and mod pedals, is that it? Vai notwithstanding, I don't even like the Keeley seeing eye and ultra mod pedals.

Teka, teka, ikaw ba, ano na ba status mo to talk to me in such a condescending manner? How many pedals have you repaired, modded or built from scratch ? Kung si Keeley ka, baka me value pa sa kin ang iyong  unsolicited advice.

Isa pa ha. I mod the pedal and I let the customer listen. If he doesnt like it, I'll return it to it's original state and they don't have to pay, except for the time wasted which cannot be refunded. Now if you mod your pedal, by nature, you are taking a risk of wasting my  time and yours. That is the price you pay for paying only PPP instead of the $$$$ that Keeley charges. At eto pa. If for some reason although how far remote that is that I cannot satisfy my customer, I WILL BUY HIS PEDAL AT A FAIR PRICE AND KEEP IT FOR MYSELF. That is my risk, protection and enjoyment that I can buy for myself.  

Eto naman ang unsolicited tip ko for you. Do yourself a favor and stop embarrasing yourself by attempting to project yourself as the authority in things that you hardly know about.
=D> =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>

Offline rainierito

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2006, 03:29:32 AM »
how to get a good tone....

tweak tweak tweak
until you succeed---

korni ba?

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 05:59:21 AM »
BAMF,

OK.  That deal sounds fair.  Fingertapper, try it out but any mod on anything stock assuming that BAMF can do it right still devalues a pedal even if nobody gets to open it for the simple reason that these pedals are not designed to be modified outside the manufacturing process they were made on.

If you truly believe in your mods, why dont you buy second hand donor pedals and mod them so that people dont need to have their own pedals opened up and exposed to your wonderful solder technique?  I just believe somebody trying out your work should NOT have to go thru the hassle of getting their pedal modifed just to try you out.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 06:27:46 AM »
Simply because there are too many mods possible, and it's not practical for me have a demo unit for each and every mod. One customer will want more distortion. Another less. Another, more bass. Another, more gain. And the list goes on.

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 07:24:24 AM »
BAMF,

Let it be known that I think BAMF is worth trying out as long as he offers to buy back your pedal at fair market value if you dont like the sound with your personal set up.  This is testimony to BAMF's confidence in his product. AND there is no better deal than that on the face of this planet!!!

That being said I still do not know if his modification is unobtrusive, wont damage the pcb and its others components or is reversible because:

1) He is not an authorized Boss pedal repair center.
2) He has not tried the ultimate Litmus Test -- to send a reversed modded Boss pedal under the 5 year limited lifetime warranty to Japan Boss Customer Service to see if they can detect his work in terms of labor, parts and sound.  If they say that there is nothing wrong with the pedal then bilib na ako kay BAMF.

More power to BAMF pedals.  Give it a try but dont expect it to be on par with other boutique pedals ... just take it as it is and enjoy.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 08:24:12 AM »
Alam nyo oasgomez and BAMF.. let fingertapper1 decide for himself kung anong gusto nyang gawin...

kung gumanda ang tunog nung na-mod na pedal, GREAT! kung di naman, e di ibenta, im sure someone will find it nice...tsaka generally speaking, kahit anong pedal naman, boutique or not, bumababa ang value when being sold second hand.

no need to question each other's abilities or preferences para walang gulo.

oh, no offense oasgomes.. since wala naman perfect tone unless its coming from your own gears..why not just give each one of us here in the forum the same gears as you have..siguro that way, there will never be any discussion about tone and preferences...ever.

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 08:40:18 AM »
SonnyRay,

I second your point.  In fact that was my original reco -- for fingertapper to bring his whole set up to test.  Look at my first post on this thread.  I just got turned off with the modify first than I will let you hear method.  But since BAMF, already corrected that with his offer.  Its just such a great thing on BAMF's part.

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
getting a good tone...
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 11:51:01 AM »
mga sir easy lang po.
nakakahiya naman kay sir bamf at sir oasgomez at nagaway pa kayo sa thread ko. as of now i decided to make most of my gear nlng muna and give the ax1500g a second chance. and ok naman! thanks to sir sonnyrayvaughn for the ptaches. i really appreciate your help.

about sa modding.
i still intend have a ts-7 modded or maybe the mt-2 pag sawa na talaga ko sa tunog. kasi in modding lahat naman talaga may risk e. kahit pa mod ng pedals... minsan yung mga console(ps2) etc... there "might" be a problem pero i trust naman the people here kasi isang community tayo dito at di naman siguro tayo maglolokohan. and as sirbamf said reversible naman daw. ang habol ko is tunog at tone ng pedal rather than the aesthtics although most of my pedals are in mint condition. but i'll stick with my gear for now.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »
BAMF,

Let it be known that I think BAMF is worth trying out as long as he offers to buy back your pedal at fair market value if you dont like the sound with your personal set up.  This is testimony to BAMF's confidence in his product. AND there is no better deal than that on the face of this planet!!!

That being said I still do not know if his modification is unobtrusive, wont damage the pcb and its others components or is reversible because:

1) He is not an authorized Boss pedal repair center.
2) He has not tried the ultimate Litmus Test -- to send a reversed modded Boss pedal under the 5 year limited lifetime warranty to Japan Boss Customer Service to see if they can detect his work in terms of labor, parts and sound.  If they say that there is nothing wrong with the pedal then bilib na ako kay BAMF.

More power to BAMF pedals.  Give it a try but dont expect it to be on par with other boutique pedals ... just take it as it is and enjoy.

Linawin natin ha before you make baseless assumptions again and start putting things in my mouth.  I will buy the pedal if I irreversibly damage it, irreparably damage its resale value or if I cannot bring it back to stock. Now that's really going to be a real unsatisfactory condition.

But don't bust an artery Alex. Most of my mods involve only one solder pad. And yes, just because of this, I'm quite certain I will pass the reverse mod test. :D wawa ka naman all that hoola for nothing. Para makahirit ka lang ng something, hirit ka pa din. Sige na nga...papatulan kita all the way. Gimme your pedal  if you have a DS-1 or any similar overdrive circuit that employs a twin diode clip stage. I'll mod it, use it for a week, return it to stock, return to you and you send it off to Japan. If they say you voided warranty because they detected an unauthorized solder, I'll buy your pedal. Pero if it passes...ano...give me the pedal for me to keep.

O, you wanna test pa yung isa mo pang ala sa hulog na hirit, na mawawala ang value ng isang MT2 kapag tinamaan ng soldering iron ? I'll mod an MT2, use it for a week and then let someone else, anonymously, sell it. Pag nabenta sya at fair market price...PASAMPAL KA SA KIN ON VIDEO ?  Call ?

Hirap kasi sa yo at sa mga kagaya mo...ang solusyon mo lang sa lahat ng bagay ay hagisan ng pera ang problema. Paano yung mga walang pambayad sa Boss Service Center ? Paano kung tanggihan kang i-mod yung pedal sa gusto mong tunog (oh yeah all of it is unauthorized). E di kung ganun naman pala, why even bother considering a mod kung ang problema mo pala e warranty ? Won't anyone in his right mind find that argument self-contradicting and STUPID ?  Let it be known na din na that is an inherent risk of modding your pedal !  Naku...sana pagpalain ka na maghirap ka sa buhay para maranasan mo naman ang nararanasan ng mga kagaya naming walang pambili ng mga stuff mo na hindi naman investments dahil hindi naman gumagawa ng pera.  Naway' biyayaan ka ng Maykapal ng kaunting pakikisama at pakikiramay sa mga hindi kasing palad mo at mabawawan ang kahambugan mo.

That being said anyway, I have clones of DS-1's and MT2's that can be easily fabricated, thus completely sidestepping your irrelevant concern for those who don't want to void their warranties.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2006, 01:31:16 AM »
oh man.. peace muna tayo mga sir..

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2006, 02:51:39 AM »
Honga. Come to think of it, I do agree with him at some point. It aint boutique (lol) nor did I masquerade it to be...it's just an improvement. No need for me to bust an artery as well...that much was all true anyway.

My "boutique" line which I'm pursuing are the Analog Ampsims. Just finished the JCM 800 Ampsim, which I'll demo on the 25th.  I'll contribute a couple of ampsims that others have not yet done, like the Bogner Ecstasy, Soldano SLO100 (almost finished on PCB-CAD) and as soon as the schematic comes out, the Diezel Herbert.

That way, ordinary mortals like us can be in the ballpark of these expensive electronics without shelling 4,000 dollars :D.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
getting a good tone...
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »
My "standard" solder is even shinier and has lower resistance than the wave-soldered standard Boss production method. It just is. In fact, for me to get down to the wave soldered standards, I have to adjust and bring my iron up earlier than its cook time so it will turn slightly cold.

I think any hand soldering by a good technician is instantly better than the wave soldering by mass producers.  Fender does wave soldering on most of their PCB amps too and it seems that a common problem with them is broken /cold solder joints that were there from the get-go (factory). So what do you do when that happens, you bring it to a real person, a repair guy like Lito or Raul and have them hand-solder it.  It instantly becomes a better amp, at least in terms of reliability.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
getting a good tone...
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim
My "standard" solder is even shinier and has lower resistance than the wave-soldered standard Boss production method. It just is. In fact, for me to get down to the wave soldered standards, I have to adjust and bring my iron up earlier than its cook time so it will turn slightly cold.

I think any hand soldering by a good technician is instantly better than the wave soldering by mass producers.  Fender does wave soldering on most of their PCB amps too and it seems that a common problem with them is broken /cold solder joints that were there from the get-go (factory). So what do you do when that happens, you bring it to a real person, a repair guy like Lito or Raul and have them hand-solder it.  It instantly becomes a better amp, at least in terms of reliability.

Honga hehehe. It did sound like I was tooting my own horn, I shoulda said something like "any techician worth his soldering salt should  solder  better than wave-solder" :D Maybe I was talking too much from my own perspective instead of speaking in general terms :D

Which is true. If all that a pedal tech did was to resolder everything on a pedal, a better pedal would be the result. Voided warranties notwithstanding :D.

Offline spyderman

getting a good tone...
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
boss ds-1... or an ibanez tubescreamer.... best distortion sound with less tweaking.