hulika

Author Topic: TULONG!!PLS  (Read 2118 times)

Offline adrix7

TULONG!!PLS
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:33:28 AM »
hi guys i am having problems doing midi record with my desktop and keys RD-700sx. im using sonar home studio 4, i have installed all the necessary cables, im using yamaha UX16 midi interface and aside from that i also tried using direct usb cable, keys to pc. installed all the necessary drivers.. everything registerd perfectly well in the sonar. but now the problem is when i start recording some midi tracks, let say 1 and 2. they would exactly sound the same.. i mean whenever i would change patches, the previous tracks would also sound as the current patch im recording on producing a homogenous sound for all tracks! ive set the inputs in omni mode and also tried changing it to diffrent channels in each track.. but still same sound/problem.... i guess what im tryn to say is i think ive tried most of the juggling conectns i can thnk of..  :D  :cry:

this is my first cakewalk pls guys help me make it a good experience !!!

thanks a lot!!!

adrix
write stuff

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:36:41 AM »
Normally, with a Roland, you have to be in Performance mode to be able to use their keyboards multitimbrally. I downloaded their manual and, typically of Roland, they don't explain clearly how to use the RD in performance mode and, worse, the RD does not have a Performance button unlike other Roland keyboards.

I suggest using the Rhythm/Song mode and try using a blank song. This should open up all 16 midi channels for sequencing. The problem is not with the connections but with the mode of operation of which the manual isn't a big help (RTFM doesn't apply in this case). Page 91 of the manual shows how to assign tones to a part - this is the section that deals with multitimbral operation.

hth,
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline adrix7

THANKS SUPERMAN!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:27:12 PM »
HI KIT thanks for your time again you are a real hero in this forum!!! 8)  hehe
keep it up we need guys like you to guide us in this world of music  technology!!!

cheers!!!
write stuff

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
i think what happened is you changed patch from the RD and transmitted patch change to sonar...disable midi TX...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:25 PM »
Quote from: skin
i think what happened is you changed patch from the RD and transmitted patch change to sonar...disable midi TX...

From the RD? Then how can you record real time input? There is no need to disable midi TX, just set sonar to filter out patch changes or just accept note input.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:43:44 PM »
Quote from: KitC
Quote from: skin

From the RD? Then how can you record real time input? There is no need to disable midi TX, just set sonar to filter out patch changes or just accept note input.

you can still record midi in real time...i think his problem is once he plays the midi, all patches turn to piano...i think all midi tracks are at patch 1...try to set them to none if you're gonna use the sounds of the RD...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »
There are many reasons why a track will revert to piano patch; embedded sysex reset messages, patch/controller searchback settings in Sonar, reset messages upon stop, as well as patch changes transmitted by the RD. You can set the RD not to transmit patch change/button presses, or you can set Sonar to ignore receiving and sending patch/bank change messages.

You can also use the event editing window to remove every instance of patch changes in all tracks if those commands are already embedded in the midi tracks.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
TULONG!!PLS
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
haha...my mistake...patch change transmit pala ang dapat disable...not midi tx...sorry...

Offline adrix7

salamat po
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 11:32:20 AM »
8) thanks guys...!! whew made it at last, i adjusted the track channel in cakewalk and in the rd (view parameters) too..!!  by the way im using cakewalk home studio 4 do you think i will need a usb mixer? for a better sound recording within the pc once i convert my midi to audio? or what do you think should i still need??

salamat po.... :D
write stuff

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: salamat po
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »
Quote from: adrix7
by the way im using cakewalk home studio 4 do you think i will need a usb mixer? for a better sound recording within the pc once i convert my midi to audio? or what do you think should i still need??

First, get a very good soundcard if you are going to record to pc. Remember that with asio drivers, you can only use one asio device at a time so, if you have a separate soundcard AND a usb mixer, you can only use one or the other but not both simultaneously. Also remember the most usb mixers are USB 1.1 devices with limited data bandwidth. In my experience with usb sound devices, stereo operation is the safest way to go so if you intend to track more than 2 channels at a time, you run a higher risk of data dropouts.