hulika

Author Topic: Vintage and Modern Super Strats  (Read 3392 times)

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
Vintage and Modern Super Strats
« on: May 29, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Much about have been discussed on vintage vs. modern traditional guitars (Les Paul, Strat, Tele, 335 etc.)

Let's talk about Vintage and Modern Super Strats. How do you feel about "vintage" and "modern" super strats". Mas ok ba ang super strats ngayon kaysa nung 80's and 90's?. I never owned a super strat and the closest thing to a super strat that i've played ay yung Gibson M3 na binenta ko noon. I played for like a total of 10 minutes only. haha

Vintage: Made during the late 70's to mid 2000's (examples: Kramer EVH, Musicman Wolfgang, Peavey Wolfgang)
Modern: Made during mid 2000's to present (examples: Charvel Frankenstrat, EVH Wolfgang)

:)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Vintage and Modern Super Strats
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:28:43 PM »
Ibanez. Those are superstrats right?  I've played an RG before. A prestige to be exact and it feels like fingering a neck and string made of cotton. That damn guitar sounds heavy as well. Cannot find a good clean sound. Not my cup of tea..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:13:59 AM by nicoyow »
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 04:25:49 AM »
Ibanez. This are superstrats right?  I've played an RG before. A prestige to be exact and it feels like fingering a neck and string made of cotton. That damn guitar sounds heavy as well. Cannot find a good clean sound. Not my cup of tea..

Haha yup. I don’t know the actual numbers pero i think majority of Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, ESP/LTD and Schecter’s products Super Strats.
What i’d like to know is how is the quality (build-wise and sound-wise) of the older super strats versus the modern ones.

Suhr, Tom Anderson, James Tyler, Caparison, Mayones, Legator, Chapman, Solar etc.. also counts. Hehe

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:26 AM »
Haha yup. I don’t know the actual numbers pero i think majority of Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel, ESP/LTD and Schecter’s products Super Strats.
What i’d like to know is how is the quality (build-wise and sound-wise) of the older super strats versus the modern ones.

Suhr, Tom Anderson, James Tyler, Caparison, Mayones, Legator, Chapman, Solar etc.. also counts. Hehe
build-wise, I can't say more but the prestige I got to try seems pretty well built. It doesn't feel cheap on my hands but, yeah what I have mentioned before. That thing can't even give stress to my fingers. So soft yet so heavy sounding.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
A lot of people swear by the old Jacksons and Charvels since they were pretty much the guys that created the popular superstrat template. That said, I've never warmed up to the super fast and flat raidused necks that most super strats are equipped with.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
A lot of people swear by the old Jacksons and Charvels since they were pretty much the guys that created the popular superstrat template. That said, I've never warmed up to the super fast and flat raidused necks that most super strats are equipped with.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Naka subok ako ng Ibanez JEM at Ibanez S-Series. Pero mga modern versions na ata kasi Made in Indonesia na. Ang liliit ng neck! Di ako sanay.

I was surprised na ang mga Jacksons ngayon ay Made In India...and they look really nice. Naka EMG Pickups pa! (not sure about the trem)..

Sabi ni Phil McKnight (Gear Reviewer sa Youtube), nag shootout daw sila ng EVH Wolfgang na MIJ vs. MIC...halos wala daw pagkakaiba. Pati build quality parehas na parehas.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Maybe if we're talking about the technology, super strats nowadays are "better." I'm talking about floating bridges, and pickups. Wood and other peripherals, I'm not sure. I'm the kind of guy that as long as it sounds good to my ears and plays well, it's all good.

:lol:

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
Vintage will not automatically mean good sounding at the least. Build quality will be very inconsistent and most of them would most likely have disappeared already for one reason or another. The small number of vintage instruments remaining makes it more difficult to actually find a good one, more so for great sounding ones. More than just the Super Strats from the late 70s, this also applies to even the coveted and highly-priced 54s, 57s, 59s and 63s.

Modern built guitars, on the other hand, have a higher chance of having more good sounding guitars in one production batch. This is due to current technology that allows for a very consistent build from guitar 1 to guitar 1,000 and from parts to parts. So assuming that a bunch of guitars with parts and modern build quality being equal and of high-quality, there are more good sounding guitars now than vintage ones.

The hunt now is not for a good sounding one but for that exceptionally great sounding one.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Vintage will not automatically mean good sounding at the least. Build quality will be very inconsistent and most of them would most likely have disappeared already for one reason or another. The small number of vintage instruments remaining makes it more difficult to actually find a good one, more so for great sounding ones. More than just the Super Strats from the late 70s, this also applies to even the coveted and highly-priced 54s, 57s, 59s and 63s.

Modern built guitars, on the other hand, have a higher chance of having more good sounding guitars in one production batch. This is due to current technology that allows for a very consistent build from guitar 1 to guitar 1,000 and from parts to parts. So assuming that a bunch of guitars with parts and modern build quality being equal and of high-quality, there are more good sounding guitars now than vintage ones.

The hunt now is not for a good sounding one but for that exceptionally great sounding one.

Yung Charvel Guthrie Govan...may mga reviews na maganda tunog nya. May ibang review..."bakit ganun"?!?. I think it's a good sounding guitar pero hindi lahat can make it sound great. I don't know...am i making sense? haha

Question: Meron bang superstrat (or super tele/ super standard) na medyo chunky yung neck? like soft-v chunky?

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
A prestige to be exact and it feels like fingering a neck and string made of cotton.

After ko magka-tendinitis, naappreciate ko yung neck ng ibanez.  :razz:

Question: Meron bang superstrat (or super tele/ super standard) na medyo chunky yung neck? like soft-v chunky?

yung ernieball luke ata sir soft v na chunky. superstrat din naman ata un hehe  :wave:
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »
Yung Charvel Guthrie Govan...may mga reviews na maganda tunog nya. May ibang review..."bakit ganun"?!?. I think it's a good sounding guitar pero hindi lahat can make it sound great. I don't know...am i making sense? haha

I don't know. Maybe it's because of the amps used and the players' touch? In the end, the final word/decision will be yours only. :) Personally, I can only be happy with gear I've tried, tested and chosen than gear acquired because of reviews and/or recommendations.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 07:39:20 PM »
I don't know. Maybe it's because of the amps used and the players' touch? In the end, the final word/decision will be yours only. :) Personally, I can only be happy with gear I've tried, tested and chosen than gear acquired because of reviews and/or recommendations.
Same thing as acquiring a well maintain second hand guitar over a dead brand new. Basically because you know it will sound good not because it is vintage but because the first owner maintained it, used it, play with it, and can testify it is a really good guitar.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »
I take guitars individually so that means in any one year there are good and bad guitars.  Now for example, if you compare the best of lets say 1985 to the best of 2005, thats hard to do and tell.

Also, Super Strats are a broad thing for example:

1) What about Kramer Pacers which were one of the earlier super strats with floyd?
2) What about a 70s Fender modified with a Floyd Rose and given a bridge humbucker? Do you consider that a super strat or a vintage strat?
3) What about early Schecter assembled super strats?  I mean these are DIY guitars so are they super strats?

What I am trying to get at IS:  the differentiation does NOT matter because you have to take every individual as itself.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 07:36:40 AM »
I think "superstrats" are defined as guitars that resemble a strat but not a hot rodded strat. It was probably coined when grover jackson released the soloist. It was meant to mean guitars that mix traditional gibson then fender strat specs.

-24 or more frets
-smaller double cutaway body vs a strat with slimmer horns for upper fret access
-Humbucker equipped so that is a mix of gibson specs.
-Neck thru or bolt on

Hot rodded strats are those old schecter, and humbucking stratocasters with floyd.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:45:52 AM by Bolt Thrower »

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. I am just a fan of late 70's and 80's music that there will always be this desire to own a super strat.  :mrgreen:

...or maybe bibili na lng ako ng HSH loaded pickguard at ilagay ko yun sa strat ko. haha

These Suhr super strats i dig:

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
when i hear the word superstrats all i can think of are jackson/charvel

my 1989 charvel 650xl

made 1989.... so do you consider this vintage?
it already has active pickup circuitry with mid boost..... neckthru construction..... and schaller floyd...... way ahead of its time and way better than the modern superstrats nowadays (not includin custom shop and bowtik guitars syempre)

i feel like the vintage superstrats are WAY better than modern superstrats..... they don't make them like they used to anymore....... masyado nang commercialized ngayon kaya hinde na ganun kaganda ang quality...... mas maganda tingnan pero di ganun kaganda ang qualiity....... they look good on paper pero di ganun kaganda pag natry mo na.

wala namang nagbago..... yung mga modern superstrats ngayon based rin lang sa mga vintage supertrats......nabawasan lang ng quality
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:21:33 PM by mbsunga »

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
Are blackmachines, mayones and other boutique guitars considered superstrats?
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
I think so. haha basta strat based body, may humbucker, whammy bar at fast shreddy neck...i'd call it a superstrat. But it's just me.  :)

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:17 PM »
when i hear the word superstrats all i can think of are jackson/charvel

my 1989 charvel 650xl

made 1989.... so do you consider this vintage?
it already has active pickup circuitry with mid boost..... neckthru construction..... and schaller floyd...... way ahead of its time and way better than the modern superstrats nowadays (not includin custom shop and bowtik guitars syempre)

i feel like the vintage superstrats are WAY better than modern superstrats..... they don't make them like they used to anymore....... masyado nang commercialized ngayon kaya hinde na ganun kaganda ang quality...... mas maganda tingnan pero di ganun kaganda ang qualiity....... they look good on paper pero di ganun kaganda pag natry mo na.

wala namang nagbago..... yung mga modern superstrats ngayon based rin lang sa mga vintage supertrats......nabawasan lang ng quality

Gusto ko tuloy patulan yung Charvel Model 6 na malapit sa akin dito. Kaso mas ako yung toothpaste logo.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/d/vintage-1987-charvel-jackson/6646810840.html

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
Gusto ko tuloy patulan yung Charvel Model 6 na malapit sa akin dito. Kaso mas ako yung toothpaste logo.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/d/vintage-1987-charvel-jackson/6646810840.html

yan ang ninuno ng gitara ko at ng mga super strats hehe. yan ang vintage na japanese jackson/charvel

Offline denden009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »
Are Peavey T-Series guitars and Washburn Wing Series considered as superstrats?

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 01:01:35 AM »
 Vintage/Modern Super Strat/Jazzmaster

Not a super strat by most kids' standard, but I consider it one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:57:06 AM by SixtyCycleOhm »

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »
My definition of superstrat is any strat with at least with a humbucker bridge pickup and a Floyd bridge.Vintage vs modern i can't comment but mine is vintage and happy with it.
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"