hulika

Author Topic: Tips for a Jazz Newbie please  (Read 5263 times)

Offline musicismymedicine

Tips for a Jazz Newbie please
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »
Hi philmusic-ers! I just started listening to Jazz and I started out with Miles' Davis Kind of blue. "So what", "all bues" and "freddie freeloader" blew me away. I was looking to give Scofield a shot..any suggestions which album I should start with?

Offline dannygatton

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for a Jazz Newbie please
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Kind of Blue--great album to start with. Any albums of Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk. For guitars I go for Wes and Joe Pass. 

Offline bastian.poke.ingrid

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »
I recommend the old school Razorback, The Jerks and Led zep if you're a Guitarist.
"You can't have too much of a Good Blues"

Offline modesmaster

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
I recommend the old school Razorback, The Jerks and Led zep if you're a Guitarist.
are you kidding?  :-o

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
are you kidding?  :-o

Actually! Ayoko lang humirit pero ang labo talaga ng comment na led zep pakinggan para sa Jazz. Try listening to Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out"

Look for Wes Montgomery and Barney Kessel compilations

Offline haxo55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »

+1 jazz na jazz sir :D
Quote from: Philmusic.com
News:
oh yeah, our search engine is powered by Chuck Norris as well

Offline bastian.poke.ingrid

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:33 AM »
+1 jazz na jazz sir :D
Actually! Ayoko lang humirit pero ang labo talaga ng comment na led zep pakinggan para sa Jazz. Try listening to Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out"

Look for Wes Montgomery and Barney Kessel compilations

Oooppsss... Malabo nga talaga, This reply is supposed to be for the BLUES inquiry reply... Sorry guys, my bad.  :-(
"You can't have too much of a Good Blues"

Offline mabagalnakamay

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »
brian culbertson, david benoit, billy childsm lee ritenour, kenny garrett,

Offline musicismymedicine

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
thank you for the kind advice!!! right now hooked on dave brubeck's "take five" and charles mingus "blues and roots"...exciting journey!!! ang tanong ko lang...do you guys have a clue as to what they are playing (in the technical sense)...wala lang..parang so many sounds/movements happening at the same time but somehow...its a type of chaos that is harmonically sound/cohesive...

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:12 AM »
I think you can really learn so much from "Kind of Blue". I think "So What" the first cut on the album features only 2 chords and the musicians just shift in and out of Scale modes to vary the mood. I think it only features a Dm7 vamp and Ebm7 vamp and starts out with a Dorian Mode lick and then goes beautifully haywire from there.
I think the musicians came in without rehearsing and Miles just had initial "sketches" of the chords and asked everyone to improvise their ass off (this is overly simplistic as these musicians were the best and had considerable knowledge of music theory).

They used super imposed scale modes to vary the mood.

Bill Evans is highly under rated for his contribution to this album. Listen to him as he frames Miles and Coltrane's lines with different chords to alter the mood of the music.

Galing.

Plus his liner notes on the album pretty much sums up Jazz improv for me.

"There is a Japanese visual art in which the artist is forced to be spontaneous. He must paint on a thin stretched parchment with a special brush and black water paint in such a way that an unnatural or interrupted stroke will destroy the line or break through the parchment. Erasures or changes are impossible. These artists must practice a particular discipline, that of allowing the idea to express itself in communication with their hands in such a direct way that deliberation cannot interfere.

The resulting pictures lack the complex composition and textures of ordinary painting, but it is said that those who see well find something captured that escapes explanation.

This conviction that direct deed is the most meaningful reflections, I believe, has prompted the evolution of the extremely severe and unique disciplines of the jazz or improvising musician.

Group improvisation is a further challenge. Aside from the weighty technical problem of collective coherent thinking, there is the very human, even social need for sympathy from all members to bend for the common result. This most difficult problem, I think, is beautifully met and solved on this recording.

As the painter needs his framework of parchment, the improvising musical group needs its framework in time,. Miles Davis presents here frameworks which are exquisite in their simplicity and yet contain all that is necessary to stimulate performance with sure reference to the primary conception.

Miles conceived these settings only hours before the recording dates and arrived with sketches which indicated to the group what was to be played. Therefore, you will hear something close to pure spontaneity in these performances. The group had never played these pieces prior to the recordings and I think without exception the first complete performance of each was a "take."

--- Bill Evans 

Offline putchazta_46

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
I'm no jazz purist pero ako suggest ko "Special Others" eto kasi pinapakingan ko ngyon hehe also strating out sa jazz. Upbeat at mapapasayaw ka. Sorry experts kung di ako nagsimula sa legends or basic influences ng jazz hehe.

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
Jazz in General:

Bill Evans: Sunday at the village vanguard, Extrapolation
John Coltrane: A Love Supreme, Blue Train
Miles Davis: Bitches Brew, Kind of Blue
Eric Dolphy: Out to Lunch
Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to come
Weather Report: Heavy Weather*

Guitarists:
Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life
Wes Montgomery: Smokin at the Half Note
Pat Martino: El Hombre
Grant Green: Idle Moments
Larry Carlton: Last Nite*
John SCofield: A Go Go*

* Toes the "FUSION" line (Some purists look down at the genre)

Happy Listenin'!!

Ngayon lang din ako nag focus ng interest sa Jazz. Came from Rock and Blues. Pero iba hatak niya lalo na if you're learning to play it!!

Offline hedecapitated

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:49:11 AM »
Whoa! this thread really helps a lot! salamat sa mga info d2 mga Sirs.. :-D
Paul-KNK/DFA-Idos