hulika

Author Topic: Saxophone 101: Where to start?  (Read 18908 times)

Offline busykillingdragons

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Saxophone 101: Where to start?
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:40 PM »
Hello guys!

New in this forum. :-D Undoubtedly, this was the only phil-based music forum I found that has a considerable fan base.  ^-^

I like music. Then one day I thought of creating music on my own - or at least start where I left ages ago. I played the guitar when I was younger then stopped when I can play some popular songs (kinda guilty about it, really, that I never tried to learn how to read notes). I also tried to study violin but my studies, not my will, got the best of me.

Above all those mentioned, my fascination with the saxophone stuck with me eversince I first heard it on vinyl when I was a toddler. It was more than its curves that made it timeless. Its tone and musicality was sublime, its speed was thrilling and the story it conveys was addictive. In short - I started I love affair with jazz.

I want to take my relationship with my "mistress" to the next level by studying the saxophone. Now with a job, I can save up some money and buy my own horn. I started this topic hoping you guys can help me and other soon-to be saxophonists ever eager to meet people who has the same fascination with this instrument. Who knows? This thread might change someone's curiosity to a lifelong passion.

1) Are there saxphone rentals in the Philippines? Some people in the U.S. recommend to try the instrument first before buying a horn.
2) What kind of sax should I buy as a beginner? Alto, Soprano, or Tenor?
3) How much do I need to buy a saxphone? Second hand or brandnew?
4) Are YouTube tutorials or books enough to learn the basics?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:16:35 PM by busykillingdragons »

Offline Sigesigesputnik

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Saxophone 101: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »
1) Are there saxphone rentals in the Philippines? Some people in the U.S. recommend to try the instrument first before buying a horn. -Search in www.sulit.com.ph , i saw one yesterday.
2) What kind of sax should I buy as a beginner? Alto, Soprano, or Tenor?
  -depende sa gusto mo, most players started on ALto i guess..
3) How much do I need to buy a saxphone? Second hand or brandnew?
-taiwan/china made nowadays are good says the pro players ( Premier/Global brand ) Join sax society philippines on facebook and try to ask One. also visit sulit.com.ph.. brandnew china made sax starts from Php13k+
-yes if you are resourceful enough.. you may try to DL at 4shared.com / scribd.com

i hope this helps.

Offline jeff_proX40

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
1) Are there saxphone rentals in the Philippines? Some people in the U.S. recommend to try the instrument first before buying a horn. - Not so much here in the PH. I know the cheapest and realy high quality horns (second hand) are in Panggasinan and La Union (Some Times in Baguio) If you're looking for really nice brands such as Conn, Yamaha, Bundy etc.
2) What kind of sax should I buy as a beginner? Alto, Soprano, or Tenor? Most good players I know started using tenor then shifting back and forth to also and soprano.
3) How much do I need to buy a saxphone? Second hand or brandnew? Second Hand (with nice brands) are good buys. I know a person you can contact if you're interested to buy but he's either in Baguio or Panggasinan but he can travel to manila if you're really interested. He also has a wide variety of brands to choose from (but all of them are second hand horns). Price range can start from (10k - 250k) depending on what brand you are buying. Conn is the brand usually trusted in buying sax because of its quality, sound and price (you can buy a second hand Conn sax for only 12k - 20k).
Look for the book "Solfeo" and use youtube on how to use the instrument. The book will teach you how to read notes from lesson 1 (do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-si-do-ti-la-sol-fa-mi-re-do) to the more complicated once like tripplets, flats, sharps, doted notes, dynamics etc. This is that basic book used in almost all marching bands in schools.

If you have more questions let me know. You can reach me @ 09228601659. If you're interested to buy second hand horns I'll refer you to my contact and you can talk to him about it.
Just let your music fill the empty spaces in you. It's all you have so take advantage of it. It's a gift!

Offline busykillingdragons

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys :) :)