hulika

Author Topic: Drummers' HEALTH AND FITNESS thread  (Read 36963 times)

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
Drummers' HEALTH AND FITNESS thread
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
I dunno if someone posted this na....

Pero pwede kaya? Hindi ba titigas ang flow ng palo mo?

Please answer me... Kasi binabalak ko mag-gym para magkaroon ng shape katawan ko ng konti. Hindi puro taba. >.<
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuña Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
Is it advisable for drummers to do weight training?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »
its alright to pump some iron for fitness and still be a drummer, u will actually feel a lot stronger and have more control over your limbs. it will of course affect your drumming if you focus more on weightlifting. if pay equal attention to both or more on drumming then it shouldnt be a problem . virgil donati is into serious weightlifting and rugby. i myself am into bodybuilding and martial arts to stay fit and i should say that sometimes i look like a buffed up goon behind a kit during my peak, it may not be pretty sight kasi parang bouncer behind a drumkit eh so i just keep a ripped up look instead of a chunk of beef who plays the drums but who cares, i only play privately and for fun. hehehe, oh and always use those V shaped springy hand squeezy things to exercise and loosen up the muscle that you will build around your hands/palms otherwise you will feel some sore around those areas while playing drums due to stick tension and coz of developed muscles in those areas due to weights. i hope this helps.

:)

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:55:44 PM »
it didn't worked for me. i was too exausted practicing and playing drums that i had to dedicate a day or two on lifting weights but only to get this really bad effect when i sit on the drums or pads the next day.
my limbs got slower.

yet one or two work-outs that truly
benefit my drumming  was these back exercises and stomach exercises. it added more endurance especially on double bass stuff.

also aerobics (hope my term is right) seems way better for us drummers like swimming, jogging, and my favourite, cycling.

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 01:03:44 PM »
mukhang okay para masmadaling buhat ng gamit.... kailangan masanay para hindi mangawit.
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »
Why go to gym. Kung shape lang naman edi curl ups, jogging, yung mga gamit nilang exercises sa school fitness test. Okay na yun.

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »
Eat nutritious foods... :)
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 05:26:09 PM »
Quote from: xavier
Why go to gym. Kung shape lang naman edi curl ups, jogging, yung mga gamit nilang exercises sa school fitness test. Okay na yun.

Yeah tama ka dun bro!

@bangbus
sir what's your martial art?

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
Quote from: autoexec
Quote from: xavier

Yeah tama ka dun bro!

@bangbus
sir what's your martial art?

i did a lot while i was back home since i was a kid my parents put me through various disciplines instead of drum lessons which i prefered. but i've placed serious attention on knife handling, jiujitsu and a bicol-based discipline called mongoose more recently, when i get back home i might try balintawak eskrima...these are purely for fitness, dont get me wrong im not a warfreak, ive never started a single fight in my life...ok too much OT back to topic, i'd say if you're just goin to take weightlifting for fitness, then its fine. IN GENERAL and with drumming in mind, don't go for heavy sets, i suggest that you keep 3 sets of 20-18-16 reps increasing LIGHT weight exercises, separate your workout days into back+triceps; chest+biceps; shoulder+forearm; and another for legs and more cardio. this is for toning and ripping up and not for bulking up, this will not dimnish your drumming speed, in fact it will loosen up your muscles and make you feel lighter and in control of your limbs and do at least 10 mins of jogging and 10 mins of rowing for warming up...then cool down with some ab exercises. i dont want to sound like a fitness guru or fitnessfirst representative trying to make you sign up for a lifetime membership, this is based on my experience of weightlifting different programs for the past decade which i would like to share to you, results may vary of course since we have different body makeup and our food intake differs, but in general with the plan above and eating a balanced diet and living a healthy lifestyle will bring more positive results for you in your drumming.

Say NO to drugs! even to steroids! liliit lang ang ano! best of all while in the gym, be humble and dont be a jerk, be ready to spot someone, and return the weights to where you got em.

:)

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:04 AM »
Salamat po mga bossing...

Bale toning lang naman balak ko. A little buffing of my build won't hurt siguro. I like to work out kasi weak pa talaga left side ko...

para na rin mapansin ng mga chicks hehehe...
Drummer / Keyboardist

Offline toybitz

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »
IMO and experience, the best do-it-at-home exercises for drummers are:

1.  Push ups.  It really releases the tension in your arm and it will save you from cramps.

2.  Squats.  For endurance.

I do this if I don't have time to go to the gym.

My band, we used to play 4 hours per gig.  Don't ask me why, it's not required of us..but when you play rock and roll, and the blues, the feeling and emotion just won't let you stop playing 45mins to an hour per set.  And you bet it, because its rock and roll, most of "our" fearless band leader would never require dynamics, its all power.  I'd burn my leather Zildjian gloves in 2 months of playing.  Magastos din ako sa sticks that's why from Pro Marks,  I had to switch to Lazers beefy 5Bs.

So that's how important exercising is.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 06:51:53 PM »
nakabasa ako dati sa drummers magazine neto... sabi dun. talagang nakaka sira ng pulso ang pag bubuhat ng mabigat. pero merong exercise sa wrist na tinuro dun para hindi mawala ang pulso mo.. kaso nakalimutan ko na.
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »
Weight training din ba ang pagkain ng madami?  :lol:

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
Quote from: Gep
Weight training din ba ang pagkain ng madami?  :lol:

gusto ko nyan!

eh yung red harzzz!?

:D

Offline intake

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »
mag fitrum nga kayo! :lol:

sa speed ako nakafocus...sa power hindi na kasi pwede naman lakasan w/ the rimshot right?
ang ehersisiyo na ginagawa ko eh yung pag practice ng rudiments using the wrists...bale wala munang finger control, hindi ko naman masisisgurado na lagi kong magagawa yung finger control habang tumutugtog eh diba?

guys correct me if im wrong  :D

eto pa pala pahabol
sana makatulong to  :D

Endurance and Balance Exercises

30-minute endurance exercise.
Suggested tempo 150 bpm – 250 bpm
Playing 8th notes.
4 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
8 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
12 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest
16 notes per hand for two minutes with four count rest.
Alternating single strokes for two minutes. (10 minute total)

Follow same example for feet (10 minutes)

Play same example again with feet and hands together for another 10 minutes. This completes the entire 30-minute workout.

It is important that you start at a comfortable tempo. 30 minutes is a long time nonstop playing. If you don't pace yourself, you WILL NOT make it through the entire exercise. This is an endurance exercise and is NOT designed for speed although it will improve it by strengthening your weaker limbs. The goal would be to push the tempo as high as you can and still make it through the ENTIRE exercise.

Balance exercises.
Suggested tempo, again 150bpm-250bpm
Alternating 16th note single stokes between a hand and a foot.
Right hand / left foot two minutes
Left hand / right foot two minutes
Right hand / right foot two minutes
Left hand / left foot two minutes

Breathing exercises.
Breathing is extremely important while putting physical effort into ANYTHING much less extreme drumming. It is very often overlooked and is the number one cause for cramping. Most people will hold their breath when doing something stressful. Being conscious about breathing will make getting through exercises (and music) that normally will make you strain much easier. You can simply take these or ANY exercise or song you play and practice breathing in 4 beats and out 4 beats over and over. If you want a separate exercise…….here's a real simple, but effective one.

Single strokes
Hands 5 minutes
Feet 5 minutes
Hands and feet 5 minutes

Breathing in and out every 4 beats. Doing these daily will get you into a routine and will become second nature. It also helps with timing as well.

I like to write myself notes on my snare head to keep such small but very important details such as breathing and sitting up on my mind at all times while playing.

btw galing to sa site ni derek roddy...yup the blastbeat drummer  :D
Laptop = $600
DSL = $30/month
Locked threads @ AGT sub forums = PRICELESS :D

Offline jun_BALARAW

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 07:12:25 AM »
derek roddy!!! ganyan din exercise ko eh... hehehe.. nakaka elibs kasi ang bilis at linis ng paa niya eh... hayop!
PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE.... PEACE....

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 01:51:36 PM »
ayos yan ah! thanks sa advice.

yun nga lang wala ako sarili set ngayon hehehe...
Drummer / Keyboardist

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Fitness and Drumming
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 05:00:46 PM »
used to be a gym instructor...heheh ok naman siya sa akin. definitely adds up your endurance and power. kasi sa akin ang drums hindi naman siya all about power and speed, its more of a groove. tulad din ng pag-buhat, may rythm. these are only opinions that might not work to everyone.
pero syempre don't mix them together, pero kung light lang naman, ok naman. you use more of your wrists not your arms diba.
hope it helps man.
sarap din magbuhat. healthy na, dami ka pa magiging kaibigan.
godbless!

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
neil peart used to ride his bike in between tours.
now that's a guy who do needs some endurance.
but look at Mike Portnoy. He's basically out of shape
but still he can pull those technical and fast double bass stuff quite easily.

Ok not everyone plays like that but as long
your drumming limbs are in top form then
it doesn't matter whether you do work out or not.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
all about PASMA thread
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2006, 03:29:01 PM »
:lol: ..Medyo naiintriga ako dito e...Lots of Filipinos are afraid of washing their hands or taking a shower immediately after a strenous physical activities such as drumming,jogging,or biking.
Ironically,drummer Gregg Bissonett recommends the use of ''ice packs'' to cool down one's muscles after such activities(from DVD "Musical Drumming in Different Styles")

Sa mga pinoy di ba may tinatawag na "Pasma"?... 'niwala ba kayo sa pasma?
So Be It.

Offline MacoySIN

PASMA...is there such a thing?
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »
PASMA is not scientifically proven... yet. wala pa talagang findings that there is such thing, its not even in the medical books. pero wala namang masama sa nag iingat.  :D

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
tsk...
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 04:13:06 PM »
true... But everything that is drastic isn't good. a 15-min rest should be ok. ako nga bro, at my age, i begin to lose hair, sabi nga ng erpats ko dati, "ikaw kasi lagi ka nag-hihilamos pag-uwi mo!!!". funny hindi niya napapansin na kalbo din siya.lol
godbless.

Offline autoexec

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 07:52:34 PM »
Kaya daw ata walang tinatawag na pasma sa ibang bansa kasi hindi sila mahilig maligo.  :lol:

Offline drummer_boy17

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 08:05:03 PM »
ako medyo pasma na ko.. kasi minsan after I play, I always wash my hands. Kaya yun medyo pasmado na ako.
FLY FAST PHOTOGRAPHY: Click Here

Offline marko21

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »
pag pasma ba parang nalo-loose control ka? dati kasi napasma yata paa ko hindi ako makayapak ng diretso sa pedal, pag yumayapak ako hindi ko makontrol..

lumalabas rin ba yung ugat mo kapag napapasma ka?

Offline zound_tech

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2006, 09:50:28 PM »
diba merong pasma na basa lagi ang kamay at merin namang nanginginig,

ung nanginginig ata ung nakukuha kapag pagod ung kamay tapos babasain,

parang ko tutuo yata yun,
kc shempre pagod ung mga muscles mo tapos biglang lalamigin,

di ba mga basketball players bawal maligo pgka laro?
parang parehas lng yun para sakin,

pero di rin ako sigrado,
di ko pa kc napapanood ung video na sinasabi nyo,