hulika

Author Topic: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues  (Read 131493 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues
« Reply #525 on: September 17, 2008, 05:27:01 AM »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #526 on: September 21, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »
i remember the time....

when the rats played the music museum a few times(2-3)

on one night three bands played:

the Blue Rats, Mexicali Blues band and the headliners: Jun Lopito and the Bodhisattvas.

on the other nights we played in MM, Razorback played, Maegan Aguilar, Tita Sampaguita(Cowboy was still manning the guitar spot for her)..oh, Lampano Alley was there too...Soul Dredgers...Mr. Crayon...Huka

The 90s blues revival.

Though this thread is named for the Blue Rats, in the wake of the sonic onslaught this group has(and still) 'masterminded'...

this thread is also dedicated to:

what the band is still doing in the now: Fortunately BB, lefty,dyanibee and DD are still posting what the band is up to. other sources are multiply and the yahoo groups. this individual is glad that you're keeping "the lovelight shinin'"..i just wish that i could come home to jam.

Lately though, recent activity has shown that JP aka Mr.Fingers(not to be confused w/Lee Ritenour aka Capt.Fingers) has been in the limelight, in an article 'masterminded' by Deacon Blues..not only exposing the Rat's secret weapon but showing us that there's still hope in the pinoy music scene.

Kinda sad though is that, All the groups mentioned above are either on hiatus or gone. Occasionally Binky Lampano(i heard) comes home to reunite the Lampano Alley and mr crayon also reforms....

but i dare say this...the Blue Rats are still there, holding up the torch by which all standards of how the blues should be played. with integrity, good taste and a sense of humor--of which the band has tons of. :-D

the three guitars at a time approach: timeless. I'll never get tired of seeing(hearing) the different textures and contrasts that the three axemen of BR is most definitely almost virtuosic(is there such a word?) in nature.

JP, needs no introduction. Finesse, taste and fire in a tight package encompasses his style. He has the right tools, and he knows how to use em' all not just to his advantage but always for the music. He is capable of self indulgence but he doesn't succumb to it.

Cowboy, he IS the real deal. Loyal to the blues and the rock that follows it, he is not bogged down with details on how he should be true to the artform...but he does his own take on the blues and he makes it work! Grease lightnin in a bottle! when i was in the band, i'm always lookin over my shoulder to try steal licks from this guy then realizing everything i pick up from him becomes backwards when i play them...lefty kasi eh. :-D

Blue Buddha..the cat is out of the bag! matagal na noh?!?! Andy Locsin is THE Rhythm machine, he holds down the fort and makes the band move forward,upward, sideways and twists itself into a little ball and suddenly explode to the delight of blues loving audience.

it's 4 am...i'm leaving for ontario at 6, when i touch down and settle down at my hotel i'll continue this....
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:47:23 PM by blues2death »
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #527 on: September 21, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »
and deserving his own post,

back in the saddle again and never missing a beat is Mr. Butch Sixto Roxas!

My dear old friend and once mentor on the classical guitar is a superb musician and all around great guy!

Realizing that he "can't serve two masters" he had to give up the lead guitar spot on BR to concentrate on his true love in music.

during his hiatus, he (finally) got married and ended up having a string of endless success in the field of classical guitar. i assume that he had his final recital, and is continuing to teach the "new bloods" in classical guitar.

The hiatus lasted 7 yrs, but not without leading forays back to the places where he used to play with the rats. I remember bumping into him during one of binky's sets in el pueblo during fete, almost 5-6 yrs ago.

It was evident during those reencounters that he had with the scene, and largely because of this thread...that he still has the blues in him.

he came back with a vengeance....and then you got three different guitar styles intertwining and trading blues fire licks....an equally vicious blues harp taking center stage when he has too, also providing a unique blues texture that only a experienced harpist can provide...with a solid backdrop of rhythm guitar, bass and drums....topping it off with fierce and soulful vocals sung by the tandem dd and kim.

why do i know that? i see it in the videos, i can just imagine what it feels when i'm watching you guys --even from the back row..

well done guys!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #528 on: September 22, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »
b2d, some other updates. Kim jumped out last year because of getting promoted at work. 3beers took a break too. Just a few weeks ago Lefty decided to take a break to concentrate on projects and spread out for a little while.

So Kedy Sanchez of Working Stiffs has been sitting in for Lefty and bringing his own brand of versatility to the mix. He was smokin' last Saturday when Joey had to sit one out. A very lyrical, bluesy style. Saksak na saksak.  :-D

Lots of new tunes -- a bunch of jump blues styles. Masaya.

And the beat goes on.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #529 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »
yes indeed.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #530 on: December 02, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
Got this just as I was about to post:

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

Hehehe. That's how old we are.... it's not a new topic.... just a continuing story.   :lol:  Some updated for you old fogeys since September of last year:

• Kedy's settled into the 3rd geetar seat.
• Mang Vic settled in and found his shuffle.
• Whitey's discovered (after a lifetime of playing) that an Fm harp sometimes works on a Blues in C major.
• Joey P.'s discovered the Joy of Ex (changing out guitar electronic circuits).
• Dopedeeva lost it.   :wink:
• Got a set of hot new pipes in the person of Mel -- soulful and smokey -- gotta come hear her and Mai belt it out together. Makes good brownies too.
• Johnny's still wearing black.  :-D

Some different places we've been playing: Rte. 196, Capone's.... Am a bit worried though. Gig stories these days are relatively tame. No one's getting into fights or being arrested anymore.... much less colorful. Hmmm.... might indeed be getting crusty and old.

Bunch of new tunes. Drop in and check them out. Some people say we're not as loud as we used to be. No need for cotton in the ears anymore and you can actually hear the vocals now. And the tunes no longer wander about aimlessly. Might soon be time to be put out to pasture.

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #531 on: December 02, 2009, 05:50:16 PM »
 noooo waaaaayz??  :-P
those are some preety interesting updates! hope to catch up with you all at the nxt gig!
dopediva you gots some 'splainin' to do! hahaaa
Are You Experienced

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: December 03, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
may I add:

• and Blue Buddha has gone acoustic!

On the contrary, you guys are sounding better than ever. Doing without the jammers has given you time to concentrate on the songs.

... Hmmm.... might indeed be getting crusty and old ... Might soon be time to be put out to pasture.

...and excuse my ancient phonecam, here's a partial pic of your last gig at handlebar.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #533 on: December 04, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
Once again Veggie Joe, you are too kind.

But that's photographic proof right there......... Johnny's still wearing black.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
Yey!  Buhay nanaman ang thread!  :-D

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:24 PM »
Yey!  Buhay nanaman ang thread!  :-D

Hindi lang 'yan ang buhay.....

Dylan Finn Epperson made his entrance into the world three days ago and is the newest mouse in this family of Rats. Whitey's wife is doing well.

Exactly what a 50+year-old Rat is doing bringing new rodents into the world is a big question. I suppose it's like those old bluesers having to prove "the plumbing still works".... And the name.... being a harp player, I told him it should have been "Blind Lemon Epperson", or "Pink Dog Epperson", maybe "Greasy Lip Epperson", or "Toot Slim Epperson". Guess it's just Whitey living up to his name.  :wink:

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #536 on: June 11, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »

It's been a long time...

THE BLUE RATS @ Route 196
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Route 196 is along Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City (near Blue Ridge gate)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #537 on: December 31, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
More updates to end 2010:

- Dopedeeva is taking a temporary break because of some bad wine.  :-D
- Mel has stepped in as the Rats Front Woman and what a voice she is! Very quickly becoming the band's main draw....  8-)
- Vic's nailed down a true authentic shuffle and the tunes really move.  :wink:
- Joey, Kedy, and I are playing 15-25w amps and sounding much better.  8-)
- Whitey no longer hesitates being up front. Took 7 years.  :-P
- The Rats have a great new regular sax player on tenor and bari -- Roxy Modesto -- whose bari hangs down to her cowboy boots.  :evil:
- Johnny wore white sneakers to a gig.  :-o  We almost fainted.

Starting 2011 strong:
Jan. 12 - Handlebar on Polaris St.
Jan. 20 & 27 - Oxford Suites Hotel on P. Burgos

Happy New Year to all. Should be a great year.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #538 on: January 03, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
Wow.... I just had a look at the numbers and scrolled through the first 10 pages of the Jazz and Blues Cafe forum. This thread has the most replies (538) and the most views (38,720) on this forum. Outrageous -- gan'un na katanda na tayo my fellow Rats. O siguro tayo na ang pinakamadaldal -- di talaga maka-shaddap!!  :-D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:06:12 PM by blue buddha »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #539 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:20 AM »
Wow.... I just had a look at the numbers and scrolled through the first 10 pages of the Jazz and Blues Cafe forum. This thread has the most replies (538) and the most views (38,720) on this forum. Outrageous -- gan'un na katanda na tayo my fellow Rats. O siguro tayo na ang pinakamadaldal -- di talaga maka-shaddap!!  :-D

That might be true but I think longevity, hard work, integrity, diversity, professionalism and class has a lot to do why there's much to talk about (and see and hear) when it comes to the Blue Rats!

Di pa ba tayo mag Bluesfest? :-)

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #540 on: April 23, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
the band is indeed outrageous! it was a long time ago when i saw Apa using his Vintage Bass (im not really sure if it was a Greco or Gibson SG), and made me want one! hehehe.

i was a Bassist then when my then band, "Hija" played with the Blue Rats & Mexicali Blues band on a tuesday or thusday, i dont remember, basta mid week hehehe. my bandmates then were Dondi Sanz, Richie Quirino, Johnny Alegre and Noel Nieva which we usually stop over in Mexicali in ATC before going to San Mig after practice way back 1996. funny how time flies!

i hope to see/play with you guys again someday.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:41:27 PM by the_Nong »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #541 on: May 25, 2011, 01:45:47 AM »
That might be true but I think longevity, hard work, integrity, diversity, professionalism and class has a lot to do why there's much to talk about (and see and hear) when it comes to the Blue Rats!

Di pa ba tayo mag Bluesfest? :-)

Kinakati na daw ang mga tropa Delta -- making squeaking noises about revisiting Hobbit House for an "event".  Time for a Bluesfest? End June or in July? Are the Bruddahs in?  :wink:  Malamang dapat na nga -- getting older and creakier. Some signs:

- Mel is engaged.  :-o
- Dopedeeva is expressly forbidden to engage in anything that  risks scandal/controversy.... and she now has a driver.  :-P
- Vic now replies to texts.  :-D
- Joey now exclusively plays a 48-year old guitar, sports facial hair, and wears shades onstage.   8-)
- Kedy really freaks when band members flake out on gigs as they have often done for 16 years.  :?
- Whitey blew out his knee bending it (which is what knees are meant for).  :oops:
- Roxy now has an official nickname: "Shorty".  :lol:
- Bennii Obaña is now a card-carrying Rat, evidenced by his having coined a band member's nickname: "Shorty".  :mrgreen:
- We played at a US Embassy reception today.  :-)
- Johnny wore black at that gig.  :evil:
- There are now 10 people in the band.  :|

Time to do a Bluesfest before Mel gets married, Dopedeeva likes the wine, Vic starts texting "thoughts for the day", band members become reliable on Kedy, Whitey has knee surgery, Roxy gets tall, Bennii is given a nickname, a Rat is denied a US visa, Johnny wears pink, and the Rats are able to field a complete soccer team.

If we arrive at this point, it's time to play bingo nalang.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #542 on: December 17, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
Time for an update.

We have descended into the depths of decency. Just wrapped up 6 months of all-Thursdays at Martini's, Mandarin Oriental Hotel(!). Scary stuff. No more bar fights, really strange creatures, and jammers who can't play. Very interesting.

In between, we've played Blues Nights at the Philippine Jazz Festival and with Shun Kikuta at the First CCP International Jazz Festival. The latter performance was apparently the only sold out show of the entire one-week event. Great Stuff.

Starting up Thursdays at Martini's again on 5 January 2012. Drop in. You can actually hear yourself talk.  :cool:

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #543 on: December 17, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
Any upcoming shows before the year (2011) ends? I've been wanting to see some quality bands in the blues even blues rock genre in Manila but haven't seen one so far.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #544 on: December 17, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
Try Wally Gonzales & Friends also at Martini's on Wednesdays for some bluesy classic rock, and look for where The Bleu Rascals are playing around town for some more authentic blues -- young kids, but they've got pretty good mojo.

Offline SixtyCycleOhm

« Reply #545 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
^ Thanks. Will try to catch them.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »
"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

This was the warning, so I will post an update just to upset the warning.

15 straight months na at Martini's. Who would've thought? Certainly not us. Ovewhelming decency. Since the last update, here's what has happened:

- Mel is married....  <_<  ....and singing better than ever.
- Clare Lapuz of ex-Mother Björn and @2003 Rats fame has come onboard and rejoined us. Nice flexibility.   :wave:
- Dopedeeva is now allowed to fill in on occasion. Kung minsan, naka disguise pa rin.   :mrgreen:
- We now have two alternating drummers -- Mang Vic and Gilbert (who brings chops, youth and pogi points to the drumchair).  :-D
- Joey and me now experimenting with how surprisingly great some cheapo guitars can sound and play.  :drool:
- Kedy recovering from a health scare and is back in the saddle.  :)
- Whitey playing better the older he gets.  :cool:
- Roxy refuses to grow despite major infusions of natural, organic, and vaporized fertilizer.  :oops:
- Am traveling way too much.    :|
- Johnny is moving up the deadly weapons chain -- loud bass, airsoft, aikido, now a bullwhip.  :-o
- There are now 11 people in the band -- enough to field a soccer team. I wonder what that means.    :eek:

Lots going on in the Philippine blues scene these days. Nice to see.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #547 on: February 09, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »
buhayin uli! wahahaha

Life and Facebook took over...all the updates that I ever needed and wanted, I could check out on FB and Blue Rat's FB page.

Out of the blue naging curious lang ako about the super long philmusic thread that started 6-7 yrs ago. Grabe siguro ang kalasingan ko when I started this thread, huwaw naman sa mga kwento at super bad grammar ko ...hehe

Last post was from bb, september '12...stunning...but I not too surprising.

Nothing's changed, still proud of that goddamn band, and I still miss you guys.... will be coming home late this year.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
Hello rat friends.

Just felt like posting our current band schedule in case you would like to enjoy an evening of the blues.

Martinis, Mandarin Oriental, Makati - still every Thursday at 9:30pm

And a show at HANDLEBAR, Polaris, Bel Air on June 28, also at 9:30 pm.

Hope to see you.