hulika

Author Topic: ISTANBUL cymbals thread  (Read 168779 times)

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ISTANBUL cymbals thread
« Reply #800 on: May 02, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »
Thanks! Pero how is the consistency of the hand hammered stuff? Isa lang usually ang models so hindi makakapili among the same models. Pero i also compared the origin vs turk in a different lazer branch naman, parang pareho lang sa pandinig ko yun differences & characteristics ng dalawa. My question is should i be choosing between the origin dark in different branches?  I mean meron bang mas maganda or negligible yun? Too much google is bad for you!

The thing about testing the cymbals in different branches is that there's the chance na makuha na yung isang cymbal bago mo mabalikan. So like Ralph said, just really trust your ears for this one. At the same time, since these are real hand hammered cymbals, the tone can really vary like you said, may origin na katunog ng Turk. So be careful, and don't be pressured buy a specific cymbal just because it sounds the best of the bunch. Happened once when I picked my splash, I had a cymbal model and size in mind and I hated everything in stock, but I loved one of a different size and different size.

Oh and don't forget to play AROUND the whole cymbal. May sweet spots yan lalo na pag ride.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #801 on: May 02, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »
Thanks! Pero how is the consistency of the hand hammered stuff? Isa lang usually ang models so hindi makakapili among the same models. Pero i also compared the origin vs turk in a different lazer branch naman, parang pareho lang sa pandinig ko yun differences & characteristics ng dalawa. My question is should i be choosing between the origin dark in different branches?  I mean meron bang mas maganda or negligible yun? Too much google is bad for you!

forget consistency. walang ganun sa hand hammered hehehe isa lang rule sa ganyan: try before you buy

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #802 on: May 02, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »

Oh and don't forget to play AROUND the whole cymbal. May sweet spots yan lalo na pag ride.

this.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #803 on: May 02, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
The thing about testing the cymbals in different branches is that there's the chance na makuha na yung isang cymbal bago mo mabalikan. So like Ralph said, just really trust your ears for this one. At the same time, since these are real hand hammered cymbals, the tone can really vary like you said, may origin na katunog ng Turk. So be careful, and don't be pressured buy a specific cymbal just because it sounds the best of the bunch. Happened once when I picked my splash, I had a cymbal model and size in mind and I hated everything in stock, but I loved one of a different size and different size.

Guess i better stick to the machine made stuff til i get more discerning ears. Maybe the closest thing to a hand hammered made in istanbul cymbal i can get is probly a b20 twenty allegedly hand hammered in turkey by some guy named murat diril. Again too much google for me. Hahaha!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:54:21 PM by x_taxi »
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #804 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:41 PM »
forget consistency. walang ganun sa hand hammered hehehe isa lang rule sa ganyan: try before you buy

Hahaha! Mukhang magastos na experiment yan sir... lalo na pag noob na katulad ko.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #805 on: May 02, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #806 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
While we're on hand hammering, I just came across an article by Mike Awerin for Spin Magazine, May 1989 issue - an interview of Mehmet Tamdeger and Agop Tomurcuk way back when they were still together:
"...Inside the shop, a worker with a long pole served round pieces of metal into a wood-fired furnace, like pizzas. When they had been red-hot for a time, he pulled them out. Asked about timing, Mehmet pointed to his eyes and replied: "Experience. We have no thermostat." In an adjoining room, the metal was hand hammered. The number of taps and the amount of pressure and spacing of the indentations determine the sound. Asked about quality control, Agop pointed to his ears and said: "We do not need graphic equalizers."

I wondered why they didn't franchise or license or build another oven. They explained that they were living well enough, export business was growing slowly but steadily, they did not want stockholders or foreign partners looking over their shoulders (Paiste made an offer, which they refused), and anyway they were selling quality, not quantity."

I hope they're still doing the same things, though separately...
As for Mehmet, you may find this interesting, an article just from last year - http://www.ethnotraveler.com/2015/01/the-loveliest-commotion/
Based on what I've read, Sir, you may not be needing "more discerning" ears since they may have discerned the cymbal sound for you already hehe ... it may be safe to say that any Istanbul cymbal you choose will still sound better than a mass produced one...

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #807 on: May 02, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
That's great to know sir. Ika nga, buy with confidence! Dami ko natututunan sa pagtanong. Salamat sir!

While we're on hand hammering, I just came across an article by Mike Awerin for Spin Magazine, May 1989 issue - an interview of Mehmet Tamdeger and Agop Tomurcuk way back when they were still together:
"...Inside the shop, a worker with a long pole served round pieces of metal into a wood-fired furnace, like pizzas. When they had been red-hot for a time, he pulled them out. Asked about timing, Mehmet pointed to his eyes and replied: "Experience. We have no thermostat." In an adjoining room, the metal was hand hammered. The number of taps and the amount of pressure and spacing of the indentations determine the sound. Asked about quality control, Agop pointed to his ears and said: "We do not need graphic equalizers."

I wondered why they didn't franchise or license or build another oven. They explained that they were living well enough, export business was growing slowly but steadily, they did not want stockholders or foreign partners looking over their shoulders (Paiste made an offer, which they refused), and anyway they were selling quality, not quantity."

I hope they're still doing the same things, though separately...
As for Mehmet, you may find this interesting, an article just from last year - http://www.ethnotraveler.com/2015/01/the-loveliest-commotion/
Based on what I've read, Sir, you may not be needing "more discerning" ears since they may have discerned the cymbal sound for you already hehe ... it may be safe to say that any Istanbul cymbal you choose will still sound better than a mass produced one...

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #808 on: May 02, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
Guess i better stick to the machine made stuff til i get more discerning ears. Maybe the closest thing to a hand hammered made in istanbul cymbal i can get is probly a b20 twenty allegedly hand hammered in turkey by some guy named murat diril. Again too much google for me. Hahaha!

If you can tell the difference between two cymbals of the same kind (sabi mo diba yung isang origin-Turk pair magkaiba sa isang shop tapos magka tunog sa kabila), then you already have discerning ears. Just trust your ears now and buy the cymbal that gives you the sound you want whether it's the one you expect or not. You will always find a better sound in your tone journey. And as for the sweet spot, it's doesn't mean that it's the only good spot on the cymbal, it means it's the best sounding area, and old jazz players would keyhole their cymbals so they can hit that sweet spot all the time.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #809 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:52 AM »
If you can tell the difference between two cymbals of the same kind (sabi mo diba yung isang origin-Turk pair magkaiba sa isang shop tapos magka tunog sa kabila), then you already have discerning ears. Just trust your ears now and buy the cymbal that gives you the sound you want whether it's the one you expect or not. You will always find a better sound in your tone journey. And as for the sweet spot, it's doesn't mean that it's the only good spot on the cymbal, it means it's the best sounding area, and old jazz players would keyhole their cymbals so they can hit that sweet spot all the time.

Thanks sir! I use drum samples all the time in my old work as a "film" scorer. Maybe that's why i have a preference siguro. I find that the dark cymbals probably are more complex cause they don't have that overpowering shimmer that b8 cymbals have. My only concern w ith the origin dark is that it might be too mellow that it will sink too deep in the mix.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #810 on: May 05, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
My only concern w ith the origin dark is that it might be too mellow that it will sink too deep in the mix.

That's why you mix sizes :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #811 on: May 05, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Thanks sir! I use drum samples all the time in my old work as a "film" scorer. Maybe that's why i have a preference siguro. I find that the dark cymbals probably are more complex cause they don't have that overpowering shimmer that b8 cymbals have. My only concern w ith the origin dark is that it might be too mellow that it will sink too deep in the mix.
I find that cymbal samples, unless specifically tuned for jazz/blues/world, are taken from or tuned to mimic a European cymbal rather than a Turkish one. Stuff like Meinl and Paiste come to mind with their really open B8/10/12 cymbals. That's as far as sampling and recording are concerned. Darker cymbals have a much better balance but far from sample-like.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #812 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:11 AM »
The istanbul guys finally replied:

Hello,
Actually and basically they are same.They are equivalent. The differences are weight, profile and bell type. So trust your ears to choose the best one for you .Thanks
Bulent Akbay
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, lstanbul Mehmet Cymbals

Seems the common answer is to always use your ears.

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #813 on: May 11, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
The istanbul guys finally replied:

Hello,
Actually and basically they are same.They are equivalent. The differences are weight, profile and bell type. So trust your ears to choose the best one for you .Thanks
Bulent Akbay
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, lstanbul Mehmet Cymbals

Seems the common answer is to always use your ears.

Nice to know that they replied...good luck!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #814 on: May 11, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
 :-)
Nice to know that they replied...good luck!

Thanks sir! Sale sa lazer festi sa weekend! Nakakatukso yun lil markbass heads pero i should wear blinders when i go. Hahaha!

Offline Mr. Xerath

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #815 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:56 PM »
Mga sir plano ko sana bumili nito sa Lazer. Currently I've been using ZBT 13" hats and my Pearl 16" crash/ride but surprisingly after 1 year of playing I still like how my pearl crash sounds even though its just a stock cymbal. :-o

Ganun po ba talaga pag di pa nakaka-experience ng pro cymbals? Sa ngayon parang kuntento pa naman ako sa kanila pero parang gusto ko narin bumili ng mehmets lalo na 15% off siya until Jan 15 :drool:

Gusto ko po sana sa 14" hats yung crisp sounding at responsive.
Sa 16" crash responsive, smooth at magaan.
Sa 20" ride naman yung may good stick definition, clear bell sound pero hindi sobrang lakas ng volume.
I've been leaning on the Istanbul mehmet traditional set but I'm curious of the sultan series also.

Would getting a set be better than buying it individually?
Pano ko malalaman kung yun na talaga yung gustong gusto ko since first time ako bibili ng cymbals..

Any tips and guidelines narin po pagkapasok sa lazer para bumili at magtest ng cymbals? :-D
Thanks!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #816 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Mga sir plano ko sana bumili nito sa Lazer. Currently I've been using ZBT 13" hats and my Pearl 16" crash/ride but surprisingly after 1 year of playing I still like how my pearl crash sounds even though its just a stock cymbal. :-o

Ganun po ba talaga pag di pa nakaka-experience ng pro cymbals? Sa ngayon parang kuntento pa naman ako sa kanila pero parang gusto ko narin bumili ng mehmets lalo na 15% off siya until Jan 15 :drool:

Gusto ko po sana sa 14" hats yung crisp sounding at responsive.
Sa 16" crash responsive, smooth at magaan.
Sa 20" ride naman yung may good stick definition, clear bell sound pero hindi sobrang lakas ng volume.
I've been leaning on the Istanbul mehmet traditional set but I'm curious of the sultan series also.

Would getting a set be better than buying it individually?
Pano ko malalaman kung yun na talaga yung gustong gusto ko since first time ako bibili ng cymbals..

Any tips and guidelines narin po pagkapasok sa lazer para bumili at magtest ng cymbals? :-D
Thanks!

maaaring ganun na nga, since hindi ka pa exposed sa better cymbals, inlab ka parin sa current cymbals mo. honeymoon phase pa rin kumbaga. pero pwede ring maganda talaga tunog nung pearl cymbal.

basing from your descriptions, parang Istanbul Sultan yang hinahanap mo. my advice will be to walk in LAZER and test all the cymbals so that you can mix and match cymbals that fit your exact needs. mas mura nga lang ata pag set ka bumili. if you decide to get a sultan set, try asking the personnel if you can test all sultan 14 16 and 20's in the store, and pick the stock that sounds best to your ears.

Offline Mr. Xerath

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #817 on: January 14, 2017, 12:37:49 AM »
Salamat po sir sa advice!  :)
Ask ko lang ano po ba pinagkaiba ng tunog ng Mehmet Traditionals sa Sultans at Zbts?
at Ano po ba yung mga good and bad characteristics na maaring marinig sa hats, crash, ride?
Pano rin po malalaman kaagad kung may defect at o nasa magandang condition yung cymbal?
Para po mas madali kong malaman kung tugma yung pagkagawa ng cymbal sa price niya.  :-D
Thanks po uli  :wave:

Offline Mr. Xerath

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #818 on: January 14, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »
Mga sir nagtanong ako dati sa ibang branch mga 2 months ago lang, 22,250 daw yung traditional series set.
Bale 19k siya sale ngayon 15% off on all istanbul cymbals.
Kakapunta ko lang sa Lazer at nagtanong  ako mga magkano yung set. 28k+ na daw  :oops:
Tinanong ko ulit kung sale ba na 15% off lahat ng istanbul cymbals nila tulad ng nakalagay sa fb page
pero sabi niya tapos na daw sale?  :?

Nakakadismaya naman anlaki ng tinaas ng presyo pero sana hindi totoo..  :cry:

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #819 on: January 15, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

sir I think lazer is pricing their cymbals strategically compared to the big 3 brands. Quality wise istanbul is equal or even better since they're hand hammered. With a lower price I would go for them.

Mga sir nagtanong ako dati sa ibang branch mga 2 months ago lang, 22,250 daw yung traditional series set.
Bale 19k siya sale ngayon 15% off on all istanbul cymbals.
Kakapunta ko lang sa Lazer at nagtanong  ako mga magkano yung set. 28k+ na daw  :oops:
Tinanong ko ulit kung sale ba na 15% off lahat ng istanbul cymbals nila tulad ng nakalagay sa fb page
pero sabi niya tapos na daw sale?  :?

Nakakadismaya naman anlaki ng tinaas ng presyo pero sana hindi totoo..  :cry:
[/quote

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:24:49 AM by gss »

Offline Mr. Xerath

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #820 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »
Ano na po ba pricing ng Istanbul mehmets ngayon sa Lazer?
Nalito po kasi ako dun sa salesman sabi niya 28k+ na daw yung traditional set eh nung tumawag ako before mga 1-2 months ago lang 22,250 lang siya.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #821 on: January 16, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »
Nalito po kasi ako dun sa salesman sabi niya 28k+ na daw yung traditional set eh nung tumawag ako before mga 1-2 months ago lang 22,250 lang siya.

iba talaga pag Christmas/holiday sales papi. :(

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #822 on: January 16, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

A quick look in the internet shows the price range of a traditional cymbal set (14-16-20in.) at 28-31k peso equivalent...
personally wala akong alam na same quality cymbals at equal or lower price dito sa atin (syempre brand new)
As I said, my guess is Lazer is pricing it to be lower than the others but with enough profit.

Gone are the days when a sultan or samatya set costs just P16-18k...

Offline Mr. Xerath

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #823 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
Noooooo!  :cry:
Ibig sabihin outdated pala sinabi sakin nung tumawag ako sa branches ng lazer na supposedly 22,250 daw ang traditional set eh since may sale sila 15% off (dec. ako tumawag afaik) 18,912 nalang daw siya sabi niya. :oops:
Goodbye for now.. maybe next year makuha na kita..  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #824 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:10 AM »
A quick look in the internet shows the price range of a traditional cymbal set (14-16-20in.) at 28-31k peso equivalent...
personally wala akong alam na same quality cymbals at equal or lower price dito sa atin (syempre brand new)
As I said, my guess is Lazer is pricing it to be lower than the others but with enough profit.

Gone are the days when a sultan or samatya set costs just P16-18k...

swerte ko talaga nakascore pa ako ng hats and 18 crash for 7.5k whew. sobrang steal talga dati nung bagong labas.