hulika

Author Topic: DIY Acoustics and Soundproofing Thread  (Read 247117 times)

Offline botbenz

Re: DIY Acoustics and Soundproofing Thread
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2008, 11:59:59 AM »
^^ Thanks very much botbenz!!  anyway is this available locally? where can I purchase one?
You can buy gypsum board from most hardware supply stores. I've seen plenty of stock and variety in Wilcon and also Home Depot. I also recommend that you use acoustic caulk to fill gaps (corners, holes, et al). Perhaps other forum members can recommend a locally available acoustic caulk (I buy mine abroad at about $10 per tube.)

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »
Thanks so much, great help bro! GOD bless!

LouieAzcona

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »
Thanks so much, great help bro! GOD bless!

meron po (sobrang dami) gypsum sa Sm Fairview, sa Ace Hardware po, pasok ka pa sa pinakaloob, (Malaki Ace Hardware dun eh) meron doon, Ace Builders... nung isang gabi, kabibili ko lang dun ng acoustic board...

By The Way, hindi ko pa kinakabit ung acoustic board kasi hindi ako sure kung anong klaseng adhesive ang gagamitin ko.

ano nga ba? :-D

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
meron po (sobrang dami) gypsum sa Sm Fairview, sa Ace Hardware po, pasok ka pa sa pinakaloob, (Malaki Ace Hardware dun eh) meron doon, Ace Builders... nung isang gabi, kabibili ko lang dun ng acoustic board...

By The Way, hindi ko pa kinakabit ung acoustic board kasi hindi ako sure kung anong klaseng adhesive ang gagamitin ko.

ano nga ba? :-D

Hehe layo naman nun ser, dito pa ako san pedro laguna eh  :-D pero salamat sa tip, pag wala talaga ako mahanap, walang malayo at mainit sa musikerong mapilit  :lol:

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »
One question dear sirs. Would one layer of gypsum board, mounted over a CHB wall, and gyprex boards (also a gypsum board variant) for the ceilings, be enough to stop sound from seeping out of a room?

I am not at all concerned about acoustically treating the room, i am just concerned about the rocks hitting the roof of our house everytime we practice. :-D
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline bandztudio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:31 AM »
One layer of Gypsum (12 mm) over CHB wall will certainly help. Better if this will be separately framed rather than attached directly so that a gap can be placed in between. Dont forget to dampen the in-between frames with rockwool or fiberglass otherwise, the boards migh be resonant for some mid-bass frequencies. Project mo na lang mag-patong 1 more layer later on pag may budget na. That would complete your soundproofing later, at least patong na lang yun over the same frame...dont forget to caulk joints....

Francis

LouieAzcona

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2008, 11:38:07 PM »
magkano po ang fiber glass? gusto ko pa kasi paligiran yung drumset namin with fiber glass eh.  :-D I think makakatulong sa balance ng sound ng band kung mas mahina ang drumset... plus...ayaw ko talaga na tinotodo ng mga bands yung amps eh...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:39:48 PM by LouieAzcona »

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2008, 12:45:29 AM »
One layer of Gypsum (12 mm) over CHB wall will certainly help. Better if this will be separately framed rather than attached directly so that a gap can be placed in between. Dont forget to dampen the in-between frames with rockwool or fiberglass otherwise, the boards migh be resonant for some mid-bass frequencies. Project mo na lang mag-patong 1 more layer later on pag may budget na. That would complete your soundproofing later, at least patong na lang yun over the same frame...dont forget to caulk joints....

Francis

Thanks bro!

Questions again friends:
I am planning to use 2 inch thick wooden frames instead of metal studs (as suggested in this forum). Would it be okay if i mount the gypsum boards on the said wooden frames?

Also, i am still considering if i do need the dampening material (fiber glass) since my only concern is to eliminate, or limit the sound coming out of my room. Would the said setup (CHB wall + 2 inch gap (wooden mounting frames)+ 1/2'' gypsum board) be enough to do the job? Again, i would like to reiterate that i am not really concerned if the walls would resonate, just as long as the sound coming out of my room would be eliminated or limited. We practice in a full band setup in my room.

Another thing. How much would it help if i replace my glass sliding windows with fiber glass?

Thanks!
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline botbenz

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2008, 01:07:46 AM »
Would it be okay if i mount the gypsum boards on the said wooden frames?
Sure! But better if the wooden frame is isolated from the CHB wall; that is, freestanding with air gap in between, instead of nailed to the CHB wall.

Also, i am still considering if i do need the dampening material (fiber glass) since my only concern is to eliminate, or limit the sound coming out of my room. Would the said setup (CHB wall + 2 inch gap (wooden mounting frames)+ 1/2'' gypsum board) be enough to do the job?
Fiber glass makes for good THERMAL insulation, but not particularly good for sound proofing. You are better off with rock wool, if you can afford it (approx p1,000 for 50 square feet of 2"-thick 60kg/m3 rock wool).

Another thing. How much would it help if i replace my glass sliding windows with fiber glass?
Fiber glass is "glass" that comes as strands of fiber. Think of it as glass textile; it does not usually come in rigid panes that can be used as a door or window. For your needs, tempered glass or laminated glass would be better, but also more expensive.

Just think of the extra expense as life insurance. Without proper soundproofing, your neighbors could put your life at risk. ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:13:46 AM by botbenz »

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »

Fiber glass makes for good THERMAL insulation, but not particularly good for sound proofing. You are better off with rock wool, if you can afford it (approx p1,000 for a 25 foot roll of 2"x2' 60kg/m3 rock wool).
Fiber glass is "glass" that comes as strands of fiber. Think of it as glass textile; it does not usually come in rigid panes that can be used as a door or window. For your needs, tempered glass or laminated glass would be better, but also more expensive.

Thanks for the quick reply bro. Ill do some canvassing work on the tempered glass and rock wool.

Sure! But better if the wooden frame is isolated from the CHB wall; that is, freestanding with air gap in between, instead of nailed to the CHB wall.

What difference would a freestanding wall make, as opposed to one being nailed on to the CHB wall?

Just think of the extra expense as life insurance. Without proper soundproofing, your neighbors could put your life at risk. ;)

Haha great point! violent neighbors!
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline bandztudio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
Rockwool is good material but more expensive and comes in smaller odd sized blankets. fiberglass must be properly hung on G.I. Grids, at least 2" thick (3" is ideal) and 2 lbs per sq.-foot to work.
On dampening, Yes, unfortunately, you need to dampen the in between frames. As for wood, make sure its not the gemilina or the malaysian variety na mabigat, you will have a hard time driving the black gypsum screws, pwedeng maputol.

Francis

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
Mga sir hanggang saan kaya mararating nang 20k ko if magsoundproof ako nang room?

Offline botbenz

« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
What difference would a freestanding wall make, as opposed to one being nailed on to the CHB wall?
The goal is acoustic isolation; the less points of contact between the two surfaces, the better. Nailing the wooden frame to the CHB wall increases the points of contact. A secure, freestanding wall shares only one point of contact with the CHB wall--the floor.

Of course, there are trade-offs. A freestanding wooden frame will yield higher TL (transmission loss), but at the expense of a smaller floor space.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:58:17 PM by botbenz »

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »
Mga sir hanggang saan kaya mararating nang 20k ko if magsoundproof ako nang room?

calculate: the cheapest GWB is P275. how abt your frames? 2x4x16? how wide is your room... i spent 35T with my 9x8x16..the booth is 9x6..
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline botbenz

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »
calculate: the cheapest GWB is P275. how abt your frames? 2x4x16? how wide is your room... i spent 35T with my 9x8x16..the booth is 9x6..
GWB panels typically come in 8'x4' sheets. a 2"x4"x16' wood plank costs p928. you'll need about 1.75 times that wood plank to frame each GWB panel.

an 8 foot high 10'x12' room has a wall surface area of 352 sq ft, which will cost about p3,025 in GWB and roughly p20T in framing--which excludes the ceiling, caulk, paint, and labor.

hope that gives you a rough idea of costs.

Offline gesam10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
mag tol egg trey kasi un  ginamit ko sa pagssound proof ng studio ko..mlaki din un binawas na ingay.. ask ko lng  kung nu ba mgandang ilagay pang sound proof na tlagang walang ingay na lumabas.. un mura lang.. tnx

Offline botbenz

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
there are plenty of articles on the internet dispelling egg trays as an effective soundproofing material. hindi ko na gagatungan pa.  :wink:

at the risk of hastily generalizating, allow me to reduce soundproofing to three basic principles:
1) mass - the more mass the better; generally, anyway, because there are exceptions;
2) air tightness - where air goes, sound goes;
3) physical isolation - which explains why many designs call for floating rooms, room-within-rooms, etc.

if you want to go cheap, look for the most effective alternatives in these areas. good luck!

LouieAzcona

« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »
mag tol egg trey kasi un  ginamit ko sa pagssound proof ng studio ko..mlaki din un binawas na ingay.. ask ko lng  kung nu ba mgandang ilagay pang sound proof na tlagang walang ingay na lumabas.. un mura lang.. tnx

yan ang masakit bro... kung gusto mo magSOUNDPROOF, kelangan mo talaga gumastos.

Offline acoustic_newbie

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »
mga bro, alam nyo ba kung saan nakakabili locally ng high density hardboard, similar sa masonite? Gagamitin ko sana for my diy diffuser for the dividers. Ok sana MDF kaso ang kapal. Yung mga 1/8" or 1/4" lang sana in thickness. Plywood naman has is low density so hindi pwede. Pangit naman ang hardiflex kasi nagpopowderized. The requirement is that is has to be high density, thin and easy to work with. TIA.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:13:05 PM by acoustic_newbie »

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:50 AM »
ser leachim  san nyo ginamit tong ? CSR ROCKWOOL parang nilatag mo lang ba sa floor? ano ba yng ginagamitan nyan?? isa pa gumagana ba yng egg cartons sa mga dingding?? or ano pa ba na puede ilagay sa studio na madalas makita lang na nakatambak sa bahay?? ex. carpet

Offline botbenz

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
the egg tray question has been asked--and answered--so many times, the chicken refuses to lay any more eggs.  :-D

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2008, 10:30:57 AM »
so whats the answer? kaya nga nag tatanong eh,  :? sana sinagot mo na lng yng tanong ko   :lol:

Offline botbenz

« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »
pasensya na dolfmen. wala akong naisagot sa egg tray mo. tinali ni misis kanina etlog ko eh. ;)

anyway, egg trays make for lousy soundproofing materials.

bottomline sa soundproofing: mass (yung mabigat at malaman). of course, that has challenges too. mahirap magsabit ng mabigat. lawit etlog mo. ;)

back read mo yung thread na ito. maraming maayos na suggestions, lalo na yung kay mikep.

mass, isolation, and air tightness, in general. good luck.

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2008, 12:13:14 AM »
so whats the answer? kaya nga nag tatanong eh,  :? sana sinagot mo na lng yng tanong ko   :lol:

eggtray, fruittray( apples/oranges = looks better ) wont help on soundproofing... diffuser baka pwede pa... but stack at least 10 trays then paste it behind you. you might need at least more than 200 trays...times PHP4.00 each...
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline dolfmen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2008, 01:00:22 AM »
crazy talk yng 10 trays tapos lagay sa wall, :-o liit din kasi ng space nasa attic kame. sakto lang yng sound di na din pala masyado nagagalit yng mga kapitbahay namin