hulika

Author Topic: Modded Boss Pedals  (Read 3062 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Modded Boss Pedals
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:10:35 AM »
Shiny new boss pedals, with a keeley or monte alums sticker indicating the modifications done.  Used to be all the rage around here in philmusic.  Then a lot of guys started doing their own mods, and as far as testimonials go, sounded much better than the popular 'brand' mods.

Who misses their pedalboards with these?  Even if I could do a few mods myself these days, I wonder sometimes if I want a boss board again with all Monte Allums mods, for novelty's sake.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Modded Boss Pedals
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
Shiny new boss pedals, with a keeley or monte alums sticker indicating the modifications done.  Used to be all the rage around here in philmusic.  Then a lot of guys started doing their own mods, and as far as testimonials go, sounded much better than the popular 'brand' mods.

Who misses their pedalboards with these?  Even if I could do a few mods myself these days, I wonder sometimes if I want a boss board again with all Monte Allums mods, for novelty's sake.

may mga mods na talagang Gold (e.g. markV's BritMod, Keeley's BD2) pero may iba din na parang WTH did you do HAHAHAHA

pero yeah, I do miss playing with the modded boss pedals. madaming nagtataka bakit iba yung tunog and it has that unique flavor to it. hahaha :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
yeah i remember those days,

when i was a high school student, i'd drool over analog man and keeley. but they were really too costly

i thought they were the bomb! then out of necessity people started reverse engineering their pedals and started doing their own mods. the first modded pedals i had was from Lito Bote and he also modded some of mine. i was so happy,

i think all these started when the popular 'vintage' pedals became hard to find. so the next best thing was to find old chips, diodes etc, and put them into a modern pedal, and viola! just like the originals.  i thought that was it. hindi pala. iba pa din tunog ng tunay na vintage pedal. a lot of the pedals nowadays are just clones of the old famous pedals. they do not sound the same because the components are modern kahit same pa designation. 

after i bought my first vintage pedal, gulat ako mas prefer ko yung tunog kesa sa mga modern pedals and modded pedals. kahit hindi sila true by pass. since then i've been buying old pedals. ayaw ko na ng mod.

nakakamiss din those days, if it wasnt for those days, i wouldn't be where i am right now.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:06:38 PM by analog.matt »

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#bossmt2Plus

I used to have the MT-2 Tri-gain Sustainia Mod, and remember wanting the cs-3 opto mod and especially his take on the OD-3. :mrgreen: Bagong-bago noon yung OD-3, and I got one and thinking... my peavey bandit on vintage mode sounds better!  Sayang I flipped it back then when I was tight on cash, but I could've sprung for modding it.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »
these days, mas refreshing na makakita ng all boss pedal board kesa sa yung mga uso ngayon na boutique na maraming drawing/kulay, weird names for knob controls, super bright/blinking LEDs..etc etc.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
pag nakakakita ako ng simpleng pedal board na puro boss na luma at tanggal na ang pintura.

una kong iniisip kung gaano kagaling kaya yung gitarista. hehe  with the expectation na magaling talaga. one who can do something out of a few

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:39:33 AM »
pag nakakakita ako ng simpleng pedal board na puro boss na luma at tanggal na ang pintura.

una kong iniisip kung gaano kagaling kaya yung gitarista. hehe  with the expectation na magaling talaga. one who can do something out of a few

tama. veteran ang dating. mukhang di tambay sa guitar forums hehe
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
The new Waza Craft BOSS pedals are pretty interesting, though.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
these days, mas refreshing na makakita ng all boss pedal board kesa sa yung mga uso ngayon na boutique na maraming drawing/kulay, weird names for knob controls, super bright/blinking LEDs..etc etc.

planning on reutilizing my old 80's boss pedals from my bcb6 and making it my main Pinas board pag uwi.... And just sell most of the new ones I acquired these past 3 years of gear whoring..

old beat up dd3, octave and flanger.. will retire the red power supply, and see if the old EQ will spring to life after I spray some contact cleaner...hehehe

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
The new Waza Craft BOSS pedals are pretty interesting, though.

i have tried it last week. the mini switch is a normal sd1 and the waza mode ( a little more presence and dynamics imho) to me its a little difference. the boss weed mod is a lot better
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »

i have tried it last week. the mini switch is a normal sd1 and the waza mode ( a little more presence and dynamics imho) to me its a little difference. the boss weed mod is a lot better

Did you get to try the Waza BD-2?
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
Did you get to try the Waza BD-2?

hindi kase may bd2 weed mod ako :lol:  next visit ill try it. mas nagas ako sa weehbo plexiface, plexi and blackface pedal in one at tsaka yun weehbo slo drive. wala lang salapi

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »

hindi kase may bd2 weed mod ako :lol:  next visit ill try it. mas nagas ako sa weehbo plexiface, plexi and blackface pedal in one at tsaka yun weehbo slo drive. wala lang salapi

Pa-review naman next time, pare. Type ko yung clips e. Analogman mod pa rin yung current champion for me sa Blues Driver sa ngayon :)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
Pa-review naman next time, pare. Type ko yung clips e. Analogman mod pa rin yung current champion for me sa Blues Driver sa ngayon :)

better than the keeley sir?

what does the analog man sound like?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »

better than the keeley sir?

what does the analog man sound like?

let me answer that for you bro

went back today and had fun. i tried the boss waza, analogman bd2 and boorocks bd2 mod from japan  waza is darker across all frequency range compared to analogman.
analogman got more gain too and a bit boomy bass. the highs are a bit thin imho but its clearer overall than waza. boorocks otoh is fantastic, no boomy bass or thin highs, it just sounds right and pleasing to my ears. a lot of gain when maxed too. it beats my bd2 weed mod in terms of sound but the price is just too steep. all 3 are not TBP and made in taiwan btw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
let me answer that for you bro

went back today and had fun. i tried the boss waza, analogman bd2 and boorocks bd2 mod from japan  waza is darker across all frequency range compared to analogman.
analogman got more gain too and a bit boomy bass. the highs are a bit thin imho but its clearer overall than waza. boorocks otoh is fantastic, no boomy bass or thin highs, it just sounds right and pleasing to my ears. a lot of gain when maxed too. it beats my bd2 weed mod in terms of sound but the price is just too steep. all 3 are not TBP and made in taiwan btw

Nice one bro Rmansh! I've sent you a PM :D

Offline ayofish

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
After reading this thread I bought a metal zone and did the Diezel Mod to it. Really missed that sound that only a modded metal zone can achieve.

Next project is a ds1 with the SEM and Ultra Mod. ! :)
"Practice makes perfect, But no one is perfect so why practice? Because practice makes masters and experts!!!!"

Offline Garner

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Ano mod po ba pwede gawin sa SD1? :-D
By All Odds on facebook!
Hello Brooklyn on facebook!

Offline masarapangtaho

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
i still keep a modded DS-1 for those tamad-mag-bitbit-ng-board days. :-D