hulika

Author Topic: CGI Electronics CUSTOM BOUTIQUE PEDALS  (Read 163489 times)

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: CUSTOM BOTIQUE PEDALS!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2007, 01:13:07 PM »
Sir, so hindi pwede pang metal to?
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
WOW! Thanks for the reviews guys! Stuff like these inspire people to work and improve the things they do. Anyway, sir INCX, im working on that 3 band EQ to give the pedal more tweakability. You also pointed out the pedal being middy, which is true, but if you spend a little more time with it and really experiment how the 3 knobs interact, you could come up with trebly and bassy sounds too. For the pedal interaction part, try tweaking the both the TS and the BSIAB side together. Somewhere along the road, you will find out that they DO interact, especially when you use the TS as a clean boost. Try maxing out the Level, set the tone on 7 O'clock and the drive at 8 O'clock. At least thats how it works for me. You will notice a boost when these 2 are on.

Also, we can ask sir chromeknive to share his settings and how he managed to nail some kind of metal tone. I will also ask around from friends of mine who use this pedal, and how they set it. My friend of mine was able to hit a Tom Morello tone (thin and crunchy) with a cheapo Hartke amp. It all boils down to experimentation and spending time with your pedal.

Thanks for the reviews again! :-D
Spread the Sound of the South!!!
facebook.com/christerisulat
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 02:02:54 PM »
look what the wind blew in!

A stash of Sprague Orange Drop Capacitors :-)

I will be posting pics of the actual pedals soon. I cant find the damn DVD where i stored the pics of previous works. Sorry guys!
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline jehed

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »
amazing!!!!!!  :-D
matututunan ko din to.....
sana,  :-D :-D :-D
and thats the fun i have though.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »
WoW!! Gaganda nang Orange Drops mo! They look like pre-aquisition stock, may nakatatak pa na Sprague. The newer ones, after the Sprague company was bought by Vishay, no longer has "Sprague" written on them.

Anyway, pwedeng i-mod yung stock tone control nang BSIAB2 paramagkaron nang mid-control (mid-scoop). Ginawa ko yan sa Big Muff Pi.

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

if you want metal tones, get a pedal that sounds like a mesa boogie or something. marshall isnt too good not unless you boost it and eq it properly to get slayer tones.

tip: get a SANSAMP GT2. or a clone of it. i think christer can make you a clone for it. its very versatile too :P

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »
paengkee be sure to include the clean tone of your guitar first before stepping on your BSIAB/TS pedal so we can have a better idea as to how it sounds.

Bka magpagawa na rin kasi ako. :-D

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2007, 06:58:39 PM »
yummy =)

look what the wind blew in!

A stash of Sprague Orange Drop Capacitors :-)

I will be posting pics of the actual pedals soon. I cant find the damn DVD where i stored the pics of previous works. Sorry guys!

Offline ceesharp

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
Hey there, Sir Christer! Good job on your pedals! Nagd-drool ako sa mga description ng tones na kaya ng TS-808/BSIAB pedal. Grabe. Nakaka-GAS! :-D Uhmmm... Question. Anong ibig sabihin ng "CGI"?

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
WoW!! Gaganda nang Orange Drops mo! They look like pre-aquisition stock, may nakatatak pa na Sprague. The newer ones, after the Sprague company was bought by Vishay, no longer has "Sprague" written on them.

Really? so more or less, what i have are NOS? might as well purchase the whole stock they have there... It seems that it is only me who noticed it there. This was the scenario when i found these: I walked in to an old radio parts shop, looking for MN3007 and MN3101 IC's, while waiting for the sales person i was wandering about the store, then the pentel pen written words SPRAGUE caught my eye. When i asked the guy to open it, whalla, a drawer full of dusty old candy looking thingies. Imagine my surprise! These things sell at Php 99.00 online, and they were sold to me at a great great great price. Go figure! :-D

Anyway, yeah, im finishing up the layouut i have for the modded versioin of the BSIAB2. It is just a little play of capacitors here and there and youl get the 3 band eq. :-D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:16:34 AM by christer »
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline hardcore misery

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2007, 08:08:56 PM »
ok im going to post 2 reviews. one is me about plugging the hiblood (HB) to a b52 100w amp. and one is with me listening to it while a friend used it at a gig.

ok here it goes:

sound: 9/10: when i first plugged it in, the first thing i tried was the ts808 side. i had the amp on clean and set the eq to taste. to be honest i wasnt that much impressed. then i remembered reading something sa forum that the ts808 isnt that good as a stand alone od. so i tried it using the b-52's drive channel and using it as a booster. KAPOW! ayun! the super sterile hi gain sounds ng b-52 were injected with added warmth and mids! it was a tad more dynamic as well. switching to the neck pickup gave me slash-esque tones (i had no tone control so i compensated with the amp and pedal). i switched back to clean and started playing around with my coil tap. on the bridge position with the gain on full and the volume around 3 o clock i get nice dirt on open chords. before i knew it i was playing along to Joy Division's Shadow Play and it sounds quite close. but here is what surprised me the most. my neck pickup is a Dimarzio Humbucker from hell and if you guys know what that is, it is a "glassy" humbucker. so i coil tapped it and clicked on the ts808. a made some runs on the lower strings and i heard a very familiar tone: SRV's tone in texas flood! i know his pickup was in the bridge position at that time, but the humbucker from hell's high treble response and the ts808 gave me that super "BALLSY" sound from the neck! haha i dunno how to play texas flood (i have time to learn before i record the demo so i might just include it. intro lang... hehe), but i sure know what it sounds like. and it sounds close. so far thats all i can say about the ts808 as a standalone od/booster for the amp. next is the bsiab side...

at first i wanted to try lo gain sounds so i set the gain on 0. stupid me. this thing reacts like a real amp! zero gain = zero sound! its like a volume and master volume. basically what you see is what you get: hi gain marshall. it has that throaty marshall voicing that i love so much. open d in dropped d tuning sounds amazing. there is not much variation in gain as it is a "cranked" marshall sound but it reacts quite well with the volume knob. i experienced some muddiness at the lowest volume of my guitar though, but i think thats with my pots. taps and pinch harmonics are quite easy to pull off and it will sustain for a very long time. i paired it with a bbe sonic maximizer and it really shined. its hard to describe with words so you guys just have to wait for the video demo.

when i cascaded the two i was rewarded with TONS of sustain. and its sweet because it sustains to feedback! i love doing that! :D

ok so far that was the pedal alone at a "livingroom in the third floor of a building" level (ok it was quite loud.) next is the pedal in a band setting

my friend borrowed my guitar and the HB para sa YFC thingy nila. i came along and played roadie (poor me.) the amps there were a marshall valvestate 50, and a b52 (again) 50 watt. he used the marshall i think (i would... :P). when they played i noticed that i couldnt hear him very well. but i did hear the marshall "Crunch" behind all the instruments (rhythm guitars siya e). they played in a huge gym and i was i think 50 meters away at first. i guess the 50w amps werent enough for such a big venue. when i went closer to the stage, i could hear it and darn, that marshall sounds like a marshall... i mean, its a sound you thought you wouldnt hear from a VALVESTATE. maybe its with the levels that doesnt make it cut that much but from a band standpoint, his prescence is heard and its not like "hey, listen to me, im the loudest member of the band" sort of way. even with his levels set so poorly, i could still hear him and thats a good thing. it wasnt annoying like those kids who used a poorly mixed zoom (those things could sound good with proper timpla :D) and a poorly tweaked metalzone (that too.)

so that ends my semi-in-depth review of the Highblood pedal. para may pa-epek, ill leave you guys with a quotable quote:

good tones happen to those who tweak. :D

basta gusto kong makarinig ng converge na tone:D ok yang sustain to feedback ah:)
BOSS MetalZone II / GTX-BOSTON HeavyMetal 100 OVERKILL MOD
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,71925.0.html

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2007, 08:11:11 PM »

Really? so more or less, what i have are NOS? might as well purchase the whole stock they have there... It seems that it is only me who noticed it there. This was the scenario when i found these: I walked in to an old radio parts shop, looking for MN3007 and MN3101 IC's, while waiting for the sales person i was wandering about the store, then the pentel pen written words SPRAGUE caught my eye. When i asked the guy to open it, whalla, a drawer full of dusty old candy looking thingies. Imagine my surprise! These things sell at Php 99.00 online, and they were sold to me at a great great great price. Go figure! :-D

Anyway, yeah, im finishing up the layouut i have for the modded versioin of the BSIAB2. It is just a little play of capacitors here and there and youl get the 3 band eq. :-D
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline IncX

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2007, 08:26:24 PM »

pwede bro.

the highblood is a hi-gain pedal and all hi-gain pedals eventually find their way to metal.

however, there are many kinds of metal, and here are a few examples:

1.) early dimebag metal = its basically a metal zone type distortion with focused bass and a sh*tload of treble.

2.) slayer metal = this is where the highblood belongs. mid heavy and is the type youd either hate or love. i use to hate this sound as a teenager, but now i appreciate its ability to cut thru cymbals and bass.

3.) metallica metal = this is the scooped mid setting. a bit like dimebag in the later years with emphasis on treble and bass.

4.) death/extreme metal = while most death metal bands dont use this type of gain, it is the type of gain that is usually appreciated by fans of extreme metal. it is characterized by very scooped mids and extremely high bass levels and moderately high treble/presence. i love the sound of this kind of gain but its just hard to make it cut thru certain bass tones. some ppl describe this as muddy (but not muddy in a big muff sorta way).

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »
wow words of enlightenment! Thanks for the info sir INCX! we are all learning a lot here :-D
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2007, 09:17:35 PM »

Notice: Friends and forumites, i will be out of town starting Monday, Oct 15, 2007, until Thursday, Oct 19, 2007. Orders recieved within today, (Oct 8.) will still be recieved at the date we agreed upon.

I will still be able to recieve and reply to your emails and queries for the time that i will be out, but i will have to hold taking orders for next week. Also, i only have the maximum capability of taking orders of 5 pedals a week, so orders will be on a first come first serve basis. Thanks for the overwhelming support! :-D
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2007, 10:11:32 PM »
pwede bro.

the highblood is a hi-gain pedal and all hi-gain pedals eventually find their way to metal.

however, there are many kinds of metal, and here are a few examples:

1.) early dimebag metal = its basically a metal zone type distortion with focused bass and a sh*tload of treble.

2.) slayer metal = this is where the highblood belongs. mid heavy and is the type youd either hate or love. i use to hate this sound as a teenager, but now i appreciate its ability to cut thru cymbals and bass.

3.) metallica metal = this is the scooped mid setting. a bit like dimebag in the later years with emphasis on treble and bass.

4.) death/extreme metal = while most death metal bands dont use this type of gain, it is the type of gain that is usually appreciated by fans of extreme metal. it is characterized by very scooped mids and extremely high bass levels and moderately high treble/presence. i love the sound of this kind of gain but its just hard to make it cut thru certain bass tones. some ppl describe this as muddy (but not muddy in a big muff sorta way).

you forgot "metalcore". you know. "sideswept hair metal". yeah. scooped mids on a mesa type distortion.

good thing the highblood doesnt have that sound. now i have a reason not to let em borrow it. muhahaha

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2007, 10:28:02 PM »
salamat sir incx! whew! excited na ako! sana umabot na pera ko!
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »
paengkee be sure to include the clean tone of your guitar first before stepping on your BSIAB/TS pedal so we can have a better idea as to how it sounds.

Bka magpagawa na rin kasi ako. :-D

ahehe gusto mo lang mapakinggan ang n1 no? :P :P :P

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2007, 11:37:04 PM »
Sirs, i would like to apologize for my poor showing of customer relations, i keep on forgetting who im dealing with and what their queries were.

Because of this i will now employ the use of a log book to keep track of whos who, and what their queries were. I sincerely apologize for my mistakes. This is of course learning process for me, and it is with situations like these that i get to learn how to manage and approach certain situations. Hoping for your patience.

Christer
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline walter123

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2007, 11:38:18 PM »
ano nga bang ibg sbhn kapag scooped mid? mababa ang mid?

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2007, 04:23:24 AM »

Thats it, NOS. Di ko lang sure kung anong year yan manufactured. Malamang hindi lang nila alam ang value nang mga Orange drops na yan. Otherwise, malaking taga nila sa price, o kaya na-eBay na nila yan. So, bilhin mo na stock nila bago nila malaman ang tunay na value ;)

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »
ahehe gusto mo lang mapakinggan ang n1 no? :P :P :P

hehehe. aside from that it's also good to inlude the clean tone as a reference for the dirt tone diba?

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Hey there, Sir Christer! Good job on your pedals! Nagd-drool ako sa mga description ng tones na kaya ng TS-808/BSIAB pedal. Grabe. Nakaka-GAS! :-D Uhmmm... Question. Anong ibig sabihin ng "CGI"?

Initials ko po yung CGI hehe :-D
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline christer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
Thats it, NOS. Di ko lang sure kung anong year yan manufactured. Malamang hindi lang nila alam ang value nang mga Orange drops na yan. Otherwise, malaking taga nila sa price, o kaya na-eBay na nila yan. So, bilhin mo na stock nila bago nila malaman ang tunay na value ;)

Alright! ill put aside some money and buy a stock over the weekend. Again and again, thanks for the tips! :-D
XTR on Sound Cloud

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
hey guys mejo magiging delayed ang video demo because im gonna have the hiblood tweaked a bit. but my band is gonna record with the pedal next week.