hulika

Author Topic: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?  (Read 52367 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I hate artist endorsed Major Brands?
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 01:21:08 PM »
people are willing to do a LOT of things for a million dollars, dude. scale it down to a more realistic figure, and that can be a more interesting question.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »
if you said no what do you think your freinds will say to you?   
they will adore me after I give them gifts and party with them(using my overloaded bank account) .....of course ...it's all on me.  8-)
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 01:34:05 PM »
people are willing to do a LOT of things for a million dollars, dude. scale it down to a more realistic figure, and that can be a more interesting question.

obyusly thats a figure of speech of course you guys know what i mean, if the price is right kinda thing, whatever is realistic to you then.

Offline Chicco

« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
6 Cycle Mind. Each got a house & lot and a car for the Tanduay deal.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »

obyusly thats a figure of speech of course you guys know what i mean, if the price is right kinda thing, whatever is realistic to you then.
i don't mean to sound like a detail freak, dude. but, if the price is right, just about any one of us would do it. it's a relative value, hence will differ from person to person. the luxury to turn down an endorsement deal purely out of principle is reserved to a small minority.

that's the whole nature of an endorsement deal. if the endorsee is happy with the name association and entailing increase in demand, and the endorser is happy with what he gets, then all is good.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 02:09:47 PM »
HELL YEAH :-o 8-) ano kaya nakuha ng PNE sa mang tomas deal?
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Chicco

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 02:30:05 PM »
HELL YEAH :-o 8-) ano kaya nakuha ng PNE sa mang tomas deal?

Lifetime supply ng Mang Tomas? LOL

Si Michael Jordan naman, ng Chicago Bulls days, 'pag iniinterview regarding sa secret niya sa air time; "It's all about the shoes".

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2007, 02:34:33 PM »
Whoah....

Biglang humaba ang thread na ito...

PRSman,

1) Actually, though I tolerated artist endorsements, the successive Guitar World features on EVH's amp and Steve Vai actually using a Fender got me pissed.  Because I don't think its fair that other people will feel some doubt about what was sold to them previously.  Whats more, I feel that there are better manufacturers out there who make better stuff.  There is just a lack of transparency and sincerity in a lot of today's music and though I know its really about making money for a majority, it just does not feel right.  

2) I have been a victim of artist endorsement, I used to have an Ibanez PGM MIJ, Ibanez Reb Beach with Brazilian Rosewood MIJ, Ibanez Jem 7 VWH MIJ, ESP George Lynch around 3 of them, Washburn N4 Nuno Bettencourt Padauk.  I had them all at the same time but was beat by a no-name cheap Japanese Les Paul knock-off.  The only signature thingy I have left today is a George Lynch Time Machine Boost pedal.   So, technically I dont go for the signature stuff today.  However, I still try signature stuff and most of them are disappointing.  

3) On Baker#55, it gets better every day.  I am speechless. I have to say that this guitar will beat 99.9% of electric guitars out there.  Nothing ABed against it has beaten it at least to my ears.  Its really that good.  So good that I am now in the process of buying my 2nd baker in less than 2 months.   DISCLAIMER: the statements are extremely reflective of my bias and sense of hyperbole.    

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »
sabi nga nila eh...

"Don't hate the player, Hate the game"
Click Here

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2007, 02:42:20 PM »
We all know its a marketing thing. Same rason why we have actors and actresses endorsing noodles and panty liners but that doesnt mean they eat panty liners and wear noodles of those brands all the time. Back to guitar, as far as endorsemnt goes IMHO only PG is brave enough and credible enough to say "use the PGM 301, its the closest thing to the one i use" hes stand by his word so much that everytim he do a clinic he can just get if off the shelves and wank with it. Now thats an endorsement.

hehehe i even read somewhere that he even had ibanez make a plywood bodied PGM for him and he actually liked it :|!  But of course i doubt if he'll prefer that over his current basswood guitar.  And the way he attacks the strings could compensate for the woods lack of response.
At least this guy stuck with Ibanez. EVH on the other hand....... :|

I'm a fan, He's a TONE CHASER daw e. So I'd love to own a USA Music Man EVH, USA Peavey Wolfgang, Charvel Art Series and a Fender frankenstrat. Also the MXR EVH Phaser and Flanger. Amps din.

Also I'm gonna stripe paint a red converse with white and black. Hmmm, dapat pala e-mail ko si EVH para mag endorse sya ng striped converse.

Tone is in the shoes.  :-D

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »
i don't mean to sound like a detail freak, dude. but, if the price is right, just about any one of us would do it. it's a relative value, hence will differ from person to person. the luxury to turn down an endorsement deal purely out of principle is reserved to a small minority.

that's the whole nature of an endorsement deal. if the endorsee is happy with the name association and entailing increase in demand, and the endorser is happy with what he gets, then all is good.

exactly, its a hypothetical and rethorical question for all of us to answer by putting ourselves in the shoes of the "Idols" in relation to accepting endorsement deals (and or ethical concerns and biases) thus having it from their view / vantage point. by answering yes to it one will come to realize this.... Its just business and that there is nothing wrong with it, implicating the point that blaming and hating them for doing it is totally way out of line in short its a hypocritical BS if one says no (with the execption of maybe like what Phil (jokingly) said if one has so much money enuf for him bribe everyone to believe that thats a perfectly sane decision) and that he doesnt want that money at all.

with regards to the Whore analogy (the monetary consideration as opposed t o Tone as the motivation for endorsements) I think its far incorrect  and judgemental to make such analogy. Prostitution is a moral and criminal issue (in most Legal systems) , whereas endorsement deals are legal business arrangements.

anyway AL thats fine i guess this completely sums up my point.

surprisingly only 2 guys answerd the Money conversation Test    

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
3) On Baker#55, it gets better every day.  I am speechless. I have to say that this guitar will beat 99.9% of electric guitars out there.  Nothing ABed against it has beaten it at least to my ears.  Its really that good.  So good that I am now in the process of buying my 2nd baker in less than 2 months.   DISCLAIMER: the statements are extremely reflective of my bias and sense of hyperbole.     

Ayus, classic Oas!!!  Gotta love the disclaimer too.  :-D

Magpa-shootout/tone party ka naman para yung remaining 0.01% can take a shot at the Baker!

Come to think of it, pagamit mo kay Steve uli sa Aug 11, Bros Moustache.  I will use whatever any serious 'challenger' would offer for me to use.  ;-)

Offline legato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
Whoah....

PRSman,

1) Actually, though I tolerated artist endorsements, the successive Guitar World features on EVH's amp and Steve Vai actually using a Fender got me pissed.  Because I don't think its fair that other people will feel some doubt about what was sold to them previously.  Whats more, I feel that there are better manufacturers out there who make better stuff.  There is just a lack of transparency and sincerity in a lot of today's music and though I know its really about making money for a majority, it just does not feel right. 

2) I have been a victim of artist endorsement, I used to have an Ibanez PGM MIJ, Ibanez Reb Beach with Brazilian Rosewood MIJ, Ibanez Jem 7 VWH MIJ, ESP George Lynch around 3 of them, Washburn N4 Nuno Bettencourt Padauk.  I had them all at the same time but was beat by a no-name cheap Japanese Les Paul knock-off.  The only signature thingy I have left today is a George Lynch Time Machine Boost pedal.   So, technically I dont go for the signature stuff today.  However, I still try signature stuff and most of them are disappointing.   

3) On Baker#55, it gets better every day.  I am speechless. I have to say that this guitar will beat 99.9% of electric guitars out there.  Nothing ABed against it has beaten it at least to my ears.  Its really that good.  So good that I am now in the process of buying my 2nd baker in less than 2 months.   DISCLAIMER: the statements are extremely reflective of my bias and sense of hyperbole.     

I believe you want the very best (subjective IMO). Good for you.

Most folks just go by with Price Performance Ratio. Maybe even EVH, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Satriani, Yngwie, Clapton, etc. etc.

Offline IncX

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2007, 03:54:57 PM »

if you give me 5K now so i can endorse some lumanog piece of crap... id do it.

hell, im not poor... but still, i am an unknown guy typing over the internet... id gladly endorse lumanog... although id definitely talk crap behind its back. ill say "well, im not doing anything... wont hurt if i get 5K just to get some photos taken. i did it for free before" ...

i remember, even e-heads endorsed Hot Cabs. and we all know they are crap amps.

the only thing i wouldnt endorse even if i get paid a million... is a politician. OK, so maybe ill endorse duterte for a million. but it has to be a million, and not less.

Offline Lofi

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Back to guitar, as far as endorsemnt goes IMHO only PG is brave enough and credible enough to say "use the PGM 301, its the closest thing to the one i use" hes stand by his word so much that everytim he do a clinic he can just get if off the shelves and wank with it. Now thats an endorsement.

Isn't that also Vai's "official" statement in the Ibanez Catalog? Goes something like "anywhere in the world, when I go in a store and pick up a Jem, it's my voice."

Dunno about his clinics, though.

that's a lil funny because a story in Vai's site tells  something about his neck pick up being broken then being replaced by the same kind of pick up, after they got into his van or what ever they drove in, he played his guitar and got disappointed or something with the replacements, so they had to came back to where the original pick up was thrown away and search for the whole place.
...so what's with that? ad he only uses EvO, Flo and Bo, evo ,despte in it's worst condition can not be replaced by any ibanez Jem model, so maybe i's about the sentimental thing? and his JEm has tremsetters. which i thi yo cant find in a stock JEM

Offline iced.ink.used.ink

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:48 PM »
eheh.i hate artist endorsed guitars kase mahal!
yung tunog nasa yo na yun kung magustuhan mo.

paul gilbert uses off the rack guitars (daw)..no difference sa performance.malupit pa din. :-D la lang

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »
ErnieBong,

Just to clarify why I called EVH a whore but a lovable whore at that, even if it does not seem obvious to you, is his willingness to sell out to a lesser company. 

Several years ago I asked Soldano amplification -- we all do know that F.U.C.K. was recorded on a SLO 100 -- why they did not get EVH to endorse their amp.  They said, we did not have US$250,000 to pay him. In fact, during the time that we first saw the Peavey 5150 cabinets on stage at the backline three SLO100s were powering them.  If you look closely at the Peavey 5150 Head 1st Edition, it is an exact layout copy of the SLO with the exception choice between a Hi or Lo input jack. 

And just to prove a point that the SLO100 is something special AND not just another amp with a different voicing/flavor, no peavey or fender distortion or overdrive can come close to the clarity, sustain, harmonic richness and punch of a SLO100.  DISCLAIMER: Anything I say will be disowned by Soldano because I am this crazy guy who loves to collect high gain tube amps with so much distortion and so much loudness that my ears are so shot that I cannot distinguish between a Peavey, Fender or Soldano. :)

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »
DISCLAIMER: Anything I say will be disowned by Soldano because I am this crazy guy who loves to collect high gain tube amps with so much distortion and so much loudness that my ears are so shot that I cannot distinguish between a Peavey, Fender or Soldano. :)

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to agree with Alex. EVH really is an endorsement whore, with "whore" meaning not a stick-to-one-brand kind of guy. Eddie is a businessman as much as he is a rockstar so he'd naturally go for the bigger, better deal. Music Man failed to produce EVH signature guitars at the rate that Eddie wanted that's why he moved to Peavey, etc.

What about the Dunlop Slash signature wah? He still uses the rackmounted wah during live concerts but he endorses the red one because he gets paid well for it. The bottom line is, product endorsement is more of a business now than it was before. Most of the famous musicians out there allow their names to be associated with specific equipment not only because of the quality of that piece of gear but also because of the money they receive for it. There are exceptions, though. Scott Henderson has extensively worked with John Suhr to come up with his signature Suhr Standard. He might have been paid as well for endorsing a Suhr guitar, but Henderson's remark that Suhr is the best guitar company he's ever worked with seems to have more credibility because the quality of Suhr's products is much higher than the more popular mass production-oriented manufacturers.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2007, 05:51:46 PM »
why the HATE mehn.....PEACE nalang tayo lahat... :mrgreen:

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »
point taken, either way its their prerogative whom to do business with, regardless of how big or small that may be. i think we should choose our words and be fair to them. for all we know maybe he liked all those gear that he made business with agian its jsut a matter of prerogative on his part what to endorse during those particular times. im just saying its unfair to take it against them when they stamp their name on a product that we think is inferior (yeah maybe we are all too sentimental about music and music gear) someone here said its just a marketing thing... it is, and if we beleive these guys arent credible because they jumpship from company to company for whatever reason, its just us,  the companies they work with didnt think so if they did they most  probably wont hire them. if we feel bad because we got duped into buying inferior stuff because it had their name on then maybe we dont respect their value at all, the main reason companies put celeb names on a products is because of their trade name equity that increases the product's market value (or lack of)... putting an EVH name on a cotton shirt will make it twice the cost of a shirt of the same kind without his name on it, its just the way it is. we buy inferior products everyday with some celebs name on it without knowing it. if we blame ourselves for trusting our "Idols" too much then why should we take it agianst them, if we take it against them then we are actually saying that we are a victim and its their fault.

just like what vai said no one is to blame

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 06:22:23 PM »
... There are exceptions, though. Scott Henderson has extensively worked with John Suhr to come up with his signature Suhr Standard. He might have been paid as well for endorsing a Suhr guitar, but Henderson's remark that Suhr is the best guitar company he's ever worked with seems to have more credibility because the quality of Suhr's products is much higher than the more popular mass production-oriented manufacturers.
woooshoooo... you're just saying that kasi you own a Suhr. Suhr sucks mehng...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »
... There are exceptions, though. Scott Henderson has extensively worked with John Suhr to come up with his signature Suhr Standard. He might have been paid as well for endorsing a Suhr guitar, but Henderson's remark that Suhr is the best guitar company he's ever worked with seems to have more credibility because the quality of Suhr's products is much higher than the more popular mass production-oriented manufacturers.
woooshoooo... you're just saying that kasi you own a Suhr. Suhr sucks mehng...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tsss.... panget naman ng suhr eh!!!! hahahaha
i'd pick a rockers guitar over a suhr any day!! !
haha loko lang ian!

good one on the save! haha

welcome back alex!

Offline pings15

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »
Alex

I don't get where the heartache is coming from:

--  You're a businessman right?  So you know that the endorsement game is for the most part all about money and not so much about "man I really dig this product".  So you can't possibly be shocked about this "lack of integrity" displayed by some players.

--  You're also one smart cat who knows a lot of stuff about gear.  So you can't possibly have been duped into buying something just because Pepe and Pilar both use it.  You of all people probably do tons of research before pulling the trigger on anything.

So, what's really bugging you about this whole endorsement thing?

BTW -- how's #55 doing?

this thing is all psychological..

Just like the Nike Air Jordan, even though we cant play like him if we wear those shoes we feel that now i am one step closer to becoming Jordan...

and artists endorse because of th money and the benefits it can give to you.. i bet dave mustaine made a     big adjustmnt when he got to dean guitars, theres nothing he could do about it its pays a lot better..

huh?  i don't get what your reply has to do with my question to alex

ooops my bad... haha sorry...
OH MAN! OH GOD!
Progressive Metal
 www.facebook.com/OMOGofficial   Album to be out soon!  ----- Peavey 5150 |  2x12 Cab with Celestion Speakers  | Micsis Custom 7 DiMarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire Pickups | Gruv Gear Fret Wraps | Dunlop Heavy Core Strings

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2007, 06:54:03 PM »
Nung nasa Rivermaya pa si Sir Perf akala ko may endorsement siya sa Ibanez.  :-)

Do we have local guitar players with endorsements from Ibanez or any known brand? AFAIK merong mga artist sa ibang Asian countries na nageendorese ng Ibanez eh, bakit dito sa atin wala?
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2007, 06:57:38 PM »
Whoah....

PRSman,

1) Actually, though I tolerated artist endorsements, the successive Guitar World features on EVH's amp and Steve Vai actually using a Fender got me pissed.  Because I don't think its fair that other people will feel some doubt about what was sold to them previously.  Whats more, I feel that there are better manufacturers out there who make better stuff.  There is just a lack of transparency and sincerity in a lot of today's music and though I know its really about making money for a majority, it just does not feel right.  

2) I have been a victim of artist endorsement, I used to have an Ibanez PGM MIJ, Ibanez Reb Beach with Brazilian Rosewood MIJ, Ibanez Jem 7 VWH MIJ, ESP George Lynch around 3 of them, Washburn N4 Nuno Bettencourt Padauk.  I had them all at the same time but was beat by a no-name cheap Japanese Les Paul knock-off.  The only signature thingy I have left today is a George Lynch Time Machine Boost pedal.   So, technically I dont go for the signature stuff today.  However, I still try signature stuff and most of them are disappointing.  

3) On Baker#55, it gets better every day.  I am speechless. I have to say that this guitar will beat 99.9% of electric guitars out there.  Nothing ABed against it has beaten it at least to my ears.  Its really that good.  So good that I am now in the process of buying my 2nd baker in less than 2 months.   DISCLAIMER: the statements are extremely reflective of my bias and sense of hyperbole.    

may i ask what was the brand of the les paul copy?