hulika

Author Topic: About Drum Thrones!  (Read 3661 times)

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
About Drum Thrones!
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »

after watching tutorials on double bass playing, i realized how seat height is so important to endurance and speed with the double pedals.

so after more than 10 years, i decided to set a different seat height for my stock drum throne (came with the Pearl Export series i got in '96), and realized its already in the highest setting!

for a 5'7 guy, i swear that throne was made for dwarves.

anyway, i went to JB and got me that Pearl throne that costs 3.3K that is basically like the stock throne, except you have better height adjustment options.

i swear! its like magic! ... my stamina and speed doubled, and it felt a lot more effortless compared to that stock throne.

and i realized that most drummers dont care much about drum thrones... they usually just find anything to sit on and thats it!

i dont know how important drum thrones are to other genres, but as far as metal is concerned... getting a good drum throne is like getting new double pedals when it comes to your performance!

-*-

anyway, what drum thrones are you using, and why did you choose it?

-*-

this is my first topic here, having cross over to DRUMS :D

i was playing bass before but when my band's future became uncertain and i couldnt get gigs as a bassist ... i decided to play drums. Metal drum playing to be exact... i want to be versatile in the future but as for now, im interested only in metal drum playing :D

Offline CDodrummer

Re: About Drum Thrones!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:43:50 AM »
I use the stock throne on my pearl forum. I play double bass but i don't sit too high. Just right, tama lang. my only complaint is sakit sa pwet after a few hours
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »
mapex drum throne!

you should've gotten that instead, much better value compared to the pearl throne @ only 2.5k. i love the big padded seat, it's not soft as you would imagine so as you'd sink when you sit on it, but firm. i bought it because i hated the cheap generic throne i used to have and i was looking to replace it, then one day the metal shaft gave way and i fell down on my ass backwards. XD

yep you're also right about most drummers disregarding the drum throne. i'd rather leave all my cymbals behind rather than not bring my drum throne for a gig. happy booty = better comfort = better performance. lol
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline CDodrummer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:59 AM »
and yeah I hate gigging and the house kit doesn't have a throne instead they have a dirty old plastic stool
Duct tape has a light and darker side. Like the Force, it holds the world together

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

i would have had ask for advice for what drum throne to buy ... but the thing is, im in davao, and i took what i could *lol*

i really would have for that 5K something Gibraltar with cute stick holders on the sides, its just the shop lost the rubber stopper for the cushion.

i also realized that one thing to consider about drum thrones is PORTABILITY ... because here in pinas, you can never trust prods to look at drum thrones, most of the time, you cant even trust them to provide a decent guitar cable.

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
anyway, i went to JB and got me that Pearl throne that costs 3.3K that is basically like the stock throne, except you have better height adjustment options.

ask ko lang po kung yan yung may kasamang towel?

ako din baka kumuha na ng mapex throne kapag gamit ko ung generic masakit sa pwet
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:57 AM »

ask ko lang po kung yan yung may kasamang towel?

ako din baka kumuha na ng mapex throne kapag gamit ko ung generic masakit sa pwet

towel? para saan ...

anyway, wala syang kasama.... para lang syang stock pearl drum throne na may mas magandang height adjustment at mas ok konti na cushion.

Offline rhanen28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:38:18 AM »
yung nakita ko kasi sa JB parksquare may kasamang gibraltar na towel eh
Be a part of drumnation!
www.drumnation.tk!!

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 05:52:31 AM »
i have the mapex drum throne and sadly i hate it's lock
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
i have the mapex drum throne and sadly i hate it's lock

whats wrong with its lock?

Offline Litrumboy

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »
Generic Drum Throne

Pasensya na di ako masyado mahilig sa drum throne eh!!
Litrumboy:
    Wanna Jam.

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
I am using a Gibraltar 9608VA. Nicely cushioned but not too thick. It has 3 velcro attachments for water bottle, towel(may free na gibraltar towel) and stick holder. It is heavily built and has wider rubber grips to add more traction and solid base. This throne doesn't wobble. Height adjustment is from 20-27 inches(thread type) and comes with a memory lock. 14" diameter for comfortable seating...and the best thing...i got it second hand at a very cheap price. :-P

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »
I am using a Gibraltar 9608VA. Nicely cushioned but not too thick. It has 3 velcro attachments for water bottle, towel(may free na gibraltar towel) and stick holder. It is heavily built and has wider rubber grips to add more traction and solid base. This throne doesn't wobble. Height adjustment is from 20-27 inches(thread type) and comes with a memory lock. 14" diameter for comfortable seating...and the best thing...i got it second hand at a very cheap price. :-P

i see, thats the drum throne i was almost gonna get ... but the store lost one of its washers, so oh well...

how is its weight? is it too heavy to carry around? i read a lot of stuff online that the disadvantage of Gibraltars are its weight.

Offline drumachine

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:11 AM »

i also use the same throne. but not the threaded one. got it at jb trinoma for 3.3k. i've always wanted to have a gibraltar stool for its durability and performance + the cute towel included. hehe
watch your problem? ;p

Offline tranquildomain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »
after tightening the lock (for the seat mismo) upuan mo for a while magiging shaky na siya later

My throne is less than 6 months palang  :roll:
UNAS.. the slayer of the Gods..
"Once you begin to see drums as music, you've become a drummer." - George Kollias

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
after tightening the lock (for the seat mismo) upuan mo for a while magiging shaky na siya later

that happens with my old stock Pearl Export drum throne too... just wiggle your butt a bit and the cushion is loose.

i dont know if its the case with the current Pearl seat im using... i dont notice it spinning, so it must be different.

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »

i, on the other hand, don't have that problem. my throne's nearing 1 year already.
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline l_e_i_g_h

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Any chance you can post a couple of pics of your throne that wobbles?

- Leigh

that happens with my old stock Pearl Export drum throne too... just wiggle your butt a bit and the cushion is loose.

i dont know if its the case with the current Pearl seat im using... i dont notice it spinning, so it must be different.
It's "LEI" not "LEE"

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
guys, I would like to ask the difference of an expensive drum thrones between cheap drum thrones?
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!