hulika

Author Topic: Tips for Home Recording on the Laptop  (Read 14532 times)

Offline kingjamm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Tips for Home Recording on the Laptop
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
It looks like I will do 2 condenser mics one for voice and the other for guitar will that work? O.o I'll put the other one in front of my electric guitar amp?

aye dude, sorry for the late response, di masyado active eh....
Yes that would work, but you would do need some acoustic works on your room for that to work properly.
However, there's another way...
Idk if people do it, so I called it "cheating" hehe...
Your amplifier does the headphone out right?
Plug that headphone out, into your mixer.
I did that a couple of times, recording bass and leads hehe....
Worked pretty darn well... :)

Note* If you're using pedals, please do use them pre-amplifier.
Coz' obviously your last out to the mixer would be the amplifier. :)
And, in this method, idk why, but while recording, software pedals (like Guitar Rig and Amplitube)
did not work while recording, it worked after I recorded my actual guitar sounds.
Idk maybe it needed a midi pedal. But, i hope you're using hardware fx pedals. :)
"A good composer does not imitate; he steals" ~ Igor Stravinsky

Offline SexyLicks

• Formerly known as "Paokour"
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
I finally figured a shortcut using IRig and Rocksmith as well Really awesome using the Rocksmith cable thing :)

Thanks for all the inputs by the way. Oh yeah any suggestion for amplifying voice for a mini studio at home?

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »
Up

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:07 AM »
I finally figured a shortcut using IRig and Rocksmith as well Really awesome using the Rocksmith cable thing :)

Thanks for all the inputs by the way. Oh yeah any suggestion for amplifying voice for a mini studio at home?

first, ano muna ang available equipment mo?

amplifying voice for recording or for rehearsal ba?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

first, ano muna ang available equipment mo?

For rehearsal lang :p

amplifying voice for recording or for rehearsal ba?

Wala pa equips , Amp guitar effects palang xD Pang Rehearsal sa mini studio sana namin :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:14:14 AM by SexyLicks »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
Wala pa equips , Amp guitar effects palang xD Pang Rehearsal sa mini studio sana namin :)

ah okay pang rehearsal pala. hahaha

so assuming you have a mic and xlr cable,, best thing to get is a powered mixer, tapos PA Speakers. pwede ka ring mag improvise with a karaoke machine pero thats just the worst case scenario.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 07:27:39 AM »

ah okay pang rehearsal pala. hahaha

so assuming you have a mic and xlr cable,, best thing to get is a powered mixer, tapos PA Speakers. pwede ka ring mag improvise with a karaoke machine pero thats just the worst case scenario.

Okay so the only stuff I don't have is the Mic, XLR , Powered Mixer and PA Speaker xD Any estimate on the budget? sounds expensive haha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
Okay so the only stuff I don't have is the Mic, XLR , Powered Mixer and PA Speaker xD Any estimate on the budget? sounds expensive haha

I'll put the budget at 10-20K depending on the quality and if you're going for new or second hand. If you wanna go cheap, you can get away with those mics with 1/4" TS plugs instead of XLR cables, and one big PA speaker or a set of two smaller ones, but good luck with the quality and resale value, especially with the mics. If anything, get the best secondhand mixer you can find, with the most inputs. Four is a good start, and you can route one of the outputs into the mic/line in of a laptop to record your performance.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »

around 20k kasi 8-10k na ang spekers mo. mixers can be scored from 3-6k depending on number of inputs. tapos cables and stands na yung remaining 4k-ish. :)

Offline mrbasshole

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
Mga sir, konting tulong naman po. 

I'm trying to record bass on my laptop and so far, it's quite a success. I've plugged my ZOOM B3 to a laptop using LE III Sequel software. Now, I want to record video while recording audio but the problem is I don't know how to sync the video (using a phone) and the audio (from the laptop). Neither do I have an amplifier to make my life simpler.

How do I go about this dilemma? I'm no tech savvy so please bear with my ignorance on the matter and your answers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!
As musicians, all we could ever do is listen.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 02:08:18 PM »

I'm trying to record bass on my laptop and so far, it's quite a success. I've plugged my ZOOM B3 to a laptop using LE III Sequel software. Now, I want to record video while recording audio but the problem is I don't know how to sync the video (using a phone) and the audio (from the laptop). Neither do I have an amplifier to make my life simpler.

How do I go about this dilemma? I'm no tech savvy so please bear with my ignorance on the matter and your answers will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I'd use a video editor where you can independently adjust the video and audio tracks independently, such as iMovie or Adobe Premiere. Since you won't have much audio to sync with in the video since you're going direct, maybe hit one slap note you can sync to before the start of your actual performance, then just cut it in the final. Once you get it to sync reasonably, unlink the audio and video tracks of the camera footage, and delete the audio track of that one, leaving the one you recorded.

If you're on a Mac, you can actually set your audio source so you can use the iSight and the Zoom together.

Offline hevymet

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »

Thanks!!!

Hi, i personally use Adobe Premiere Pro in syncing my video with my recording. Just to add on what sonicassault posted. This is my way of doing it, it might be right or wrong, but it works for me.

Method 1: With Monitors On

This means that you are playing through a speaker monitor of some sort. You can hear what your playing so as the camera.

Load the video and your recording on the timeline. Expand the waveforms so you can see them in detail and have an idea of their forms. You'll notice that the video's audio will have the same form with your recording, now try to align them. now you have a synced video, unlink and delete the audio of the video, and done.

Extra tip, ima call this "registration". As soon as i hit record on my DAW and camera, i usually hit the strings once, just to get that peak in the waveforms before i start my run, this will help you register and align your video and recording.

Method 2: Earphones

This means that only you can year what you're recording, the camera is just picking up ambient noises you make while playing and not actual notes (unless your instrument is acoustically loud)

Almost the same procedure as method 1 (make sure you do the "registration") but different method of aligning/syncing. In Premiere Pro, you can scan the video frame by frame. Try to look for the time your pick/fingers touched the strings as you did the "registration", once found, mark that frame. Now go to your recording, look for that wave you made during "registration" and try to align it to the marked frame in the video. Once aligned, trim the video, and youre done!

It might sound confusing, but you'll get used to it. I hope it helps.

Offline mrbasshole

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
Thanks to those who responded. Will definitely try.  :)
As musicians, all we could ever do is listen.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
i usually hit the strings once, just to get that peak in the waveforms before i start my run, this will help you register and align your video and recording.

This is the most important step in this whole thread  :)

Offline hevymet

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 06:48:15 PM »
This is the most important step in this whole thread  :)

That one hit will definitely save you time hehehehehe   :-D