hulika

Author Topic: What direct box should I get?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline achincuanco

• Netizen Level
What direct box should I get?
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »
Main purpose: plug ipod straight to the di then to the main mixer in gigs thru xlr mic cables.

Secondary purpose: plug guitar or bass to the di then to the interface for a better recording sound quality.

I've also read about passive and active di units but don't really know the difference.

Meron din binebenta si audiophile (minamatahan ko na talaga) yung Samson S Direct pero di ako sure kung okay ito.

Question: ano ang best direct box na dapat ko kunin para sa best quality for both purposes mentiobed above. Okay na kaya yung Samson S Direct o meron ba mas okay available sa market? 2k benta nila sa audiophile, budget siguro hanggang 4k for the best possible sound quality.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks philmusic!
Not your typical perfect musician. I'm just a music lover who happens to have a guitar, a camera, some microphones, and a laptop in his hands. http://www.youtube.com/user/AldriceChincuanco

Offline Leon275

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: What direct box should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
If you're considering the s-direct, go for the s - direct+ instead. It will give you 2 unbalanced inputs and 2 balanced outputs. Use both inputs for your ipod or each input for your bass and guitar simultaneous.  You need to give consideration for the sound system provider as you'll need the xlr cables from them unless you plan on buying your own cables.

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »

Offline achincuanco

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »
If you're considering the s-direct, go for the s - direct+ instead. It will give you 2 unbalanced inputs and 2 balanced outputs. Use both inputs for your ipod or each input for your bass and guitar simultaneous.  You need to give consideration for the sound system provider as you'll need the xlr cables from them unless you plan on buying your own cables.

Hi Leon.

Will it make a difference if i use 2 xlr outputs (samson s direct plus) from the di to the main mixer vs 1 xlr output (samson s direct) ? Will the sound quality be better?

What do you mean by using 2 inputs for my ipod?

Thanks
Not your typical perfect musician. I'm just a music lover who happens to have a guitar, a camera, some microphones, and a laptop in his hands. http://www.youtube.com/user/AldriceChincuanco

Offline achincuanco

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI100.aspx

3,300 naman ito B0s  :)

Sir, mas ok ba quality ng sound nito kesa sa samson?

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 05:28:45 PM »
Main purpose: plug ipod straight to the di then to the main mixer in gigs thru xlr mic cables.

Kung malapit lang naman ang mixer, no need for the direct box.  Recommended ang direct box for this purpose is kung malayo ang ipod sa mixer.

Secondary purpose: plug guitar or bass to the di then to the interface for a better recording sound quality.

Highly recommended!

I've also read about passive and active di units but don't really know the difference.

Use passive direct box for active devices.  Use active direct box for passive devices.

Meron din binebenta si audiophile (minamatahan ko na talaga) yung Samson S Direct pero di ako sure kung okay ito.

Question: ano ang best direct box na dapat ko kunin para sa best quality for both purposes mentiobed above. Okay na kaya yung Samson S Direct o meron ba mas okay available sa market? 2k benta nila sa audiophile, budget siguro hanggang 4k for the best possible sound quality.

The best is Radial.  Costs around 5.5K at JB Music during sale.  Kung nagtitipid, Samson and Behringer.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks philmusic!

Offline achincuanco

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Sir, thanks for the comments above. Seriously considering to get radial pro di. Malayo ba difference compared to samson s direct? Mas sulit ba or halos same lang. Medyo double kasi ung price difference nila eh.

The best is Radial.  Costs around 5.5K at JB Music during sale.  Kung nagtitipid, Samson and Behringer.

Thanks philmusic!

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
Sir, thanks for the comments above. Seriously considering to get radial pro di. Malayo ba difference compared to samson s direct? Mas sulit ba or halos same lang. Medyo double kasi ung price difference nila eh.

I don't have the Radial, but based on reviews, it's the best.

Get the Radial if you can afford it. 

Lumalabas ang totoong tunog ng instrument sa DI na yan.

Offline sikyo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:57:02 AM »
Check also kung mono o stereo ang inputs. Stereo yata ang iPod while mono ang guitars.
make sound matter
"Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of His praise be heard..." - Psalm 66:8a (NIV)

Offline Leon275

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi Leon.

Will it make a difference if i use 2 xlr outputs (samson s direct plus) from the di to the main mixer vs 1 xlr output (samson s direct) ? Will the sound quality be better?

What do you mean by using 2 inputs for my ipod?

Thanks
For bass guitar/electric guitar you only use one input because these are mono sources. For your ipod it's a stereo source ( left and right). You cant plug a stereo pl to the direct box so you'll need 2 inputs (short of having 2 DI boxes for your left and right channel).  In terms of sound, depends on the tracks you're playing. There are tracks with heavy panning (think slash and izzy guitar riffs in appetite.) and you won't get that stereo effect using only the left or right channel.

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:20 PM »
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/s-class-mini/sdirectplus/

For stereo purpose you might want the S DIRECT PLUS. Best direct box (subjective ito).

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:03 PM »

Offline binting

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »

naka line level na yung ipod mo kaya no need for di boxes. pero kung DI recording ang habol mo check mo yung interface mo kung may hi-z input or instrument input that will do. ang purpose kasi ng diboxes is to make any input level convert it to line level (low noise level). tsaka kung mag invest ka sa low quality DI box baka mag sisi ka.
try to invest in a better DI box. just my 2 cents