hulika

Author Topic: Club 98 - The DEAD-SOUNDING PRS Thread **Top 2% Guitars NOT ALLOWED**  (Read 14100 times)

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
true!!! I also wish I did this during the 90's especially with guitars

nung 90s.... no regrets kasi wala pa ako nun na sariling pera hahahaha!
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
But does "hiyaw" djent?  :?
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus

maybe?  :lol: :lol:
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yup. I agree. That's why you need BOTH a screaming guitar AND awesome chops. If you only have 1 out of 2 then you have to work your a** off either to buy gear or improve your playing.

Gear + skills = Rapsa

agree din ako dito. it takes two to tango ika nga :)  :wink: >:D
AMMK!!!

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic

On that note, does hiyaw even matter for aggressive, riff-based, heavily downtuned styles like djent? From what I know, the hiyaw phenomenon only seems to be present when sustaining a note - say, when bending a string. Food for thought.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
On that note, does hiyaw even matter for aggressive, riff-based, heavily downtuned styles like djent? From what I know, the hiyaw phenomenon only seems to be present when sustaining a note - say, when bending a string. Food for thought.

On Paul Reed Smith's TEDTalk he talked about how guitars are "subtractive" instruments in that it naturally does not return the same amount of energy that is applied to it. He also argued that "magical" guitars are those which return most of the energy that is applied to it or "subtracts less".

I personally think that Paul is refering to hiyaw in that TEDTalk and that he was not refering to the swirly sound you hear when sustaining a note.

If we use Paul's description as basis for hiyaw then it may benefit guitars used in any genre.

#DigitalHiyaw

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
I personally think that Paul is refering to hiyaw in that TEDTalk and that he was not refering to the swirly sound you hear when sustaining a note.

To my knowledge, FM55's definition of 'hiyaw' is, precisely, that swirly sound when sustaining a note. He claims that only a small percentage of guitars (hence, 2%) really exhibit this property during bends and such.

Moreover, some people have said that the equivalent of 'hiyaw' in English is 'note bloom' (which is probably what PRS is referring to). But consider also that 'hiyaw' can be directly translated as 'cry' or 'crying' in English. As though the guitar, when performing a bluesy bend, is 'crying'.

In other words, I think that when FM55 (who is primarily a blues/rock guy) plays and listens to a guitar, he is after a guitar that really 'speaks' in a sense. And typically, you can test this out by bending and note and listening for that swirling sound.

...Which brings me back to my earlier point, maybe it's perfectly okay for guitars to not have hiyaw if your style of music doesn't even really call for hiyaw to manifest in the first place. A good example, as I mentioned, would be djent. I personally don't really care tbh, as I'm more concerned about playing cleanly over the chord changes than anything else. :lol:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:00:55 PM by throwinshapes »

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
To my knowledge, FM55's definition of 'hiyaw' is, precisely, that swirly sound when sustaining a note. He claims that only a small percentage of guitars (hence, 2%) really exhibit this property during bends and such.

Moreover, some people have said that the equivalent of 'hiyaw' in English is 'note bloom' (which is probably what PRS is referring to). But consider also that 'hiyaw' can be directly translated as 'cry' or 'crying' in English. As though the guitar, when performing a bluesy bend, is 'crying'.

In other words, I think that when FM55 (who is primarily a blues/rock guy) plays and listens to a guitar, he is after a guitar that really 'speaks' in a sense. And typically, you can test this out by bending and note and listening for that swirling sound.

...Which brings me back to my earlier point, maybe it's perfectly okay for guitars to not have hiyaw if your style of music doesn't even really call for hiyaw to manifest in the first place. A good example, as I mentioned, would be djent. I personally don't really care tbh, as I'm more concerned about playing cleanly over the chord changes than anything else. :lol:

I think all guitars can be imbued with that swirly sound. It's called a Rotovibe  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
I think all guitars can be imbued with that swirly sound. It's called a Rotovibe  :-D

Tone is in the rotovibe pala. Nako, magiging requirement na yan para sa lahat ng pedalboard. :lol:

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tone is in the rotovibe pala. Nako, magiging requirement na yan para sa lahat ng pedalboard. :lol:

Haha korek!  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

Though bending notes define much of what guitar is... very few other instruments allow you such expression... I don't only bend notes 95% of the time.  Hiyaw determination is a short cut to determine the other desire-able qualities of an electric guitar.

Guitars with hiyaw often also exhibit ALL of the following:

1) above average to superior sustain
2) note definition -- not muddy
3) note harmony -- notes sound 'kabit' playing chords or even double stops
4) rich overtones (most important to me)
5) loudness -- yup its not only in the winding of the pickup that determines loudness but more of the wood
6) Ability to Stay in Tune
7) Neck Stability
8) Woody Tone -- I mean the strings do not dominate the tone coming from the guitar; rather the body wood's timbre is heard more
9) sounds great even on a clean guitar amp
10) so easy to play even on gauge 10 strings -- makes them feel like gauge 9 or gauge 8

For me hiyaw, is a dipstick, to quickly assess guitars.

Offline throwinshapes

• Forum Fanatic
snip

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, sir FM. :)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Though bending notes define much of what guitar is... very few other instruments allow you such expression... I don't only bend notes 95% of the time.  Hiyaw determination is a short cut to determine the other desire-able qualities of an electric guitar.

Guitars with hiyaw often also exhibit ALL of the following:

1) above average to superior sustain
2) note definition -- not muddy
3) note harmony -- notes sound 'kabit' playing chords or even double stops
4) rich overtones (most important to me)
5) loudness -- yup its not only in the winding of the pickup that determines loudness but more of the wood
6) Ability to Stay in Tune
7) Neck Stability
8) Woody Tone -- I mean the strings do not dominate the tone coming from the guitar; rather the body wood's timbre is heard more
9) sounds great even on a clean guitar amp
10) so easy to play even on gauge 10 strings -- makes them feel like gauge 9 or gauge 8

For me hiyaw, is a dipstick, to quickly assess guitars.

I think these all add up to the "orchestral" quality that Paul was talking about in his TEDTalk. I personally believe that these "magical" guitars exist and could definitely benefit guitarists of any genre.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
OT

I really would like to have a PRS guitar  :idea:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
OT

I really would like to have a PRS guitar  :idea:
But sadly,  the chance to get one that belongs to the 98% dead sounding guitar is 100% without Fm55's help.  :idea:

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
But sadly,  the chance to get one that belongs to the 98% dead sounding guitar is 100% without Fm55's help.  :idea:

OK lang yun. Nasa "Indian naman daw at wala sa pana"  :lol:

Just opened up a whole new can of worms  :-P
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus

HAHA!  :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Club 98 - The DEAD-SOUNDING PRS Thread **Top 2% Guitars NOT ALLOWED**
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2017, 05:55:04 AM »

Kaso ang magaling na Indian ay namili ng pana.  At si cowboy, namili ng baril.  We all know how that turned out... Naghanap rin ng baril si Indian.

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2017, 06:00:28 AM »
Kaso ang magaling na Indian ay namili ng pana.  At si cowboy, namili ng baril.  We all know how that turned out... Naghanap rin ng baril si Indian.

panalong linya to! hahaha

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »
:mrgreen:

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Wala sa Indian yan nasa Native American yan.  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
ot - nagka anak at nag asawa na yung iba dito (ang ilan baog) di pa rin tapos yang hiyaw na yan

wala naman gitarista na sumikat o yumaman sa hiyaw na yan

me to kirk hammett - "nice 59 dude may hiyaw yan?"
hammett = "????what? [strawberry] off beavis"
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2017, 05:14:04 PM »
ot - nagka anak at nag asawa na yung iba dito (ang ilan baog) di pa rin tapos yang hiyaw na yan

Ditto!
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2017, 12:59:07 AM »

Bakit?  Yumaman ba kayo maski na walang hiyaw ang gitara niyo?

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2017, 08:58:48 AM »
Bakit?  Yumaman ba kayo maski na walang hiyaw ang gitara niyo?

Shux I need hiyaw in my life. Kailangan kong yumaman hahaha.
#DigitalHiyaw