hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1164632 times)

Offline GGBR

Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #875 on: June 23, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
They had a much fancier Taylor 12 as well, the Taylor looked nicer and felt great in the hands but when it came to sound it just vanished compared to the Guild.  Wanted one ever since, I figure for someone who doesn't have all kinds of fancy chops an instrument like that is ideal, just keep it simple, keep it clean, and live on tone...

I sense that you can really "play"... sans the 'fancy chops' that tend to mask the unskilled finger. Would be interesting to listen to you. :-o 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:25:28 AM by GGBR »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #876 on: June 23, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
Chito - Post ko later yung instructions for UST. Was out of town last week.

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #877 on: June 23, 2008, 10:05:55 PM »
I sense that you can really "play"... sans the 'fancy chops' that tend to mask the unskilled finger. Would be interesting to listen to you. :-o 

Come to Sagada sometime, and stop on by... I'm in this kinda self-imposed exile mode, don't leave here much.

I guess if "play" means "something done for fun or recreation", then I really play.  But I'd be nuts to come on here and say I'm good, because I'm sure there's people here who do stuff with a guitar that I can't dream of.

Maybe it's an old guy thing or something, but right now playing fast or fancy just doesn't mean much for me, I'd rather take a 3-chord song and try to find a way to do a little more with less, if that makes any sense.  Maybe part of that is just having a guitar that sounds really really good...

I brought a great acoustic over about 100 years ago, Epiphone PR765, got stolen in Manila in '91, still wonder where it ended up.  Just remember one early morning n the late 80's, after one of those late 80's sleepless nights... sitting on the front porch at Sct Limbaga in the QC, Pepe Smith picked up that instrument, picked up a glass, tuned to open E, and the next 2 hours I'll never forget.  Nobody else heard it, everyone else around was asleep or unconscious... but for me what I and nobody else heard on that morning was what it's all about.  maybe I'll get there someday...

Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #878 on: June 24, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Of course if I could play like this guy I'd feel differently about playing fast...

feature=related

I like  :-D

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #879 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
he also played with my guitar once. i was really awed. pepe may not be a standard in guitars but he plays well. i only asked for an autograph he gave my lumanog more than what i bargained for. heheh.
strum away!

Offline GGBR

« Reply #880 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:30 PM »
Of course if I could play like this guy I'd feel differently about playing fast...

feature=related

I like  :-D

He makes the Baby Taylor sound like a giant!  That's artistry! Anybody who can play as well sing like that around?? PLease let me know! I want to hear artists here and not "technicians" who just talk about the guitar..... :-D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:16:32 PM by GGBR »

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #881 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »
He makes the Baby Taylor sound like a giant!  That's artistry! Anybody who can play as well sing like that around?? PLease let me know! I want to hear artists here and not "technicians" who just talk about the guitar..... :-D

a plus one for this remark. i just realized i need to give justice to my guitar. man it sounds lousy with me.

to regular programming.... anyone tried this yet?

http://www.artecsound.com/effect/index.html

i gig, and i already have a direct box. i want the lr baggs d.i. for my passive piezo equipped guitar but i can't afford it just yet. preamp options are really headaches. heheh

im saving for my acoustic, and my future acoustic. heheh. this thread just gave me my acoustic gas back. heheh.

kick me out of this thread im starting to sound like a tech again. hahah.
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #882 on: June 26, 2008, 08:05:53 AM »
a plus one for this remark. i just realized i need to give justice to my guitar. man it sounds lousy with me.

to regular programming.... anyone tried this yet?

http://www.artecsound.com/effect/index.html

i gig, and i already have a direct box. i want the lr baggs d.i. for my passive piezo equipped guitar but i can't afford it just yet. preamp options are really headaches. heheh

im saving for my acoustic, and my future acoustic. heheh. this thread just gave me my acoustic gas back. heheh.

kick me out of this thread im starting to sound like a tech again. hahah.

welcome to the club (or should i say, welcome back)!   :-D

what is your current DI box? 

i emailed Artec just recently and they don't ship individual items since they are a factory, they ship in bulk.  what item in particular do you want from them?
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #883 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:33 AM »
i have an art x-direct box. works naman. i hope i can order from micsis he sells those here.  :-D. actually im planning to get an acoustic, then lagyan ko ng pickups. pero right now yung acoustic preamp nila ang gusto ko. parang guitar -> preamp -> chorus -> direct box.  :-D.
strum away!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #884 on: June 26, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »
i got to try some nice acoustics last week out of town...  made me remember that idea about holding an acoustic tone party or acoustic GAS Day.  everybody bring their babies, talk shop, and then jam!  we need a secure and closed (ie, not open air) location though.

what do you guys think?  (paging, farseer, blue_buddha, etc.)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #885 on: June 26, 2008, 09:56:09 AM »
i have an art x-direct box. works naman. i hope i can order from micsis he sells those here.  :-D. actually im planning to get an acoustic, then lagyan ko ng pickups. pero right now yung acoustic preamp nila ang gusto ko. parang guitar -> preamp -> chorus -> direct box.  :-D.

active pa ba si micsis?  parang hindi ko na sya masyado nakikita nagpopost.  if he sells Artec here, then i'll be glad to order.  my acoustic is currently in need of a new preamp-pickup system.  bumigay na yung stock eh.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #886 on: June 26, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
i got to try some nice acoustics last week out of town...  made me remember that idea about holding an acoustic tone party or acoustic GAS Day.  everybody bring their babies, talk shop, and then jam!  we need a secure and closed (ie, not open air) location though.

i dig.  :-D

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #887 on: June 26, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
active pa ba si micsis?  parang hindi ko na sya masyado nakikita nagpopost.  if he sells Artec here, then i'll be glad to order.  my acoustic is currently in need of a new preamp-pickup system.  bumigay na yung stock eh.

yep ive seen his thread ulit kaya ayun tinamaan na naman ako ng gas.
strum away!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #888 on: June 26, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
yep ive seen his thread ulit kaya ayun tinamaan na naman ako ng gas.

nagreply sya sa PM ko kaya lang tingin ko Artec pedals lang ang carried nya...hindi kasama mga pickups and preamps.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #889 on: June 27, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »

nakupo. yun na lang masasabi ko. hehehe. :D

sana lang handa na yung gitara ko pag nangyari to. umorder pa kasi ako ng stuff para naman ma-"pimp" ko yung acoustic ko. hehehe.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #890 on: June 27, 2008, 09:10:14 PM »
i hope this isn't scheduled any time soon...i'm having my acoustic repaired.  hay...this will be the first time for me kaya it's kinda stressful..but i am optimistic about the possibilities!  :-)

sana talaga makahabol ako dito sa acoustic jam.  if my guitar gets through, then complete ang dala ko.  but if not, i can only offer my amp.  :-D

let me know!

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #891 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
haha. don't hold your breath. ilang beses na ito binalak, di pa rin natuloy tuloy.  i'm just keeping the idea afloat... baka sakali mag align ang "stars of the acoustic world".  ;-)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #892 on: June 27, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »
if i remember correctly, merong nagplano ng acoustic jam in the early pages of this thread.  hindi ba natuloy yun?   :-D

oh well....sana lang talaga maayos na yung acoustic ko at makahabol sa jam na to.  :-)

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #893 on: June 28, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »
i hope this isn't scheduled any time soon...i'm having my acoustic repaired.  hay...this will be the first time for me kaya it's kinda stressful..but i am optimistic about the possibilities!  :-)

sana talaga makahabol ako dito sa acoustic jam.  if my guitar gets through, then complete ang dala ko.  but if not, i can only offer my amp.  :-D

let me know!

Ouch... that would be stressful; I'd take an electric in for repair with no worry at all, but the acoustic... what's wrong with your guitar, and who's working on it?

Acoustic jam would be fun, but given where I live I'm not likely to be there.  Do have to get down to Manila one of these days, a friend there just got back from the US and brought me 2 sets of John Pearse phosphor bronze .013s.  Treasure...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #894 on: June 28, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Ouch... that would be stressful; I'd take an electric in for repair with no worry at all, but the acoustic... what's wrong with your guitar, and who's working on it?

the preamp/pickup system no longer works.  a good friend is working on it.  but i'm still talking to a manufacturer in Korea because i'm having items shipped here.  i'm just waiting for their quotation on their items.  once i receive these items, that's when we'll go to work on the guitar.

Acoustic jam would be fun, but given where I live I'm not likely to be there.  Do have to get down to Manila one of these days, a friend there just got back from the US and brought me 2 sets of John Pearse phosphor bronze .013s.  Treasure...

13s?  a little too heavy for me..i borrowed a guitar from this good friend mentioned above and it's fitted with Pearse 11s.  just right.  :-)

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #895 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Well, if the issue is electronic it may be a little easier to have someone laying hands on it.  Hope it all works out.

.013s are heavy, but somehow the size of a Guild jumbo seems to call for big strings.  When I get a 12 string I'll keep lights on the f50R and use the 12 when I want big full tone.  And wouldn't it be cool to have another 6 string to keep in an open tuning, just for when you want to mess with that...

I'm a sick man.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #896 on: June 28, 2008, 11:41:25 PM »
And wouldn't it be cool to have another 6 string to keep in an open tuning, just for when you want to mess with that...

I always have 2 resonators/guitars on open tuning (open G and open D/Dm). It's fun -- like changing channels on your TV.   :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #897 on: June 28, 2008, 11:56:33 PM »
Well, if the issue is electronic it may be a little easier to have someone laying hands on it.  Hope it all works out.

thanks!  i certainly hope so because i don't have the dough yet to get a new one.   :-D

.013s are heavy, but somehow the size of a Guild jumbo seems to call for big strings.  When I get a 12 string I'll keep lights on the f50R and use the 12 when I want big full tone.  And wouldn't it be cool to have another 6 string to keep in an open tuning, just for when you want to mess with that...

wouldn't lights be okay on a jumbo because it will still have great volume and a full tone because of its body construction?  yes it would be cool to have a few more guitars at your disposal.  :-)

I'm a sick man.

aren't we all?  :-D

Offline strummer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #898 on: June 29, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
nagreply sya sa PM ko kaya lang tingin ko Artec pedals lang ang carried nya...hindi kasama mga pickups and preamps.

ow men... heheh. sayang! as for the preamp artec has a pedal/ preamp. i think he can order that. money na lang kulang. heheh
strum away!

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #899 on: June 30, 2008, 03:20:51 AM »
Has anyone tried the bridge transducer pickups sold at Lyric? Mura din eh. :-) Comments please?
paano mapipigil ang isang damdamin
kung ang sinisigaw, ikaw ang lahat sa ahakin!